Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

On one hand, I respect the fact that flight attendants are an important part of the flight crew for any flight, but honestly, when some of them act like the goddamn Sky Gestapo it really pisses me off. It's like any flight crew position: you have to adapt to the situation at hand, considering safety, customer service, and any other operational necessities, while exercising common loving sense.

Its like the seat belt sign nazis. Seriously, if a pax RUNS to the bathroom below 10k, not letting them is probably a worse situation than allowing them to violate the seatbelt sign. Also, they don't need a PA directing every pax to look at them in their time of suffering.

Hell, even in cruise, leave the poor people alone.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I missed the boat on the commuting conversation, but living in base is the bee's knees. No way I'd ever commute unless it was in a 777 flying to Australia twice a month or something.

And even then I'd be hesitant, like, is it really worth the money?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/03/14/alaska-airlines-female-co-pilot-claims-male-pilot-drugged-and-raped-her.html

United: "Here's a brand new PR disaster!"

Alaska: "Hold my spiked beer and watch this!"

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

Without defending United, it was a French Bulldog, which are so inbred that they have serious trouble regulating their own temperature or even breathing when they get stressed. Even with sufficient airflow, it's distinctly possible that the stress of being in a loud, noisy, dark place panicked the dog to the point where it essentially suffocated itself.

It really doesn't help United that it was one of their flight attendants who demanded the dog go in the overhead, since the airline already has a reputation for beating up passengers that don't comply with crewmember instructions, so the flying public sees this as "kill the dog or we beat you up".

There's plenty of stupid to go around with this incident. The FA claims that they didn't know there was a dog in the bag - bullshit. The passenger should also get a beating for trying to travel (probably on a Basic Economy fare that guarantees being in the last boarding group and saves about :10bux: per seat) with a child, an infant (with all the related infant equipment) and a French Bulldog puppy that - as related in AZ's quote - can barely sustain life under perfect conditions. WTF?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On the one hand, a brachycephalic dog is something that exists only as a human statement of spite against God and nature.

On the other hand, it has never in the entire history of air travel or indeed mass transit in general been appropriate to cram a live animal into the overhead storage bins, and it should be blatantly obvious that when the animal you've cooped up in the box is making insistent noises it is not comfortable, and you should at the very least check on it every few minutes to ensure it's doing okay :psyduck:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I hope the dog that united accidentally shipped to Japan doesn't have that problem.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ausgezeichnet posted:

There's plenty of stupid to go around with this incident. The FA claims that they didn't know there was a dog in the bag - bullshit. The passenger should also get a beating for trying to travel (probably on a Basic Economy fare that guarantees being in the last boarding group and saves about :10bux: per seat) with a child, an infant (with all the related infant equipment) and a French Bulldog puppy that - as related in AZ's quote - can barely sustain life under perfect conditions. WTF?

They charged her $120 for the in cabin dog so I'm not so sure what the basic economy fare has to do with it. Infant in arms is also an extra charge isn't it?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah if you charge me $120 for my dog please don't kill it?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KodiakRS posted:

I hope the dog that united accidentally shipped to Japan doesn't have that problem.

Impressive. Two dog fuckups in one week, UA.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

I’ll have to check that out. I’ve gotten both the “do you like working here” and the “I know you don’t know how much money that is but” speeches. No I don’t want to drive the floor cleaner. I don’t know how to use it, let alone around expensive equipment. Also I’m not a god damned janitor. Do janitors take on this much debt to be able clean the floor?

This is my last rant for awhile, I promise.

Our management just decided to cancel the uniform service we use. Their reasoning: of ten mechanics, only three use the service, and why are they paying for something most people don't use?

I guess they get to figure out if losing 12 man-hours per month to have mechanics do their own laundry is worth it, because like hell I'm washing work clothes in my washing machine. I'm covered in jet fuel and hydraulic fluid literally daily, and if it's a bad day, then add in any fluid that could be in an aircraft plus most of the fluids that could be in a human. Plus metal shavings.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

They charged her $120 for the in cabin dog so I'm not so sure what the basic economy fare has to do with it. Infant in arms is also an extra charge isn't it?

I'm pretty sure lap kiddies don't cost anything, but I could be wrong. Still, the gobs of bullshit incumbent upon traveling with an infant means that the space in front of the older kid would probably be taken up with diaper bags and other paraphernalia.

United very, very recently got rid of it's Basic Economy fare, which saves pax a few bucks, but puts them in the last boarding group (which means overhead and underseat space is guaranteed to be nearly gone on a full flight), restricts them to using underseat space - only, and basically - gently caress you. Some of the underseat spaces on UAL 737's are VERY restricted due to cabin entertainment boxes (mostly old Continental birds) and a FAA-legal dog bag might not fit without hanging out unacceptably into the aisle or over a passenger's feet. The $120 bucks for the dog means you get to bring one on, not that you are guaranteed any consideration for doing so.

Like I said, the stupid is everywhere in this incident. If I had a dog in the loving overhead and it was crying during the flight, I'd take the poor thing down and tell the FAA to gently caress off pending the legal shitstorm at the destination.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ausgezeichnet posted:

I'm pretty sure lap kiddies don't cost anything, but I could be wrong. Still, the gobs of bullshit incumbent upon traveling with an infant means that the space in front of the older kid would probably be taken up with diaper bags and other paraphernalia.

United very, very recently got rid of it's Basic Economy fare, which saves pax a few bucks, but puts them in the last boarding group (which means overhead and underseat space is guaranteed to be nearly gone on a full flight), restricts them to using underseat space - only, and basically - gently caress you. Some of the underseat spaces on UAL 737's are VERY restricted due to cabin entertainment boxes (mostly old Continental birds) and a FAA-legal dog bag might not fit without hanging out unacceptably into the aisle or over a passenger's feet. The $120 bucks for the dog means you get to bring one on, not that you are guaranteed any consideration for doing so.

Like I said, the stupid is everywhere in this incident. If I had a dog in the loving overhead and it was crying during the flight, I'd take the poor thing down and tell the FAA to gently caress off pending the legal shitstorm at the destination.

Mothers with infants board immediately after global services don't they? So there'd be space.

Also you're allowed a diaper bag, breast pump and child seat in addition to your normal allowance: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/infant.aspx

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 15, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't care what the issue is, there simply has to be a better solution to "where does dog go?" than "in the overhead bin", and I trust a competent team of adults trained to maintain the safety of an aircraft to be able to figure it out without killing a living creature in the process.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

United: "Well, at least we didn't kill this one?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Our management just decided to cancel the uniform service we use. Their reasoning: of ten mechanics, only three use the service, and why are they paying for something most people don't use?

I guess they get to figure out if losing 12 man-hours per month to have mechanics do their own laundry is worth it, because like hell I'm washing work clothes in my washing machine. I'm covered in jet fuel and hydraulic fluid literally daily, and if it's a bad day, then add in any fluid that could be in an aircraft plus most of the fluids that could be in a human. Plus metal shavings.

I’m glad I rented when I was a mechanic, but I still ruined so many clothes in the machine that wasn’t mine. Oh those pants had battery acid on them? Now everything looks like I got shot with buckshot? Great.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Mothers with infants board immediately after global services don't they? So there'd be space.

Assuming they showed up early enough.

quote:

Also you're allowed a diaper bag, breast pump and child seat in addition to your normal allowance: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/infant.aspx

The child seat is only allowed on board if they purchased a ticket for the infant. Unlikely.

The mom in question is refusing to comment to the press - unlike the hamster-flusher - which is probably wise, but I'd love to get more detail as to what happened here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Okay, so, more headset questions --

I went to the local pilot store and tried on a couple of different headsets. I found that of the four brands I tried, the David Clark 13.4 was the most comfortable and had the best passive noise reduction. The Lightspeed Sierra was pretty good but didn't feel quite as nice. However, its active noise cancellation was great. They didn't have a Zulu to try on. The other two (cheaper brands) were noticeably less comfortable and pinched my glasses temples so no thanks.

The DC One-X seems like it would likely be the best of both worlds, with a DC fit and noise reduction, but it's also nine hundred gosh dang dollarydoos. I'm looking to see if there's a used one on eBay but no luck so far. However, I have found the DC H10-13X, which looks like basically a noise-canceling version of the 13.4, for about the same price as the Sierra. Does anyone have experience with that model?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Check out the Pro-X, it’s 670.00

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Pro-X earcups look like they sit on top of your ears instead of around them and I don't like headphones with that design.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Me either but I’ve put over 1500 hours on my pro-x in everything from cessnas to jets and can’t imagine anything else at this point, especially on a hot day.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Since you guys are talking about headsets, I am selling my zulu 2s over in sa-mart for dirt cheap. I'm just working on clearing some stuff out of the house and no longer use them. Buy them if you are a student pilot or flying turboprops!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852033

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

The Pro-X earcups look like they sit on top of your ears instead of around them and I don't like headphones with that design.

I don't usually like on-ear headsets either, but I have about a thousand hours using DC Pro-X's and love them. I used to use Bose Aviation headsets (the old, gigantic ones) and they would clamp the poo poo out of my head to get good passive noise reduction. It made wearing sunglasses with them on absolutely miserable after more than 15 minutes. The DC Pro-X's don't use much clamping pressure to get a good seal.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The pro-x ear pads are so pluuuuusshhhhh :3:

Plus David Clark’s legendary lifetime warranty. I just sent mine in for a refresh a few months ago and they replaced literally everything but the frame, including updating the ANR board.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Buy those Zulu 2’s for $250. That’s a steal! Really you just need anything that will get you through your Private.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dang, yeah, that would have been a great deal. I already found a decent deal on a like-new pair of the 13X ($475) on eBay though so I got those ones.

The instructors at the school, and all the pilots I know IRL, say to buy in this order
1) comfort
2) noise
3) price
And of the headsets I have been able to try on, the DC circumaural design is the most comfortable -- notably moreso than the Lightspeed design -- and was the quietest with the active noise reduction off, which I appreciate as sort of a peace-of-mind feature. If I had a place to try on the Pro-X for several hours I'd have given them a shot, but my ears kinda stick out and I wear glasses (neeeeeeeerd) and as a result I have never had good results with anything that pushes my ears back in towards my head. Spending $700 on something that I know doesn't usually work for me, without the opportunity to even try it out first...nah.

Anyway the headset should be here later this week, so looking forward to that :toot: and I imagine they will be just perfect for what I'm doing. If they do turn out to be uncomfortable in the long term well there's a brisk trade in them on eBay so nbd

Thanks!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 18, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Buy from a reputable dealer with a good return policy, but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I wear mine with sunglasses all the time and the bayonets don’t break the seal at all nor are my ears pushed into them.

I’ve worn everything from cheap Chinese headsets to clairity aloft to Bose, and the pro-x is by far the most comfortable. Everyone I’ve met that has it says the same thing.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
I gotta play with some Pro-X’s. I flip between Clarity Alofts and A20s but I’m a sucker for picking up headsets.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
It may be worth mentioning that David Clark makes two different ANR headsets, the pro-x which sits on top of your ears and the one-x which surrounds your ears like a regular headset.

On a different note: http://www.newsweek.com/airline-denies-its-flight-attendants-held-orgy-despite-video-naked-romp-850795

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I really want to try the one-x.

I also want to see this video.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

It may be worth mentioning that David Clark makes two different ANR headsets, the pro-x which sits on top of your ears and the one-x which surrounds your ears like a regular headset.

Three! They also make the H10-13X, which has the same physical design as the 13.4 but with ANR. No Bluetooth. I have one of those in the mail as I find the 13.4 very comfortable and I think it will serve me well.

Went flying again today after a bunch of bad weather last week and it was magnificent. Beautiful blue sky and despite some bumpiness over the mountains it was perfectly calm over the coast. I'm in love

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ended my night early and I’m incredibly relieved I’m on my couch instead of at FL450 right now. Today was one last second change, delay, tough question and weather deviation after another and it wore me down faster than just a long day. I didn’t realize until I got in my car that I was useless.

Just a reminder about fatigue, kids! If you’re not sure whether you’re ok or not, you have your answer!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rolo posted:

Ended my night early and I’m incredibly relieved I’m on my couch instead of at FL450 right now. Today was one last second change, delay, tough question and weather deviation after another and it wore me down faster than just a long day. I didn’t realize until I got in my car that I was useless.

Just a reminder about fatigue, kids! If you’re not sure whether you’re ok or not, you have your answer!

IMSAFE, baby!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Unless you fly for a sketch 135 outfit, they’re not paying you to be fatigued

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
How many PPL goons do we have now. Would anybody be interested in a fly-in BBQ out west? KPRB / KTUS / KABQ? KSMO before it goes away forever?

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 21, 2018

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I had my first very low IFR take off today (flying commercial as a passenger) since becoming getting my PPL.

That got me thinking, are there minimums for taking off in IFR? I know that when you’re landing IFR, you have to be able to see the runway at a minimum altitude for the approach. But can commercial flights just take off in...whatever?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Commercial operators do and one of those guys will have to tell you what they are. Private pilots don’t though. We can take off in 0/0. RIP if you’re dumb enough though to do that and then have an emergency.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 22, 2018

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

dexter6 posted:

I had my first very low IFR take off today (flying commercial as a passenger) since becoming getting my PPL.

That got me thinking, are there minimums for taking off in IFR? I know that when you’re landing IFR, you have to be able to see the runway at a minimum altitude for the approach. But can commercial flights just take off in...whatever?

Where I work we're good down to 600 feet as long as the runway has centerline lights and HIRLs.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Rolo posted:

Good call, I called in not fit to fly for the first time since I went commercial this week. Best call I ever made got woke up at 3am off standby to do 2 sectors. I had got less than 3 hours broken sleep and had done 6 days on earlies the previous stint. I realised I wasn't fit to be in a cockpit when I stood waiting for the shower to warm up and couldn't remember which app told me the train times to get into work. Turned off the shower rang ops and went back to bed. It's not worth it, felt guilty cause someone else is gonna have to cover but that's what it's there for.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Where I work we're good down to 600 feet as long as the runway has centerline lights and HIRLs.

Ah, 6/6/6, the devil's takeoff! 600 feet required visibility, for touchdown, mid and rollout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Under part 121, it depends on the airport (runway lighting, obstacles, etc..) and what equipment is installed on the aircraft.

As an example, at SEA, the takeoff requirements for the 16's are 500/500/500 RVR, but for aircraft equipped with a HUD, that drops to 300/300/300.

Part 91 pilots can legally take off in absolutely zero visibility (which is a colossally stupid idea), and can actually attempt an approach even if the weather is reported to be nowhere close to the approach minimums, neither of which are allowed for airlines in the US.