Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raptors will sit there and stare at you too, they get pissed at you for being on their turf and interrupting their hunt for lunch.

Usually accompanied by their version of yelling "gtfo" every few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Goddamn that is some majestic poo poo right there.

Farlm
Jan 8, 2018
A few pictures from a recent trip to Australia, where the wildlife, like the people, has no concept of fear

Australian Water Dragon (New South Wales, Australia) by Farley, on Flickr

Crimson Rosella (New South Wales, Australia) by Farley, on Flickr

Orange Threadtail Damselfly (Queensland, Australia) by Farley, on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I finally got the opportunity to visit the National Zoo.

Tiger by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Mongoose pile by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Gorilla Profile by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Panda 3 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
One of the local elk herds. Doesn't usually come up to my altitude, but there they were.

Three Bulls The Herd and Their Boat by B. B., on Flickr

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
did zoo, took usual photos

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Had some spare time on a university campus before a job interview.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Megabound posted:

Had some spare time on a university campus before a job interview.

this is uq lakes right?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

this is uq lakes right?

Sure is

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So my family likes to go on vacations every few years, and take lots of photos when we do. This is a first pass through the family archive for non-bird wildlife - most of these photos were taken by me or my father, I've labeled the subjects and locations as best I remember.

Bears - Alaska wildlife rehab center

Bear - Alaska wildlife rehab center

Orca - Alaska cruise

Sea otter - Alaska cruise

Seal? - California?

Deer - Rocky Mountains

Mountain goats - Waterton National Park

Elk - Grand Tetons National Park?

Bison - Yellowstone National Park

Alligator - Everglades National Park

Moose - Grand Tetons National Park

Chipmunk? - Grand Tetons National Park

This little guy was sitting on a prominent rock at a beautiful scenic overlook - very tame, probably used to being fed by people stopping at the overlook. I instead took a photo of this very cooperative subject.

Ground squirrels? - Yellowstone National Park

Deer - Yellowstone National Park

Mountain goat - Glacier National Park

Bighorn sheep - Yellowstone National Park

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Cythereal posted:

Chipmunk? - Grand Tetons National Park

This little guy was sitting on a prominent rock at a beautiful scenic overlook - very tame, probably used to being fed by people stopping at the overlook. I instead took a photo of this very cooperative subject.
This is probably a Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel. Much like yours, my GF and I met one on top of a mountain in Jasper NP a couple of years ago; it was fat and sassy and clearly used to hand-outs. We thought it was a chipmunk, too, but our guide book pointed out that very common mistake. Some of the photos that come up through a GIS are hilarious - obese squirrels galore.

You have some great pictures there, which ones are yours and which are your dad's? They're all pretty good, I'm just curious. I'm the only half-way serious photographer in my family.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 18, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ExecuDork posted:

This is probably a Golden-manteld Ground Squirrel. Much like yours, my GF and I met one on top of a mountain in Jasper NP a couple of years ago; it was fat and sassy and clearly used to hand-outs. We thought it was a chipmunk, too, but our guide book pointed out that very common mistake. Some of the photos that come up through a GIS are hilarious - obese squirrels galore.

You have some great pictures there, which ones are yours and which are your dad's? They're all pretty good, I'm just curious. I'm the only half-way serious photographer in my family.

IIRC, mine were that chipmunk/squirrel, the Yellowstone deer with its ears sticking up (we call it the llama deer photo), the moose in the water, the two ground squirrels, the goat sticking up out of the bushes, and maybe the bighorn sheep - I can't remember whether it was me or my dad who took that one. Everything that wasn't me from this set was my dad, I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was corrected on identifying those this past summer myself when touring through Yellowstone. A squirrel will have no stripes on its head, a chipmunk does.

:science:

edit - the dude that told me about them was awesome. He was in his 80's, had some ancient nikkon and he was machine gunning everything. told me about how his wife had died several years ago and when that happened he decided to pull up stakes and go see everything he could before he died too.. claimed to have never deleted a picture, at the rate he was going he must have a million-plus exposures stored somewhere.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 18, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fair enough. Where I'm from and live has neither chipmunks nor ground squirrels, so we were guessing.

I'll look through the other folders in the archive later. We saw drat near everything on the first Yellowstone trip except a lynx. Unfortunately, the best photo we got of the wolves we saw amounts to a series of dark smudges in the grass from a long distance away.

The moose in the water also has a bit of a funny story attached to it. We were hiking a trail in the Tetons when we rounded a bend in the trail and found a lake - with a moose in the water close to shore munching on plants in the lake. We immediately backed off and took a photo from a long distance, then cautiously came closer as we realized it didn't give a gently caress about us. We stayed firmly on the trail, though, and didn't try to approach the water.

Can't provide many details about the Alaska photos, I had to miss that trip unfortunately but the two bears in the first photo were apparently a mama bear tussling with a cub.

I did, however, check with my parents and there is one in that set that wasn't me or my dad - my mom took that photo of the mountain goat and its kid. That's a salt lick the mama goat is busy with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hah that reminds me about 80 year old dude again. When I called a squirrel a chipmunk and he corrected me, he asked where I lived and I said Illinois.

"Oh that explains why you don't know how to identify animals then."

Corncobbed.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Heh, nice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More from the family archive.

Gator - Everglades National Park

Baby gators - Everglades National Park

Elk? - Yellowstone National Park

Bison - Yellowstone National Park

Mountain goat - Grand Tetons National Park

Mountain goat - Grand Tetons National Park

Moose - Yellowstone National Park

Mountain goat - Waterton National Park

This is the baby from the previous Waterton photo where it was with its mother - they seemed to be licking the parking lot and cars at a trailhead for salt.

Same group as the other parking lot goats.

Just in case you thought I was joking.

Rodent - Yellowstone National Park

Pronghorn - Yellowstone National Park

Coyote - Yellowstone National Park

Marmot - Glacier National Park

I'm disappointed none of our pika photos turned out well. Those things drove us insane on the Yellowstone trip - a trail took us through a big talus slope where we stopped for lunch, and it took us forever to find the little critters making the boingy noises.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Canyon coyote silhouette-1949 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon coyote silhouette-1954 on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm getting 10 days in March between Tanzania and Kenya. Scrolling through this thread has basically cranked the hell out of my excitement.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Found some wild horses on Sunday:

DJExile posted:

I'm getting 10 days in March between Tanzania and Kenya. Scrolling through this thread has basically cranked the hell out of my excitement.
I loved it in Kenya so much my wife and I almost signed up for a similar trip again despite the fact we'd probably have to move into a cardboard box if we did. Enjoy your safari and post lots of pics.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The 4th pic is the most ‘live action Bojack Horseman’ picture ever.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Backyard Bobcat by Josh, on Flickr

Found this guy/gal sitting over its breakfast in my backyard this morning. Not pictured: A very dead squirrel.

edit: I wish that loving blackberry stem was not where it is.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 26, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Nice username/post content combo.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Had a great time at a plant nursery yesterday with this lil' jumping spider.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Got a lot of tiger cub pictures today. Here are some of my favorites:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Got a lot of tiger cub pictures today. Here are some of my favorites:

I particularly like these two.

Tilden Deer hasta luego-3364 on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Things you find while looking for owls:

Wow, intense! Love this shot.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Jealous of the porcupine encounter. It's a species I've fancied seeing since Jenaya Launstein got a photo of one in to the WPOTY.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

Jealous of the porcupine encounter. It's a species I've fancied seeing since Jenaya Launstein got a photo of one in to the WPOTY.
They're not that rare here, but finding one that isn't 100' up in a tree or covered in branches is next to impossible. I got pretty lucky with this one.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Porcupines are my "nemesis mammal" (like a nemesis bird- something by all rights you should have seen but for some reason haven't). The only one I've seen was in a tree next to the road in Yellowstone and I just got a quick look driving by at 25mph. It's an awesome shot. The moose is really nice too, although you might play with cropping a tiny bit to get rid of some of the snow on the right side of the frame?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've photographed moose, in the caravan park in Grand Nipple NP.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Derp by B. B., on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I said this out loud when I saw your picture, before I scrolled down far enough to see the name.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

I said this out loud when I saw your picture, before I scrolled down far enough to see the name.

It's kind of on the nose.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You are all set for the March contest.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Newt-4558 on Flickr

Wildcat Newt on the go-4569 on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That newt is cool and good

BRW40744 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW30232 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This seems as good a place as any to dump a bunch of poo poo I learned spending a week on safari in Tanzania between Arusha, Tarangiere National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, and Serengeti National Park. Here's some dumb gay advice from a bad photographer. Take it or leave it.

BODIES - If you have two, take two. If you have one, either buy or rent another. Partly because you really don't want to have your only body fail you while you're getting some once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, partly also because it's far easier to switch between two bodies that have a really long lens, and a relatively shorter zoom lens. Being dust/water sealed may as well be a requirement, same with stabilization.

LENSES - Boy I hope you've got reach. My main body (with a 2x crop) had a 300mm f/4 with a 1.4x teleconverter attached and this accounted for a good 85% of my shots. Animals like water buffalo, zebras and impalas don't mind hanging out near the roadways, but most of the predators are going to be up in trees or off at a distance and you'll need all the reach you can get. There are also some absolutely gorgeous birds that are relatively small (think finch/weaver sized) and even if they're close, they're very small and having plenty of reach to fill the frame will be really helpful.

My second body had a 40-150mm f/2.8 attached for relatively closer encounters, and being able to swap back and forth between the two quickly is a godsend. Plus it's been the rainy season out here and I'd rather not be swapping lenses even if I'm in a vehicle the whole time. East Africa is extremely humid as well, so all the fewer chances for water to invade, the better.

I did also keep a 25mm f/1.2 prime on hand if anything struck my fancy on the wider end, but I can think of maybe 10-12 pictures I ever used it for. That said, if you love landscape photos, I'd absolutely take something wide. The Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti lend themselves really well to wide, sweeping landscape shots.

BAG - I'd 100% recommend a shoulder/messenger bag over a backpack because you're going to spend 90% of your time with the bag in front of you in the vehicle, and having an open top bag to swap between bodies is far easier than it would be with most backpacks.

MEMORY - This is obviously going to depend on your specific body, but mine has 2 card slots and I set up to record to each simultaneously. Top card slot had really fast 32 or 64GB cards, bottom on each had a 256GB that would take any video recording and basically functioned as backup #1. Backup #2 was an external SSD that I copied the day's shots from the big card onto.

OTHER poo poo - Other things in the bag included a lens pen, rocket blower, plenty of extra batteries and cards, ear buds, and a USB battery for my cell phone. I'd also recommend some DEET, sunblock, painkillers, and some pepto bismol or other nausea medication as you are basically never on paved roads, and the dirt roads are extremely bumpy and can toss you around a bit. Having some cheap earbuds or headphones to help kill some of the driving (well, riding) time with some music isn't a bad idea either.

BACKUP ROUTINE - I have a Samsung Chromebook Plus that basically works as a conduit between a card reader and SSD. Both being USB-C means dumping card contents to the SSD runs relatively quickly. I took the chromebook over my main laptop because it's a ton lighter (there can be some very tight baggage restrictions I'll talk about later), and far more expendable than my Surface Book. Every night I'd dump the big card's shots from the day onto the SSD, then format the smaller cards. Online backup basically isn't going to happen. Internet access, if you can even get it at all, is largely satellite based and very slow. Some camps will also limit the bandwidth you can use to as little as 20MB per day.

LUGGAGE/CLOTHING - If your travel is going to include flying on smaller aircraft from location to location, you're going to be limited to about 35lbs (16 kg) of baggage per person grand total. This includes your camera gear, so plan accordingly. I took 3 pairs of hiking pants, and 3 of those button-up hiking/fishing shirts, along with sweat-wicking underwear and a couple under shirts. Camp suds are relatively cheap and let you do laundry in a sink easily. Those hiking shirts and pants dry out really fast so you can easily hang things up overnight and be good to go in the morning. I'd recommend a soft pair of hiking shoes or cross-trainers. you don't need anything too nuts since you're largely just in the vehicle, but some light/waterproof shoes can be helpful. A packable wide brimmed hat looks goofy but is really nice to help keep the sun off your face and neck.

If your air travel is just on major carriers, then you just have to deal with their likely less restrictive baggage rules.

GUIDE/DRIVER - Safaris are definitely not cheap, but if you're going to splurge anywhere on your trip, splurge here. Having a good guide is an absolute godsend and can make life a lot easier for you. They will know the park roads like the back of their hands and are usually in pretty constant radio contact with others about various game in the parks, so if you are particular about wanting to see and photograph specific animals, they'll know where to head. The vehicle of choice out here is a Toyota Landcruiser that usually has both USB and (usually) UK standard plugs to help you keep things charged.

STABILIZATION - I was worried about leaving my monopod at home but as luck would have it I never really found myself wanting it. Mostly because the interior of a Toyota Landcruiser doesn't allow for the space anyway, and you can rest your elbows on the window frame or roof pretty easily. I have seen other people recommend beanbags and the like as well, but didn't see any of those in use, so YMMV.

Anyway that's my dumb advice. I'll get some more photos up when I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Nice, just realized the post before that probably wasn't zoo

Maybe of interest here- I just put up my Tamron 150-600 gen 1 (Canon) in Buy/Sell.