Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

golden bubble posted:

For an author that clearly knows a thing or two about the French revolution, I'm surprised the author jumped from the Tennis Court Oath straight to citizen Louis' execution. That's a four year time-skip, a full election cycle. He skipped enough time for the French to create a constitution from nothing, declare it obsolete, and then create another entirely new constitution.

Seems reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

golden bubble posted:

For an author that clearly knows a thing or two about the French revolution, I'm surprised the author jumped from the Tennis Court Oath straight to citizen Louis' execution. That's a four year time-skip, a full election cycle. He skipped enough time for the French to create a constitution from nothing, declare it obsolete, and then create another entirely new constitution.

To be fair, the French revolution came on fast and hard for a long time.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I get that this is a manga about executioners, so it should rush to the Great Terror. But I think it would be less abrupt if there was a short montage of "poo poo got increasingly crazy, fast" covering the four year period. The current skip makes all the tennis court oath signatories look like regicides, but that's absolutely not what happened.

I guess what really gets me is that you didn't need to be a French Revolution nerd to understand and enjoy every other chapter of Innocent Rouge. But the most recently translated chapter is an abrupt and confusing mess unless you know enough about the Revolution to realize there was a four-year timeskip after the last chapter.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 26, 2018

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

golden bubble posted:

I mean I guess since this is the Sanson family story and more specifically, Marie's story now, the events themselves matter a little less but Zero being in the carriage was... it was weird. I have no idea where that story is going to go now, though I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Let me put in a brief shout out to the revolutions podcast in case people are interested in learning more about the French and other revolutions:
http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

He's currently finishing off the madness that was 1848 and then moving on to Mexico by way of the Paris Commune.

[edit] Talking about French executions, I find it interesting how the big device of the age was (most commonly rendered as) a "Madame".

Munin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 27, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Munin posted:

Let me put in a brief shout out to the revolutions podcast in case people are interested in learning more about the French and other revolutions:
http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

He's currently finishing off the madness that was 1848 and then moving on to Mexico by way of the Paris Commune.

[edit] Talking about French executions, I find it interesting how the big device of the age was (most commonly rendered as) a "Madame".

+1 for this podcast. I listened to his entire 'History of Rome' one and am just finishing up the Spanish American revolution now, finished the French Revolution last month. This is a really nice series. Lotta detail and just enough thought put into it to keep it from being too dry.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's a new series out called The Blue Eye of Horus.

https://mangadex.org/manga/20430

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Be warned: those chapters are not new. It's in Scanlation hell, no one has picked it up after... over a year, I think.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chapter 2 and 3 just were scanned AFAIK.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Violet_Sky posted:

Chapter 2 and 3 just were scanned AFAIK.

Huh.
:toot:

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Thermae Romae used to just have a few chapters scanlated for years, but now somebody did the all the remaining so if you have not read this series yet, now is a good time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They probably just scanned in the hardcovers already available in English if I had to guess

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Flaps send me this. A manga about a Samurai mercenary serving on the Thirty Years War

https://mangadex.org/chapter/150978/4

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That was a nice start. Major Europa Universalis flashbacks though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It rules that he's using a firearm, Japan at that point had some very sophisticated combined-arms tactics with firearms. Instead of swords and nothing but swords (which is an Edo anachronism, real soldiers use polearms).

I'm surprised he hadn't swapped out his armor though. Japanese armors from the late sengoku period still have a relatively high proportion of non-metal. It's hard to tell at a glance how much of Issak's armor is metal vs leather vs laquer. I guess he prefers how it moves, and probably hasn't had the money or opportunity to change.

Also, depending on Issak's age, he might be a veteran of the Imjin War. The artist is Korean, I'd be interested in seeing his take on it.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 10, 2018

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Edit: Turns out I was not just combining stuff in my head. It was called Green Blood. Literally just found it after posting the question! Sorry about that.

And yeah, I thought it was sort of cool Issak used a gun too. I think it's a bit different from what you may normally expect.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 10, 2018

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Flaps send me this. A manga about a Samurai mercenary serving on the Thirty Years War

https://mangadex.org/chapter/150978/4

Was surprised how brutal the battle got, with both sides losing lots of men in pretty gruesome ways. I guess when you have a 9000 man army you can afford that amount of casualties.

When the siege towers showed up I was trying and failing to figure out how the heck a guy with a sword would help turn the tides, so the reveal that he was actually a sniper was pretty awesome. I guess the girl will end up accompanying him as his spotter?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Saw this pop up on Mangadex earlier and I thought it seemed like it may be of interest to the thread, especially for those that follow the comic Historie. It's a biographical comic about Alexander the Great fittingly called Alexandros and it's actually translated by the same group that does Historie. It's a pretty straightforward recounting of his rise and fall, albeit one with an fairly interesting framing device in the form of narration provided by one of his former suboordinates during the end of the wars of the Diodachi. It's also sort of interesting to see the narrators opinions of Alexander develop over the course of the main story. I was also a fan of the art and, while it wasn't exactly going for realism, found it to be very expressive. It's a long read, relatively speaking, but is only one volume and is perfectly good for reading in chunks - which is what I did when I first read it. I thought it was solid when I first read it and upon looking through it again, feel it's still worth a read, especially since it is only one volume. I know it's not all that new, so I apologize if it was posted and I missed it when skimming this thread. A few samples pages from earlier on in the story:

As for Issak, I finally got around to reading thanks to some free time and I was a little disappointed with it. Though I definitely had some dorky gripes with it, the story itself just didn't hook me. I could see it going places, but after one issue I wasn't really invested in Issak's personal journey. I liked the concept though, have major academic/personal interests in the era and am a sucker for period pieces, especially action-y ones, so I'll give the second one a shot if it ever comes out (still wanna see what Spinola's fate is too, since the real one was still kicking until 1630. Besides, it's usually hard to judge something after only just one issue and this still left me interested. I will also add, though, that the art was quite nice, which others in this and the chat thread have said, and that it conveys both a good sense of scale, while still maintaining detail and clarity.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Phobophilia posted:

It rules that he's using a firearm, Japan at that point had some very sophisticated combined-arms tactics with firearms. Instead of swords and nothing but swords (which is an Edo anachronism, real soldiers use polearms).

I'm surprised he hadn't swapped out his armor though. Japanese armors from the late sengoku period still have a relatively high proportion of non-metal. It's hard to tell at a glance how much of Issak's armor is metal vs leather vs laquer. I guess he prefers how it moves, and probably hasn't had the money or opportunity to change.

Buff coats were real armor during the 30-years war, though they were typically limited to gunners and officers. Also, the quality of munitions plate declined during this period, with many mass produced armors downgrading from steel to iron. This was due to the needs of mass production. A munitions-tier breastplate would cost two months pay for a low level grunt during the 100-years war, but would probably be made of steel. A 30-years war munitions-tier breastplate would only cost one to two weeks pay for a low level grunt, but it is likely made of iron. That's not to say that European armor technology declined between the 1400s and the 1600s. Rather, the market just split into extremes, with expensive suits of armor becoming better and cheap armor becoming incredibly cheap. For the right price, greatest armor merchants could rush build thousands of pieces of munitions armor in under a week.

Also, the 30-years war is a time when you could always pull an army out of your arse if you had enough cash. Just look at Ernst von Mansfeld, and his ability to come back with army after army despite losing practically every field battle he took part in during the war.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Here's a new Otoyomegatari, featuring the return of a character we all thought would happen but probably not out of nowhere: https://mangadex.org/chapter/165583/1

I feel like gushing about the art gets old, but I still just can't get enough of the expressions and body language. At first glance, I thought Ali showing his teeth when Smith leaves the room was an overt sneer, but then I noticed how he was working his jaw in the previous panel. Guy just can't be bothered to stop snacking.
Cute how Smith is down to die for sketches of dirt but gets emotionally overwhelmed by mushy stuff, when for everyone else it's just sort of business as usual and they're actually surprised at his reaction. :3:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
This chapter is peak :3:

Just what I needed for a break.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Let's all give our props to Mr. Mustache for this happy event

e: I'm actually a bit weepy about this gently caress

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Yeah. It should never be lost that this guy is a very good person and I wish more people IRL were like him.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Rodyle posted:

Let's all give our props to Mr. Mustache for this happy event

e: I'm actually a bit weepy about this gently caress

Good God I just read the chapter, what are these tear ducts coming out of my eye sockets

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah. It should never be lost that this guy is a very good person and I wish more people IRL were like him.

yeah no for real this dude is the fuckin Grand Champion

and of course, let's not knock Talisa herself who is clearly one hell of a trooper

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I thought she married that much older rear end in a top hat a while back, that's why she didn't go with Smith originally. Am I remembering wrong? Did he die and I missed it?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Galvanik posted:

I thought she married that much older rear end in a top hat a while back, that's why she didn't go with Smith originally. Am I remembering wrong? Did he die and I missed it?

Her mother in law married that guy, if I remember right. He wanted to marry her but she kept refusing, but once he married her mother in law he had the right to marry her off then.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Galvanik posted:

iirc, that was her uncle or one of her inlaws or something, who was planning to marry her off but not necessarily to himself

Edit: ^^^that's right, I forgot. he was gonna marry her but her mother in law took the bullet instead

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 14, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Everyone in this chapter owns, I hope Moustache finds a good lady to marry.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Mustache Man is keeping it real.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
An extremely powerful mustache.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

whoops

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Fire Barrel posted:

Saw this pop up on Mangadex earlier and I thought it seemed like it may be of interest to the thread, especially for those that follow the comic Historie. It's a biographical comic about Alexander the Great fittingly called Alexandros and it's actually translated by the same group that does Historie. It's a pretty straightforward recounting of his rise and fall, albeit one with an fairly interesting framing device in the form of narration provided by one of his former suboordinates during the end of the wars of the Diodachi. It's also sort of interesting to see the narrators opinions of Alexander develop over the course of the main story. I was also a fan of the art and, while it wasn't exactly going for realism, found it to be very expressive. It's a long read, relatively speaking, but is only one volume and is perfectly good for reading in chunks - which is what I did when I first read it. I thought it was solid when I first read it and upon looking through it again, feel it's still worth a read, especially since it is only one volume. I know it's not all that new, so I apologize if it was posted and I missed it when skimming this thread. A few samples pages from earlier on in the story:

As for Issak, I finally got around to reading thanks to some free time and I was a little disappointed with it. Though I definitely had some dorky gripes with it, the story itself just didn't hook me. I could see it going places, but after one issue I wasn't really invested in Issak's personal journey. I liked the concept though, have major academic/personal interests in the era and am a sucker for period pieces, especially action-y ones, so I'll give the second one a shot if it ever comes out (still wanna see what Spinola's fate is too, since the real one was still kicking until 1630. Besides, it's usually hard to judge something after only just one issue and this still left me interested. I will also add, though, that the art was quite nice, which others in this and the chat thread have said, and that it conveys both a good sense of scale, while still maintaining detail and clarity.

This is really good and I teared up a lil at the ending, would recommend

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
The next Otoyome is another Nat Geo short, so we'll have to wait a few months to see how the Smith situation plays out. Mori! :argh:

On the plus side, there is a very special day for a special girl!!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

The next Otoyome is another Nat Geo short, so we'll have to wait a few months to see how the Smith situation plays out.

No, it says the next one is in April.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Rodyle posted:

No, it says the next one is in April.

yeah but if history's any judge it'll take me another month to get around to it :suicide:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
A great chapter, best read in David Attenborough's voice. :3:

But, the best news of all - MORE SHIRLEY!!
I've missed Shirley so much.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

The next Otoyome is another Nat Geo short, so we'll have to wait a few months to see how the Smith situation plays out. Mori! :argh:

On the plus side, there is a very special day for a special girl!!

It's a short but I'd rate these vignettes miles above a full chapter of nearly any other manga personally.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So Vinland Saga is apparently being animated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So Vinland Saga is apparently being animated?

By Wit, yes.

They're good at animating things.