Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Did you have claims on the systems you occupied?

Also, did the systems that the fleets got stuck in have an active FTL inhibitor? Fleets that jump in a system with an inhibitor can only leave by jumping out unless the inhibitor gets taken care of.

Starting a new game is still the right call, no sense playing out a foregone conclusion if you're not enjoying it. And the only thing you can do to avoid the game running slow late game is to play a smaller galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Serious question: what purpose do claims actually serve, other than to waste influence?

Animosity casus belli -> conquer a bunch of systems -> status quo peace seems to work far better.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
...uh, you only get the systems with status quo if you've claimed them? The conquest casus belli is worse than the animosity one, sure, but you might not be able to rival someone and still want to take their stuff.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Staltran posted:

Did you have claims on the systems you occupied?

Also, did the systems that the fleets got stuck in have an active FTL inhibitor? Fleets that jump in a system with an inhibitor can only leave by jumping out unless the inhibitor gets taken care of.

Starting a new game is still the right call, no sense playing out a foregone conclusion if you're not enjoying it. And the only thing you can do to avoid the game running slow late game is to play a smaller galaxy.

I'm pretty sure I did, yeah, spent a bunch of time on it making sure it included enough goddamn planets to get the win. If you claim a system with an inhabited planet, do you have to occupy it with an army to keep it in a status quo?

Yeah in general I have really no mental model for how the hell FTL inhibitors work but if jumping in requires you jump out I guess that makes sense? Is there some guide on how they work somewhere because to me seems weirdly arbitrary whether you can go in or have to take another approach or just straight up have to jump.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

It can be rather fun to stack leader level caps, I'm not sure what the max is but I think it is 13 or 14 (+2 trait, +2 civic, +2 perk, +2 tradition, and maybe a tech?). You get -5 unrest, +5% edict duration, +3% unity per empire leader level.

It actually is really strong for hive minds, since you get the immortal racial leader along with being able to mod +2 levels, +50 lifespan, and +25% xp gain onto your race (with points to spare, and those traits are also like +20% research, +30% habilitability, +5% resource production), and constantly run another +25% xp gain from the food edict. Trucking around with your normal leaders at like level 8-10 is pretty great!

Also not bad for big slaver empires, like fanatic slaver+spiritualist. Having separate races working different stuff on your planets makes it easier to specialize your gene modding (so if you have grunt type A working mines you can mod that species, instead of trying to mod part of your species and shuffle them around), while more -unrest is sometimes handy.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

You left out that its only +1 unless the planet is like size 12 which makes it a lot less interesting imho.

+1 from 16-24
+2 from 13-15
+3 anything under

but yes it is not good

ZypherIM posted:

It can be rather fun to stack leader level caps, I'm not sure what the max is but I think it is 13 or 14 (+2 trait, +2 civic, +2 perk, +2 tradition, and maybe a tech?). You get -5 unrest, +5% edict duration, +3% unity per empire leader level.

It actually is really strong for hive minds, since you get the immortal racial leader along with being able to mod +2 levels, +50 lifespan, and +25% xp gain onto your race (with points to spare, and those traits are also like +20% research, +30% habilitability, +5% resource production), and constantly run another +25% xp gain from the food edict. Trucking around with your normal leaders at like level 8-10 is pretty great!

Also not bad for big slaver empires, like fanatic slaver+spiritualist. Having separate races working different stuff on your planets makes it easier to specialize your gene modding (so if you have grunt type A working mines you can mod that species, instead of trying to mod part of your species and shuffle them around), while more -unrest is sometimes handy.

Yeah pushing leader caps is great fun for the entire family if your race lives long enough to cap out. Especially for machine empires since they can make specific robot types that typically have spare trait points for the +2 cap mod

Sloober fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 14, 2018

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
drat some workshop mods are freakin nutso

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Phobeste posted:

I'm pretty sure I did, yeah, spent a bunch of time on it making sure it included enough goddamn planets to get the win. If you claim a system with an inhabited planet, do you have to occupy it with an army to keep it in a status quo?

Yes. If you haven't occupied every planet in the system, it reverts control back to the owner. You don't need to keep an army there, mind, you just need to win an invasion.

As for FTL inhibitors, if a system has one you can only leave via whatever hyperlane you entered from. If you Jump in, then you'll need to Jump back out... unless you capture the station and any planets in the system with inhibitors on them, anyway.

Also note that if the system has a Wormhole, you can exit through that whether you came in via Wormhole or not. The same goes for Gateways, but you'll need to have ownership of the Gateway.

Once the inhibitor technology is unlocked, all Starbases above outpost level will have an inhibitor, and any planet with a Stronghold will also have one. You'll need to capture the Starbase as well as the planet in order to break the inhibitor effect.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
efb

Phobeste posted:

Yeah in general I have really no mental model for how the hell FTL inhibitors work but if jumping in requires you jump out I guess that makes sense? Is there some guide on how they work somewhere because to me seems weirdly arbitrary whether you can go in or have to take another approach or just straight up have to jump.

Yes, you need to occupy all inhabited planets for a system to count as fully occupied. The occupation icon on the galaxy map changes slightly when a system is fully occupied, I think it gets lightning bolts or something.

You can only leave a system with a FTL inhibitor by the same hyperlane you came in. If you jumped in, then there's no such hyperlane, so you have to jump out, too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Serious question: what purpose do claims actually serve, other than to waste influence?

Animosity casus belli -> conquer a bunch of systems -> status quo peace seems to work far better.

To waste influence, or specifically to force you to spend influence to conquer things, influence is a limiter on how much you can conquer at once.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Oh so the inhibitors really take effect when you want to leave, not when you want to enter? That makes everything make a lot more sense, thanks.

Well good to know that about invading planets. Probably still gonna abandon that game though it is starting to chug like a motherfucker

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Not being able to rival pathetic people is seriously ruining my groove. No way to humiliate them to clear their claims to make them more open to becoming a vassal, or at least a loyal vassal in the next war to subjugate them.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

On a related note I’d love a diplomatic way to bully someone out of their federation even if it’s really hard. Of course as far as I can tell with stellaris the game is really different depending on your civ and the random events that happen so maybe there actually is and I’ve never seen it

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Here's one of my more favorite slaver setups for the current patch.

Divine Empire: Imperial Authority
Fanatic Authoritarian: +1 monthly influence, +10% slave production
Spiritualist: +10% monthly influence, -5% edict cost
Syncretic Evolution (secondary race)
Imperial Cult: +25% edict duration

This gives enough bonus to mineral production that you don't really need mining guilds or slaver guilds starting out, and later on either of those or philosopher king is a good side edict once you have a spare point (or if you want to move off of imperial cult). Imperial cult is nice early for map the stars duration, and then when you're moving into empire edicts it also shines.

Main species traits: Weak, Charismatic, Traditional, Quick Learners

I like quick learners a lot, weak doesn't come into play at all (only if you get invaded, your defense armies are based on the pop manning the building granting the defense army), charismatic helps with other empires (swap out if you don't care), and traditional is a nice boost (a larger % of your empire's unity gain will be based off of buildings being worked by population, compared to minerals/energy/science). It is also possible to grab Sedentary and drop one positive trait to afford any of the 2 cost traits. Decadent looks good on paper, but you need 1 slave for every 1 pop to not take the penalty, and that is way worse than paying a marginal energy fee when you resettle your guys.

Secondary species traits: Default. Seviles (+10% food/energy/happiness), strong, industrious, slow learners, fleeting.

Worst case scenario your starting mineral production is +52% (strong, industrial, servile, fanatic authoritarian, chattel slavery, governor), while if you roll high on leaders you can get up to 30% more (ruler trait, ruler agenda, governor slavery). The slave processing building is also pretty solid, production 2 food 2 mineral (so double dipping on adjacency bonus) along with another +10% production. If you go biological ascendancy you can add nerve staple (+10% food/mineral), robust (+5% resource production, 30% hab), and upgrade to very strong (+5% minerals) for +20% minerals. Later game with a level 5 +slavery governor you're at +110% (or +120% if you have the level 2 mineral refinery building) mineral production on your tiles.

I like taking charismatic so depending on the AIs that spawn I've got the choice of doing diplomacy stuff (+25 starting opinion is quite a lot) or just leveraging the massive mineral boost from mining planets into conquest, but it also allows you to pivot to most any strategy. The influence bonus allows faster early expansion, and the strong mining bonus makes you less dependent on good systems.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Has anyone else noticed this bug? Whenever I start a new game there's a random primitive civilization that I know of on the other side of the map.

I'm not using any mods.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I hadn't noticed it, but yea I've got that going on as well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Where the hell is it set that machines can't trade food? I'm trying to give my Machine Caretaker government (machine empire with citizen organic pops) the ability to trade food, so I can prop up failing vassals, but I cannot for the life of me find where this poo poo's defined.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GorfZaplen posted:

Has anyone else noticed this bug? Whenever I start a new game there's a random primitive civilization that I know of on the other side of the map.

I'm not using any mods.
What are we looking at here?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

A random primative civ in their contacts at the start of the game like they said.

I've noticed...a bug? Maybe. When you conquer planets from swarms their admin building vanishes. I guess it's because technically you're not allowed to have the same one but it's still a bit weird.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm, so I conquered a planet that some assholes had colonized with primitives on it. I'm not a fan of the assholes so I displaced them the gently caress off the planet, planning to uplift the primitives later and have them be in the empire instead.

But when the last rear end in a top hat left, the primitives disappeared with them, and the planet is now empty.

Which is weird, tbh.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

A primitive civilization being in their contacts at the start of the game... despite being on the opposite side of the galaxy. I've seen this bug before, too.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ZypherIM posted:

Decadent looks good on paper, but you need 1 slave for every 1 pop to not take the penalty, and that is way worse than paying a marginal energy fee when you resettle your guys.
Ah, but there's a hidden benefit - being decadent pushes your pops towards authoritarianism, which is helpful to fight the equality boost from the presence of slaves.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Taear posted:

A random primative civ in their contacts at the start of the game like they said.

I've noticed...a bug? Maybe. When you conquer planets from swarms their admin building vanishes. I guess it's because technically you're not allowed to have the same one but it's still a bit weird.
Ahh I missed his sentence above the image, somehow. Thanks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Either the game is a ton easier since 2 or I've got a lot better. I am playing on the same settings as I had previously but the ai seems a total pushover and can't control their territory.

Too many places having their planets rebel and having tiny armies.

Even late game I've had to abandon the game altogether because I got rolled by awakened empires or etc. Since 2.0 that's not the case. Can the ai just not quite handle the changes?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

EFFORTPOST INCOMING

A few people have asked about which ascension perks are best, and I'd like to start adding some basic game tips like this to the OP. Accordingly, I've put together some advice on the vanilla perks below. I'd prefer it to reflect the thread consensus rather than my own spergy views, so please give your opinion on why I'm wrong about One Vision or similar. When in doubt, I'll go with the majority view. I'll do the DLC perks at a later date.

VANILLA PERKS

Consecrated Worlds: Allows you enact the Consecrate World planetary edict, which gives a planet a buff of +5% happiness, +15% growth speed, and +15% unity and +25% spiritualist ethics attraction for 100 years, modified by your edicts duration modifier. It costs 300 influence, which is a bit steep for a non-permanent modifier. You could stack unity-producing buildings on your capital world and use this perk to maximise output if you really wanted to create a unity engine for something, or as an authoritarian create a breeding colony to populate new worlds, but otherwise Not Recommended.

Eternal Vigilance: +25% starbase damage, +25% defence platform damage, and +5 defence platforms. A great perk for defensively-focused empires, and would be amazing in the early game if it didn’t require two other perks to be picked first. Even still, this could help you fend off a technologically superior aggressor pre-Jump Drives. Situational.

Executive Vigour: +50% Edict Duration. Empire-wide edicts are really good, and this allows you to keep them up longer and correspondingly saves you loads of influence. Recommended.

Imperial Prerogative: +5 core systems. The Expansion tree gives you +2 core systems and you can pick up another +2 from relatively cheap tech. If you really want to manage more than 7 systems at once, just download a mod that removes the limit entirely. Not Recommended.

Interstellar Dominion: -20% starbase influence cost, -20% claim cost. A straightforward reduction in cost of your primary influence sinks, making it an excellent choice if influence is bottlenecking your expansion in the early game or your conquest later in the game. Given that you also want to be spending influence on edicts, unless you plan on staying very small, this is a great pick. Recommended.

Mastery of Nature: -33% cost of removing tile blockers and allows you to enact the Land Clearance edict, which adds 1-3 tiles to a planet at a cost of 500 energy and 100 influence. Previously the no-brainer first pick, 2.0 has given it new functionality and removed its former ability to give you all the tile removing technology at once. Now that tile removal only costs energy, which is relatively plentiful, the case for this pick has weakened further. Land Clearance is helpful if you have a bunch of smaller colonies, but at 100 influence per planet – equivalent to the cost of ten years of an edict – it’s a bit steep. Situational.

One Vision: +10% Unity and +50% Governing Ethics Attraction. A unity buff is always nice, but given that you want unity in order to get traditions and perks spending a perk on it is a bit odd. You have lots of tools to manage factions, and +50% attraction isn’t going to stop slaves inspiring Egalitarianism, whereas suppressing them might. Not Recommended.

Shared Destiny: -50% subject integration influence cost. If you’re expanding through vassalisation and integration exclusively, then this might be a good pick to cut your influence costs overall. However, if integration is something you’ll only do once or twice per game, then giving up a perk slot for this isn’t worth the cost. Situational.

Technological Ascendancy: +10% research speed. A spectacularly unspectacular pick, but one that’s useful regardless of your stage in the game and regardless of playstyle. While it’s no-regrets and essential for any research-focused build, it’s a little boring. Nonetheless, it’s Recommended.

Defender of the Galaxy: +50% damage to Crises and +20 opinion from everyone. Given that there’s a crisis in every game and you’re probably going to have to lead the fight against it, because heaven knows the AI will gently caress it up, this is a really handy pick to grab before it arrives. Of course, if you’re the type of hardcore player who has 200k fleetpower by 2250, then you probably don’t need it, but for the rest of us it’s Recommended.

Galactic Contender: +33% damage to Fallen and Awakened Empires. FEs and AEs are less dangerous than crises, but can still ruin your day if they’re provoked or awaken before you’re ready for them. This is useful for those situations where you’re nearly on a par with them but need an extra boost to assure victory. Accordingly, it is Situational.

Galactic Force Projection: +20 fleet command limit and +80 naval capacity. A nice early game buff for those with the mineral and energy output to support a bigger fleet – especially for empires that plan on being tall – but rapidly superseded by tech and anchorages past the early game. Fleet command limits cap out at 200, which can be reached by tech, rendering it even more irrelevant in the late game. Really Situational.

World Shaper: -25% terraforming costs and can make Gaia worlds. This would be a no-brainer pick for the -25% terraforming cost alone if it didn’t require Climate Restoration, which only pops up relatively late in the game. However, if you have both terraforming resources the cost of making a Gaia world comes down to around 6000 and the time to around 15 years, which given they give a 10% buff to everything starts making using this perk as an energy sink potentially worthwhile. It’s especially valuable for spiritual empires, who can use Gaia terraforming on a small planet and Hallow it to get a 10% unity buff (the same as One Vision), and for xenophiles who no longer have to worry about different habitability races migrating to the same planet. If you’re going the Evolutionary Mastery route, however, you’re better off genetically engineering everyone into compliance. Situational.
I just wanted to say that I appreciate this effortpost.

I am in 2335 and have been sitting on my 6th Ascension Perk for a while. I am a Fanatic Spiritualist Egalitarian with the Beacon of Liberty, Mining Guilds, and Meritocracy Civis and almost 200 pops of my primary species who are Industrious, Intelligent, and Traditional. I have Technological Ascendancy, One Vision, Mind Over Matter, Transcendence, and Imperial Prerogative perks already.
One Vision seemed good at the time because I was so heavily invested into Unity and I wanted Spirituality Ethics Attraction because I was accepting refugees and conquering other species so I could colonize more planet types.
I took Imperial Prerogative because I wanted more core planets because I have access to so many multi-planet systems and because I could see my power level creep up in big chunks as my existing planets matured and filled up.

I say all of this because I have been torn between doing:
~Consecrated Worlds because I am a Fanatic Spiritualist who has a capital planet with 153 Unity income and 17 other planets with 60+ Unity income so gradually Consecrating the best of those could be really profitable (it would cost 80% and last 125ish years).
~Master of Nature to unlock more pop slots on all these planets.
~Voidborne to start building Habitats in my colonized systems.
~something else but I'm not sure

edit: I am fine with spending the Influence on any of those things because I have 8+ monthly Influence income and all the import Edicts going already so spending influence to do any of those is essentially a non-issue. I also considered Executive Vigour then Consecrated Worlds but that seems overkill. Going Voidborne sounds nice because then I could go Ringworlds, I guess? I also considered the Galactic Defender but I figure I could do that later.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 15, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'd look at your influence usage to decide what you can afford. Habitats are strong if you're out of planets to nab and you've got minerals to spare, it is probably a bit late for mastery of nature, consecrated worlds is good but at 6 trees done chances are that last one isn't actually giving you that much. I'd actually suggest you take 'Defender of the Galaxy', because +50% dmg to endgame crisis is really good, especially when you're not used to them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

I'd look at your influence usage to decide what you can afford. Habitats are strong if you're out of planets to nab and you've got minerals to spare, it is probably a bit late for mastery of nature, consecrated worlds is good but at 6 trees done chances are that last one isn't actually giving you that much. I'd actually suggest you take 'Defender of the Galaxy', because +50% dmg to endgame crisis is really good, especially when you're not used to them.
Yeah I have 650ish Mineral income with Drone Optimizations going and two more planets (in one system) to colonize, but I have at least six planets right now that arent at max pop yet. But with Influence and Minerals to spare, Habitats may be the way to go, especially because that gates into other megastructures and leaves a slot for 'Defender of the Galaxy', like you said.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Hmm, so I conquered a planet that some assholes had colonized with primitives on it. I'm not a fan of the assholes so I displaced them the gently caress off the planet, planning to uplift the primitives later and have them be in the empire instead.

But when the last rear end in a top hat left, the primitives disappeared with them, and the planet is now empty.

Which is weird, tbh.

Uhhhhh, did you set a primitive policy that wasnt extermination before landing?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Man, people on the steam forums are still sobbing about 2.0.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Still annoyed/hateful about Wormholes. It's understandable.

I can't judge-I've been in hospital the past month with a laptop that couldn't run Stelllaris even if I wanted to put Steam on it(I don't, as Net access is not a certain measure in hospital.)

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 15, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bloodly posted:

Still annoyed/hateful about Wormholes. It's understandable.

I can't judge-I've been in hospital the past month with a laptop that couldn't run Stelllaris even if I wanted to put Steam on it(I don't, as Net access is not a certain measure in hospital.)

You should wait until you get a chance to try it. Wormholes in their current implication are pretty neat and A Big Deal when you can get ahold of one.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like rampant consumerism has created a situation where people define themselves by brands and media and you end up with situations where people care more about game patches and comic book plotlines than they do about real world issues. Maybe it's just nerds, I dunno.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Oblivious posted:

You should wait until you get a chance to try it. Wormholes in their current implication are pretty neat and A Big Deal when you can get ahold of one.

Wormholes are good and are excellent ways to bypass all those frustrating station buildings that block your transit through systems.

Also I'm too good at war, guys. Send help.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Not good enough, what are those isolated systems ruining your borders doing being unconquered?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Why is your food 0+0?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

crazypeltast52 posted:

Why is your food 0+0?

robot race probably

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

Why is your food 0+0?

Robots don't need food.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

Why is your food 0+0?

Being a homolog means you require nothing but fleshy pops to sustain you, but not in an evil way. Just a loving embrace. They're a power-bot, they dictate the speed and rhythm of the assimilation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vadoc posted:

Not good enough, what are those isolated systems ruining your borders doing being unconquered?

I ran out of soldiers, then some crazy robots showed up and a fallen empire of crab people murdered them. So I didn't want to murder them while those hell crabs were BFFs with everyone. But now that the alliance disbanded I'm going to eat them before I run out of resources. :shepface:

crazypeltast52 posted:

Why is your food 0+0?

Robots don't eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Encountered another weird bug today. I ran well over my fleet cap last night in preparation for an endgame crisis, but carefully ensured that I'd still have around +100 per month while maintaining Capacity Overload, Warring States, and Grand Fleet. Today I load the save, and find this:

That deficit, it turns out, is from Warring States and Grand Fleet not affecting my naval cap after reloading the save - you can see the math in that Naval Capacity breakdown not working at all. Capacity Overload might not be working either, I can't tell. Reloading any of the earlier saves results in the same issue of edicts not applying their bonuses to fleet cap. Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions on fixing it?