Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Holy poo poo thread

Speaking as a cocksucking jew, gently caress off to hell and back and then back to hell again with “but it is fine bc movie is good”

Do not give money to rapists or fascists

You fuckwads realize that “SA poster” would be grounds for being dragged off and shot under fascism?

“But but... göbbels mad a good film or two” quoth the goon as he was shipped to a death camp

Are murderers ok though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You are complicit in rape and child abuse by watching a movie, I spit, skipping over the systematic abuse of child labour and other exploited workers involved in my leisure products.

It's tooooo haaaaard.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't think the consumers, even if they are organized in large numbers, will ever change. It has to start with the greedy parents selling the lives of their children away stopping doing that until actual real protections are put in place. The parents always claim they had no idea, but come on, you knew exactly what environmemt you were sendimg your child into.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

poptart_fairy posted:

You are complicit in rape and child abuse by watching a movie, I spit, skipping over the systematic abuse of child labour and other exploited workers involved in my leisure products.

It's tooooo haaaaard.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
same, but unironically

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Why do you ridicule this logic for one kind of abuse, and not for another? E.g. there is no telling how many movies were influenced by Weinstein's personal vendettas and proteges, not to mention that he's just one of many such people with far reaching influence, so you'd have to take a principled stand and denounce all of Hollywood, period. It's not practical, possible to be truly systematic in erasing tainted works, and it is not convincing as a political act to be willfully selective.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm selective because it makes me feel better.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also yes, parents sending their kids to slave away in Funco Pop factories instead of going to school are just greedy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Also yes, parents sending their kids to slave away in Funco Pop factories instead of going to school are just greedy.

You have a habit of thinking im saying something im not. We are specifically talking about acting, keep up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
poptart very clearly wasn't

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, and that's my point. I see plenty of drama and backpatting over not buying a movie or video game, but remarkably less effort being put into other abuses. If you're going to sit there and tell me I'm complicit in child rape because I'm not bragging about skipping a film, back the gently caress off and take a long look at the poo poo you're consuming and how it came about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Child rape is worse than child labor imo

Sorry to be controversial but I just have to say it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, and that's my point. I see plenty of drama and backpatting over not buying a movie or video game, but remarkably less effort being put into other abuses. If you're going to sit there and tell me I'm complicit in child rape because I'm not bragging about skipping a film, back the gently caress off and take a long look at the poo poo you're consuming and how it came about.

So because I can't stop every problem in the world, I shouldn't try to do anything about the ones that I can. How fortuitous that your moral outlook requires you to do nothing. A cynic might almost think you'd started from "I don't want to do anything" and reasoned backwards to a defense of that point.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sunswipe posted:

So because I can't stop every problem in the world, I shouldn't try to do anything about the ones that I can. How fortuitous that your moral outlook requires you to do nothing. A cynic might almost think you'd started from "I don't want to do anything" and reasoned backwards to a defense of that point.

If you can accuse others of supporting child rape you can get off your arse and sacrifice more than a couple of movies. Grand standing against one individual is a pathetic gesture when attached to yelling about giving money to fascists.

Giving up a single luxury item is not stopping a problem, nor is it any sort of sacrifice. Painting it as otherwise is just fart huffing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sunswipe posted:

Maybe you should just take a long, hard look at your choices, get off your high horse and not preach to others about how morally complicit they are.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Child rape is worse than child labor imo

Sorry to be controversial but I just have to say it.

Combine the two and you have Hollywood!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe you should just take a long, hard look at your choices, get off your high horse and not preach to others about how morally complicit they are.

That's his first post on the subject.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

heh how convenient that you don't have to do anything

*takes a stand by not watching a movie*

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Caufman posted:

Our own fault for picking the wrong side and not pivoting to SS.

This joke has more layers than it has any right to have

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like how my original post was about people saying they "can't watch" poo poo as if they're so morally evolved that they feel some kind of physical reaction, then like three people jumped in talking about giving money to Nazis that are dead and can't even make money

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah. Like if you you don't want your money ending up in scummy hands you'll have to do a lot more than avoid a couple of high profile examples, even discounting rapists and fascists.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also if you see somebody enjoying something, oblivious to its seedy backstory, and your response is to make them feel bad because the creator did a crime, you're a jerk.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People that blame thai food or mexican food for making them sick need to gently caress off and shove an avocado toast up their rear end.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

People that blame thai food or mexican food for making them sick need to gently caress off and shove an avocado toast up their rear end.

what if it actually did though

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hundreds, if not thousands of people contribute to a film. The odds are sky high that one of them is a rapist, wife-beater, child abuser, racist, etc. They may not be important enough to the process that their "vision" is what's on-screen, but by consuming this media you are supplying the paycheck and ensuring future work for Dan the Rapist and Best Boy. You may not know him by name, but there is a near 100% chance that in a group of 500 people, one of them has done something morally heinous. You know drat good and well that if you support any large group, you are supporting at least one monster.

So don't hold a dude morally accountable for murder when he watches Power Rangers.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
None of us are saying don't care about what you choose to consume. I'm just saying don't feel bad about it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Aramek posted:

None of us are saying don't care about what you choose to consume. I'm just saying don't feel bad about it.

I agree!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fred Armisen seems like a douche

I don't have anything hard I'm basing this on, just a strong hunch

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually, feel bad about everything.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Patrick Stewart just wanted to be an action star while he could.

From what I remember, this was a part of it, too. In the original draft, Picard was on Earth trying to get the Phoenix to work while Riker was on board fighting the Borg. Stewart asked for the switch.

It's still one of my favourite movies and I'll cut it some slack on the Borg front because it's a good movie. Same with the Borg queen. She worked in First Contact because the Borg needed a face, but the idea of a single collective being controlled from one point was stupid after that and defeated the idea of the Collective being... well, a collective.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Fred Armisen seems like a douche

I don't have anything hard I'm basing this on, just a strong hunch

Every time I went to Stereogum for like 6 months one of the clickbait taboola articles on the bottom was like "5 Creepy Things Everyone Just Ignores About Fred Armisen"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Das Boo posted:

Hundreds, if not thousands of people contribute to a film. The odds are sky high that one of them is a rapist, wife-beater, child abuser, racist, etc. They may not be important enough to the process that their "vision" is what's on-screen, but by consuming this media you are supplying the paycheck and ensuring future work for Dan the Rapist and Best Boy. You may not know him by name, but there is a near 100% chance that in a group of 500 people, one of them has done something morally heinous. You know drat good and well that if you support any large group, you are supporting at least one monster.

So don't hold a dude morally accountable for murder when he watches Power Rangers.

It's extremely disingenuous to pretend there's no difference between a movie having a grip who raped someone and someone like a director or producer whose position not only gives them the means to commit sexual assault, but the means to silence the victim and weather any damage should that fail. Reducing this to "there's a monster in every group that's big enough" only helps hide the systematic sexual abuse that's active in Hollywood.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mojo1701a posted:

From what I remember, this was a part of it, too. In the original draft, Picard was on Earth trying to get the Phoenix to work while Riker was on board fighting the Borg. Stewart asked for the switch.

It's still one of my favourite movies and I'll cut it some slack on the Borg front because it's a good movie. Same with the Borg queen. She worked in First Contact because the Borg needed a face, but the idea of a single collective being controlled from one point was stupid after that and defeated the idea of the Collective being... well, a collective.

There's more than one Borg Queen. They get created as they're needed.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 has more environment interactivity than pretty much any game right now and that came out in 2001.

Individual ice cube melting physics for one tiny ice bucket in a random room, absolute lad

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

I like how my original post was about people saying they "can't watch" poo poo as if they're so morally evolved that they feel some kind of physical reaction, then like three people jumped in talking about giving money to Nazis that are dead and can't even make money

Have you considered that other people are different from you and might have different feelings about a thing

Perhaps they aren’t posturing but just... feel that way?

Das Boo posted:

Don’t prosecute child abuse because you know drat well that there is unacknowledged child abuse going on! Got it ty!

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Mar 14, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Have you considered that other people are different from you and might have different feelings about a thing

Perhaps they aren’t posturing but just... feel that way?

Dead Nazis can’t turn a profit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fruit on the bottom posted:

Dead Nazis can’t turn a profit.

Harvey Weinstein is neither

Also in that case, it’s still pretttttyyyyt questionable to watch a film by a dead nazi. Have you seen a nazi film? They weren’t good. I’m comfortable avoiding anyone who thinks we need to give Goebbels a second chance.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Mar 14, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, but both him and Hitler were used as examples earlier and it was really stupid.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mojo1701a posted:

There’s a reason there’s a largely superfluous chunk of Nemesis where Picard drives around a dune buggy.

Another nerd PHUO: Star Trek ‘09 and it’s sequels, and Disney shitcanning the Star Wars EU, were exactly what their respective franchises needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don’t prosecute child abuse because you know drat well that there is unacknowledged child abuse going on! Got it ty!

Since folks are having trouble distilling my opinion, I'll spell it out: "It is hypocritical to judge the morality of someone for enjoying something produced by a bad person. You are guilty of the same thing."

I am not including goddamn legal protocol in my opinion as woah, my opinion has nothing to do with judicial prosecution. Where'd you even get that?!