Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've only played the first three games but I like Silent Hill's cult aspect because it's old America mysticism but there's also the modern sect that just wants to sell drugs to tourists. It's interesting that Heather is not only nonplussed but grows increasingly frustrated by the horror bullshit, like it's just an annoyance she has to deal with. And that creepy guy acts surprised that she sees the creatures as monsters because the cult views them as angelic beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

For the first ten seconds or so, I thought it was going to be a game in the style of Lone Survivor. Now, it's my most anticipated game of the year.

yeah i'm kinda mad i know about it, i'd rather just have seen it on release.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Even then I feel like people kinda miss the point and focus more on the lore of the series overall than the personal story Silent Hill 2 is trying to tell. So many people seem to think that the town is punishing James, Angela and Eddie as some kind of pseudo-Christian purgatory when really, the town is just twisting itself to their innermost desires; all of which are completely unhealthy and devastating.

I think if you've had severe mental health issues, you'll take a lot more out of Silent Hill 2 than others do.

Angela's scenes were pretty powerful to me because all of it feels so emotionally raw. Her taunting James if he thinks he thinks he can love her and that would magically fix all her pain was pretty refreshing to hear.

Morpheus posted:

1 was less of a mirror, and more of a physical manifestation of a broken girl's psyche. Also heavily cult-related.

Would 4's otherworld be considered a broken child's psyche, or more of a twisted manifestation of Walter's childhood memories?

I liked the escalator in the subway because for a little kid, an escalator ride would probably feel incredibly long.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Angela's scenes were pretty powerful to me because all of it feels so emotionally raw. Her taunting James if he thinks he thinks he can love her and that would magically fix all her pain was pretty refreshing to hear.

Would 4's otherworld be considered a broken child's psyche, or more of a twisted manifestation of Walter's childhood memories?

I liked the escalator in the subway because for a little kid, an escalator ride would probably feel incredibly long.

Angela is my favorite character in 2 but she's also the character that makes me the most uncomfortable because I can see a lot of myself in her.

Silent Hill 2 isn't scary but it disturbs and hits you raw; moreso if you can personally relate to the characters.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s been a long time but I remember SH2 scared the poo poo out of me

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Not the game, I’m referring to the movie.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

oldpainless posted:

Not the game, I’m referring to the movie.

And I seem to recall that the first Silent Hill movie wasn't actually that bad? At least as far as video-game-movies are concerned.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
On average it's pretty decent - good start, bad end. The 2nd SH movie is dreadful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And I seem to recall that the first Silent Hill movie wasn't actually that bad? At least as far as video-game-movies are concerned.

It was pretty decent unless you're the guy at that Ma and Pa rental store near me. Dude was furious that it had a Harriet and not a Harry as the protagonist.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
To be fair, it was a pretty weird change since iirc the reason behind it was because they didn't think people could empathize with a father going through hell to get his daughter back in the way a mother would, but then ended up writing in a father character searching for his daughter anyway

Vakal
May 11, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

To be fair, it was a pretty weird change since iirc the reason behind it was because they didn't think people could empathize with a father going through hell to get his daughter back in the way a mother would, but then ended up writing in a father character searching for his daughter anyway

And pyramid head for no reason more money.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The first Silent Hill movie absolutely nailed the atmosphere. And not much else. That goddamn exposition dump at the end, man. Although I guess that is pretty videogame.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FirstAidKite posted:

yeah, explicitly the director was kind of a dickhead about it and said that no one would believe that a father would go through so much trouble for an adopted daughter or some poo poo

the silent hill movie was incredibly decent compared to the dumpster fire it could have been instead. which is the sequel. a dumpster fire, that is. the sequel retroactively makes the first silent hill movie look like macbeth in comparison.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I like that the running theme of 2015 onwards is "things so lovely you feel like the things you used to call lovely aren't even that bad any more"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This is why the UFO ending in Shattered Memories is the best ending in the series (except maybe for Dog Ending in SH2).

Kaufman: So your father was abducted by aliens. I think I liked this better when it involved demons and a cult.

James: Hi, I'm here for couples therapy.

Kaufman: You're the four o'clock.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jukebox Hero posted:

I like that the running theme of 2015 onwards is "things so lovely you feel like the things you used to call lovely aren't even that bad any more"

it actually can't be overstated how supremely awful the second silent hill movie is. i've generally never minded the first movie that much. it kind of did its own thing and at least sort of managed something coherent?

but the sequel? it's like a fever dream made up of all the incredibly awful things that videogame movies tend to do and i genuinely wish it didn't exist.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I think my biggest peeve about the Silent Hill movies was their use of the soundtracks from the games, especially the poaching of SH2 tracks for the first movie.

It just felt so unearned.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Completely separate of the license I think Silent Hill is a solid C film, particularly because it relies heavily on theatrical set design and latex costumes. The creatures are beautiful, all of it costumes (with some CG editing for Jacob's Ladder jerkiness of course), and the fact you have people basically blinded from rubber suits and walking on stilts everyone moves just like the monsters from the game. It's what The Thing remake should've looked like. Honestly the better film is the Making of the Movie because it is a labor of love.

But 2006 also saw Slither, the much better practical effects driven horror film that was criminally ignored whereas Silent Hill almost doubled its budget.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

With the first film I genuinely enjoyed how they visualised everything. Set and monster design was really good.

Letting a child expodump everything near the end rather than breadcrumbing more throughout the film was my main issue with it. I haven't seen the second.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Main thing I remember about the first movie (besides the cool visual at the end of Alessa dancing in a rain of blood) was wondering what writer was pissed at Cybil and wanted that character to suffer

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

This is why the UFO ending in Shattered Memories is the best ending in the series (except maybe for Dog Ending in SH2).

Kaufman: So your father was abducted by aliens. I think I liked this better when it involved demons and a cult.

James: Hi, I'm here for couples therapy.

Kaufman: You're the four o'clock.

I haven't seen his wife in a while though...

Also, I knew someone who said that they felt like Shattered Memories' story more or less meant that Shattered Memories is a sequel to the bad ending of Silent Hill where the whole thing was a dying dream of Harry in a car crash and I like that idea, even if it's obviously just one of those fan theory things and nothing more.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I understand why Shattered Memories is love or hate, but as someone who loved 1-3 before leaving the series, I thought SM was some excellent poo poo held down by an uninspired and underused game. It got the spark of the whole deal from another angle, but it just didn't have strong enough traction in its presentation.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I actually liked it a lot. Might be because I played it on the Wii and I thought waving the remote around as a flashlight and using it as a cellphone to hear all the creepy phone calls was awesome.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

It's definitely not a "horror game" but Subnautica has been scaring the poo poo out of me. It's a survival game where you've crash landed on a planet that is 99 percent ocean and you must adapt and build to survive. I had built a little one man submersible and decided I would go scout out some undersea wreckage. As I cruised I came around the side of an underwater hill. The thing that came at me can only be described as The Predator mixed with a shark about 100 meters long. It grabbed my transportation and slammed it into the seafloor where it exploded. I had to pause the game because it was so sudden and scared me so bad. I'm fine with every kind of horror out there. I play horror games and watch horror movies but there is something about the vast expanse of the ocean that terrifies me on a primal level. Good game though. Just came out of early access. Everyone should check it out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Shattered Memories at the time, I'd probably look less kindly on the ending nowadays when every indie game uses 'it was a dream/in your head the whole time' though.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
The second film has a part where Heather summons Pyramid Head to do battle against Claudia, who has transformed into the final boss. It's very bad.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ferrous posted:

The second film has a part where Heather summons Pyramid Head to do battle against Claudia, who has transformed into the final boss. It's very bad.

I rented the second one from Redbox when it first came out. I forgot to watch it or return it. It's on my shelf still. I don't really plan to watch it but I paid for it so I don't wanna throw it away.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Untrustable posted:

I rented the second one from Redbox when it first came out. I forgot to watch it or return it. It's on my shelf still. I don't really plan to watch it but I paid for it so I don't wanna throw it away.

Oh god please don't watch it.

I actually tried to convince my friend to watch it for a while by pretending it was good. He never believed me for a second.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Black August posted:

I understand why Shattered Memories is love or hate, but as someone who loved 1-3 before leaving the series, I thought SM was some excellent poo poo held down by an uninspired and underused game. It got the spark of the whole deal from another angle, but it just didn't have strong enough traction in its presentation.

I think if Sam Barlow wasn't so far up his own rear end he's in danger of disappearing, it would have been better liked. "THE GAME IS PLAYING YOU AS MUCH AS YOU'RE PLAYING IT!! :tinfoil:" *Makes it nearly impossible to not get the horny ending because there's twice as many of those investigation hotspots as anything else*

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Was Shattered Memories the one where you weren't really in any danger from investigating areas because there were no monsters, and that the only scares come from scripted chase scenes? I kind of remember a review mentioning something like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah pretty much, outside of some light puzzles and the chase sequences it was probably one of the earlier 'walking simulators'.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ferrous posted:

Oh god please don't watch it.

I actually tried to convince my friend to watch it for a while by pretending it was good. He never believed me for a second.

It's lumped in with the stuff I accidentally bought from Redbox: Wreck It Ralph, Lords of Salem, a PS3 copy of Dark Souls 2, and some Tina Fey/Jason Bateman movie I think? All useless. It's a shrine to my irresponsibility.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

amigolupus posted:

Was Shattered Memories the one where you weren't really in any danger from investigating areas because there were no monsters, and that the only scares come from scripted chase scenes? I kind of remember a review mentioning something like that.

Yeah once you realize that you're in no danger until the 'DANGER RUN NOW' sections start, the game's horror really lessens. The fact that the chase sequences themselves were irritating mazes with no way of knowing where to go was a pain, too, making them more tedious and annoying than anything else.

Untrustable posted:

It's definitely not a "horror game" but Subnautica has been scaring the poo poo out of me. It's a survival game where you've crash landed on a planet that is 99 percent ocean and you must adapt and build to survive. I had built a little one man submersible and decided I would go scout out some undersea wreckage. As I cruised I came around the side of an underwater hill. The thing that came at me can only be described as The Predator mixed with a shark about 100 meters long. It grabbed my transportation and slammed it into the seafloor where it exploded. I had to pause the game because it was so sudden and scared me so bad. I'm fine with every kind of horror out there. I play horror games and watch horror movies but there is something about the vast expanse of the ocean that terrifies me on a primal level. Good game though. Just came out of early access. Everyone should check it out.

That game scared the poo poo out of me when I played it, especially before you get the Seamoth. Like, just going to down more than 50 feet set me ill at ease, knowing that I would have to ascend into an open ocean to get a breath of air and not knowing what was around me. The ambient noise really helps too, hearing a reefback croon from out of visual sight and not knowing what it was sent me scrambling for a cave. And yeah there were many times when I would need to pause to just breath and collect my thoughts, especially after something jumped into my field of view or something. Even after getting the submersible, and having that armor around me, I still felt a lurch of fear whenever I entered a large, dark space, not knowing what was in it.

But yeah, that area under the Aurora, where everything is dead and you can just hear the howls of a Reaper Leviathan from the murky depths always scares the crap out of me. I went there to get what I needed and never returned.

I beat the game last night, and I was surprised at how much fun I had with it, considering my fear of the open ocean. I'd definitely recommend it to folks.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Danaru posted:

I think if Sam Barlow wasn't so far up his own rear end he's in danger of disappearing, it would have been better liked. "THE GAME IS PLAYING YOU AS MUCH AS YOU'RE PLAYING IT!! :tinfoil:" *Makes it nearly impossible to not get the horny ending because there's twice as many of those investigation hotspots as anything else*

The original pitch for the Silent Hill Wii game was going to be called Cold Heart and would have been much different than Shattered Memories looking at the design documents.

http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2014/12/09/Silent-Hill-Cold-Heart-pitch.aspx

Not saying it would have been a better game, just different.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Morpheus posted:

But yeah, that area under the Aurora, where everything is dead and you can just hear the howls of a Reaper Leviathan from the murky depths always scares the crap out of me. I went there to get what I needed and never returned.

I beat the game last night, and I was surprised at how much fun I had with it, considering my fear of the open ocean. I'd definitely recommend it to folks.

My first ever encounter with them I thought the sound was the ship settling, since the wreck of the ship does, in fact, make groaning noises while it's settling. It was kind of surprising when I turned around and saw not one, but two of those things coming at me.

It's not a horror game but those moments are scary as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Danaru posted:

Was getting the horny thing common? I got Good Dad Harry on my first try :unsmith:

I really liked the game though. I got it from Gamefly and played through it in a day. Sure the only times you're in danger are highly scripted but I still liked the ambiance and investigating. I even picked up a new copy a few months later in a futile effort to show I liked the series and I want more good Silent Hills.

*This is where people come in and tell me in a monster for liking the worst Silent Hill game*

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Shattered Memories is a fun spin off. Imo

My fave part is hearing all the different versions of the same memo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The worst silent hill is probably one of the incoherent mobile games, or that weird dungeon crawl they released most recently.

I always liked the cult. They have just barely enough ability to work with whatever the town is to pose a serious threat, and they're evil/misguided such that they do real harm, but at the same time it was also consistently clear that their religion was completely wrong. The cult are also victims at the mercy of whatever the town is. If they were actually moustache-twirling villains (like it became in Homecoming with a secret base and such), I'd like it a lot less.

By contrast, while I thought SH2 was well handled, I'm really sick of the "let's explore the protagonist's secret traumas" element of subsequent games, because when that becomes the focus of the plot it's both obvious and really restrictive. It works as a background part of the game, but not as the core narrative.

SH3's probably my favorite, which is no surprise given the above. But since people have such divided perspectives on what makes SH good, it's easy to see why making a new one would be hard.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 15, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Book of Memories has no business being a Silent Hill game but it's an okay-at-best Diablo clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Silent Hill: Revelation was always going to be an awful movie, and if you walked into it knowing that, it totally delivered on being gloriously stupid and a fun watch.