Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Yeah, I've been wondering about the wrecking ball.

Also, what if Lord Boy just has the guardian or whatever it's called punch her some more? It seems like that worked pretty well for him last time.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

super sweet best pal posted:

You'd think Feral would be similarly broken having been harvested for organs with no sedation.

For being knockoff Wolverine, Feral lacks none of the emotional trauma that gives him depth beyond being healman with augmented bones and claws.

SFP has very consistently tried to deconstruct comic book tropes like that without actually understanding why they're such long running tropes in the first place :shrug:

Including the main character (Supreme Human) and Mary (The Chastiser)

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Emrikol posted:

Yeah, I've been wondering about the wrecking ball.

Also, what if Lord Boy just has the guardian or whatever it's called punch her some more? It seems like that worked pretty well for him last time.

Too late, she's seared away her doubt. As the incarnation of Might makes Right, ironically she is physically strengthened by self-righteousness.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Brought To You By posted:

In the hands of a better writer, this would be the setup for the rise of a new supervillain. A former hero who never endured any real hardships because they won the genetic lottery as a kid and grew up the most privileged person out there. Instead we got a Strong Female Protagonist.
A supervillain who is about to literally mind-murder the only person who ever stopped her, too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Allison's right that emotions are necessary to make decisions, she's wrong that this proves that she needs to smash the metaphorical walls. Patrick makes decisions, thus, he has a connection to his emotions. It's not the healthiest connection, but he's not the healthiest person.

The whole idea that therapy wouldn't help Patrick because he's a telepath is so loving stupid, like, it only works if you see every interaction with other people as an attempt to 'win'. He might have raw access to a lot more information than literally anyone else does, but that doesn't make him good at processing that information, as we've LITERALLY loving SEEN. A therapist is still helpful as an external source who actually understands the psychology behind things and can externally help him process things.

The whole 'people who think Allison is bad because she can't be vulnerable are bad, and in fact vulnerable people are super messed up' theme in the comic makes me sick and seems to be a way of handwaving privilege while putting people who have societal privilege in positions of power over everyone else. Basically... it reads like 'white guilt but actually DON'T FEEL GUILTY FIX PROBLEMS BY BOSSING AROUND PEOPLE OF COLOR' the comic. But it's not actually about just being white, but that specific combo of white upper-middle class maleness.

Like, Allison has been vulnerable! She was vulnerable before she got superpowers and she was vulnerable even after that as she was set up to be a child soldier who killed people! Being immune to bullets doesn't make you unable to be vulnerable, and at first I thought that's what the comic was going to be about, but nope! But the reason why I'm saying the writing is specifically from the POV of a comfortable white guy is because I think even a comfortable white woman would realize that Allison has been vulnerable as a preteen girl. I'm having a hard time articulating my experiences in the right way but... it's not a fearless position.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PetraCore posted:

The whole idea that therapy wouldn't help Patrick because he's a telepath is so loving stupid, like, it only works if you see every interaction with other people as an attempt to 'win'.

I mean that's a pretty common and in context reasonable outlook to result from backgrounds that rough, and once someone's adopted that mindset it's extremely hard for them to break out of it, it would be understandable if this was Patrick's actual problem instead of... whatever this is. but yeah this is written by a softboy imbecile for other softboy imbeciles whose closest experience with trauma was seeing a homeless guy on their way to the yogurt stand

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
These are a whole lot of words that tell me that we need more Clevin. He is the best character, utterly useless, totally non helpful, but also demanding praise for is white boy uselessness.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I want to rescue Patrick from this bad narrative. Feral too. You know, for someone whose unhealthy coping mechanisms lead her to first become a self-destructive murderer and then to become a self-destructive martyr in a sort of overcompensation to assuage guilt, her mind sure is flowers and butterflies and catgirls! Like sure she seems to be one of the most emotionally stable characters now, but I don't really think that character development was... earned so much as her character was flattened out?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

PetraCore posted:

I want to rescue Patrick from this bad narrative. Feral too. You know, for someone whose unhealthy coping mechanisms lead her to first become a self-destructive murderer and then to become a self-destructive martyr in a sort of overcompensation to assuage guilt, her mind sure is flowers and butterflies and catgirls! Like sure she seems to be one of the most emotionally stable characters now, but I don't really think that character development was... earned so much as her character was flattened out?

Yeah, I thought the whole organ harvesting thing was in exchange for doing time for some murders? Whatever happened to that?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Me, a naive moron: Allison is an abrasive rear end in a top hat whose every attempt to solve societal issues involves violence because she was groomed into becoming a child soldier for the united states government and her positive social interactions have revolved around that behavior.
Me, a hardened intellectual: Allison is an abrasive rear end in a top hat who is nevertheless almost always right and never wrong in ways that actually have consequences because the writing is extremely bad and the writer doesn't have the skill or experience to write nuanced trauma reactions.

Like the thing that gets me even now is the basic concept of the comic relies on 'well, we solved all the supervillains! and that's when Allison quit' but like... that isn't the least bit realistic? And given some of the 'solving' we've seen is pretty inhumane... ehn. IDK why I ever thought this was good and I'm frustrated that I can't seem to just let go. I've only backread through the inane mind sequence though, I'm missing everything between that and the hamhanded morphogenic support group stuff. Apparently Allison is dating Clevin now? Why??

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, I thought the whole organ harvesting thing was in exchange for doing time for some murders? Whatever happened to that?

High Lord Allison decided she served her term.

Just imagine Allison breaking her out of prison and telling the law that she was free to go. Basically the same thing.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Unlucky7 posted:

It wasn't even that because the implication is that she super quickly 'paid back' that debt to society and just kept going out of guilt because she didn't trust herself to be a good person but she knew she could be a resource to HELP good people. So even aside from Allison having to strongarm a dude into helping her, there's a ton of unresolved issues that FERAL have that seem to have never been picked up again, unless Feral had an emotional breakdown and has been engaging in self-destructive behavior around the time Allison hooked up with Clevin.

It's like, I literally don't think the author understands characters are interesting because of the ways in which they're imperfect and that sad, mad, and or bad characters becoming healthier and more positive is only cathartic when their recovery arcs mimic recovery that real people can actually have. As far as hosed up superhero stuff goes honestly I might just have to stick with Worm and Ward, and that's not even a comic. At least everyone feels like people in that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Unlucky7 posted:

They're still harvesting her organs; she just grows them so fast now that she's literally producing more livers than they can implant into people, so she has weekdays free.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Apparently Allison is dating Clevin now? Why??

New thread title.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

They're still harvesting her organs; she just grows them so fast now that she's literally producing more livers than they can implant into people, so she has weekdays free.
Yeah that makes about as much sense as solving supervillains forever. It's not like societal issues could keep producing criminal behavior, you just have to solve it! There aren't literally over 7 billion people in the world many of whom get sick, one person can produce ALL the livers! Organ transplant rejections? What's that!

In a world where you can SOLVE SUPERCRIME idk why Allison is such a wet blanket about ooooh I'll never change society ooooh. Like, realistically she couldn't solve crime forever, but hey! They solved supercrime!!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

Yeah that makes about as much sense as solving supervillains forever. It's not like societal issues could keep producing criminal behavior, you just have to solve it! There aren't literally over 7 billion people in the world many of whom get sick, one person can produce ALL the livers! Organ transplant rejections? What's that!

In a world where you can SOLVE SUPERCRIME idk why Allison is such a wet blanket about ooooh I'll never change society ooooh. Like, realistically she couldn't solve crime forever, but hey! They solved supercrime!!

Wait

Are new people being born with super powers?

Or is it just these assholes born in that specific time frame

Because there should be a whole new generation of super powered individuals coming around VERY soon.

Not even like, from Allison's age group- just a whole new batch that were born ten years after Allison and co.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
IIRC only millenials born within a certain time frame have powers. Something to do with a magical storm I think?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

PetraCore posted:

There aren't literally over 7 billion people in the world many of whom get sick, one person can produce ALL the livers! Organ transplant rejections? What's that!

To be fair, they said Feral is a universal donor, magically histocompatible with everyone ever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
She isn't producing more organs than the entire human race needs; just more organs than her doctors can get into patients with the infrastructure they have.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean let's be fair getting painfully continually organ harvested over the weekend and then getting the week off is both still contributing a lot and is about the bounds of reasonable ethics in the first place, but pointing that out just makes her original situation that much more absurd. Even though she's the one who wanted that the psychological impact on the surgeons would be... pretty huge, I imagine. Torture damages everyone involved.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PetraCore posted:

I don't think there's much saving Feral's character, her arc effectively ended with the endless utilitarian vivisection hell but then they felt the need to pen in a "but then all the problems were solved and she lived happily ever after because rape" epilogue, in a final warning about how competently the comic was ever going to handle any of its ostensible themes

Patrick never really had a cohesive character, he's just a foil to Allison and therefore can automatically be read to be good in proportion to how much she sucks. If they wanted to reconcile what a mess his persona is I guess they coulda made this chapter about how he'd successfully tracked down and mindripped part of The Conspiracy, and having that guy's xeroxed soul whispering in his ear 24/7 was slowly persuading him of DEATH TO THE SUPERMAN UP WITH THE COMMON FOLK

Typical Pubbie posted:

IIRC only millenials born within a certain time frame have powers. Something to do with a magical storm I think?

Mulligan read Midnight's Children and extremely didn't get it

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Mulligan read Midnight's Children and extremely didn't get it

"Mulligan read" is being generous. He probably watched Misfits and wanted to make something like it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah but what I'm saying is even if a relatively small percentage of the population can even have superpowers you only 'solve' the fact of superpowered people being criminals by relentlessly and disproportionately punishing them or super effectively rehabilitating them and I can take a wild loving guess which one didn't happen. Also this means all the supervillains Allison was fighting as a child soldier were also children which definitely makes the whole thing a ton grimmer, even if they're only really going to show us this with Patrick and uh... knife-cancer boy.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Knife-cancer guy got cured of being evil by Harry Potter

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Elysiume posted:

Knife-cancer guy got cured of being evil by Harry Potter
But, and let me make this clear, he was not cured of knife-cancer. Sounds like a success for milquetoast liberalism to me!

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
hermione is his favourite character because she is a strong female protagonist

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
But Allison visits him sometimes because she is the only good person in the world. Of course, she only made an effort to sympathizing with him after locking him up, and because of her privilege as a superhero is probably the only person allowed to visit him. He will never be rehabilitated or let free, and will spend the rest of his - likely short due to the cancer - life being restrained to the point that he is utterly unable to move.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Anyway my impression was the poo poo that happened to cancer boy is what happened to most supervillains that got any significant level of attention, or even just people with lovely superpowers that unfortunately endangered people around them. This is probably not what Mulligan intends anymore but too bad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PetraCore posted:

Softened. Softened is the word you’re looking for. Feral is now soft and unthreatening, like Clevin.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Captain Oblivious posted:

Softened. Softened is the word you’re looking for. Feral is now soft and unthreatening, like Clevin.
Of course she's been softened they took out all her bones to donate them to leukemia orphans.

Anyway I guess on a serious note I guess drinking beer sometimes and talking all southern is all that's needed to make Feral a 'bad good girl'.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Like I had no idea feral did anything bad. Her mind apparently is Allison catnip. So I figured she was a "good guy"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Axe-man posted:

Like I had no idea feral did anything bad. Her mind apparently is Allison catnip. So I figured she was a "good guy"
She is but she also got into a lot of fights as a superpowered teenaged delinquent and is a murderer bc of it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PetraCore posted:

She is but she also got into a lot of fights as a superpowered teenaged delinquent and is a murderer bc of it.

I don't know... They must have deserved it. It is a female character who is selfishless and madona figure. That will be the next reveal to make everyone more... soft.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

please settle down and consume a nice, warm, bland bowl of plain pasta

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Typical Pubbie posted:

"Mulligan read" is being generous. He probably watched Misfits and wanted to make something like it.

Except the characters aren't even the least bit interesting! Does have the magical plot storm, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

please settle down and consume a nice, warm, bland bowl of plain pasta

Clevin made this pasta for you by pouring room temperature water on some dry noodles. Thank him for it or he'll feel sad.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Clevin is the dumbass spouse who skates by and manages to marry the gal with a PhD in particle physics. She pities him and he worships her but secretly hates that she is better than him in any way.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
if clevin was a professional figure skater the comic would be a million times better

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Axe-man posted:

Clevin is the dumbass spouse who skates by and manages to marry the gal with a PhD in particle physics. She pities him and he worships her but secretly hates that she is better than him in any way.

That would actually have some level of tension and make for a potentially interesting relationship story if the dumbass husband realizes how he's feeling. I don't trust Mulligan to deliver something like this. Instead we'll get pasta and half-understood PC buzzwords.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 15, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

When's Feral going to solve world hunger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I think, despite having skipped that portion of the comic, Allison is only dating Clevin because she wants to feel normal in a convenient, placid way and Clevin is the most convenient placid person she knows. I doubt she has any real attraction to or passion for him, and a good writer would make him lukewarm and bland because that's how Allison sees him and why she's using him.

If this goes the way I think it's going Allison breaking down Patrick's emotional walls and coping mechanisms will turn out completely fine and he'll cry and kiss her or confess to her or something because this dumb mind trip has been reinforcing how much he's genuinely in love with her and unable to express it. The Joy memory, the Sentinel, whatever. Allison will want it but either feel guilty about Clevin and rebuff Patrick or just completely dive into it despite dating Clevin bc she doesn't actually LIKE Clevin.

Whatever happens will probably be even more contrived than my predictions, but there you have it.

• Locked thread