Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cavenagh posted:

But in general the best thing to begin doing is portion control when it comes to carbs.

This is the only answer. Better learn to enjoy veggies.

teh winnar! posted:

no raw/crunchy veggies (I won't eat it).

LOL. Yes, I just laughed out loud at you.

Ok, in an attempt to actually help you:
Roasted veggies are AWESOME. I grew up thinking that I hated brussel sprouts, but that was because my mom never roasted them. All you need is a sheet pan, parchment paper, some oil and some salt (spices and flavorings are totally optional, but a little acid helps most veggies). Since carbs are filling, and you'll be cutting back on carbs, you need add a lot more veggies to every meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

This is the only answer. Better learn to enjoy veggies.

LOL. Yes, I just laughed out loud at you.

Ok, in an attempt to actually help you:
Roasted veggies are AWESOME. I grew up thinking that I hated brussel sprouts, but that was because my mom never roasted them. All you need is a sheet pan, parchment paper, some oil and some salt (spices and flavorings are totally optional, but a little acid helps most veggies). Since carbs are filling, and you'll be cutting back on carbs, you need add a lot more veggies to every meal.

There's just something about the texture of raw/undercooked that triggers my gag reflex, regardless of flavor. I'm great with brussels sprouts, asparagus, or broccoli/cauliflowers when steamed, though, and those sorts of things are common side dishes in my cooking. So more of them then.

Cavenagh posted:

Ditch the Dreamfields. It's bullshit.

Well, poo poo. Are at least the whole wheat noodles I see around a decent improvement, or is that bullshit too?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

^^^^

Roasted veggies. Way better than you'd expect most of the time if you're like me and your mom only served either straight raw or massively boiled to mush vegetables.

Roasted cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots, asparagus and green beans are all super easy to prepare and are often quite cheap.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

teh winnar! posted:

Well, poo poo. Are at least the whole wheat noodles I see around a decent improvement, or is that bullshit too?
Whole wheat noodles may give you a bit more fiber than basic carbs but imho isn't worth the taste or price difference. If you want a bucket of noodle like objects get a spiralizer and some squash, WW won't be a magic bullet for type 2.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Barilla Plus has more protein so it improves the balance. But in general yeah, this isn't a "find substitutes and keep eating like we have been" thing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh, and the other cool thing about roasted veggies is that they reheat pretty well in the microwave. So you can roast a big batch, and just keep them around for snacks and lunches as such.

Giggity!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lightly pickling raw vegetables like cucumber and carrots helps a lot for people who don't want to eat / don't like raw veggies.

I make a cold salad with thinly sliced peeled cucumbers, shaved carrots and a bit of thinly sliced onion and then add in a bit of rice vinegar, salt and some Sambal olek and a dash of sesame oil and let that sit in a bag in the fridge for a few days then top with some sliced green onion. It's good with cold poached chicken breast etc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^drat that sounds really good

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Agreed!

Also, a friend of mine recently made some pickled kale stems, and they are super yummy. Not sure why I never thought of that!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I have a recipe for soda bread for St Patrick's day that uses a 9 inch cast iron skillet, but I only have 6 inch and 12 inch pans. How much should I reduce the recipe for the 6 inch pan?

The current recipe is:
1tbs butter
4.5 cups whole wheat flour
.5 cups currants
.5 cups raisins
1 tbs carraway seeds
1 ts baking soda
1 ts salt
2.5 cups buttermilk

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Thanks. I had some pickled cucumber and carrot shavings kinda salad once at a sushi place long ago and this was my best attempt to recreate / modify it a bit.

It's easy to make a big giant batch and it keeps well in the fridge due to the vinegar and salt as well. Usually is good to go after just letting it sit up for overnight but continues to develop over another day or two.

You can use sriracha if you don't have sambal, but that has sugar in it so I figured not as good to recommend for a diabetic diet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I have a recipe for soda bread for St Patrick's day that uses a 9 inch cast iron skillet, but I only have 6 inch and 12 inch pans. How much should I reduce the recipe for the 6 inch pan?

The current recipe is:
1tbs butter
.5 cups currants
.5 cups raisins
1 tbs carraway seeds
1 ts baking soda
1 ts salt
2.5 cups buttermilk

Quarter it. ymmv regarding how it turns out.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CannonFodder posted:

The current recipe is:
1tbs butter
.5 cups currants
.5 cups raisins
1 tbs carraway seeds
1 ts baking soda
1 ts salt
2.5 cups buttermilk

63ish vs 28ish square inches. Half recipe, and your bread will be 10% more.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Does anyone know what trimmed vs. untrimmed oxtail is like? Is it fat and/or silverskin that is cleaned from around the edges?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

teh winnar! posted:

There's just something about the texture of raw/undercooked that triggers my gag reflex, regardless of flavor.

I know that feeling. Its never been taste for me, minus a few specific things, I never bite into a veg and go "OH GOD THIS IS loving DISGUSTING" and spit it out. I'll sit, chew on it, munch it, grind it down to a lovely, wet paste then I start to swallow and my tongue will immediately shoot to the roof of my mouth, trapping the mush and only allowing whatever is on the sides of my tongue to go down my throat. It happens every time, and I start to get disgusted with the wet mush in my mouth that makes me spit it out.

The worst thing is people who opt to mock it instead of bothering to help, insisting you "just need to get over it". My veg intake is basically mushrooms, spinach and asparagus at this point.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

63ish vs 28ish square inches. Half recipe, and your bread will be 10% more.
Thanks, I'll go with this.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Leal posted:

I know that feeling. Its never been taste for me, minus a few specific things, I never bite into a veg and go "OH GOD THIS IS loving DISGUSTING" and spit it out. I'll sit, chew on it, munch it, grind it down to a lovely, wet paste then I start to swallow and my tongue will immediately shoot to the roof of my mouth, trapping the mush and only allowing whatever is on the sides of my tongue to go down my throat. It happens every time, and I start to get disgusted with the wet mush in my mouth that makes me spit it out.

This is me with carrots. Can't eat em. But that's about it, most other veggies I can eat now. Used to hate broccoli, turned out I just hated over-cooked broccoli.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I can't handle raw carrots at all. If they're shredded and mixed in with banh mi, okay, but I hate them in salads. I think I usually end up pushing them all aside, feeling embarrassed as an adult who has picked apart his salad, psyching myself up for the last carroty bite, then chewing and swallowing it as quickly as possible, usually with the aid of water or beer or something.

I remember reading somewhere that cooking carrots makes them more nutritionally available. Anyone know if that's true? If so, it's a good argument for my strategy of only ever roasting them.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

On a scale of 0 (water) to 10 (regular soft drinks, vodka), how bad is drink diet tonic water for my body? How much better/worse is it from store-bought Kombucha (Health-Ade).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

theHUNGERian posted:

On a scale of 0 (water) to 10 (regular soft drinks, vodka), how bad is drink diet tonic water for my body? How much better/worse is it from store-bought Kombucha (Health-Ade).

If the kombucha has sugar, it's prob just as bad as drinkin soda that a bunch of bacteria vomited up in. Diet tonic less so. You'll be super set for a malaria outbreak though.

Why not seltzer? That's prob the least unhealthy next to purified H2O.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Casu Marzu posted:

If the kombucha has sugar, it's prob just as bad as drinkin soda that a bunch of bacteria vomited up in. Diet tonic less so. You'll be super set for a malaria outbreak though.

Malaria is quinine resistant now so tonic isn’t gonna help

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

camoseven posted:

Malaria is quinine resistant now so tonic isn’t gonna help

Well, dang. Maybe if he drinks enough his pee will fluoresce under a black light at least.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Why not seltzer? That's prob the least unhealthy next to purified H2O.

The Kombucha I am hooked on has 4 g per serving, so it's not the end of the world, but it is more than diet Tonic. Seltzer lacks the bitter part I crave, both Kombucha and Tonic have it. Diet Tonic is dirt cheap, but I wasn't sure of all the acids that it contains.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Artificial sweeteners aren't the best for you and there is more acid in tonic and kombucha than seltzer does. If you don't care about the sugar content or concerns about artificial sweetener, the only other potential issue is the amount of acid in each. As long as you're still drinking regular water or brushing your teeth frequently, you shouldn't have any real issues unless your enamel sucks or you are prone to ulcers, I'd think.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Casu Marzu posted:

Well, dang. Maybe if he drinks enough his pee will fluoresce under a black light at least.

Can confirm this is not a thing. Drink tonic a lot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Artificial sweeteners aren't the best for you and there is more acid in tonic and kombucha than seltzer does. If you don't care about the sugar content or concerns about artificial sweetener, the only other potential issue is the amount of acid in each. As long as you're still drinking regular water or brushing your teeth frequently, you shouldn't have any real issues unless your enamel sucks or you are prone to ulcers, I'd think.

All those things bother me, but I don't know at what point I should scale things back. I drink 3-4 L of water each day and brush/floss religiously. I drink perhaps 200 mL of Tonic or ~400 mL of Kombuch at the end of the day, but not every day. I'm 5 ft 8", 157 lb, cook all my own food, and I exercise regularly if these things matter.

I'm probably fine and overthinking it.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

This sounds a little weird, but I put bitters (like for making mixed drinks with) in seltzer and it's great. Ended up with a set of a bunch of flavors (orange, rose, chocolate, etc) and tried it on a whim to use them up a little bit faster. Do recommend.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

sterster posted:

Can confirm this is not a thing. Drink tonic a lot.

But do you often pee under blacklights?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have just booked our first ever Summer holiday as a family, and one of the things that the place we’re staying in has is an electric grill on the patio. I’ve only ever used charcoal, how can I make an electric grill not suck?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 15, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Find out what model it is?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

legendof posted:

This sounds a little weird, but I put bitters (like for making mixed drinks with) in seltzer and it's great. Ended up with a set of a bunch of flavors (orange, rose, chocolate, etc) and tried it on a whim to use them up a little bit faster. Do recommend.

Can you link some 'bitters'?

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

theHUNGERian posted:

Can you link some 'bitters'?

Link goes to BevMo, but any well-stocked booze place should have them.

Bitters tend to be sold in very small bottles, and a little bit goes a long way.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Artificial sweeteners aren't the best for you

Source? They get a bad rap but I've never seen any hard evidence that they're anything but innocuous, and certainly better for you than the amount of sugar that would be present in otherwise normally-sweetened drinks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Looks like I'm wrong. I never really gave it too much of an investigation cuz I think artifical sweeteners taste like taint and I don't really drink sweetened drinks in the first place.

There have been quite a few news pieces about sugar substitutes and insulin resistance but actually reading into it now it seems like it's a big ole shrug from scientists and the media twisting inconclusive studies into more alarming headlines.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Source? They get a bad rap but I've never seen any hard evidence that they're anything but innocuous, and certainly better for you than the amount of sugar that would be present in otherwise normally-sweetened drinks.

I heard a scary report on them on NPR a few weeks back... some of them stick around in your body for a long time.

Also, it's in everything now. They tested the pee from a sample of volunteers, and among the people who said that they had NOT consumed any artificial sweetners, and 70% of them had them in their pee. Seriously, jarred marainara sauces use it now... I even found some in a container of seafood salad I bought I last week (in the surimi).

So, you are right, no hard evidence yet... but enough to make me concerned about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I heard a scary report on them on NPR a few weeks back... some of them stick around in your body for a long time.

Also, it's in everything now. They tested the pee from a sample of volunteers, and among the people who said that they had NOT consumed any artificial sweetners, and 70% of them had them in their pee.

70% of everything you drink probably comes out in your pee

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If I'm subbing cara cara oranges for clementines, do I need to add sugar, since clementines are sweeter? The recipe is very citrus heavy, like 3# worth of peel and juice completely used, so I figure the increased sweetness might make a difference.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried making a salad out of:

- Dandelion greens
- Sliced endive
- Red cabbage sliced thinly (or as thin as I could get it, which was fairly thick
- Leftover romaine lettuce
- Some carrots cut (peeled, really) into matchsticks

and some crappy leftover blue cheese dressing.

Yyyeah, I don't think I understood what I was doing. The matchstick'd carrots were pretty drat good, and the dandelion greens have a very...interesting bitter taste, but the rest wasn't very good - the endives barely stood out, the romaine was kinda blegh, the dressing was godawful, and I just wish I had braised the red cabbage into a stew instead. Mmm, stew.

In the future, I'll prolly restrict myself to three major ingredients and the carrot matchsticks, and actually make my own drat dressing. Plus, I got some reading and learning to do.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That's a really random salad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

That's a really random salad

Yeah. Plus a lot of bitter stuff. Might want to dilute the bitter greens with something mild.