Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EndlessRagdoll posted:

I hate this but I think I love how intentionally excessive it is???

just be glad you can't smell the room in which the photo was taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'll have u know this hovel smells lovely

The robots keep it clean

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
im the treat flinger

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

don’t post pics of your house

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

post pics of your board dude!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I got the new MacBook Pro and the keyboard is ok. it types when I press the keys

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

how are those matias click switches? im strangely intrigued by the shameful mini tactile pro board

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skim Milk posted:

how are those matias click switches? im strangely intrigued by the shameful mini tactile pro board

I really like the matias clicks... although i'm still getting used to the odd keycaps. When I get back home and use it some more I can post a review right here in the POS.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Skim Milk posted:

the switch feels nice. the keys wiggle too much on the stem and after less than a year of use the keys are already getting shiny.

a friend got a unicomp and i like the switches and tkl-ness on the matias better and literally everything else about the unicomp more. (i'm not a huge fan of either one style-wise, though.)

there you go that's my opinion on my keyboard. thank you and god bless.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

pgroce posted:

the switch feels nice. the keys wiggle too much on the stem and after less than a year of use the keys are already getting shiny.

ive had an apple adjustable keyboard lying around for ages which I really want to use. thing has alps switches and loving *pbt keys* but I can't justify spending like £70 on the imate adapter thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Generic Monk posted:

ive had an apple adjustable keyboard lying around for ages which I really want to use. thing has alps switches and loving *pbt keys* but I can't justify spending like £70 on the imate adapter thing

i have the apple extended keyboard II with the alps switches and it's pretty loving sw8. a few of the switches are worn to the point of needing to be rebuilt though

the adb-usb adapter is still half the price of an equivalent new keyboard, so there's that

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

matias incoming tomorrow :homebrew:

this thread has broken me "$120? that's cheap!"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what are some quiter switches in tyool 2018? im on cherry mx black atm and last i read about quiet mechanicals ~le state of art~ was mx browns or mx linears with silencer o-rings

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
electro capacitive/topre

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
matias quiet is good

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Generic Monk posted:

isnt there drop-in arduino code for an adb-usb adapter? if not, it cant be too hard. weirdest thing is prob gonna be the latching capslock

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Generic Monk posted:

get a little microcontroller that has a built-in USB HID stack and chances are someone has implemented ADB support for it so it’s just a matter of wiring it to a 4-pin socket

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raluek posted:

isnt there drop-in arduino code for an adb-usb adapter? if not, it cant be too hard. weirdest thing is prob gonna be the latching capslock

yes, you just need one of the Arduino that can act as USB HID and is also 5V TTL-compatible, like the Leonardo

and the caps lock works fine, it doesn’t continuously send keydown status updates or anything like that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i have the apple extended keyboard II with the alps switches and it's pretty loving sw8. a few of the switches are worn to the point of needing to be rebuilt though

the adb-usb adapter is still half the price of an equivalent new keyboard, so there's that

“equivalent” new keyboard, pfft

the Apple Extended Keyboard and Apple Extended Keyboard II were US$169 when new in 1987 and 1989 respectively, that’s $373.58 and $342.42 today

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

electro capacitive/topre

There Will Be Penalty posted:

matias quiet is good

right i was reading about the two last night and i think i am ready for leopold fc980c with silencer rings

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

infernal machines posted:

og AEK here. have never found a better keyboard in my entire life - literally. this keyboard I’m using came with the Macintosh II my dad bought for his one-man computer toucher consulting firm in 1989, and is almost certainly the first keyboard I ever put my grubby kid fingers on. first time I used it after recovering it from the old man’s basement a while ago I got childhood flashbacks from the sound.

I couldn’t be arsed to to solder a few pins so I just ordered a prebuilt programmable adapter for $40 from a Japanese dude on geekhack: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

the ADB connector is the same as S-video though so it’s really easy to just grab an atmega32u2, a female S-video connector and a 1kohm resistor, and use that guy’s firmware

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 14, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have an mk disco

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

trying to decide between bringing it to my new workplace and using it there or keeping it at home

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I got an iKBC somethingorother with cherry browns at work and a coolermaster masterkeys pbt with cherry blues at home

I think the browns are growing on me more

hrrmm

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
that's because browns are the best

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i also have a das pro with mx browns. it is v. good

they are not by any means quiet, except by comparison to the machine gun sounding mx blues

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

There Will Be Penalty posted:

matias quiet is good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

I might still have my ADB-USB adapter that I'm not using

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

that's because browns are the best

claers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

sounds like wrongthink to me

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I still struggle with browns

you need to be like super-precise, which I'm not

otwhersise it s his

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mike12345 posted:

trump voter spotted

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

if u can go lower than the Japanese guy that I'm already drafting an email to I'm all ears, dm me x @poisonwomb

mike12345 posted:

you need to be like super-precise, which I'm not

otwhersise it s his

browns feel weird like there's grit in the switch or something. blues less so although I find the click to sound a bit cheap (although less so when im not using them on a bare mdf table)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

triple nerd score

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

this is fuckin sick

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this is fuckin sick

Hard to believe they didn't include two blank key caps.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

first day with matias mini tactile pro v5:

feels like more stiff blues but nicer. not a lot of "wiggle" in the keys. i think pbt caps or o-rings or some "tweak" would be v nice

ive had a few mx blue keebs with abs caps and a wasd with clears and pbt caps so thats my reference point

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skim Milk posted:

triple nerd score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

TheFluff posted:

the ADB connector is the same as S-video though so it’s really easy to just grab an atmega32u2, a female S-video connector and a 1kohm resistor, and use that guy’s firmware

yeah this is the way im doing it with my aek and being able to remap keys is worth the extra effort of putting it all together. also if you wana un-lockswitch your caps lock it has support for that too