Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I have some questions for the long-term married folks here. I just got married a few months ago, and we will likely be in Korea long-term.

What is the best way to put my money to use in Korea? Stocks? Multicultural family accounts? Send it home? Something else?

I’m really just curious as to what others do. Most of the people I know have no idea and just let their spouse do everything, but I want to make sure we have all our bases covered. We have a few of the multicultural savings accounts going at 4.5% or so, but if anyone knows any specifics or anything better I would love to hear about it.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Let me tell you about bitcoin,

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I rec that traditional strategy of investing in real estate for large families in a country with a rapidly declining population. Bonus points if you try to sell it in 10 years when everyone else does too.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

guri posted:

Maybe a strange question but I figure someone here might have some idea -- I am looking to update my turntable setup and am in need of speaker suggestions. Preferably options that are readily available in Korea. Either powered speakers or a small amp and passive speakers. I've looked around for the usual budget suggestions from overseas but pretty much everything I have found requires importing via Gmarket and if at all possible I would like to avoid that. I found an amp/speaker combo from what seems to be a Korean brand, Bitway, but after trying to buy it from three different Gmarket sellers only to have it canceled, I've given up on that. Anyone with any experience?
Thought I would update this for anyone who might be searching in the future for whatever reason. I ended up getting an amp and speaker set from Elechorn which had a shop on Gmarket. Design-wise it is basically similar to other well-known brands. I am not a big sound nerd so I can't speak to specifics but am very happy with the purchase and it was nice to not have to deal with importing stuff.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
So I’m arriving in Seoul in a couple of weeks, check the weather and it’s loving -19 degrees there at the moment? I was expecting cold but that’s a whole -17 degrees colder than I’ve ever experienced so I’m a bit worried.

I’m just visiting to meet some friends and see how feasible coming over on a working holiday visa would be sometime in the next year or two now, thought that’s probably a safer option than moving there for 6 months without having even visited first lol.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

keirharder posted:

So I’m arriving in Seoul in a couple of weeks, check the weather and it’s loving -19 degrees there at the moment? I was expecting cold but that’s a whole -17 degrees colder than I’ve ever experienced so I’m a bit worried.

I’m just visiting to meet some friends and see how feasible coming over on a working holiday visa would be sometime in the next year or two now, thought that’s probably a safer option than moving there for 6 months without having even visited first lol.

Yeah, this is the coldest winter since like 2010 right now. The past few winters hardly even snowed, so it's pretty unlucky that you came this year. Works out pretty well for the Olympics, though!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm looking for someone to send me nuruk. Will pay. PM for details.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’m not there fighting for team summer, so the winterlovers like tom and peter are free to just gently caress up the place with their perverse love of the cold.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

I’m not there fighting for team summer, so the winterlovers like tom and peter are free to just gently caress up the place with their perverse love of the cold.

"What? This is cold? This isn't cold. Where I grew up in [insert a Midwest US state here] this is practically shorts weather"

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I can get by with a hoodie when it's above zero. But once it gets below freezing it's like the wind turns up to 11 and just turns into ice knives. I still ride the motorcycle into work every day but fuuuuck it's rough sometimes. Korean winter is nothing to gently caress with.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah but did you know in Ohio.....*drones on about a flyover state for the 50th time that day*

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

Love Stole the Day posted:

Yeah, this is the coldest winter since like 2010 right now. The past few winters hardly even snowed, so it's pretty unlucky that you came this year. Works out pretty well for the Olympics, though!

it'll be an interesting change from our 30-45 degree days here in the Australian summer at least!

Haven't really seen any info regarding this but is Korea like Japan where it's very much still a cash based society or is it easy enough to mostly pay by debit/credit card? I get so used to using paywave/paypass here that it's always a little disorientating when I visit Japan and have to carry around loads of coins and notes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Unless things have changed recently it's not like Japan but you might have trouble with an international card. Restaurants in particular probably won't accept them, if you're eating at the kinds of places locals do. I would have some cash on you. Korea tends to not accept non-Korean things.

With the Olympics they may have made an effort to fix that up though. Also if you travel outside Seoul assume nothing international works and no one speaks English. This is not necessarily true but if you go in with that mindset you're less likely to get screwed.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I've spent a few months of the last two years in Seoul and I used my generic American visa credit card and debit card everywhere 99.9% of the time. The only places I ever needed cash were street food sellers and a handful of nice bars where you actually tipped the bartenders.

Seconding the fact that everything outside of Seoul is totally different though. You can still use your foreign card at 711s and chain places but everything else becomes hit or miss (thankfully everything outside of Seoul also seems to be GS25 and chain places lol). Just don't expect navigable English signage or spoken English taking you very far.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Good to know. I mostly just travel with cash to avoid the possibility of issues.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
yeah international credit cards work plenty of places these days, not at all like japan. that said it’s good advice to keep cash on you just in case because it does happen. if you stay in touristy areas it’s likely less of an issue but that’s not fun!!!

p.s. i once was a “this is shorts weather” midwesterner but honestly korea cold is loving awful

p.p.s. grand fromage where have you been? did kakao get fully blocked by the great firewall :(

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

Unless things have changed recently it's not like Japan but you might have trouble with an international card. Restaurants in particular probably won't accept them, if you're eating at the kinds of places locals do. I would have some cash on you. Korea tends to not accept non-Korean things.

With the Olympics they may have made an effort to fix that up though. Also if you travel outside Seoul assume nothing international works and no one speaks English. This is not necessarily true but if you go in with that mindset you're less likely to get screwed.

When I first arrived in fall 2016 mist places accepted my non-chip Visa bank card but its still a good idea to keep cash on you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I always find it weird how many people have an aversion to taking some cash. I have a couple friends who travel without it and almost always end up ranting on FB about how their card wasn't accepted and they had a whole day or two of drama. Every time. If you travel somewhere without a couple days' cash in your pocket as a backup you're asking for it.

district 12 posted:

p.p.s. grand fromage where have you been? did kakao get fully blocked by the great firewall :(

Yeah Kakao is blocked again and my phone VPN hasn't been working. Waiting for an update to get around the new GFW poo poo.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
Thanks for the info! I’m not against taking cash everywhere it just means I can carry around less if I know I can spontaneously shop without having to find an international atm first. It’s mainly for bigger purchases like winter clothes or fancier meals.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I'm an American citizen, my wife is a Korean citizen, our baby daughter is a US citizen. We're currently in the US awaiting my wife's green card.

We're thinking about moving to Korea for a few years and then returning when our daughter is old enough for Kindergarten. How screwed up will it be for us to try to get back to the US? As US citizens, I know they will let my daughter and me back in, but what about my wife? Has anyone else out there done something similar?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Once she has a green card she should be good to go. There's no limit on leaving and reentering. The current administration hasn't been going after green card spouses.

Yet.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

nullscan posted:

Once she has a green card she should be good to go. There's no limit on leaving and reentering. The current administration hasn't been going after green card spouses.

Yet.

Does it matter that it will just be a conditional green card? Also I read that if you’re gone for more than a year (or 2 with prior permission) that you’re considered abandoning permanent residency status.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/820/~/can-a-u.s.-lawful-permanent-resident-leave-multiple-times-and-return

Looks like you're right, never knew about that. Guess it was a bit different for my ex wife since I am military.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

nullscan posted:

Looks like you're right, never knew about that. Guess it was a bit different for my ex wife since I am military.
Yeah, military and other government workers are exempt from those rules.

Milksteak
Dec 1, 2002
Anyone have a story of successfully purchasing tickets for the olympics along with a train ticket and hotel room booking?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Milksteak posted:

Anyone have a story of successfully purchasing tickets for the olympics along with a train ticket and hotel room booking?

I got two out of the three, but I am driving into Gangneung.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Milksteak posted:

All three no problem. Just required being on top of things.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

nelson posted:

Does it matter that it will just be a conditional green card? Also I read that if you’re gone for more than a year (or 2 with prior permission) that you’re considered abandoning permanent residency status.

Yes, before you do something like that you really want her to have the permanent green card. Then it does not matter anymore. Conditional green card is just for a couple years though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Gonna be back in Korea in May. Is that makgeolli place next to Anguk station still open?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Story of the Blue Star (푸른별 주막)? Pretty sure it's still around. I was there a couple of months ago.

superm0nk fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 15, 2018

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

superm0nk posted:

Story of the Blue Star (푸른별 주막)? Pretty sure it's still around. I was there a couple of months ago.

That's the one. Good to know, hope they still have their mugwort makgeolli.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I've only been there once but I was not very impressed with the food there. If it is the makgeoli, there are plenty good places around now. If it is the lovely/awesome interior, there are many of those near universities. What am I missing?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Pretty sure the lovely/awesome interior and the mugwort makgeolli are the exact reason people go there

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

The makgeolli is really nothing special, though. I'd recommend this place a lot more.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

superm0nk posted:

The makgeolli is really nothing special, though. I'd recommend this place a lot more.

Late post but I'll be sure to check it out. If anyone feels like going hiking or just wants to hang out hit me up on KakaoTalk, my id is jeohist

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
If they’re still trendy someone make an Indian Facebook friendship meme with Donald and Kim Jeong un how they’re no longer best friends tyvm

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Blue Star seems to have expanded since last time I was there and they still had good mack and good service. There's another great place nearby Sookmyung Women's Uni exit 3 (막걸리이야기, 서울특별시 용산구 남영동 9-1, next to the Paris Baguette ) which is quiet with decent jazzy music.

Korea is still cool and people are still obsessed with Mexican food.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
do goons ITT still work as English teachers or did everyone move on?

I'm looking for a new teaching job and considering one of the bigger cities in Korea (Seoul, Busan, Daegu). I'm qualified, have a degree and a little over a year of experience. If anyone works in a decent school that needs a teacher around September/October then I'm interested!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

do goons ITT still work as English teachers or did everyone move on?

I'm looking for a new teaching job and considering one of the bigger cities in Korea (Seoul, Busan, Daegu). I'm qualified, have a degree and a little over a year of experience. If anyone works in a decent school that needs a teacher around September/October then I'm interested!

My old boss asked me if I knew anyone looking for Sept start time.

It's a hagwon in Seoul.
Kindergarten in the mornings, 1st-6th hagwon Mon Wed Fri. It's near Dongdaemun on line 6.

I can get you in touch if you can tolerate hagwons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

AmbientParadox posted:

If they’re still trendy someone make an Indian Facebook friendship meme with Donald and Kim Jeong un how they’re no longer best friends tyvm

Just remembered that this needs to be updated because they are best friends again