Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Wow, some 3mm with an etched pattern for £100 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The tiles are an inch deep if I'm reading it right, it's just that none of those included make any use of it. I guess the roads might be recessed slightly?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It says made from 3mm MDF but then lists the thickness as 1.18" :shrug:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I got some of the new TT Combat buildings here, they're pretty swell.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

TTerrible posted:

It says made from 3mm MDF but then lists the thickness as 1.18" :shrug:

Probably meant .118 (3mm)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
They are bringing out those tiles with underpasses etc, I thought that meant the tiles would have hollow depth to allow for that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
An inch thick mdf would be killer pnp!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Here's an interesting thing from Facebook:

quote:

Louis Simpson Hey guys, our shipping emails have been temperamental for about a month, we don't know the cause of the problem or how to fix it but your order is likely on the way. I think the only ones waiting are some containing shackletons as the failure rate on them was oddly high, those orders are few in number though and should have left our building by Wednesday :D

We thought we would sell 300 remnants and were making 24 a day (assuming no failures). Turns out we needed 1000. We made as many new moulds as possible (a mould can only be run so many times a day as it heats up) to up our production levels but as we are still also making moulds to sort KS problems (ZERO RESIN MOULDS were given to us as part of the hand over) we have been limited in that.

We have been producing the new destroyers for a month now to ensure that when those are released we don't have these issues. Learning for the future and adapting as necessary! Thank you all for your continued patience and I am sure your ships will be with you very soon!

quote:

Mid April. 13 different variants spread over the 4 races

quote:

pre-orders end of March

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

"Demand is three times higher than anticipated" is not the worst problem to have having just acquired a new property.

Seems like they are capable of ramping up to respond at least.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Calling it the "handover process" sounds very polite after the issues they've hinted at.

Glad to see stuff ramping up though, I've managed to get some people interested in dropfleet again now TT are providing regular updates.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I suspect it was closer to opening random doors into unknown rooms then trying to figure out what was inside. After finding the light switch. Or a torch.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
At least everything is digital nowadays and you can make new masters and molds if the old ones are lost in some forgotten basement.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Also the production was subcontracted to a third party so it is unlikely that any molds would be held at the he hawk offices

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I wonder if its some weird scenario where the manufacturer produced the moulds on Hawks behalf and retained ownership of them, but the IP is Hawk's so TTCombat would have had to buy them off the sub contractor or just make new ones instead (as they have) before taking production in house.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm betting on something like that from all i know.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Ugleb posted:

I wonder if its some weird scenario where the manufacturer produced the moulds on Hawks behalf and retained ownership of them, but the IP is Hawk's so TTCombat would have had to buy them off the sub contractor or just make new ones instead (as they have) before taking production in house.

Doesn't sound that weird... Maybe Hawk had the molds made, consigned them to someone for casting, then that person whored the tools out to whoever had the lowest price / available shop time when the order came. The tooling situation can get really hosed up really fast if you don't keep tight control.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So for anyone not watching the social medias, TTCombat did a little facebook live stream last week to update the community on what s happening with 'Drop Commander Universe'.

Recently there was a big meeting at TTHQ to discuss all thing Drop Commander now that the hand over is done and stuff is back on sale. There was some big banner points coming out of it.

Dropzone 2nd edition launch has been pushed back to 2019. By the sounds of it the new units Hawk had planned were basically just more variant type stuff and they have decided that the new edition should be a more ambitious launch and to move the narrative into the next chapter.

While the new edition won't be launching any time soon, they are going to take it into open beta very soon - sometime around Adepticon. TTCombat have had a very positive experience with the Carnevale open beta and think it will help make a better 2nd ed.

One of the things coming out of the meeting was that the original plan for DzC was to put out a Reconquest Phase 3 book. They have decided that they should wrap up first edition properly before moving on so there is going to be a new expansion book that covers both DzC/DfC, finishes off the current plot arc and provides new units for both games. We get that sometime this year, there will be experimental rules published for some/all of it between now and then.

The Dropfleet content will include Destroyers, Monitors and, I think, Dreadnoughts. Destroyers are going to be previewed at Adepticon and released at Salute. Not sure about the others but I assume they are now staggering releases rather than dumping big waves as Hawk used to.

The other big thing to come out of the Big Meeting is that TTHQ now has a 3 year plan in place for games. They appear to be waaaay better at planning long term than Hawk ever were and are doing a couple of other encouraging things. For one they are addressing the owed store credit sensibly. There are about 4,000 backers owed various amounts of store credit, we aren't getting it until TTCombat have got stock levels up far enough to cope with thousands of people suddenly ordering UCM Battleships all in one go. Because of that possibility, they are planning to release credit in waves to ease demand and not piss everyone off all over again.

The Centurion cruisers sold over 3 times expected volumes. So TTCombat have expanded their resin production and rejigged their production process to meet demand for Centurions. They expected to sell about 300 Centurions and sold over 1,000, which is pretty great. It sounds like TT are willing and able to scale up quickly and on the fly. They also mentioned on the stream that they are substantially expanding their warehousing, I forgot the number but it was close to tripling their space. Apparently they have owned the building next to theirs for ages and were renting it out until they needed to expand, plus they are building extensions. Clearly they have resources to tap and haven't yet over extended with their acquisitions.

Final tid bit they were dancing around is the thing that makes DzC 2.0 into a 'proper' 2nd edition - they were strongly hinting at a new faction, talking about concept art for 'them' and all that stuff. It all came across to me as they want to wrap up the Reconquest chapter of the story before dropping the plot bombshell and bringing in a new faction, presumably for both games. I think once DzC 2.0 is out they will be doing DfC 1.5/2.0 not long after.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
An extra thing to note is that they were discussing the possibility of a Phase 3 book covering both Dropzone AND Dropfleet. That would mean the book's Dropzone half isn't valid for much longer than a year, so you'd be buying it for the plot and to keep yourself interested until 2nd Edition launches.

I will be honest and say I've not been keen on Dropzone's metaplot. I'd vastly have preferred it if they'd left the front lines vague and just given us a galactic map with big arrows instead of naming each and every Cradle World. Naming individual planets would have been fine but not every single one of them, meaning players can't make up their own warzones. We've also not had any info on the PHR that isn't more handwaving OMINOUSNESS, and it got a little tiresome seeing the UCM get shafted all the time.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

While they didn't explicitly say monitors (mentioned destroyers, dreadnoughts, and stopped themselves from saying a third thing) I'm not sure what else it could be since they've been hinted at before.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Oh right, this thread is still around! :v: Thanks for giving the summary, Ugleb.

Also the destroyers are said to have 13 variants across all factions.

Edit: 13 variabts has alreay been mentioned, im good at posting

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 14, 2018

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I think Monitors are about the same size as Destroyers and get lumped together a fair bit.

Edit - Maybe some of the 13 destroyer designs are actually the monitors? That's 4-5 destroyers per faction if not!

The other thing they were trying not to talk about seemed to be for Dropzone 2nd edition and is something major from the way they were talking. Hence why I think it s a new faction. A long time ago (before phase 2) Dave was talking about doing reconquest phase 3 and then introducing another race, he has ideas for a couple from what he said back then.

I'm thinking the next faction will be the aliens behind the existence of the White Sphere. The PHR back story is unexplained enough that the only thing we seem to know about the Sphere is that it is neither Shaltari or Scourge in origin, and that the PHR are building big rear end battle stations around that one Cradle world they are in control of, for reasons unknown. I'm guessing some sort of AI/Drone faction and the Sphere is some sort of exile.

Option 2 might be another race the Shaltari have been manipulating in their galactic chess game as they did with Humanity in an attempt to have their rivals wipe each other out.

Option 3, for Dropfleet if maybe not Dropzone, is that TTCombat/Dave have reconsidered the 'resistance' fleet faction. The Centurion fluff references two sources of Remnant vessels in numbers that could matter. The descendants of the pre-Scourge invasion, separatist battle that formed the PHR have apparently been living in the wreckage and still have an operational force salvaged. The other is a colony with a substantial shipyard that never joined the UCM and have been building the old ship designs ever since. Even if this doesn't turn out to be a new faction, I can see the exclusive show sculpts each year being more remnant designs.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 14, 2018

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Option 4: it's pungari

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sojenus posted:

Option 4: it's pungari

Pungari liberation Army!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I would play the heck out of a Pungari Liberation Army list.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Loxbourne posted:

I would play the heck out of a Pungari Liberation Army list.

"Dropzone needs a Space Ork equivalent faction" - Discuss.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So when they say Monitor, they mean the UK concept of a Monitor and not the US one right?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

So when they say Monitor, they mean the UK concept of a Monitor and not the US one right?

Slow moving, tough and a big gun is my understanding. So...British?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Apparently next week will be the new Talon scheme maybe? Here's hoping.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ugleb posted:

Slow moving, tough and a big gun is my understanding. So...British?

Not really all that tough. Also quite small, designed exclusively for shore bombardment using a single battleship turret, as opposed to the US concept of a monitor, being the Monitor and Virginia, ie designed for ship to ship combat using Frigate sized guns.

In game terms it'd be a destroyer with a battleship bombardment gun vs a light cruiser with destroyer guns.

e: Not that the Us didn't use those 20th century monitors, because they did, and they called their LCMs converted to river gunboats for patrolling the Mekong monitors too, I'm just talking about popular public perception

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 14, 2018

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Just spotted a post on Facebook saying that UCM Battleships are back in stock. And another within an hour saying they are sold out again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Just spotted a post on Facebook saying that UCM Battleships are back in stock. And another within an hour saying they are sold out again.

Those things are too cool looking for their own good.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Are Battlefleet boxes gonna be available at Adepticon? I’ve wanted one since last Adepticon...

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Haven't watched the facebook stream, but is Dave still involved at all?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

He's still lead designer/modeler.

Devlan Mud posted:

Are Battlefleet boxes gonna be available at Adepticon? I’ve wanted one since last Adepticon...

You could ask on the Facebook Dropfleet group since that seems to be their primary communication platform now, which is dumb but oh well. I would be surprised if they didn't anyway!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Devlan Mud posted:

There was something in the stream about sorting US distribution out at Adepicon. I think that means they are shipping a bunch of stuff over.

Dave is definitely still heavily involved, just not in public view.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So TTCombat did another Q&A today. Couple of questions that I asked got answers! Huzzah!

I wasn't sure if the 15 Destoyers we have been told are coming out included Monitors or not, the answer is no! So that is 15 Destroyers coming for 4 factions, then an unknown number of Monitors coming later on. They again repeated that painted Destroyers will be on display at Adepticon, released at Salute.

TTCon is being held in Milton Keynes in October and is planned to feature all of TTCombat's games in some form. TTCombat want community input on what exactly we want to see at TTCon, so we can probably expect Dropzone & Dropfleet tournaments plus space for open gaming of anything and everything else.

It sounds like there is a 'secret project' in the form of a new game. Who knows.

Dave has reportedly sculpted more models in the past 3 months than in the previous 18 months combined. He is working remotely, sounds like he is probably still living in London area so isn't on hand to do media stuff in TTHQ which is in Cornwall and nowhere near anything.

This weeks stream was run by two guys I think TTCombat recently hired to form their media/community team. One of the bosses from last weeks stream was clearly behind the camera chipping in and directing the whole thing. They are clearly a rapidly expanding company stepping up to a new level and throwing systems together. To their credit they are being pretty open about it all and it feels like they have a plan.

Facebook is again confirmed as their focus for communication, the Hawk forums are not a priority for them.

There will be no errata for Dropzone between now and 2nd edition.

If I understood correctly, there is no immediate plan for Dropfleet errata (at least before the new book). The new book is aimed at a 'Summer' release, by the sounds of it late Summer so I'd guess September.

North American distribution issues came up. They declared that there are no issues if your store contacts Kingsley Distribution and places an order. They can ship form darkest Cornwall to the USA with a 2 day turn around. Apparently they sent the Destroyers to their US based painter at 4pm Wednesday and they arrived on the Friday.

Think that was it...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

New Talon promo scheme isn't until July, which is almost as disappointing as the video quality.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Their broadcasting from Cornwall, and using half of their internet as it is!

Moving Invasion to Milton Keynes is great for Ugleb and I, as it turns a 2-3 hour journey into an hour and a half. Tops.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah the video quality was pretty bad. I had to ask the destroyer question again because the video broke up so much I had the answer but wasn't sure if it was attached to my question.

The previous stream was fine so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Decided I hated my Scourge and started repainting them for the third time. Began with the starter set stuff and the battlecruiser, giant pile of everything else to go next.