Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Yeah, canned ones are consistently good and very reliable. Like a good bra, in which you can also store tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My parents used to buy Roma tomatoes in the winter if we wanted fresh ones, but I dunno if that's because they're actually better, or if it's one of their many weird food habits.
I don't know why, but the roma tomatoes I see in supermarkets here do often seem to be riper and nicer than the other kinds available. :shrug:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yeah, canned ones are consistently good and very reliable. Like a good bra, in which you can also store tomatoes.

Canned tomatoes are picked in season and immediately canned, so they are always good quality and fresh.

"Fresh" tomatoes are grown year round, picked under ripe, coated with wax, shipped 3000 miles in a truck treated with gas to ripen them in transit, and held in coolers until sold.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Canned tomatoes are picked in season and immediately canned, so they are always good quality and fresh.

"Fresh" tomatoes are grown year round, picked under ripe, coated with wax, shipped 3000 miles in a truck treated with gas to ripen them in transit, and held in coolers until sold.

That's what my family did. Grew our own tomatoes for the season, and near end of season, the whole extended family would drive out for a pick your own special at a tomato farm, load every car up with bushels of tomatoes, and have a big canning party at grandma's house that covered the rest of the year. Even made our own ketchup and jalepeno ketchup.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

That's what my family did. Grew our own tomatoes for the season, and near end of season, the whole extended family would drive out for a pick your own special at a tomato farm, load every car up with bushels of tomatoes, and have a big canning party at grandma's house that covered the rest of the year. Even made our own ketchup and jalepeno ketchup.

:yeah:

I'm partial to pickled tomatoes myself.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I used to dread Sauce Day because my mom insisted on some genie's lamp tomato smooshing contraption and it made everyone's arms tired.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I stew, strain, bag, and freeze my excess garden tomatoes. I'm planting extra romas this year just for that purpose.

Ohhh it's time to get seeds into little pots on my window sill isn't it! :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, King of the Hill wasn't bullshitting about tomatoes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Iron Crowned posted:

So how are normies supposed to go about getting a good tomato?

Buy in season. You could also try the 'field tomatoes' rather than the perfect looking hothouse tomatoes. You still won't get tomatoes that were picked ripe that way though. Maybe a farmers market.

If you have a balcony or any outdoor access at all, or maybe even big windows and a crazy bright apartment, you can try growing Tumbler Tomatoes. Only cherry type tomatoes can be grown in hanging baskets though, and in the spring the garden centers will often sell appropriate varieties already planted in hanging pots. You just need a place to hang one. They don't need pruning or staking or anything, you hang them up and water them. Depending on climate you'll get a continuous supply of tiny tomatoes for a 2 or 3 months.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Keep in mind that having a tumbler tomato supply will lead to your neighbors staring at you in horror as you shove tomatoes in your face like a animal.

As for weird textures I hate avocados. They're gooshy and fatty and altogether unpleasant and that's before you get to the funky dirt flavor. I think everyone that likes them is nuts.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

http://www.nydailynews.com/syndication/best-study-claims-pizza-productive-work-article-1.3873203

The question now, of course, is, "What is pizza?" Behold, the architect of your inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fizzymercy posted:

Keep in mind that having a tumbler tomato supply will lead to your neighbors staring at you in horror as you shove tomatoes in your face like a animal.

As for weird textures I hate avocados. They're gooshy and fatty and altogether unpleasant and that's before you get to the funky dirt flavor. I think everyone that likes them is nuts.

:hfive:

Avocados, like cilantro and mayonnaise, are loving disgusting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

You got 2 out of 3 right.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

You got 2 out of 3 right.

I think you'll find that I'm always right. :colbert:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fizzymercy posted:

You and me, friendo, against the world. A world full of insanely wrong people.

Randaconda posted:

So close, but leave cilantro out of this. :argh:

I will admit though, too much can be a distraction in dishes. Just the right amount though? bone ape tit

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Randaconda posted:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Buy in season. You could also try the 'field tomatoes' rather than the perfect looking hothouse tomatoes. You still won't get tomatoes that were picked ripe that way though. Maybe a farmers market.

If you have a balcony or any outdoor access at all, or maybe even big windows and a crazy bright apartment, you can try growing Tumbler Tomatoes. Only cherry type tomatoes can be grown in hanging baskets though, and in the spring the garden centers will often sell appropriate varieties already planted in hanging pots. You just need a place to hang one. They don't need pruning or staking or anything, you hang them up and water them. Depending on climate you'll get a continuous supply of tiny tomatoes for a 2 or 3 months.

OHHHHHHHHHHH :neckbeard: I wanna do this to supplement the rios I'm gonna grow this year, ty

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
how long before this becomes several smileys too

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Avocado on its own is indeed a strange earthy flavour. I like it but I can see why people wouldn't.

Avocado mashed with onions, garlic, lime juice, cumin and jalapeno peppers is divinity itself and I will fight in its honour.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Would:randstare::randpop:

boar guy posted:

http://micuisine.com/lunapiercook/?p=1324

Jackson Coney Island Sauce
1-1/2 pounds ground beef heart
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp paprika

Brown the meat in the vegetable oil but do not drain it. Once it’s browned, add the spices. Also add just enough water to moisten the sauce, maybe a few tablespoons. Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it’s somewhat dryer, while being careful not to let it dry completely. Served over grilled hot dogs having natural casings (Koegel Viennas). Mustard and finely chopped onion are the preferred toppings.

Detroit Coney Island Sauce
1 pound beef heart, finely ground
1/2 pound chuck, finely ground
1/4 cup rendered beef suet
1/4 cup water
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup cracker meal

Brown the beef heart and ground chuck in the suet but do not drain it. Once it’s browned, add the water and the spices. Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary to keep it wet. Once the sauce is simmered, add the cracker meal to tighten it up but not too much. Served over grilled hot dogs having natural casings (Dearborn Brand). Mustard and finely chopped onon are the preferred toppings.

Flint Coney Island Sauce
1/2 lb Beef kidney, finely ground
1/2 lb Beef heart, finely ground
1/4 cup rendered beef suet or lard
3 tbsp of paprika
2 tbsp of chili powder
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

In a small pot melt the rendered beef suet or lard. In a large mixing bowl mix all but the salt and pepper by hand. Gently crumble the meat mixture into a medium pot, add the melted fat and stir well. Set for low heat and allow the pot to heat up. Simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes, adding suet or lard as necessary to prevent the meat from drying out. When the simmer is done, add salt and pepper to taste and finish stirring. Served over grilled hot dogs having natural casings (Koegel Viennas). Mustard and finely chopped onion are the preferred toppings.

(Detroit style ftw)

This is an excellent post

I'll have to try and remember to go there next time I'm in LA

Randaconda posted:

I agree Cilantro is gross, but mayo and avocado are good(although the latter is better in guacamole form than by itself)

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I am literally lying on a beach in Hawaii right now, eating a local variant of guacamole that involves Tahitian lime, butter avocado, some kind of pink rock salt, finely chopped sweet yellow onion, and slivers of green mango.

There has never been anything more delicious. It looks horrible though

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I'll have to try and remember to go there next time I'm in LA

tommy's is fine if you like a falling apart sloppy rear end chiliburg but there are no decent coneys on the west coast afaik

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:yaycloud:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Avocado works best as an ingredient in something else or as a side dish imo. I'm not sure why you'd just eat it by itself.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

elise the great posted:

I am literally lying on a beach in Hawaii right now, eating a local variant of guacamole that involves Tahitian lime, butter avocado, some kind of pink rock salt, finely chopped sweet yellow onion, and slivers of green mango.

There has never been anything more delicious. It looks horrible though

Would. Also pics of this amazing monstrosity?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Avocado works best as an ingredient in something else or as a side dish imo. I'm not sure why you'd just eat it by itself.

Yeah, if it's not a fruit then it's an ingredient that needs to be at least cooked.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, if it's not a fruit then it's an ingredient that needs to be at least cooked.

I love avocado. Cooking it just makes it brown and goopy and the thought of cooked avocado makes me sad.

Also it is a fruit.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wife just brought to my attention it is Pi Day (3/14), said we should eat pie. I mentioned we don't have any, and she said "lots of stuff counts as pie though. I mean, you have your 'poptarts are ravioli' thing, so what even is a pie?"

Checkmate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Scathach posted:

I love avocado. Cooking it just makes it brown and goopy and the thought of cooked avocado makes me sad.

Also it is a fruit.

The worst fruit

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Scathach posted:

Also it is a fruit.

Yeah, I should've said mixed with something since I'm not a fan of raw vegetables besides lettuce.

And that's news to me.

Also if white bread is cake, what's brioche?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

:colbert: You leave my hosed-up 1970's colored fruit alone.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Data Graham posted:

My understanding is that the Skyline Chili founder was trying to recreate the hot dogs that were traditionally served at Coney Island.

This is the correct answer.

However, Coney Island was named after the rabbits it was once easy to catch there. So everybody's right!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wife just brought to my attention it is Pi Day (3/14), said we should eat pie. I mentioned we don't have any, and she said "lots of stuff counts as pie though. I mean, you have your 'poptarts are ravioli' thing, so what even is a pie?"

Checkmate.

Pi day only really works in the US, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Marshall Islands.
So go you and enjoy your Pi you middle-endians!
Maybe I’ll eat a meat pie on 31/4 instead.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Helith posted:

Pi day only really works in the US, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Marshall Islands.
So go you and enjoy your Pi you middle-endians!
Maybe I’ll eat a meat pie on 31/4 instead.

I wish you luck

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's tough being a little-endian sometimes.

Pi approximation day is on the 22/7, so now I'm wondering what an approximate pie would look like

"Meh, it's close enough, there's filling and 'pastry'"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Helith posted:

It's tough being a little-endian sometimes.

Pi approximation day is on the 22/7, so now I'm wondering what an approximate pie would look like

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I can't get enough of this gal

https://i.imgur.com/alA9SEO.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/o2yrQvt.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/7qdLLu3.gifv

2:46

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Did somebody say pie?

Vintage recipes are usually okay when it comes to sweets, right? What could go wrong?

quote:

“This is gross.”

“Really? I thought grapefruit pie would be good!”

“You have to try this.”

“Ugh! Why is this so bad?”

“I don’t know. You tell me.”
The Verdict: Gross

From The Tasting Notes –

Almost inedible. Basically tasted like milk that’s past its expiration date. So, so bad. This was a shock, because based on Magic Lemon Pie I thought this was going to be good. The only thing it really had going for it was the graham cracker crust. Maybe the egg yolks in Magic Lemon Pie are the secret ingredient? In either case, don’t waste your time with this one, just go straight for Magic Lemon Pie and be done with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lmao, I grew up always giving an "oh you" kind of tongue-click at recipes that carefully specified the brand of every ingredient to make sure you bought all brands from the same megacorporation. But "Chill in Servel Electrolux" is really head and shoulders into another atmospheric level of shamelessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Helith posted:

Would