Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

isk posted:

To each their own - for my bit, I'm not angry with Eureka or pessimistic about FFXIVs future. It's not a great experience for most but I'd say it's the first content miss since Midas Savage. I also kept my expectations low because lol Diadem (but I get how others felt hype). If it's still lovely after a year of updates that took so much dev time that other parts of the game notably suffered (Hildibrand, Omega, Ivalice, etc.) then I'd be more concerned. Until then I'm reasonably confident this'll be one of the rare hitches in a generally well-oiled machine.
Well, part of the problem is the content's already suffered. We've gotten less dungeons per patch than Heavensward for example, with the side effect of EXDR rotations lasting two patches rather than one and how tedious that becomes. And sidequests like Hildibrand have suffered too; it's been two and a half patches and it's only finally getting started. Add on the fact that Eureka is a patch and a half late and still released in this pathetic state, and you kind of have to wonder what's going on behind the scenes at Squenix.

I mean it's hardly the end of the game or something, but it's really bad in the long run for stomblood since this was supposed to be "the" casual timesink to keep people involved like POTD or the anima grinds were in heavensward, and it... isn't gonna work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

Is the EU crew still kicking around on Omega? I've tried to stick it out on NA out of some weird dumb Internet Loyalty to the server I started on but trying to play any DPS class or trying any difficult content has become extremely frustrating.

I don't hate you NA pals but I'd like to be able to dodge things again.

EU FC is alive and well

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Failboattootoot posted:

I think most of the secondary content they've added to this game since 3.0 has been a miss. I don't have a lot of positive things to say about all the stuff they try and put in as an alternative to dungeons and raids. I especialy have nothing positive to say about any of the stuff they have added in SB. Swimming, Rival Wings, Eureka, Canals, Squadron dugeons, subaquatic voyages, the housing debacle (even though that one didn't personally affect me), fashion report have all been bad to varying degrees. Also not a fan of the dev team making ultra hardcore raid content since so few people will bother but I'm willing to let that one slide.

Fair point. I should clarify that by "miss" I mean things that would directly impact subscriptions thru the severity of the issues. For instance, Fashion Report loses accessibility thru reliance on exploration mats but folks can still participate with modest resources and get several Cactpots worth of GP. I see that as less of a disappointment than Eureka, esp given community sentiment about Relic/Anima weapons.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Sorry for double post, on phone

Asimo posted:

Well, part of the problem is the content's already suffered. We've gotten less dungeons per patch than Heavensward for example, with the side effect of EXDR rotations lasting two patches rather than one and how tedious that becomes. And sidequests like Hildibrand have suffered too; it's been two and a half patches and it's only finally getting started. Add on the fact that Eureka is a patch and a half late and still released in this pathetic state, and you kind of have to wonder what's going on behind the scenes at Squenix.

I mean it's hardly the end of the game or something, but it's really bad in the long run for stomblood since this was supposed to be "the" casual timesink to keep people involved like POTD or the anima grinds were in heavensward, and it... isn't gonna work that way.

I'd be interested to see the cause for scaling back dungeon count. Was Eureka a factor or was it quality of life (so designers don't work to exhaustion like they did in HW).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

isk posted:

Sorry for double post, on phone

I'd be interested to see the cause for scaling back dungeon count. Was Eureka a factor or was it quality of life (so designers don't work to exhaustion like they did in HW).

HW was less than ARR though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The only good thing about Eureka is the constant shitposting in shout chat.

gently caress these Sparkler and Confetti drops. :argh:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I don't have a quote for it, but I recall in some interview the devs have talked about shutting down diadem entirely.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Their argument was that there are too many dungeons already to the point that adding more has a diminishing impact, and it would free up resources to work on side content (Eureka was specifically cited). TBH its hard to argue with the first point because the shelf life on dungeons is real short and there's a shitload of instances that you will likely never see these days unless you go seek them out specifically. That doesn't make the 1 dungeon patches any better, but if there was a real compelling side activity instead I doubt people would care too much. Problem is 1) for most people Eureka isn't that, and 2) Eureka didn't even come out in the lean patch so lol. just solve both problems at the same time and ripoff mythic+ imo, yoship

But hey 3.3 is another lean patch so let's see what we get next

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I think people would be less sour on Eureka if it hadn't eaten up such a large amount of dev resources for the result. Verminion and Fashion Report are both pretty meh but they are also much smaller side projects in the grand scheme of things. The better comparison would be PotD, which while still the subject of a lot of rolled eyes manages to be more engaging than Eureka. And that even give you an option for leveling your actual jobs.

I completely understand and sympathize with an effort to create something new rather than just make PotD 2.0 (with special guest boss Ethereal Queen on floor 100) but creating an entire quasi-zone stuck in circa 2003 game design isn't really what they should be spending their effort on.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's the issue with fashion report? I saw it in the patch notes but that's all I know about it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nodosaur posted:

1.0 ended, in much the same way dogs named Old Yeller do.

Except Old Yeller was remembered fondly...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
(role play) why skip your eureka quest text when i can read it to you in voice chat so don't be shy join now! :)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

orcane posted:

What's the issue with fashion report? I saw it in the patch notes but that's all I know about it.

Mostly that Masked Rose has awful taste in fashion. There's also an issue that in order to get top points your need at least one or two really rare/expensive things and lots of rare dye, but in truth you only need 100 points one time ever and can get by on 80 points every other week.

For example last week the only rings you could get max points from were either a 1.0 thing that can rarely drop from one specific retainer venture, or a seasonal item from 2014 (which I didn't get because I wasn't level 35 before that event ended :mad:)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Their argument was that there are too many dungeons already to the point that adding more has a diminishing impact, and it would free up resources to work on side content (Eureka was specifically cited). TBH its hard to argue with the first point because the shelf life on dungeons is real short and there's a shitload of instances that you will likely never see these days unless you go seek them out specifically. That doesn't make the 1 dungeon patches any better, but if there was a real compelling side activity instead I doubt people would care too much. Problem is 1) for most people Eureka isn't that, and 2) Eureka didn't even come out in the lean patch so lol. just solve both problems at the same time and ripoff mythic+ imo, yoship

But hey 3.3 is another lean patch so let's see what we get next

I mean going back and doing "extreme" mode ARR dungeons might not be bad. They were pretty creative with their use of the maps for hard modes.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I think you are right as far as leveling and anemo goes. You probably really need to grind chains though for protean for better returns.

Yeah but you can coast on up to like level 9 or whatever and then just get a chain group going for the actual crystals

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mordiceius posted:

(role play) why skip your eureka quest text when i can read it to you in voice chat so don't be shy join now! :)

She must make a lot of gil this way, I saw an add of hers the other day where she was reading Fate and Duty texts.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hyperion is the home of Tepe's Treasures, run by the madam Queen Tepe, who I spotted doing the idol event last night singling out "frequent guests" to her brothel.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I completed Singularity Reactor and the base HW story. My thoughts:

On the whole, Heavensward impressed me as a solid, generally well-written story. I liked Ysayle and Estinian both in their own rights and as a microcosm of both sides of the Dragonsong War, and the expansion mostly maintained a strong narrative and thematic focus about comfortable lies versus painful truth, and of trying to make a new start despite a bloody history. I didn't like Ayemric, Ysayle, or Estinian at first, but they all grew on me a lot as the story continued - Ysayle's last hurrah is by far the biggest emotional punch FF14 has yet landed on me, and in a good way. Some surprisingly good one scene wonder characters - mainly Hilda, Matoya, and Ravana - were also welcome and fun, and I'd like to see more of the former two as I enter the 3.X content. For how brief his appearance is, Ravana might be my favorite primal to date.

There were, of course, missteps. Every trip to Ul'dah was a jarring distraction from what's otherwise a very focused and interesting story, and I think either should have been postponed to 3.X or not happened at all. Alphinaud is still a moronic shithead, sorry Alphie lovers. A number of characters with what I felt was a lot of story potential were wasted, notably Hilda and Lucia. The new voice actors for much of the returning cast were jarring, and while I quickly warmed to some like Tataru and Nanamo now sounding like actual adults, I do not like the new VAs for Senna, Merlwyb, and Y'shtola.

Heavensward's biggest shortcoming to me, though, is the villains. I've never cared for the Ascians, they feel like very generic evil dudes pursuing very generic evil plots and that the story has no interest establishing what their goals, motives, powers, or limitations are beyond "evil." Thordan and the Heavensward are no better, again very generic in their motivations and personalities. For an expansion named after them, I was expecting to get to know the Ward as a bunch of recurring bad guys, but the only one who comes close is Zephirin. Thordan himself is a cipher, there's nothing to him beyond the rote "evil cloaked in light who says he's good" bad guy archetype. Nidhogg, big angry dragon whoopee nothing interesting here. The evil Vanu get no personality beyond that they're jerks, and Bismarck himself is completely silent. I consider Ravana the best villain of the expansion despite him only being in it for five minutes, because unlike everyone else in this joyless expansion he at least seems to be having fun.

I also knocked out the astrologian quests up through level 60, and I think they're pretty weak in terms of story. Yes, game, I get it. Ishgard are snobby jerks, Sharleyan are snobby jerks, Leveva has daddy issues and wants to teach astrology, Jannequinard is a horndog with a heart of gold, knight guy is also there. Everyone, ally and enemy, felt very shallow and that nothing much really happened during the story. I think setting the astrologians in Ishgard, from a writing perspective, was a mistake. I think Limsa Lominsa would have been the much more natural fit, an order of mages who study the stars would fit right in with a maritime culture given how important astronomy and star charting has historically been for sailors.

Still, a very substantial improvement over ARR, and despite things like Ul'dah and Alphinaud, I'm glad I've stuck things out this far.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Cythereal posted:

I also knocked out the astrologian quests up through level 60, and I think they're pretty weak in terms of story. Yes, game, I get it. Ishgard are snobby jerks, Sharleyan are snobby jerks, Leveva has daddy issues and wants to teach astrology, Jannequinard is a horndog with a heart of gold, knight guy is also there. Everyone, ally and enemy, felt very shallow and that nothing much really happened during the story. I think setting the astrologians in Ishgard, from a writing perspective, was a mistake. I think Limsa Lominsa would have been the much more natural fit, an order of mages who study the stars would fit right in with a maritime culture given how important astronomy and star charting has historically been for sailors.

Still, a very substantial improvement over ARR, and despite things like Ul'dah and Alphinaud, I'm glad I've stuck things out this far.

I completely agree with you. I will say, though, that the entire AST storyline is nothing but a vessel for Jannequinard to be a loveable noble horndog idiot. That's how I see it. I really like him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AST's storyline at least has some amusing characters and something resembling a plot. I still, to this day, could not tell you what the gently caress the PLD 50-60 story is about.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
My friend tells me that Eureka is like Final Fantasy XI. That is not a good thing. XI was bad and making a thing deliberately like XI is a terrible idea. What is the name of the joker who came up with Eureka so I know who to curse at. I resent fans of XI for leeching time and effort away from making more content for Final Fantasy XIV which is the game I bought and expect to play.
To be honest though I have plenty of games to play besides XIV so I've not been doing all the raids and such anyway. I still hate Final Fantasy XI though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you should resent square enix for creating the content

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Go level Dark Knight if you haven't yet, the 30-50 story is a+ even if you can see the twist coming a mile away.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kitfox88 posted:

Go level Dark Knight if you haven't yet, the 30-50 story is a+ even if you can see the twist coming a mile away.

Dark Knight is a tank and I loathe tanking on a visceral level so that class is near the bottom of my list of things to do, sorry.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

macfam posted:

My friend tells me that Eureka is like Final Fantasy XI. That is not a good thing. XI was bad and making a thing deliberately like XI is a terrible idea. What is the name of the joker who came up with Eureka so I know who to curse at. I resent fans of XI for leeching time and effort away from making more content for Final Fantasy XIV which is the game I bought and expect to play.
To be honest though I have plenty of games to play besides XIV so I've not been doing all the raids and such anyway. I still hate Final Fantasy XI though.

I hope this is a massive "see you don't actually want FFXI again" troll and they flip a switch that turns into a "reasonable" grind.

(It never happened with diadem, it'll never happen here)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I want to wring the neck of every OF poster who says "a significant number of people want FFXI style content, SE" or something similar.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cythereal posted:

Dark Knight is a tank and I loathe tanking on a visceral level so that class is near the bottom of my list of things to do, sorry.

:smith: i like tanking but s'cool. If you don't mind spoilers the summary of it is the warrior of light starts hallucinating from all the stress of saving the world and being treated like poo poo and getting betrayed by people they trusted, talks to a corpse of a dark knight that they don't realize is dead, gets a job stone from it, then gets 'taught' how to be a dark knight and harness their vengeance by said corpse that actually ends up being a shade of their anger and rage at constantly being expected to be the big hero for everyone, ending in them fighting the shade after it materializes for real. I'd recommend viewing the scenes on youtube if you won't ever do them yourself, because even though you can see the twist coming it's pretty cool. I leveled it to 50 before starting the HW content proper and it felt extremely thematically appropriate to where the story was post 2.x ending and 3.x starting, so it's got a special place in my heart.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought the AST quest was charming for being less grimly crushing and apocalyptic, while still being consonant with the themes of Heavensward; you overcome the restraints of the past to create a better future.

Just started DRK the other night, though. Boy, they throw you in the deep end, huh!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

once you get to this step you have to grind drops from the highest level nm. if you take the feather it drops to gerolt, he tells you that's the item, and to bring him an unspecified number more.

lol

I think the worst part is that once the rush for this is over it's gonna be an even worse grind in the future once nobody is doing it (since it's not tied to content that people would otherwise do like previous afs) so, unless they nerf it, by refusing to poopsock this grind RIGHT NOW I'm basically conceding that incredible smn book forever. feels great, thanks square.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Verranicus posted:

I want to wring the neck of every OF poster who says "a significant number of people want FFXI style content, SE" or something similar.

I am with you. Although there is a real disconnect with that crowd where it seems like it is a bunch of latecomers to the FF11 scene and they are wanting content like abyssea and behests and not the ol' razzle-dazzle of valkurm dunes.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I only went in to see what the gear looks like, got to a point where Krile has a red icon and says "go find a protean crystal" which I assume means go chain kill something 30 times. Sure the patch notes mention this is a thing, but the game itself doesn't and that kind of bugs me in a "newbies next year will have no idea what is going on" sense.

Also it wouldn't let me even see the gear before doing this. Damnit Krile I thought you were cool.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Countblanc posted:

you should resent square enix for creating the content

KoB
May 1, 2009

Thundarr posted:

I only went in to see what the gear looks like, got to a point where Krile has a red icon and says "go find a protean crystal" which I assume means go chain kill something 30 times. Sure the patch notes mention this is a thing, but the game itself doesn't and that kind of bugs me in a "newbies next year will have no idea what is going on" sense.

Also it wouldn't let me even see the gear before doing this. Damnit Krile I thought you were cool.

Pretty sure they just drop randomly as well. 30 multiplier is just a guarantee.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

market prohibited

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

shas posted:

market prohibited

2 pairs of chaps per rear end cheek, sure glad I can't do poo poo with these

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

KoB posted:

Pretty sure they just drop randomly as well. 30 multiplier is just a guarantee.

30's not even a guarantee. It's just an incredibly high chance. I have 35 of the fuckers and I'm level 6, but also 27 of the NM crystals. I just want the drat t-rex.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Skaw posted:

30's not even a guarantee. It's just an incredibly high chance. I have 35 of the fuckers and I'm level 6, but also 27 of the NM crystals. I just want the drat t-rex.

No, you get a Protean Crystal for hitting chain 30. Guaranteed. It's where most of mine have come from :suicide:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I wish I remember how to samurai

Is there a guide somewhere that people suggest?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
We killed a clown.

e: the warrior's pictures were better then mine. :colbert:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
edit: ^^^^ :hf:

In not Eureka related news, we got our first savage sigma clear.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 15, 2018