Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just to be clear this is the actual vote on "let's exempt banks that make 500 or fewer loans a... year? from some provisions".

Which I'm still pretty sure I'm against but let's just make sure we're calling Dems a waste for the correct reason.

It's absolute poo poo and I made an effort post on it back in Trump thread III.

It's utter poo poo and anyone who says it's a good idea is lying to you. And I'm a filthy centrist who's involved in the industry, not an Occupy Wall Street type.

edit: occupy dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol this is about as trump as it gets.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.19ab58ff4839

quote:

President Trump boasted in a fundraising speech Wednesday that he made up facts in a meeting with the leader of a top U.S ally, saying he insisted to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the United States runs a trade deficit with its neighbor to the north without knowing whether or not that was the case.

“Trudeau came to see me. He’s a good guy. Justin. He said ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please’” Trump said, mimicking Trudeau, according to audio obtained by The Washington Post. “Nice guy, good looking guy, comes in – ‘Donald we have no trade deficit.’ He’s very proud because everybody else, you know, we’re getting killed. ...

“So he’s proud. I said, ‘Wrong Justin, you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said ‘You’re wrong.’ You know why? Because we’re so stupid. … And I thought they were smart. I said, ‘You’re wrong Justin.’ He said, ‘Nope we have no trade deficit.’ I said, ‘Well in that case I feel differently,’ I said ‘but I don’t believe it.’ I sent one of our guys out, his guy, my guy, they went out, I said ‘check because I can’t believe it.’

‘Well sir you’re actually right. We have no deficit but that doesn’t include energy and timber … And when you do we lose $17 billion a year.’ It’s incredible.”

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Uh

quote:

He also seemed to threaten to pull U.S. troops stationed in South Korea if he didn’t get what he wanted on trade with Seoul, an ally. He said the country had gotten rich but United States politicians never negotiated better deals. “We have a very big trade deficit with them, and we protect them,” Trump said. “We lose money on trade, and we lose money on the military. We have right now 32,000 soldiers between North and South Korea. Let’s see what happens.”
South Korea better hope KJU doesn't impress Trump in a couple months.

Also what the gently caress is this hahahah:

quote:

“It’s the bowling ball test. They take a bowling ball from 20 feet up in the air and drop it on the hood of the car,” Trump said of Japan. “If the hood dents, the car doesn’t qualify. It’s horrible,” he said. It was unclear what he was talking about.
Pretty sure he saw that on Letterman years ago and it just lodged in his brain to be used at a later date.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 15, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Donnie doesn't even know what dogs are so I don't know why he's doing this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rigel posted:

thats probably fine, because we have to keep in mind the purpose of the stress test. It is to make sure a bank can survive a very bad, unexpected, and unlikely series of various economic events if they were to occur so that the downfall of that one bank doesn't cripple the US financial system.

If you have less than $50B in assets, we'll be fine if you do something stupid and your little bank goes down in flames. If you are Bank of America, maybe not so much and we've got to keep a close eye on you.

NO

NO
NO
NO
NONONONONOONONONO

Christ.

The threshold was $50B. Which is reasonable. The problem is that threshold just got changed to $250B, which is very, very unreasonable.

250B is a ludicrously high barrier and exempts a ton of banks that would really, really surprise you.

The processing banks that process basically every transaction in the country? Exempt.

M&T bank? Exempt.

Sunturst? Exempt.

BB&T? Exempt.

HSBC?

Goldman loving Sachs?

In fact, here's a table showing every single bank that would be covered by the stress tests now. You don't see them here, they aren't covered.

pre:
+----------------------------------------------+------------+-----------------------+
| Bank Name                                    | Nat'l Rank | Consol Assets (Mil $) |
+----------------------------------------------+------------+-----------------------+
| JPMORGAN CHASE BK NA/JPMORGAN CHASE & CO     | 1          | 2,153,028             |
| WELLS FARGO BK NA/WELLS FARGO & CO           | 2          | 1,737,980             |
| BANK OF AMER NA/BANK OF AMER CORP            | 3          | 1,725,215             |
| CITIBANK NA/CITIGROUP                        | 4          | 1,407,297             |
| U S BK NA/U S BC                             | 5          | 452,252               |
| PNC BK NA/PNC FNCL SVC GROUP                 | 6          | 363,681               |
| CAPITAL ONE NA/CAPITAL ONE FC                | 7          | 290,965               |
| T D BK NA/TD GRP US HOLDS LLC                | 8          | 285,495               |
| BANK OF NY MELLON/BANK OF NY MELLON CORP     | 9          | 281,342               |
With the exception of 2008, banking crises are not caused by a single large firm failing but rather from tons of little shops going under. The stress testing requirements force these smaller banks to actually employ someone in their risk management department rather than just having their cousin vouch for people.

I reviewed these submissions back when I was a bank regulator and even the biggest bank's submissions were plagued with errors and laughable modeling.

This is a Big Deal and I'm so loving mad at my poo poo tier Senators for loving us in the rear end like this.

edit: updated with a table and with some bank names in my examples changed as they were above $250B.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 15, 2018

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Holy poo poo though that whole article is kind of terrifying.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

axeil posted:

NO

NO
NO
NO
NONONONONOONONONO

Christ.

250B is a ludicrously high barrier and exempts a ton of banks that would really, really surprise you.

The processing banks that process basically every transaction in the country? Exempt.

M&T bank? Exempt.

PNC? Exempt.

Capital One? Exempt.

With the exception of 2008, banking crises are not caused by a single large firm failing but rather from tons of little shops going under. The stress testing requirements force these smaller banks to actually employ someone in their risk management department rather than just having their cousin vouch for people.

I reviewed these submissions back when I was a bank regulator and even the biggest bank's submissions were plagued with errors and laughable modeling.

This is a Big Deal and I'm so loving mad at my poo poo tier Senators for loving us in the rear end like this.

So, what does an old gal making 40k/year have to do to jump in on this gravy train with a small home purchase? Go rate shopping at lovely local banks?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

It's absolute poo poo and I made an effort post on it back in Trump thread III.

It's utter poo poo and anyone who says it's a good idea is lying to you. And I'm a filthy centrist who's involved in the industry, not an Occupy Wall Street type.

edit: occupy dog tax

Relentlessboredom also made a good effortpost about this as well, if anyone cares.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

So, what does an old gal making 40k/year have to do to jump in on this gravy train with a small home purchase? Go rate shopping at lovely local banks?

I can't answer that question because the knowledge I would divulge by answering is covered by an NDA.

If anyone is trying to convince you this bill is good, just a reminder that this bill exempts Goldman loving Sachs from being forced to do stress tests.

edit: seriously, y'all know my reputation here. If I'm hopping mad about it, y'all should be carrying pitchforks.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 15, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

squirrelzipper posted:

Holy poo poo though that whole article is kind of terrifying.

My favorite part:

quote:

“It’s the bowling ball test. They take a bowling ball from 20 feet up in the air and drop it on the hood of the car,” Trump said of Japan. “If the hood dents, the car doesn’t qualify. It’s horrible,” he said. It was unclear what he was talking about.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hardly a surprise, but Trump has no idea what a trade deficit is and seems to have gotten it into his pudding-brain that a trade surplus = profit = winning and trade deficit = loss.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Bel Shazar posted:

That RealDoll company does some amazing work...

e: f,b

Kevin Uxbridge will be glad to hear you are a fan.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

its clear trump goes into those meetings without a loving idea what he's talking about and just wings it.

or he's making this up now.

or both wtf knows.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

its clear trump goes into those meetings without a loving idea what he's talking about and just wings it.

or he's making this up now.

or both wtf knows.

it's the third one given the quote where he admits to gaslighting Trudeau

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I can usually understand even the most broke-brained Trump poo poo, but I have no idea about the bowling ball thing. I assume it's a Toyota commercial from the 80's.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/7x75vg/the-most-prominent-hate-group-in-america-may-collapse-because-of-an-affair-vgtrn

Have we spoken yet that a white nationalist group fell apart because it's leader was LITERALLY CUCKED!!!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Covok posted:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/7x75vg/the-most-prominent-hate-group-in-america-may-collapse-because-of-an-affair-vgtrn

Have we spoken yet that a white nationalist group fell apart because it's leader was LITERALLY CUCKED!!!

You're alive! I haven't seen your posts in ages. Also that is hilarious.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

There Bias Two posted:

You're alive! I haven't seen your posts in ages. Also that is hilarious.

I was banned for a month and its tax season so I've been working 60-80hrs and being yelled at by clients for doing their taxes accurately.*

*if they owe and/or get back less this year.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nothus posted:

I can usually understand even the most broke-brained Trump poo poo, but I have no idea about the bowling ball thing. I assume it's a Toyota commercial from the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00NH07kuXEQ

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Nothus posted:

I actually think its referencing this
Like, he says a lot of stupid poo poo that makes no sense at all but I really think he had seen letterman do his bowling ball gags from years past and his brain is so fried that gently caress it, just claim Japan does it why not.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/timherrera/status/973985188249251846?s=21

Just a reminder that the government admits UFOs exist and they have no idea wtf they are but no one cares about it because our President is too busy talking about dropping bowling balls onto cars.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

axeil posted:

NO

NO
NO
NO
NONONONONOONONONO

Christ.

The threshold was $50B. Which is reasonable. The problem is that threshold just got changed to $250B, which is very, very unreasonable.

M&T bank? Exempt.

Sunturst? Exempt.

BB&T? Exempt.

HSBC?

Goldman loving Sachs?

In fact, here's a table showing every single bank that would be covered by the stress tests now. You don't see them here, they aren't covered.

pre:
| Bank Name                                    | Nat'l Rank | Consol Assets (Mil $) |
| JPMORGAN CHASE BK NA/JPMORGAN CHASE & CO     | 1          | 2,153,028             |
| WELLS FARGO BK NA/WELLS FARGO & CO           | 2          | 1,737,980             |
| BANK OF AMER NA/BANK OF AMER CORP            | 3          | 1,725,215             |
| CITIBANK NA/CITIGROUP                        | 4          | 1,407,297             |
| U S BK NA/U S BC                             | 5          | 452,252               |
| PNC BK NA/PNC FNCL SVC GROUP                 | 6          | 363,681               |
| CAPITAL ONE NA/CAPITAL ONE FC                | 7          | 290,965               |
| T D BK NA/TD GRP US HOLDS LLC                | 8          | 285,495               |
| BANK OF NY MELLON/BANK OF NY MELLON CORP     | 9          | 281,342               |

edit: updated with a table and with some bank names in my examples changed as they were above $250B.

I'm glad that centrist Democrats and Republicans were able to come together in bipartisanship to once more doom us to financial Armageddon. Well, better keep voting for centrists I guess.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Johnny Bravo posted:

Like, he says a lot of stupid poo poo that makes no sense at all but I really think he had seen letterman do his bowling ball gags from years past and his brain is so fried that gently caress it, just claim Japan does it why not.

He probably thought it was Japan because Rupert Jee is in the clip. Who of course isn't Japanese.

Trump was definitely more of a Leno guy tho, I bet

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

axeil posted:

NO

NO
NO
NO
NONONONONOONONONO

Christ.

I know that, you loving idiot, perhaps you should have presumed for a moment that I can read and checked what I was replying to first before going off. I was responding to him saying he wasn't even sure that he agreed with $50B.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Johnny Bravo posted:

She's attractive enough that of course his cottage cheese brain vomited it back up when he was bullshitting on the fly.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
For those who were wondering why so much hay was made out of yesterday's special election for an office which will no longer exist in nine months
https://twitter.com/jonathantamari/status/974062763818528770?s=21

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ballz posted:

Just a reminder that the government admits UFOs exist and they have no idea wtf they are but no one cares about it because our President is too busy talking about dropping bowling balls onto cars.

WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE ALIENS, HARRY!?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Covok posted:

I was banned for a month and its tax season so I've been working 60-80hrs and being yelled at by clients for doing their taxes accurately.*

*if they owe and/or get back less this year.

You'll be a freeper this time next year

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ballz posted:

Probably not worth thinking about because even if we do have evidence it'll never go public.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Slugworth posted:

My father fell and got a concussion. Doctor's asking him the date, where he's at, etc. Answers everything perfectly. Doctor asks who the current president is, and he has no clue.

So. Jealous.

My wife is a doctor, and it's usually the opposite. Her patients don't know what the year is but they know that the president is that orange rear end in a top hat.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

nine-gear crow posted:

I had to take my grandfather for cognitive tests back in 2009. Even in Canada they ask you who the US president is. He responded, lightning quick, "the black guy." The nurse just rolled her eyes and went "close enough," and marked it a pass.

What? Why wouldn’t they ask who the PM of Canada is.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Vladimir Putin posted:

What? Why wouldn’t they ask who the PM of Canada is.

the dreamy one with the hair

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

TOOT BOOT posted:

Probably not worth thinking about because even if we do have evidence it'll never go public.

Three US Navy videos have been released since December showing pilots interacting with them (and being utterly baffled at what they’re encountering).

But yes it’d be nice to know what became of the mystery alloys that were recovered.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is just zero constituency for financial deregulation... Other than bank lobbyists.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Also the Space UN was thinking about admitting humans/Earth to the Space UN but 2016-11-09 2:XXAM was a major point against us.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Ballz posted:

Three US Navy videos have been released since December showing pilots interacting with them (and being utterly baffled at what they’re encountering).

But yes it’d be nice to know what became of the mystery alloys that were recovered.

It would be some Twilight Zone poo poo if electing Trump doomed us to being a loner species in the universe forever.

Aliens come checking us out how that we are sending probes to Mars and connected the entire world with the internet.

Then they see us elect the orange rear end in a top hat and the world just goes along with it. They decide we aren’t ready for the galactic federation of free energy and limitless supplies. We kill our selves in 50 years before they test us again and never get to go Star Trek.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ballz posted:

I'm sure Boeing and Lockmart are using them to build classified poo poo

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ballz posted:

I can't believe that Tom Delonge (yes, of blink182 fame) is gonna be the guy who proves aliens exist.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/974005111264555008
2https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/974080796725215233
3https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/974048042075803648
4https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/974105249433735168
5https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/973976267451183125
6https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/974122827761750016
7https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/973295816738734081
8https://twitter.com/hadialbahra/status/974123476146671616
9https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/973934424386670593
10https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/974130682384568325
11https://twitter.com/jensmithWSJ/status/974089171693391872
12https://twitter.com/_Cooper/status/973901292430090241
13https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/974132522052476928
14https://twitter.com/owillis/status/974129508000333824
15https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/974120810012200960
16https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/973197335877611525
17https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/973334229798064133
18https://twitter.com/haymarketbooks/status/973927987295989760
19https://twitter.com/yashar/status/974127994917871622
20https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain/status/654714209360437249
21https://twitter.com/TheRickyDavila/status/974110628918030336
22https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/974125730752851968
23https://twitter.com/rortybomb/status/974108202504683522
24https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/974124152843128833
25https://twitter.com/axios/status/974124024329572354
26https://twitter.com/TimothyNoah1/status/974121292294230023
27https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/973986815920222220
28https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/974015556675391488
29https://twitter.com/JordanBrenner/status/973759881122631681
30https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/974110156333240320
31https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/973762918004162566
32https://twitter.com/smotus/status/973733699005988865
https://i.imgur.com/slJWAcA.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Koalas March posted:

I can't believe that Tom Delonge (yes, of blink182 fame) is gonna be the guy who proves aliens exist.
Well, it was him and John Podesta, and we all know what happened there.

• Locked thread