Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure I'd try to change the mind of an exec who had a tendency towards restricting remote access. That's actually a pretty good trait to have, you just gotta mold them carefully.. like get them to sign off on remote email, but keep the database with all the customer data buried deep inside the lan.

You are obviously not recalling Bob's management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You are obviously not recalling Bob's management.

I am familiar, am talking in generalities. :v:

A top level who doesn't want everything wide open to the world is a diamond in the rough.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
In general, yes, very agreed. Specifically in Bob's case, the boss is a loving moron! :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm stalking a larger local company that has some openings in IT. I have applied via their website in the past but never heard anything back.

Would it be out of the ordinary to find the highest ranking IT/IS employee I can on LinkedIn and send a good old-fashioned letter in the mail, indicating my desire to work for their company?

I'm wondering if he has an assistant go through his mail and send that kind of poo poo right over to HR so he never sees it (or in the bin).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I'm wondering if he has an assistant go through his mail and send that kind of poo poo right over to HR so he never sees it (or in the bin).

Have you tried email first?

Either way, if it gets thrown away all you've lost is some time and paper.

I've done it before with Valve and it at least got passed around internally (as per google analytics on my CV).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

(as per google analytics on my CV).

Nice

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Humphreys posted:

That turned into being the guy to rip images and videos off rotten.com etc to use for 'desensitisation nights'.

Honestly, considering the internet has ceased being able to shock me as of many years ago, i'd gladly do this instead of a ton of basic army chores. I might be a little bit broken, though.

In other news, what's triggering me today is that i'm leaving BT's lovely service at home. I was very happy about this, until I realised that they also supply my work and the usually stable service is hosed this week. It's like they know and are punishing me.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Agrikk posted:

Is this licensed or the free edition?

I click on Tape Infrastructure and then File to Tape. I select my target, select Full Backup. When I click on Add New for the Media Pool, It takes me to a space where I'm to add a Tape Library, and the "Add Tape Library" list is blank. This server has a pair of IBM ULTRIUM LTO3 SCSI drives direct attached.

What am I missing?

Free eddition.

Step one is making sure that your tape library and autoloader show up in Veeam. You should see a drive and a library full of tapes.
Step two is to take those tapes and create a new media pool with them. The pool is where you define the password, retention and other tape specific options.
Step 3 is to create a new files to tape backup job.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've done it before with Valve and it at least got passed around internally (as per google analytics on my CV).

How did you do that? embed an image on the email or something inside the word/pdf document.

I am impressed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably the CV was a webpage and they sent a link to it

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

spog posted:

How did you do that? embed an image on the email or something inside the word/pdf document.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Doing some Meraki<->Azure VPN testing

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

Also a great way to probe company internet security / firewall restrictions. Best case scenario is you get a call back without ever seeing a ping on the analytics page.

e; loving Cisco strong password requirements.
"It needs to be really strong! Use special characters! Oh except $ and &, those are too special and we don't like them to be in your password here."

Why the gently caress, Cisco, can I not use $ or & in my password. What are you doing.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 13, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Oh, I thought you'd done something really, really clever like embed a single linked pixel in the underlining somewhere.

Instead, it's just something really clever.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'd like to take credit for my mastermind plan but it was more a happy accident.

As a web developer having your CV as a page on your website can be a strong move, and of course I had analytics on it, so it didn't take me long to realise I could feed my neuroses by constantly refreshing the stats after sending out job feelers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's when you get a hit from an IPv6 host that vaguely spells out a word that you know you're a good match

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
My boss is paralyzingly indecisive and terrified of our director. He will not so much as approve vacation or work from home days without running it up the chain. Let alone providing valuable (or any) decision making acumen on things such as "can I add this to our spf record?" It is infuriating and I am questioning his usefulness.

To be fair, our director is a soulless sociopathic lizard person, and I wouldn't want to spend any more time with him than necessary, but gently caress me sideways I shouldn't have to ask permission from a director to send a loving email.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'd like to take credit for my mastermind plan but it was more a happy accident.

As a web developer having your CV as a page on your website can be a strong move, and of course I had analytics on it, so it didn't take me long to realise I could feed my neuroses by constantly refreshing the stats after sending out job feelers.

Put a big "Download" button near the top and track downloads to determine if people are reading or going further

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Put a big "Download" button near the top and track downloads to determine if people are reading or going further

Downloads of what? It's not really important, my CV hasn't been more than a formality for the last 5 years.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
You know, just because you technically *can* bypass our streaming filtering, doesn't mean you should. And if you had kept it reasonable and done 3-4 GB today of NCAA I wouldn't have even minded - I'm not a tyrant, I watch YouTube at work too.

But holy shitsnacks dude 23gb since 7:30 this morning is decidedly NOT OK.

Somebody's getting a talking to pretty quick.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Jaded Burnout posted:

Downloads of what? It's not really important, my CV hasn't been more than a formality for the last 5 years.

Malware. Alpha-rolling all recruiters and hiring managers at the outset of your relationship is a great way to anchor you as a superior candidate in their minds.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Antioch posted:

You know, just because you technically *can* bypass our streaming filtering, doesn't mean you should. And if you had kept it reasonable and done 3-4 GB today of NCAA I wouldn't have even minded - I'm not a tyrant, I watch YouTube at work too.

NCAA wack a mole is not fun.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Sickening posted:

NCAA wack a mole is not fun.

Neither was winter Olympics hockey whack a mole, but we solved that with a projector in the atrium and a "please actually work and don't watch hockey *all* day" email. :canada:

Antioch fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 14, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Malware. Alpha-rolling all recruiters and hiring managers at the outset of your relationship is a great way to anchor you as a superior candidate in their minds.

My cover letters are wall to wall negging.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Antioch posted:

We're pretty laid back about usage and just throttle streaming services. I've seen hbo go and netflix traffic when there's a big release, but it's never been an issue.

Until yesterday where my Director had to go talk to a VP about using NordVPN.

e: we had a guy trying to torrent while at work a couple months ago, and just straight up blocked his personal laptop with no warning.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

We're pretty laid back about usage and just throttle streaming services. I've seen hbo go and netflix traffic when there's a big release, but it's never been an issue.

Until yesterday where my Director had to go talk to a VP about using NordVPN.

e: we had a guy trying to torrent while at work a couple months ago, and just straight up blocked his personal laptop with no warning.

We got a C&D a few years back from our ISP. Third shift Operations was torrenting movies.

The C&D was for the Smurfs movie :what:

Like, at least download something good.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

My cover letters are wall to wall negging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Zz-Nkkaxc

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

How the hell is KnowBe4 sending email from an @contoso.com domain when we haven't listed them in our SPF record?

Outlook is sending their phishing email straight to junk, which is hilarious.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

How the hell is KnowBe4 sending email from an @contoso.com domain when we haven't listed them in our SPF record?

Your first line informs the second.

Sounds like it's working as intended.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you had a DMARC policy then it wouldn't even get as far as the junk mailbox

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Happiness Commando posted:

There's a difference between ~ and -

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Who has two thumbs and bought 14 of the wrong smart bulbs from Ikea?

It's me. There's no good smilie with two thumbs. I'm the one who did it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Who has two thumbs and bought 14 of the wrong smart bulbs from Ikea?

It's me. There's no good smilie with two thumbs. I'm the one who did it.

I thought I was back in the horrible mechanical failures thread for a minute.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Tradfri stuff is meant to be pretty decent.

Which ones did you buy vs. what you were meant to buy?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

anthonypants posted:

There's a difference between ~ and -

The header indicates SPF: pass, and we have -all at the end of the record

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
Today about fifteen minutes before I leave for the day, I get an email asking to run a report with a couple of extra columns, and they had gotten approval for my time to do so.

No big deal, I had added those columns earlier that day, due to a couple of similar requests last week. I'll even let that pass, since they were undoubtedly busy and hadn't checked that report since I had added them.

But when you cc the COO, two department heads from departments I don't work for and absolutely nobody from my department on that email, I may end up a bit irate.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Allegedly Allergic posted:

Today about fifteen minutes before I leave for the day, I get an email asking to run a report with a couple of extra columns, and they had gotten approval for my time to do so.

No big deal, I had added those columns earlier that day, due to a couple of similar requests last week. I'll even let that pass, since they were undoubtedly busy and hadn't checked that report since I had added them.

But when you cc the COO, two department heads from departments I don't work for and absolutely nobody from my department on that email, I may end up a bit irate.

I got an escalation from a jackass today who’s been putting in tickets daily for a printer to be added. Then having his boss send in tickets. Today, boss c-blasted a new ticket in asking what it takes to get a printer added. I responded with a polite version of “pick up the loving phone when I call.”

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Allegedly Allergic posted:

I wonder why C-suite never tells the users to leave them alone. I can't imagine they have time for dipshits who think their needs should supersede any other consideration.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skooma512 posted:

I wonder why C-suite never tells the users to leave them alone. I can't imagine they have time for dipshits who think their needs should supersede any other consideration.

Their assistants delete those emails out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Fool posted:

Their assistants delete those emails out of hand.

More or less this. Or in one case, the dipshit pissed off the assistant, so they talked IT into giving him just enough rope to hang himself. Turns out following the sev 1 incident process to the letter pisses off a lot of people when it's 'add this printer I bought from Office Depot to my machine so I can print coupons or some dumb poo poo'. Dipshit was fired for poor performance about a month later, because he was magically now under a microscope.