Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my battalion chaplain asst was a super hot girl with something like 15 hello kitty tattoos

did she have daddy issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

*father issues :eng101:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

redneck nazgul posted:

:golfclap:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Our BN Chaplain is super religous dude, but he owns. He never forces it on anyone, and just is an all around helpful dude who'll do whatever it takes to fix people's issues.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

redneck nazgul posted:

nice

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
We had a chaplains assistant he would stand in random spots during battalion formations and say hosed up things to give people the giggles.

"Hitler wasn't such a bad guy. He really just asked for a glass of jewwwwwwce" comes to mind.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It really speaks to something about the military that the average soldier's response to the general earnestness and positivity of a Chaplain is distrust and disdain.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

Lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

who knows but after I got out the Army found out they had a hot girl in their midst and promptly started putting her in National Guard ads

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I did a story on a CA who was super laid back and chill. He was an Amazon best seller (author) and reasonably successful. I told him an idea for a book I’m too lazy to write and he said he will steal the idea if I don’t do t. Gave me motivation to write a few short stories.

Then he got out, and I was like “man. This dude is doing it!” Bought a farm, wrote a book for his kid called “Daddy has PTSD” or something. Really living that life.

Until Trump came around. He turbo nerded into a Trump supporter and just went toxic. I was upset because he was a good dude. gently caress that poo poo though. I eventually had to block him

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So getting ready for my retirement I'm taking time off to substitute teach little kids (3rd grade and below) and get ready for the certification exams/college and it's really weird the Soldier worship civilians seem to have.

I haven't spent too much time outside of people associated with the military so I haven't really experienced it too much til now. But it's some weird poo poo.

The other teachers/parents constantly thank me for my service, but it's the 6 year olds that weirds me out. Like, I've seen a couple of parents send their kids to thank a servicemember before, but there's a ton of kids that just do it on their own. Where the hell is this coming from? I would think that maybe people's dads were poo poo on after vietnam and they decided to go hard the other direction maybe to make up for it?

15 years ago after my first deployment I loved it, now it's kinda weird.

BTW guys. Go be a substitute teacher. You don't need any special education or anything for it. You just apply to your city school's HR department and pass the background check. It pays 120$ a day (for my area) and you show up to work at 0745 and are pulling out of the parking lot at 1430. You pick what days, and what schools, you will work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Substitutes where I live make $10/hr.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In Baltimore when I did it, it was 10$/hour, with 2$/hr bonus if you went long term.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sub pay is highly variable. I haven't subbed, but I had a couple family members who did, and in that state you got paid basically nothing for the first 5-10 times you subbed, then got paid a lot more after that, and there was a bonus based on how often they could cold-call you and you were able to sub on very short notice.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

That sucks. I guess it just depends on how desperate they are. It's just a flat rate here. Either a full day, or half day, is the way you're paid. And you only need to sub once a month to be considered active.

I'm using it to get to know the administrators and systems in my city. The money isn't really anything I'm concerned about. So far I've been told that once I get out of the Army, and get my certification, I've got a job.

And so far it's awesome. I can't begin to describe how putting in what we would consider minimum effort (just showing up on time and meeting extremely low minimum standards) puts you head and shoulders above so many other teachers. It's really sad. But I'm really excited to get my own class in a year or two.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 16, 2018

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

So getting ready for my retirement I'm taking time off to substitute teach little kids (3rd grade and below) and get ready for the certification exams/college and it's really weird the Soldier worship civilians seem to have.

I haven't spent too much time outside of people associated with the military so I haven't really experienced it too much til now. But it's some weird poo poo.

The other teachers/parents constantly thank me for my service, but it's the 6 year olds that weirds me out. Like, I've seen a couple of parents send their kids to thank a servicemember before, but there's a ton of kids that just do it on their own. Where the hell is this coming from? I would think that maybe people's dads were poo poo on after vietnam and they decided to go hard the other direction maybe to make up for it?

15 years ago after my first deployment I loved it, now it's kinda weird.

BTW guys. Go be a substitute teacher. You don't need any special education or anything for it. You just apply to your city school's HR department and pass the background check. It pays 120$ a day (for my area) and you show up to work at 0745 and are pulling out of the parking lot at 1430. You pick what days, and what schools, you will work.

It really is crazy. Sometimes an engagement manager will introduce me to clients as a vet and certain people get very over the top with the thank yous. I mean I guess that’s a good thing but I feel like I’d want to know about how good I am at business stuff (not v good)?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheAlphaChaser posted:

It really is crazy. Sometimes an engagement manager will introduce me to clients as a vet and certain people get very over the top with the thank yous. I mean I guess that’s a good thing but I feel like I’d want to know about how good I am at business stuff (not v good)?

I guess it's a good problem to have. I've heard some pretty horrible poo poo from my friends in other nations armies where people don't really like them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
”I was in the Army” in job interview would be met with ”No poo poo, everyone was”.

Any further than the mandatory wouldn’t help much either.
”Did 13 years as career NCO” in Finland is a pretty good way to tell everyone that no one should hire you.

Their Finnish name for career NCO is ”kantapeikko” which is ”career ogre” or ”permatroll”. No one gets thanked for their service.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 16, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Sub pay is highly variable. I haven't subbed, but I had a couple family members who did, and in that state you got paid basically nothing for the first 5-10 times you subbed, then got paid a lot more after that, and there was a bonus based on how often they could cold-call you and you were able to sub on very short notice.

If you can get hired as a full time sub it's a pretty good deal. Same pay and benefits (including union membership) as the normal teachers, but no lesson planning or meetings.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
No one is more depressed than I. I am a career ogre, a leader of morons.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I hope we have a three time substitute teacher of the year award winner in here.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Aranan posted:

The biggest newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat, ran a strip of Viivi&Wagner where the other main character is in a bar, and is bothered by a crying NCO who incoherently rambles about "divorce, no future, depression, frustration, lack of love life" etc etc, and the main character just looks at him and says "shees, a grown man crying".
It's pretty big part of national identity that Career NCOs are alcoholic losers who couldn't hack it in the real world, have no marketable skills, and live a lovely life and are emotionally unstable.

Looking back now, it's kind of hilarious how different countries can be with this, lol.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

The biggest newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat, ran a strip of Viivi&Wagner where the other main character is in a bar, and is bothered by a crying NCO who incoherently rambles about "divorce, no future, depression, frustration, lack of love life" etc etc, and the main character just looks at him and says "shees, a grown man crying".
It's pretty big part of national identity that Career NCOs are alcoholic losers who couldn't hack it in the real world, have no marketable skills, and live a lovely life and are emotionally unstable.

Looking back now, it's kind of hilarious how different countries can be with this, lol.

They aren't wrong

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Yeah, that sounds completely accurate.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Career Ogre sounds as gently caress, and I'm putting that as my job title on poo poo that don't matter.

Permatroll is a much better term than lifer.

Subbing is cool, and a good way to give back some. I did long term for most of a school year. I got to do some cool poo poo, help kids, and learned a bunch about myself, and our system. I did the full experience- lesson planning, P/T conference, all of it. I did HS, and also learned that even if you are a hideous troll, teenage girls will hit on anything in authority. One I actually got into therapy after she kept hitting on me, and I finally just blurted out "what the gently caress is going on in your house?" She broke down, and started crying. She told me she just wanted someone to care about her- broken, hosed up home, sexual assault in the past, normal poo poo for Baltimore. I was never alone with students- everything had witnesses, but I still was paranoid.

I also had a 5' male student- real dorky, socially awkward kid- try to fight me after he got in trouble. He tried to intimidate me by punching a locker. I got in trouble for laughing at him when I told my supervisor about what happened. That same day, I broke up 3 fights in 45 minutes. One of them took a couple of the bigger male students to break up. We found out that it was a gang jump in, which is why it was so difficult compared to normal fights.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Aranan posted:

As a career ogre I realize I’m non-essential and replaceable.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Career Ogre sounds as gently caress, and I'm putting that as my job title on poo poo that don't matter.

Permatroll is a much better term than lifer.

Subbing is cool, and a good way to give back some. I did long term for most of a school year. I got to do some cool poo poo, help kids, and learned a bunch about myself, and our system. I did the full experience- lesson planning, P/T conference, all of it. I did HS, and also learned that even if you are a hideous troll, teenage girls will hit on anything in authority. One I actually got into therapy after she kept hitting on me, and I finally just blurted out "what the gently caress is going on in your house?" She broke down, and started crying. She told me she just wanted someone to care about her- broken, hosed up home, sexual assault in the past, normal poo poo for Baltimore. I was never alone with students- everything had witnesses, but I still was paranoid.

I also had a 5' male student- real dorky, socially awkward kid- try to fight me after he got in trouble. He tried to intimidate me by punching a locker. I got in trouble for laughing at him when I told my supervisor about what happened. That same day, I broke up 3 fights in 45 minutes. One of them took a couple of the bigger male students to break up. We found out that it was a gang jump in, which is why it was so difficult compared to normal fights.

Ahem.
NON-Commissioned Officers.

You troll

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
So I found out this week I am not deploying with about half my company while the rest of the brigade and division HQ does. I'm getting stuck with some rear D equipment that isn't mine for a couple months but that's a small price to pay.

Now I can finally focus on applying to grad school this fall and getting out next summer and I'm ... happy? I'm not used to this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Do not say that word until you have DD214 in hand lest the slumbering green weenie cracks an eye lid in your direction.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Speaking of army band, our colors are getting cased in October, so I’m using this as an opportunity to reclass from motor t to band geek. The unit I want is in the army reserves instead of the guard, but my audition is on next Saturday and they have a slot for a guitarist, so I’m optimistic that there will be a way In.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Fact: every person who professed a future plan to get out while on active duty died of aids before they could.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Fact: every person who professed a future plan to get out while on active duty died of aids before they could.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Speaking of army band, our colors are getting cased in October, so I’m using this as an opportunity to reclass from motor t to band geek. The unit I want is in the army reserves instead of the guard, but my audition is on next Saturday and they have a slot for a guitarist, so I’m optimistic that there will be a way In.

Cool, good luck! Army School of Music is pretty chill, especially if you're MOS-T. Just make sure you get good at recognizing Navy and Marine SNCO ranks. ASOM is also NAVSOM, and the Navy/Marines get pissy if you can't tell a Senior Chief from a Master Chief or if you say "Sergeant" to a Gunnery Sergeant, and their complaints go all the way up the Navy chain and then all the way down the Army side, so everybody hears about it.

A cycle or two before I went through, the Army class was so bad at the other services' ranks that the platoon sergeants eventually had them in the barracks parking lot, going through an obstacle course of traffic cones with Navy and Marine DA photos taped to them, giving the correct greeting of the day to each one as they passed.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Loden Taylor posted:

A cycle or two before I went through, the Army class was so bad at the other services' ranks that the platoon sergeants eventually had them in the barracks parking lot, going through an obstacle course of traffic cones with Navy and Marine DA photos taped to them, giving the correct greeting of the day to each one as they passed.
That's... actually not a terrible idea. Are you sure this was really the Army?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Lmbo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pro tip, you might not get guitarist but they will have poo poo like sound and set. Ask about those. That’s how my buddy got back in the band and trumpet was full.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

replace blue collar jobs defense contracting and i think it would be more accurate for your average forever-war soldier

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Also throw polo shirts tucked into dad jeans, military haircuts despite no longer being in the military, and vapes.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Or 5.11 pants instead of dad jeans because they can't live without cargo pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Under Armour golf polos with 5.11s and combat boots. That and some tacticlol looking Oakley sunglasses.