Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The pop culture references were in Lego Movie but they weren't the entire point of the movie unlike RPO (the book at least)

Imagine reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory except every second sentence is some shoehorned in, complete non-sequitur pop culture reference. That's basically what RPO is.

Also even when it has scenes that SHOULD be dramatic or have weight, they don't because of Cline's awful writing. Devastating scenes where a bunch of folks die including many the protagonist knew and they just get tossed aside, making Wade look like even more of an uncaring rear end in a top hat.

Biggish spoilers

Seriously a huge set of his neighbourhood homes get destroyed, including some of his own family and he just gives no fucks at all. It's hilarious and something I'm sure Spielberg will rewrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sexpig by night posted:

I'd argue RPO's biggest sin is just not understanding WHY we like the things it references. Iron Giant With A Gun is the most glaring example of this. A beautiful movie about peace and accepting others set on a deliberate twist of old 'invasion from outer space' genres that made it so if you say 'Superman' slow enough you can trigger emotionally draining flashbacks in anyone in their late 20's/early 30's. And then they made it a robot with a gun in the big fight.

I'm so mad about this I'm actually a little exasperated with myself.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

RPO is played too straight. If it was a parody of the idea of nostalgia machines and mindless, soulless consumerism it would be cooler.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At the end Ernest Cline wins the internet and the other hologram Ernest Cline tells him not to get obsessed over pop culture and that real life is much better and gives him a button that could wipe out the entire OASIS so there’s no moral to the story because if he doesn’t delete the internet then he and everyone else continues modeling their life on 80’s pop culture in spite of the final message of Ernest Cline and if he does delete the internet then gently caress everyone else you get to live on a lovely planet with no hope for the future while Ernest Cline is a multibillionaire

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wrageowrapper posted:

The movie looks terrible and I hope I never see it but would there be much difference between this and The Lego Movie which everyone loved in regards to pop culture references?

The main (non-Lego) pop culture reference in the Lego Movie was Batman, and the movie actually had something to say about the character beyond "he exists". Ready Player One doesn't even do that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HopperUK posted:

I'm so mad about this I'm actually a little exasperated with myself.

Oh I 100% hate how genuinely angry I am about that stupid robot that's in it for like a cup of coffee.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The main (non-Lego) pop culture reference in the Lego Movie was Batman, and the movie actually had something to say about the character beyond "he exists". Ready Player One doesn't even do that.

Yea the Lego stuff's main real reference is Batman and...there's jokes there. Like, the joke is he's this Archer level cartoon parody, they're doing something fun with him. That's miles different than just going 'hey you guys like Batman? Cool cool same...Ok moving on'.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, I'm starting to see where the problems are with Gggmanlives now. Just watched his Battlefront 2 video and his comment that EA should have replaced Janina Gavankar with Lena Dunham because they "uglified her for the video game" definitely gave me pause.

Also he doesn't like Starship Troopers, which is unacceptable.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 14, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I watched two of his things and got bored. Regardless of his controversy he doesn't really have anything interesting to say or any good jokes or... anything... and there's not much of a point to watching his videos.

For a contrast, Accursed Farms might be kind of a weirdo that sporadically reviews weird old garbage but he at least has very strong and unique views about what he gets out of games and their worlds. Like his Deus Ex video was pretty great, just describing all the ways that game in particular resonated with him.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Accursed Farms is also one of the more charming sort of 90s who is just paranoid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://youtu.be/A1pbofz-2RQ

So Bennett has lost 100 pounds and he looks fantastic.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://youtu.be/A1pbofz-2RQ

So Bennett has lost 100 pounds and he looks fantastic.
Wooooow.
Whelp I guess I have to put down this bag of chips and do some yoga asap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWPMJwHrWFU
Jenny is the best.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 14, 2018

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

The Wuzzles weren't just for girls. :colbert:

e: Just watched Bennett's video and the fade from him walking down the street to him in sat in his chair made me "Holy poo poo!" out loud.

Well done dude! :toot:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 14, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

This is loving great, especially 'Japan's only two shows, Sailor Moon and Hamtaro'.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

So...you know the whole YouTube boxing thing where KSI beat Joe Weller and all that and it was pretty successful and jeez, we were even talking about it here?

Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ravnc5dio

August 25th. Without question the biggest big YouTube event of the year.

There's so much to say about this ridiculous circus show, the fact that boxing of all things is the big deal on YouTube in the year of our lord, 2018, and the absolute gargantuan egos on show here. But tbh I kinda also just hope that KSI knocks that prick the gently caress out too. I got a kick out of the first event and this is going to be like, ludicrously bigger...the poo poo taste I have can't help but be curious about it.

EDIT: Not exactly sure how you top this one, mind you. Like, in terms of subs especially...when this happens, I presume that the fight will be streaming on both of their channels. Logan has 16 million and KSI has 18 million, most of whom will be watching this. It'll be one of the most watched boxing events ever, let alone just amateur/YouTube (mind you, most big boxing events are PPV)

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 14, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m excited.

Can we also get the Idubbbz vs Jinx battle too?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Winner takes on Brock Lesnar in a flaming sumo ring!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if more youtube drama ends in boxing matches it'd be a p. positive change

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Who would win, Goku or Pewdiepie?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Andrast posted:

Who would win, Goku or Pewdiepie?
Jiren or maybe Ashens.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd rather see youtubers stuck in a Nonary Game.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd rather see youtubers stuck in a Nonary Game.

Have you seen a youtuber try to play a game that requires even mild instructions? It would just be annoying after the initial amusement.

Boxing is at least pretty simple.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Have you seen a youtuber try to play a game that requires even mild instructions? It would just be annoying after the initial amusement.

Boxing is at least pretty simple.

I want to see DSP box someone.

WHAAAAAT? I was supposed to protect my face?! Like I was supposed to know that! Ack ack ack ack ack

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

I want to see DSP box someone.

WHAAAAAT? I was supposed to protect my face?! Like I was supposed to know that! Ack ack ack ack ack

"I WAS BLOCKING"

A friend of mine just discovered those "This is how you Don't Play" videos and wanted me to watch through them with him. They never get funny, it's just bad the whole way through. I really want to believe it's an act because there's no way someone is this humanly bad at basic concepts like pattern recognition or like. Looking. We were watching the Resident Evil ones and holy poo poo. He spent like an hour in Code Veronica engineering a completely unwinnable scenario - something he had to go well out of his way to do because there were no savepoints for that stretch of the game and had to reset his game save at least once to do it. And he still blamed the developers for letting him do it. Something so bewilderingly stupid no one, literally no one, had ever done before I am certain of it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The best possible use I found for This Is How You Don't Let's Play was watching the Dark Souls one in segments as I first played the game and got through areas by the skin of my teeth, watching DSP bungle at it to make myself feel better about my own lack of skill.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It took him forever to just learn how to kick in DS. He saw the tutorial message, he just couldn't do it. It was the most pathetic thing I'd ever seen.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

It took him forever to just learn how to kick in DS. He saw the tutorial message, he just couldn't do it. It was the most pathetic thing I'd ever seen.

He didn't know how to use rations in MGS2, and he started pressing every single button but somehow managed to completely skip pressing L2.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

To be fair it's a bit of a tricky input, I still mess it up sometimes or do it accidentally.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

He didn't know how to use rations in MGS2, and he started pressing every single button but somehow managed to completely skip pressing L2.

He did the same thing with casting miracles in Dark Souls. He couldn't figure out what button it was to use his casting tool and tried everything except L1. Even R1.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mokinokaro posted:

The pop culture references were in Lego Movie but they weren't the entire point of the movie unlike RPO (the book at least)

Imagine reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory except every second sentence is some shoehorned in, complete non-sequitur pop culture reference. That's basically what RPO is.

Also even when it has scenes that SHOULD be dramatic or have weight, they don't because of Cline's awful writing. Devastating scenes where a bunch of folks die including many the protagonist knew and they just get tossed aside, making Wade look like even more of an uncaring rear end in a top hat.

Biggish spoilers

Seriously a huge set of his neighbourhood homes get destroyed, including some of his own family and he just gives no fucks at all. It's hilarious and something I'm sure Spielberg will rewrite.

I've read that book twice now unfortunately and I forgot that his aunt, the person that literally fed and clothed him, got killed and he didn't give one single gently caress. God, Wade was a loving awful character.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Vanderdeath posted:

I've read that book twice now unfortunately and I forgot that his aunt, the person that literally fed and clothed him, got killed and he didn't give one single gently caress. God, Wade was a loving awful character.

You can basically feel the editor forcing Ernie to inject those details in the first place just to give it something resembling drama.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vanderdeath posted:

Well that harpy in a housecoat actually took his food rations and took every electronic away to sell it and stuff.

So I dunno. She was a bad cliche character but then again so is Wade Watts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Most nerd self-insert characters tend to be huge sociopaths when it comes to dealing with non-plot relevant characters, because, surprise surprise, their creators tend to be lovely at or have a limited frame of reference for interacting with people on the periphery of their lives.

Like, for example, Eragon from the Inheritance Cycle books is also a huge loving sociopath when it comes to dealing with and actually caring other people around him because as it turns out, Christopher Paolini (Cline's cultural predecessor from the previous decade) had a social circle that consisted of roughly 5 people, most of whom he was related to.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

No one told Ernie not to use alliterative names

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yaws posted:

BUT ALL MY COMIC HEROES

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

Why not.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There is often a theory that goes around that DSP is virtually blind. Because that's sometimes the only way to explain some of the things he does...I dunno about that, but a visit to the opticians might not be a bad thing

In case you didn't know or weren't following them on Patreon, Consolevania have started releasing episodes of their latest series to the public. They've been around as long as AVGN and they are legends so definitely worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPG2GpARQRI

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Wrageowrapper posted:

Is Don Quixote the Ready Player One of the 1600's?

Well, Don Quixote IS a pop-culture loving weirdo who spends the novel obsessing over his idea of a woman that he never actually talks to in real life, only to grow as a person in literally the last chapter after pages and pages of screwing around.

The sidekick of ready player one doesn't spend a night making GBS threads and puking themselves after getting scammed by a baroness, though, so I think the win goes to Don Quixote.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

So I dunno. She was a bad cliche character but then again so is Wade Watts.

More like Wait Whats imo

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Wrageowrapper posted:

Is Don Quixote the Ready Player One of the 1600's?

If you want classic literature to compare to RPO, then the closest thing to it would be Dante's Divine Comedy. First of all, Dante is literally self-inserted. Second, he interacts with all sorts of famous ancient people, like Socrates, while traveling through Hell and Heaven. And third, he has a love interest that is waiting for him in Heaven, his final destination.

EDIT: I will literally weep for humanity if RPO becomes the next Divine Comedy.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

There is often a theory that goes around that DSP is virtually blind. Because that's sometimes the only way to explain some of the things he does...I dunno about that, but a visit to the opticians might not be a bad thing

That wouldn't explain managing to press every button on a controller except the one that does the thing you need, especially when more than once it's the shoulder buttons. The point of controllers is that you shouldn't be looking at them when you're playing in general, and the shoulder buttons in particular you can't see at all in a normal holding position. If he is half blind, it comes with a bunch of profound stupidity on top.

• Locked thread