Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just use one of these on all my bikes.

I even brought one along when I rented a bike on tenerife last year. So much more relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, a crampbuster. They're like ten bucks. For me at least there's always been enough grip space to not use it if you don't want to.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Capn Jobe posted:

I've been doing more freeway riding recently, partially because I've just been using the bike more, but also because I want to get more comfortable with it. One problem I keep having is my throttle hand just goes dead numb after about 20-30 minutes on the freeway. Well, not totally numb, because it also hurts like hell. If I slow down for ~10 seconds to take it off the throttle and wring it a bit, it gets better, but the cycle then repeats after another 20-30 minutes.

At first I thought I just needed to acclimate better to freeway riding, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any better. It seems like it's a combination of the hand position when holding the throttle mostly-open, and the vibration. I have an inkling that different gloves may help; all I have now are a pair of Alpinestars SPX Air Carbon gloves.

Think different gloves would help? How have others dealt with this? Bike is a Kawasaki Vulcan S; it handles freeway speeds just fine but the engine is turning pretty fast when you get up to 70-75 mph.

Lube your throttle cable(s), too. Maybe even clean your return spring. Having a throttle pull that is anything less than as smooth as possible can cause you to grip it pretty tightly.

Retrain your muscle memory. Figure out just how little pressure it takes to hold the throttle at cruising speed and focus on keeping your hand/wrist tension right around there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Lube your throttle cable(s), too. Maybe even clean your return spring. Having a throttle pull that is anything less than as smooth as possible can cause you to grip it pretty tightly.

Yeah this. You'd be amazed how big a difference just dousing the return spring area with wd40 or similar makes. Also setting the throttle play so you don't have a shitload of slack helps too.

ess-vid
Jun 27, 2013
So I found a decent deal on a Yamaha R3, but figured I should check insurance before pulling the trigger. I probably looked like a cartoon character when the quote returned was $381... a month. Went to the field office the next day and asked why, and was told it was partially due to lack of experience, but mostly because since Yamaha calls it a supersport (complete with YZF nomenclature), they rate it as such, upright seating and all of 37hp be damned. In comparison, the Guzzi V7 Stone was $77, a Yamaha Bolt was like $65, and for shits and grins I punched in R6 and got back $509.
My question is if this is pretty normal for the US, or is Geico being uniquely terrible with rates? Charging more than the price of the bike just to insure it yearly seems a little over the top to me, but being a new rider means I’m also not sure what “normal” actually is.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Geico's bike rates are terrible for me. Progressive was the most reasonable, but there are usually local insurance companies if you live in a city that'll beat them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Progressive has always been good to me for rates and care. That rate is some hilarious "we don't want to insure you" nonsense, for sure.

You should consider a Dual Sport or SuperMoto for those sweet sweet rock bottom rates. I think I pay about $50 for two, per month.

ess-vid
Jun 27, 2013
Sounds fair, I suppose that’s why the sales rep pointed me to a local Progressive agent when I asked about what insurance was like on the thing in general. Will have to give them a ring this week.

Not sure if this is still the proper thread for it, but are there any gotchas with the R3? I know the 2015s had a recall for something, but I’m curious if there’s something like the Duke 390’s radiator fan just dying outright or such. Local powersportsporium is clearancing 2017s for a goodly chunk ($4000 for an ABS trim, $3700 for base), which strike me as good deals for a model with no real changes with the new model year. And yeah yeah should buy used, but at those prices I figure the extra is worth the convenience and stuff like a warranty, vs trawling craiglist for the rare gem hidden beneath parts bin Harleys, Johnny Pag “customs”, and WE FINANCE ANYONE supersports (especially since Houston has the bonus fun of totally-not-Harvey-salvage to watch for).

alr
May 14, 2009
I've had my 2015 R3 for around 2.5 years, and apart from the recalls have had no issues whatsoever. I'm mainly just a weekend rider though, so if there are any issues with higher mileage examples I wouldn't know. The main thing is the tyres, going from the stock ones to a proper set was "oh wow" followed by "how were those legal, yamaha". Also, spend the extra for the ABS

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The stock tyres on those really are bloody terrible and undersell the bike pretty badly.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'm strongly considering getting into motorcycling this spring as I finally live in a region that isn't winter half the year and road construction to fix the crumbling roads the other half.

Over the years I've casually looked into motorcycling so I know most of what can be reasonably picked up from reading online, and intend to go through the local major riding training school prior to ever trying to ride on the road, but I'm unsure about bike styles.

I've owned little sporty cars and love both tearing rear end through winding roads (More or less responsibly, I'm not suicidal) and highway cruising, which sort of says babby sportbike like a Ninja 400 or something. But I also loved having a truck as it allowed me to drive over curbs and poo poo and bomb down fire roads, which sort of says dual sport or supermoto.

As a first bike I'd be primarily interested in the thing serving as a useful skills development tool, as while track days likely won't be an option in the near future I'm more interested in the skill and act of riding than in simply owning a bike for the lifestyle; I'm not really a Harley guy.

I'm a six foot tall fatgoon so I know smaller bikes won't be super fast and that larger bikes such as the EX500 and SV650 are common recommendations, but given the first bike's status as a skills development tool am I correct in thinking that even as a larger dude I'd be better off with a 250-400cc bike whose limits can be more easily explored and learned from? And on that note, would a dual sport be better than a small learner sportbike like the Ninja 400 or RC390? My concern with bikes like the WR250X is highway and higher speed travel, in addition to range with theur tiny tanks.

Broadly speaking, what direction should I be looking? I live in Canada, our used market is tiny and grossly expensive compared to the US so while I'll look used there's a decent chance I'll just get something new, especially with ABS.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
WR250X (hard to find, not sold new anymore AFAIK) or DRZ400SM (all over the place, but people tend to want a lot of money for used examples) will suit your needs just fine. If you're a big fat person you'll probably want to look into putting appropriate springs into the suspension to handle your weight.

You'll be able to ride either of them on the highway but I was never a big fan of long distances on the highway w/ a supermoto. They are super fun around town, great for mild hooligan poo poo, and very forgiving of being dropped.

You can still buy the WR250R new - that's the dual sport version of the X - and put supermoto wheels/tires on it later if you want.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004
There some some vlogger who had a video of him with a pillon on a wr250x. He mentions while with the suspension being squishy with all the extra weight he is still able to keep decent speeds. It has around a 2 gallon tank I believe? So you should get at least 130+ miles. Worst case you can get a 3 gallon tank for around $250 which will bring you up to 200 miles of range. I'm actually looking at buying one this weekend as my first bike so I've done a fair amount of research. You generally see no more than 10 at a time on all of US craigslist, anywhere from $3 - $,5000 depending on miles and mods.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wheeee posted:

I'm strongly considering getting into motorcycling this spring as I finally live in a region that isn't winter half the year and road construction to fix the crumbling roads the other half.

Over the years I've casually looked into motorcycling so I know most of what can be reasonably picked up from reading online, and intend to go through the local major riding training school prior to ever trying to ride on the road, but I'm unsure about bike styles.

I've owned little sporty cars and love both tearing rear end through winding roads (More or less responsibly, I'm not suicidal) and highway cruising, which sort of says babby sportbike like a Ninja 400 or something. But I also loved having a truck as it allowed me to drive over curbs and poo poo and bomb down fire roads, which sort of says dual sport or supermoto.

As a first bike I'd be primarily interested in the thing serving as a useful skills development tool, as while track days likely won't be an option in the near future I'm more interested in the skill and act of riding than in simply owning a bike for the lifestyle; I'm not really a Harley guy.

I'm a six foot tall fatgoon so I know smaller bikes won't be super fast and that larger bikes such as the EX500 and SV650 are common recommendations, but given the first bike's status as a skills development tool am I correct in thinking that even as a larger dude I'd be better off with a 250-400cc bike whose limits can be more easily explored and learned from? And on that note, would a dual sport be better than a small learner sportbike like the Ninja 400 or RC390? My concern with bikes like the WR250X is highway and higher speed travel, in addition to range with theur tiny tanks.

Broadly speaking, what direction should I be looking? I live in Canada, our used market is tiny and grossly expensive compared to the US so while I'll look used there's a decent chance I'll just get something new, especially with ABS.

DR650

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

elegant drapery posted:

There some some vlogger who had a video of him with a pillon on a wr250x. He mentions while with the suspension being squishy with all the extra weight he is still able to keep decent speeds. It has around a 2 gallon tank I believe? So you should get at least 130+ miles. Worst case you can get a 3 gallon tank for around $250 which will bring you up to 200 miles of range. I'm actually looking at buying one this weekend as my first bike so I've done a fair amount of research. You generally see no more than 10 at a time on all of US craigslist, anywhere from $3 - $,5000 depending on miles and mods.

http://safaritanksusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=25

6.6 gallons. Excess is best.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beaten.

You are on the right track looking for a Dual Sport or Sumo, and I enthusiastically encourage either. I've had the WR250x and, while I think it will do great for you, you'd be better served by something more substantial.

The DR650 has long range with it's 3 gallon tank, is really nice on the highway, and can tear up the trails just fine. Even with my stock dual sport wheels, I have no trouble with spirited riding in the twisties.

It's the best bike I've ever owned and if I'd had one for my first bike I would have saved thousands of dollars and tears (and would probably still have it).

Plus, they look awesome as a sumo

Coydog fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 13, 2018

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That is hot as gently caress

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That is hot as gently caress

This is very true.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Definite newbie question - I just picked up a pair of klim jeans for commuting. In short, I'm worried about the fitment of the kneepads. I'm about 5'9", and the jeans I bought fit very well around the waist. They have about 2" extra in length that seems hemmable (the kevlar and mesh lining don't go all the way to the bottom of the leg, I think so they can be hemmed). However, it seems like the kneepads fit lower than I'd expect when standing. The top of the pad hits the bottom of my knee, and it's annoying/uncomfortable. However, when I sit in riding position, the pads seem to be in the right spot.

Is that par for the course? I'm not really sure what to expect, and I don't want to look like a total noob when I start test riding / commuting soon.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't hem anything until you've done some riding. Those pants sound like they fit perfect, in all ways. They are made for riding, not standing, and things usually shift several inches up when crouched on a motorcycle. Pads sound right, too. Basically, if it all comes together when you are on the bike, then you are golden.

I even like my pants to be over long, so that they cover the top of my boots when riding, to keep the rain out.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

On that note, how tightly do the pads need to fit to do their job? I got an A* jacket that I really like because there’s straps around the arms that let you cinch the plates down when you take the thermal liner out. I got the matching pants assuming they’d be the same way, but no such luck.

The knee pads are placed perfectly when I’m on the bike, but they move a bit when the liner is off and I worry that they won’t do much for impact if I get tossed and my legs straighten. Is that something to worry about?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you get thrown off you're going to have bigger problems than slightly misaligned armor. Like a very misaligned skeleton. Don't worry about it. So long as it fits and you make the effort to wear it, you're doing it right. Unless you get stuff custom made (and then never gain or lose weight/muscle ever again) it's never going to fit 100% perfectly.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 14, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also synthetic stuff always fits really loose and terrible compared to leather.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Coydog posted:

Don't hem anything until you've done some riding. Those pants sound like they fit perfect, in all ways. They are made for riding, not standing, and things usually shift several inches up when crouched on a motorcycle. Pads sound right, too. Basically, if it all comes together when you are on the bike, then you are golden.

I even like my pants to be over long, so that they cover the top of my boots when riding, to keep the rain out.

Thank you. Looking forward to doing some riding soon.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can somebody recommend me a decent camera for my bike? I'm looking to record my long rides into the hills and countryside, and possibly upload them to YouTube (vain I know).

I'm on a budget though so the more south of £100 the better.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Buddy got his license recently and didn't listen to my advice of picking up a Ninja 300 with ABS (I figured their prices will drop now that the 400 is out, but didn't check), he's looking for a beginner bike that's around 600cc and has ABS. Are the standard recommend bikes in that range still the SV650 and the Ninja 650r?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Those and the Ninja 500, I guess. Make sure he gets a twin -- a 600cc I4 supersport is a far more dangerous beginner bike than a 650cc V2 even though it's down on displacement.

Or, you know, yell at him until he gets something small.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Also the FZ-07 fits in there nicely.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can somebody recommend me a decent camera for my bike? I'm looking to record my long rides into the hills and countryside, and possibly upload them to YouTube (vain I know).

I'm on a budget though so the more south of £100 the better.

Second hand GoPro? Idk if Sony or anyone has upped their game but you'll probably get a ton more use out of a GoPro both on and off the bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have no idea how good they are, but you can get a gopro knockoff (even the same form factor as far as I can tell) from AliExpress for 30-50 dollars. Might work well enough as long as it's not dark.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Keket posted:

Second hand GoPro? Idk if Sony or anyone has upped their game but you'll probably get a ton more use out of a GoPro both on and off the bike.

Sagebrush posted:

I have no idea how good they are, but you can get a gopro knockoff (even the same form factor as far as I can tell) from AliExpress for 30-50 dollars. Might work well enough as long as it's not dark.

Thanks, I've looked into it and I've seen something pretty decent for £40.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Those and the Ninja 500, I guess. Make sure he gets a twin -- a 600cc I4 supersport is a far more dangerous beginner bike than a 650cc V2 even though it's down on displacement.

Or, you know, yell at him until he gets something small.

I know, but the usual "room to grow" argument. So far his only comparison has been my Daytona and the 125cc MSF bike, he should probably test ride some other bikes to see if they actually feel slow to him.

captainOrbital posted:

Also the FZ-07 fits in there nicely.

I keep on forgetting about those, that's probably one of the better options. I think they only recently got ABS though, which may make finding a used one harder. Not sure if that's correct.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

I know, but the usual "room to grow" argument.

The irony is that you have way more room to grow on a 250 or sumo or something. 600+ is like having a foot wide ledge next to a 1000ft drop to "grow on".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Flying is much the same. What kind of chump starts off on a cessna? No room to grow when you top out at 200mph with a tail wind. Better off learning on an F18; the throttle goes both ways after-all and they still move along plenty fine without switching on the afterburner.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Buddy got his license recently and didn't listen to my advice of picking up a Ninja 300 with ABS (I figured their prices will drop now that the 400 is out, but didn't check), he's looking for a beginner bike that's around 600cc and has ABS. Are the standard recommend bikes in that range still the SV650 and the Ninja 650r?

Or a Versys 650 or Bandit 650 abs (kinda heavy though).

My girlfriend is just now taking her lessons and with how solid motorcycle training is here, plus the fact that she's actually taking lessons on the fz07, have me looking at ~600cc bikes. Well that and the fact that unlike most people here I don't feel anything <60hp is suitable for highway riding. Strangely, bikes that pop up a lot are what I basically think of as 'forgettable naked bikes from before the mt/fz 07/09 came out'. I.e. Hornet 600, gsr600, fz6. These have >100hp, which I feel is kind of a lot, but they're often cheaper than sv's or gladii. Sometimes you even find Bandit 1250s in the same price/year range, lots of mileage but they're indestructible. Anyway I'm hoping I manage to get her on an SV or Gladius as those are the least boring options.

By the way a bike that I also see being offered a lot is the original mt-03, which I think is a really cool bike but as much as people here like to evangelize sumos for first bikes I don't feel a thumper is the best starter bike, even though I started on one myself.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog posted:

The irony is that you have way more room to grow on a 250 or sumo or something. 600+ is like having a foot wide ledge next to a 1000ft drop to "grow on".

Slavvy posted:

Flying is much the same. What kind of chump starts off on a cessna? No room to grow when you top out at 200mph with a tail wind. Better off learning on an F18; the throttle goes both ways after-all and they still move along plenty fine without switching on the afterburner.

I've tried to explain all of this, even explained that when I have more garage space I'm getting a second 300 or 400cc bike so I can wring the engine out around town and not die / get a ticket, but no luck. poo poo, a rode a 33hp Yamaha Majesty around Hawaii and it felt plenty fast, being a scooter I didn't have the balls to take it up to it's 90mph top speed. Even a 75hp fz-07 sounds like too much power for a beginner, but at least he's a fairly cautious guy so if any new rider will be fine, it's probably him. Of course part of the problem is no matter how cautious you are, accidentally spazzing with more power is always going to be an issue.

At least he's not trying to start with an old cafe racer project.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

High Protein posted:

Or a Versys 650 or Bandit 650 abs (kinda heavy though).

Well that and the fact that unlike most people here I don't feel anything <60hp is suitable for highway riding.

My old (07) V-strom 650 had about 60 and was perfectly fine on the highway, I think 250's are probably about the minimum I'd take on there, but to each their own. And I suppose if everyone in your area is doing 80-90+ on the highways then I could see the need for more powah.

Also old hornets are baller, and idk if america got it but you can also look for CBFs which are the commuter versions of the hornet, a little more gentile at 70ish hp, nice smooth throttle and gearbox too which is great.

Slavvy posted:

Love this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oxygen masks? G-suits? those things take more lives than they save

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What if I'm trying to layerdan with one wing missing and the oxygen mask latch gets stuck and I plow into a tree while I'm fumbling with it, what then?

Similarly, running lights are effectively a hazard because of the unloaded weight they add to the wingtips. It's why I prefer planes that come without them, or at least ones you can remove easily.

Wheel brakes? Never use em. You pull on those things hard enough and the landing gear just snaps right off, better off just coasting to a stop with the air brakes. If you can't manage that then your runway obviously isn't long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
If you're commuting to work, how do you handle having your riding gear on, and being presentable as a human being at work? I'm moving to Irvine, California on Monday to start a new job and wanna buy another bike for commuting. I don't have much experience with using a motorcycle as my "get to work" vehicle, so I was hoping for some advice.

Any gear or best practices you might suggest if I want to ride to work in full riding gear but still be able to emerge after the ride in a somewhat presentable fashion. Do you wear your work clothes underneath? Or do you pack that separately and change when you arrive.

Bike-wise, I'll prob pick up a Ninja 250 or 500. just want to get back into riding but I need to make it work with work. THanks.