Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Harvey Weinstein is neither

Also in that case, it’s still pretttttyyyyt questionable to watch a film by a dead nazi. Have you seen a nazi film? They weren’t good. I’m comfortable avoiding anyone who thinks we need to give Goebbels a second chance.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yeah, but both him and Hitler were used as examples earlier and it was really stupid.

yeah they were both used as examples by other posters

they're not good examples, because neither of them made artwork considered good by anybody. all pyf posters do is find the shortest road to Nazi town so they can elicit an emotional response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How, exactly, does depriving yourself of a film combat child abuse, and why is not watching a film considered a significant gesture.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Das Boo posted:

Since folks are having trouble distilling my opinion, I'll spell it out: "It is hypocritical to judge the morality of someone for enjoying something produced by a bad person. You are guilty of the same thing."

I am not including goddamn legal protocol in my opinion as woah, my opinion has nothing to do with judicial prosecution. Where'd you even get that?!

I’m entirely comfortable judging the morality of someone who tacitly supports a KNOWN abuser

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m entirely comfortable judging the morality of someone who tacitly supports a KNOWN abuser

they're saying that watching a movie isn't tacitly supporting the creator, so your response is basically a very self righteous "yeah-huh"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess it depends who.

Every Woody Allen movie is about Woody Allen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

poptart_fairy posted:

How, exactly, does depriving yourself of a film combat child abuse, and why is not watching a film considered a significant gesture.

Presumably because it cuts into the revenue stream. Essentially the same principle as boycotting a company’s products. How effective it is compared to that I honestly don’t know.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

they're saying that watching a movie isn't tacitly supporting the creator, so your response is basically a very self righteous "yeah-huh"

I contend that it is

Also note that I’m not about to fuckin blacklist acquaintences who like what I consider questionable things. something something middle ground cartman

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are ways to watch movies that don't benefit the creator/director/whoever.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Blue Moonlight posted:

There’s a reason there’s a largely superfluous chunk of Nemesis where Picard drives around a dune buggy.

Oh absolutely. I remember the behind-the-scenes featurette where he kept jokingly saying he was related to a car racer also named Stewart.

quote:

Another nerd PHUO: Star Trek ‘09 and it’s sequels, and Disney shitcanning the Star Wars EU, were exactly what their respective franchises needed.

To a point. Star Trek got up its own rear end, but the result so far has been middling at best. The latest one was decent, but they still sacrificed a lot of the heart of what made Star Trek good just to make a fun movie. Also, [WARNING: TREK NERD RANT INCOMING] the first two made sense because it's a new timeline, but the set-up for the latest one happened before that divergence point. So my question is what happened to Krall/Edison in the original timeline? I know I shouldn't think too much about it.

As for Star Wars, I have a similar gripe. The latest two movies should've been condensed into one because they wasted 1/3 of a trilogy replaying the same story, and Episode VIII was a little long. I know Abrams didn't have a plan or anything, but he should've. I also think they botched it by resetting the Empire/Rebels dynamic. The Force Awakens at least made it seem like the Republic and the First Order were an equal match (or at least at a stand-off), but now the First Order is running across the galaxy? There's no focus there, and it showed.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

There are ways to watch movies that don't benefit the creator/director/whoever.

mods???

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Presumably because it cuts into the revenue stream. Essentially the same principle as boycotting a company’s products. How effective it is compared to that I honestly don’t know.

Right, but the point is a lot of emphasis is put on how righteous it is to deprive yourself of a film, with comparatively little of that outrage being funneled towards industries where boycotting them results in more discomfort than not being able to see the latest Kill Robot film.

If you accuse someone of being complicit with child abuse because they "support" Hollywood, it's going to take a lot more loving introspection than a casual glance over your Dvd collection.

"It's easy to boycott films" is true but also really loving lazy, and pretty hypocritical unless you've taken that approach with other things. As it stands I've only ever seen people bitch about it being too hard or how they can't boycott everything, which shows how half-assed it is to begin with.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I contend that it is

Also note that I’m not about to fuckin blacklist acquaintences who like what I consider questionable things. something something middle ground cartman

Man, at least commit to your convictions. This is some weak poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not worth doing anything unless you can do everything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

It's not worth doing anything unless you can do everything.

Doing the minimum and expecting the same praise as those actively taking substantial, Co structure efforts is pathetic.

Hell, we've got Edgar calling everyone complicit in aiding fascists but he's too lazy about it to actually severe connections with the people he judges. That would take actual effort.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd rather be blacklisted by a friend than have them stick around silently judging me or at worst condescendingly scoffing at me when i say i watched a kevin spacey movie. Either stick to your convictions and alienate all your wrongthink friends or dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I contend that it is

lol

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

The Congo Free State was worse than the Holocaust and no one cares because it happened in Africa.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

My idea to get all democrats in battleground states to register as republicans to maneuver around voter suppression is a good idea and I don't care what anyone says :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rainbow Knight posted:

The Congo Free State was worse than the Holocaust and no one cares because it happened in Africa.

That's part of it, but the Holocaust was also directly related to a huge World War, and took place 50 years after Leopold's death so it's that much fresher in the collective memory. Mainly the WWII thing though, people all around the world hated Nazis so it was easier to get people to pay attention to it compared to other more isolated genocides.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I really don’t like the idea of ranking atrocities as better than/worse than. I mean I get what you’re saying about how CFS gets overlooked and that race is a large element of that, but I don’t want to start playing that game.

Similarly I have no taste for the “who was worse Stalin or Hitler” question.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Blue Moonlight posted:

Another nerd PHUO: Star Trek ‘09 and it’s sequels, and Disney shitcanning the Star Wars EU, were exactly what their respective franchises needed.

You're assuming the franchises don't need to just die off. Bringing them back as sterile slop meant to appease the most people with the least effort is definitely worse than that.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I really don’t like the idea of ranking atrocities as better than/worse than. I mean I get what you’re saying about how CFS gets overlooked and that race is a large element of that, but I don’t want to start playing that game.

Similarly I have no taste for the “who was worse Stalin or Hitler” question.

I can see what you mean. If I were to refine it I guess it would be something like, "the Congo Free State was horrible and no one talks about it because it was in Africa."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just wonder how little has gone wrong in someone's life that worrying about what other people watch and judging them for it is any sort of priority.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Rainbow Knight posted:

I can see what you mean. If I were to refine it I guess it would be something like, "the Congo Free State was horrible and no one talks about it because it was in Africa."

Nah, it’s cool. I got what you were saying and I wasn’t aiming at you directly. It just got me thinking in a general sense.

I agree and I wish it got more attention. I think it gets lumped in with “we did some major poo poo to Africa” which means we gloss over the particular horrors of what happened.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

poptart_fairy posted:

"It's easy to boycott films" is true but also really loving lazy, and pretty hypocritical unless you've taken that approach with other things. As it stands I've only ever seen people bitch about it being too hard or how they can't boycott everything, which shows how half-assed it is to begin with.
Because you keep saying "other things" and never naming anything. What do you expect people to do, make a big list of every product or service they use or don't use for ethical reasons? Your assumption that everyone who chooses not to watch movies made by certain people does absolutely nothing else to avoid supporting bad people is based on nothing.

poptart_fairy posted:

Doing the minimum and expecting the same praise as those actively taking substantial, Co structure efforts is pathetic.
Is anyone in this thread doing that though?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Edgar is comparing viewing of a movie to complicit child abuse, while lacking the balls to so much as snip his connections with people who looking at the material.

When you can't muster even a fraction of conviction over something this minor, loving lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just wonder how little has gone wrong in someone's life that worrying about what other people watch and judging them for it is any sort of priority.

Hot take apparently escaping this esteemed thread: one can have an opinion and furiously post about it without seething that other people disagree or smugly judging anyone else. I am not ok watching rapist movies, I will post that, but I don’t think anyone irl is particularly horrible because of what movies they like. Hell, chances are I like a movie by some godawful POS and when it comes out I will go « uhhh but it is a good movie! » then, looking like even more of a shitposting hypocrite

It’s tough but you can disagree with x thing while not smugly judging everyone else.

That actually reminds me of vegans. It’s similar. The preachy vegan is a loving unicorn but it takes about 30 seconds at a restaurant to find someone who ABSOLUTELY HATES THEM, THOSE IDIOTS, THOSE SMUG BUFFOONS! Vegans are fine, they have good points, and 99% of them aren’t sitting around smugly judging you from afar.

If being smugly judged by some stranger is high on your radar it’s probably because you’re a total douche constantly judging strangers. Chill.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Mar 15, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's fine, but saying that watching it makes someone complicit is the part I don't agree with. Wagner wrote some really great music and was horrible terrible person. Thinking Die Walküre is a good piece of music/opera doesn't make everyone that likes it antisemitic.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's fine, but saying that watching it makes someone complicit is the part I don't agree with. Wagner wrote some really great music and was horrible terrible person. Thinking Die Walküre is a good piece of music/opera doesn't make everyone that likes it antisemitic.

That’s also the part where most people are getting the “smugly judging” vibe too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That’s kinda the definition of the word complicit though

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a 21st-century westerner. I’m complicit in lots of bad things too.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Mar 15, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

no it isn't

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Webster’s dictionary defines “complicit” as: helping to commit a crime or do wrong in some way

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Wagner ain't getting residuals.

And neither are the actors and writers and hundreds of other people who worked on Weinstein films without any culpability for what he did. Way to punish lots of innocent people just to take a fraction of a cent out of the pocket of a bad guy, jerks. Maybe Kate Mara would have used her last Netflix check to help underprivileged kids go to summer camp.

What I'm trying to say is, gently caress everything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe social media outrage works better. Then it will convince people in the future to not work with said creep. I bet Woody Allen has a lot more trouble casting his next movie.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

walrusman posted:

Wagner ain't getting residuals.

And neither are the actors and writers and hundreds of other people who worked on Weinstein films without any culpability for what he did. Way to punish lots of innocent people just to take a fraction of a cent out of the pocket of a bad guy, jerks. Maybe Kate Mara would have used her last Netflix check to help underprivileged kids go to summer camp.

What I'm trying to say is, gently caress everything.

I imagine the vast majority of the people working on those projects are being paid a fixed amount for the project and have no stake in the residuals. Like, I doubt the key grip gets hurt or helped by any of it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe social media outrage works better. Then it will convince people in the future to not work with said creep. I bet Woody Allen has a lot more trouble casting his next movie.

I highly doubt it. Social media users' memory is very short so he just has to wait until they move on to some other thing to be outraged at and go back to work as normal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Outrage over Woody Allen and Roman Polanski have been coming and going for decades. Every time the new generation finds out they get upset and then slowly realize nothing will ever change and move on. Hollywood is a disgusting bog filled with rapists and pedophiles and no one is going to change it because no one really wants it to change.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I blame artsy types as a whole.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think this is a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013