Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You can use LaunchControl to have launchd set environment variables before it opens your login item.

You don't have to use LaunchControl but editing launchd config is a bit of a PITA, but this should help: https://serverfault.com/questions/111391/use-an-environment-variable-in-a-launchd-script

You just need to add an EnvironmentVariables key. Also, this will only work when launchd runs the app, not when you open it manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
So my podcasts app on my iPhone keeps unsubscribing from one specific podcast (NYtimes daily). I suspect it’s interacting with iTunes in some weird way (apparently your iTunes podcasts and podcasts in the app are two separate sets?)

Anyways every morning I hit subscribe and manually DL the podcast on my phone and the next morning I’m unsubscribed :confused:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Caganer posted:

So my podcasts app on my iPhone keeps unsubscribing from one specific podcast (NYtimes daily). I suspect it’s interacting with iTunes in some weird way (apparently your iTunes podcasts and podcasts in the app are two separate sets?)

Anyways every morning I hit subscribe and manually DL the podcast on my phone and the next morning I’m unsubscribed :confused:

This doesn't really solve the stated problem but can I suggest trying a different podcast app? The apple one is hot garbage (as is pretty much anything that involves or depends on iTunes). Overcast is what I use and am very happy with but PocketCasts and Castro are both also well regarded.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Lawen posted:

This doesn't really solve the stated problem but can I suggest trying a different podcast app? The apple one is hot garbage (as is pretty much anything that involves or depends on iTunes). Overcast is what I use and am very happy with but PocketCasts and Castro are both also well regarded.

this is really the best solution. but if you're committed to using the apple podcasts app you should probably try setting up the podcast in iTunes, it's probably trying to sync the podcasts between iTunes and the phone (and in apple parlance 'sync' pretty much means 'delete')

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Lawen posted:

Overcast is what I use and am very happy with but PocketCasts and Castro are both also well regarded.
Downcast for me. And essential on my iPhone.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Djimi posted:

Downcast for me. And essential on my iPhone.

I like Pocket Casts. Best web player, and it syncs cross-platform, which, since I bounce between Android and iOS on the regular, I like.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

smr posted:

I like Pocket Casts. Best web player, and it syncs cross-platform, which, since I bounce between Android and iOS on the regular, I like.

Does it sync though? I thought it would sync my played/unplayed but apparently not.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

insidius posted:

Does it sync though? I thought it would sync my played/unplayed but apparently not.

Yes? I hop between iOS and the web player on different machines all the time and it marks stuff played and remembers my place if I’m in the middle of something.

Are you signed in on both things?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

The Milkman posted:

Yes? I hop between iOS and the web player on different machines all the time and it marks stuff played and remembers my place if I’m in the middle of something.

Are you signed in on both things?

I was last time I looked but will have to take a look again, I did figure something was odd.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

insidius posted:

I believe it syncs, as in you can jump off from where you were. But if you're like me and manually mark something as played, it will not be marked as played on the web app. At least not since I last checked.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Nude posted:

I believe it syncs, as in you can jump off from where you were. But if you're like me and manually mark something as played, it will not be marked as played on the web app. At least not since I last checked.

Ah yeah this is what I was referring too. When I picked this up I thought it would be the answer to watching/marking as played across all my devices, sadly it seems not.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I know in Pocket Casts I was never able to sync a “Now Playing” list between devices. Very frustrating.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any good note taking software that'll let me use a big visual board for various notes, kinda like a cork board with notes pinned on it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any good note taking software that'll let me use a big visual board for various notes, kinda like a cork board with notes pinned on it?

Padlet is this exactly. Not really a "note taking" app, exactly though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sticky notes?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 14, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe Scapple by the same company that makes Scrivener?

I use it more as a Mind Map when brainstorming, but it might fit what you're looking for.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scapple/overview

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also looking for a piece of software. I have a few big HDDs with lots of files that I don't have backups for as it's not essential data. In Windows years ago, I used to have a good piece of indexing software I'd use on DVDRs that would log everything and then let me search/explore it when the volume wasn't mounted, similar to Explorer. Any equivalents on macOS? I could generate a text file using terminal and just dumping a recursive ls, but having something visual and looking like Finder would be preferable.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is there a good app for creating a checklist or task list of things to do for each day? I don’t really like any calendar apps I’ve used.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mahoning posted:

Is there a good app for creating a checklist or task list of things to do for each day? I don’t really like any calendar apps I’ve used.

Google Keep?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use Todoist. It's free and multi-platform! So it runs on my Mac, on Windows, on iOS... It does nag you to buy premium but I've managed to shut all of that off. I use it for to-do lists for work, my gf and I use it for grocery lists, 'restaurants to try', 'movies to see' lists...

It does encourage you to set deadlines and awards you 'points' for completing things on time, if that's what you want? But you can totally ignore that part of it if you want.

I enjoy Todoist. It is simple, free, shared (if you want) rich to-do lists. I like how you can create sub-tasks, which is useful for me at work where I juggle multiple projects, I can put them in priority order with sub-tasks for each, and really just use it as I see fit. If I need to get something done, I put something on my personal list with a deadline of today and Todoist displays a badge on all platforms pretty much nagging me to do my thing that's past due.

I like it. We probably abuse it. But yeah I recommend it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Mahoning posted:

The built in Reminder app is okay for basic stuff. I used Things in the past but now I mostly use Reminders and the Fantastical integration.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

I use it more as a Mind Map when brainstorming, but it might fit what you're looking for.

This is great, thanks

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Proteus Jones posted:

That's a great free trial policy. 30 days where you actually use the app instead of 30 days from when you first open it.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Mahoning posted:

There are lots of apps in this category, and which one works best tends to be a pretty personal thing. I wanted something with native apps on Mac, iPhone and iPad, recurring tasks, due dates, and reminders. Things has all of that and is easily the most polished and pleasant to use app in the category imo, so that's what I use.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I use OmniFocus which is probably overkill for most people and crazy expensive. But I got work to pay for both the iOS versions and the macOS version.

I don't usually recommend it unless someone is involved with multiple complicated projects at the same time. AnyList or ToDoist is my usual recommendation.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I work at a real estate brokerage where I do marketing for 40+ agents and the corporate end of things too. So I’m always juggling a ton of smaller projects and some things end up slipping through the cracks.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

does anyone else use transmission-remote-gui on osx? i have a transmission client running on a freenas box but the thing flat out does not work to manage it, at the very least since i upgraded to high sierra

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wrong thread.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’ve been using Things 3 on my iPhone and just download the macOS app to trial it. At the moment using it exclusively with iOS is fine but it would be really nice to have it on my computer as well, but I’m not sure if it’s $50 worth it.

Plus they apparently have a cloud backend so maybe they’ll come out with a web based app at some point, which would be better cause then I can use it on all my computers.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve been using Things 3 on my iPhone and just download the macOS app to trial it. At the moment using it exclusively with iOS is fine but it would be really nice to have it on my computer as well, but I’m not sure if it’s $50 worth it.

Plus they apparently have a cloud backend so maybe they’ll come out with a web based app at some point, which would be better cause then I can use it on all my computers.

I used it for a while and enjoyed it. I moved away from it because my wife and I wanted to have shared and separate reminders. Now we just use the standard Reminder.app and Fastmail for syncing them.

Is it worth $50? If you’re all in, absolutely. Good little app. I just found my needs changed and I only sometimes miss the extra power.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

So, I had an email open in Mail.app and told Siri to "remind me about this on Sunday afternoon."

Thanks, Siri!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

There are two problems in computer science, cache invalidation and nam{$string_interpolation}

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Pivo posted:

I use Todoist. It's free and multi-platform! So it runs on my Mac, on Windows, on iOS... It does nag you to buy premium but I've managed to shut all of that off. I use it for to-do lists for work, my gf and I use it for grocery lists, 'restaurants to try', 'movies to see' lists...

It does encourage you to set deadlines and awards you 'points' for completing things on time, if that's what you want? But you can totally ignore that part of it if you want.

I enjoy Todoist. It is simple, free, shared (if you want) rich to-do lists. I like how you can create sub-tasks, which is useful for me at work where I juggle multiple projects, I can put them in priority order with sub-tasks for each, and really just use it as I see fit. If I need to get something done, I put something on my personal list with a deadline of today and Todoist displays a badge on all platforms pretty much nagging me to do my thing that's past due.

I like it. We probably abuse it. But yeah I recommend it.

I do think Todoist is just about the perfect todo app BUUUUUUUT I really, really dislike that I can't change the color of the icon on iOS as it blends the notification badge into it pretty hard. It also doesn't let me specify to not show a notification badge until a given task's _time_ has arrived; any undone tasks due that day, even if they're due later in the day, count on the badge icon. 2Do, Good Tasks, and OmniFocus allow this (Things does not).

But yeah, I just deal with this and end up coming back to Todoist on the regular even though I try every freaking app that comes out in this category.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Things 3 is REALLY pretty but jesus christ the new task entry workflow is retarded. Click, click again to set a date, that close the input, re-open it to click to add a time... it's really overwrought. The app desperately needs Todoist-grade natural language input for new tasks (this, along with the extreme cross-platformedness, is Todoist's biggest strength. I can enter complex tasks in a blink).

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
I like WeDo. It's free, multi-platform, and includes some decent collaboration features between accounts, in case...

Dick Nipples posted:

my wife and I wanted to have shared and separate reminders.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I'm trying to play counterstrike on work macbook, but there's no simple way to disable mouse acceleration on OSX, is there? Googling, I find recommendations to download sketchy tools that I don't really want to download on a laptop used for work. Is this basically an impossible task?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
New Mac user checking in again. Two questions:

1. What is a nice, simple program, preferably free, that can edit videos? I took long videos with my iPhone (>30 min) and the Photos app crashes whenever I try to do something with it (including exporting to my external HD?) Specific things I want to do are trim parts of the video(cut parts out), rotate(vertical to horizontal, vice versa), and combine several files into one file (play as one long video).

2. How do you guys import iphone photo/videos onto the Mac? Photos? Back when I used windows I used to be able to import directly to my external harddrive, with files labeled with date picture was taken and into folders with those dates. (ie.img20180317001 into folder 2018-03-17). This is something I would like to continue doing. What is the best way to do this? I am also looking for a non-cloud option of doing this.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

nervana posted:

New Mac user checking in again. Two questions:

1. What is a nice, simple program, preferably free, that can edit videos? I took long videos with my iPhone (>30 min) and the Photos app crashes whenever I try to do something with it (including exporting to my external HD?) Specific things I want to do are trim parts of the video(cut parts out), rotate(vertical to horizontal, vice versa), and combine several files into one file (play as one long video).

2. How do you guys import iphone photo/videos onto the Mac? Photos? Back when I used windows I used to be able to import directly to my external harddrive, with files labeled with date picture was taken and into folders with those dates. (ie.img20180317001 into folder 2018-03-17). This is something I would like to continue doing. What is the best way to do this? I am also looking for a non-cloud option of doing this.

1. iMovie is good. Included with macOS on all new Macs.

2. Photos sure, or Image Capture (part of macOS. Launch/find it using Spotlight - hit cmd+space). Image Capture lets you browse/import from your iOS device as if it were camera. You can also just import content using iMovie.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AirDrop them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Image Capture is the correct answer to "import photos into a directory like my phone is a camera" although using Photos, Lightroom or Google Photos to import, organize and catalogue your photos is the 2018 thing to do.

I don't think "iMovie is good" is a true statement though. You can fight me about it at recess.