Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

The leaves and stems are cilantro, the seeds are coriander. It’s really quite simple.

The whole plant is coriander. The leaves and stems of the plant are also coriander. It's even simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Pineapple pizza

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

funmanguy posted:

Pineapple pizza

Chaotic neutral.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Chaotic neutral.

Is Pepperoni lawful good? And what's All Dressed?

We need to make an unfunny meme here.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

thefakenews posted:

The whole plant is coriander. The leaves and stems of the plant are also coriander. It's even simpler.
Coriander and cilantro are for different purposes; coriander goes in food, and cilantro goes in the garbage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I have this weird blind spot where I can never remember which is coriander and which is oregano. Every bolognese starts with me huffing back and forth between the tomatoes and my herb jars until I work out which one smells right.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Is Pepperoni lawful good?
More like lawfully good, amirite?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought Beyond The Wall and Fragged Empire from Drive Thru, and also got the free version of Stars Without Number.

Playing 5e every week or two is getting to me.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I bought Beyond The Wall and Fragged Empire from Drive Thru, and also got the free version of Stars Without Number.

Playing 5e every week or two is getting to me.

Beyond the Wall is great. I hacked it together with some bits inspired by The Black Hack to make a purely player-facing, always-roll-under version that works really well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I am a little bitter over how The Black Hack gets ... hacked into the drossest of shovelware genres, but I do have to admit that the base mechanic is very well-designed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Speaking of, are there any decent podcasts that do reviews of contemporary RPGs, and/or ones that go through how to play? I've been listening to System Mastery which is good but would like something for modern stuff.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I am a little bitter over how The Black Hack gets ... hacked into the drossest of shovelware genres, but I do have to admit that the base mechanic is very well-designed.

It's kind of like the OSR's Apocalypse World in some ways--a very tightly designed game that people can recognize as being good, but can't always understand why it's good and so just kind of slap its basic ideas onto a new genre because it's easy to do, not because it actually suits the game.

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

I am super into the RAD-HACK, though.

Want to run a Metamorphosis Alpha Epsilon City game with it. Metamorphosis Alpha, while simple, is a pretty bad system.

I guess I could do Mutant Future, too. But RAD-HACK + some of the new MA supplementary material sounds pretty easy

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I am finally breaking out of the D&D/Pathfinder ghetto, in that I turned two of my gaming groups on to trying other systems.

And both of them all want to do Savage Worlds now, Deadlands specifically among the list of other choices provided (Godbound, FATE, Eclipse Phase, etc).

I am happy to be breaking out, and they managed to adapt to the rules well. The only major problem is that when playing on Roll20 it is a very macro-heavy game due to the use of Wild Dice and exploding rolls (roll an additional die if you roll the max result).

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of, are there any decent podcasts that do reviews of contemporary RPGs, and/or ones that go through how to play? I've been listening to System Mastery which is good but would like something for modern stuff.

I enjoy The Gauntlet and any of its side podcasts. They review a bunch of games from OSR stuff to modern games, and on top of that they offer some creative GM advice.

Of podcasts from the same network, I particularly like Discern Realities (a Dungeon World discussion podcast) and Fear of a Black Dragon (a podcast that recommends neat ways to adapt OSR modules to more recent storygame systems).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Simian_Prime posted:

I enjoy The Gauntlet and any of its side podcasts. They review a bunch of games from OSR stuff to modern games, and on top of that they offer some creative GM advice.

Of podcasts from the same network, I particularly like Discern Realities (a Dungeon World discussion podcast) and Fear of a Black Dragon (a podcast that recommends neat ways to adapt OSR modules to more recent storygame systems).

I looked The Gauntlet up on Podcast Addict; I found it but the first 31 episodes aren't in the list. This isn't the first Podcast I've seen this happen to, where other episodes are spread out in other categories. Is this a problem with a lovely app or just podcasts being weird?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I think it might be due to service limitations? System Mastery directly has the same issue because of patreon limits.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I looked The Gauntlet up on Podcast Addict; I found it but the first 31 episodes aren't in the list. This isn't the first Podcast I've seen this happen to, where other episodes are spread out in other categories. Is this a problem with a lovely app or just podcasts being weird?

Podcasts being weird, likely. The default for a lot of podcast setups is to only show the most recent X amount of episodes. With the Gauntlet, though, you really don't need to start early - just pick one of the recent episodes that has a topic or guests you're interested in, and see how you like it. It's series like Pocket Sized Play where it's important to listen in order.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's RSS feed limits. I have yet to find one that'll hold more than the most recent 150 items. If you ever wonder why old episodes end up paywalled, it's because hosting them in a timely and accessible fashion is a real pain in the rear end.

Personally we just save the old mp3s and post them to the site, but monetizing is a fair option because it is extra work.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I wonder if it would be worth it for any podcast to just bundle up old episodes in " season" torrents or something to make it easier for new listeners to get the whole archive when catching up. Well not torrents since afaik that's not phone friendly but still.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: nm, dumb question

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 18, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hel posted:

I wonder if it would be worth it for any podcast to just bundle up old episodes in " season" torrents or something to make it easier for new listeners to get the whole archive when catching up. Well not torrents since afaik that's not phone friendly but still.
We Hate Movies hosts their back catalog on a Google Drive folder, and make it private to people who support their patreon at a certain level (which also gets new exclusive content, which is nice).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hel posted:

Unless a show is serial in nature, I think most podcasts would prefer their early episodes died in a mysterious electrical fire. I know I wish ours would. We were all formal and grumpy, they're terrible. I always tell new listeners to work through our stuff backwards. We get the occasional new listener that's commenting on like Episode 1 and is all "guys, this show sucks" and yeah, it did! Listen to the poo poo we made 5 years later when we figured our game out.

Honestly the problem is that the only thing that's phone friendly is RSS feeds and the only way to do that would be to create new ones, which would be confusing to listeners and tricky to podcasters. Like I could see the obvious workaround being "We hit 150, silo this RSS off and start a new one" but that will kill the listener pool, since casual listeners don't want to figure out your new feed, they're just gonna forget they were subbed and think you quit.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 18, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Haven, City of Violence is still a perennial favorite for me. And given how Louis Porter Jr. is still making low-rent tabletop stuff like shovelware for Pathfinder, I'd be interested to see you guys have a laugh over his newer projects.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

theironjef posted:

Unless a show is serial in nature, I think most podcasts would prefer their early episodes died in a mysterious electrical fire. I know I wish ours would. We were all formal and grumpy, they're terrible. I always tell new listeners to work through our stuff backwards. We get the occasional new listener that's commenting on like Episode 1 and is all "guys, this show sucks" and yeah, it did! Listen to the poo poo we made 5 years later when we figured our game out.

The thing that put me off listening was how you guys missed every icky bit of Cthulhutech and called it "surprisingly playable"

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 18, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you remove the stupid stuff it might be a decent game yes. That's true of a lot of games.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Even if you removed all the rapey lore and revised it into a playable setting that isn't all "lol you're hosed no matter what, enjoy giving birth to Satan Bambi!" You'd still have a game that presents about six different character options that all progressively overpower the other ones and shouldn't be mixed at all, two mathematically broken magic systems, and the baseline dice system is both swingy and has really weird critical/fumble rules.

e- Basically, if I wanted all of that I could just kludge mecha into D&D and beat up mythos poo poo there

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 18, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's a matter of opinion whether the system is good or bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plutonis posted:

That's a matter of opinion whether the system is good or bad.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The base dice mechanic in and of itself is pretty awful. The idea of having dice poker be your resolution mechanic isn't necessarily a bad idea, but you'd have to have designers that actually understand the odds involved, and there's just no evidence that they did. The odds chart for a resolution mechanic should probably not look like a seismograph.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If I recall correctly, CTech's dice system is one of those where the higher your character's dice pool is the greater your chances of critical failure is.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kai Tave posted:

If I recall correctly, CTech's dice system is one of those where the higher your character's dice pool is the greater your chances of critical failure is.
It's also got the fun of listing critical fail-fail-success-crit success as a continuum, yet having independent ways to determine crit success & failure. So any given roll could be both a critical success and a critical failure, which wouldn't be that big of an issue (it could at least be built around) if they weren't so big on making them "you fail, also poo poo is hosed" and "you are successful and get a bonus good thing".

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

It's worse than that because it spikes up and down depending on how many dice you have in your pool

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yawgmoth posted:

It's also got the fun of listing critical fail-fail-success-crit success as a continuum, yet having independent ways to determine crit success & failure. So any given roll could be both a critical success and a critical failure, which wouldn't be that big of an issue (it could at least be built around) if they weren't so big on making them "you fail, also poo poo is hosed" and "you are successful and get a bonus good thing".

Oh right, I forget about that. I mean yeah, you can have games with multiple axes of success/failure within a single roll, the FFG funny dice RPGs aim in that direction, but with Cthulhutech it's clearly not an intended consequence.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CTech V1's designers were basically clueless because not only did their system have the insane mess of poker dice and targets that almost required you to get some funny set with those dice, but it also had two independent variables for difficulty instead of just one. Some things would fool around with your dice pool...while others might apply a flat modifier to your result. Somewhere Greg Stolze is shaking his head in shame.

V2's designers were less credulous in that respect, since while they kept the dumb poker dice mechanic they forced all unopposed targets to be 13 and stripped anything that applies flat modifiers. The system was otherwise kinda rough as befits a beta, but didn't have any obvious mechanical flaws like V1 did. (It really helped for them to focus on one subset of play for testing, so in the case of the beta all PCs are Tagers.) And the setting also seemed less dumb when I last read through it, though (likely for insipid legacy reasons) they still kept a mention of the Rapine Storm.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I just don't understand why you'd have a poker dice mechanic and not have the hand type be the actual result. It'd be faster, more intuitive, and the odds would be so much clearer.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
FOR THE EMPEROR

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My campaign that I envisioned as some kind of horror themed war against the undead is kind of turning into a road trip across D&D land. The party's hung out with orcs, dwarves and elves so far, and now they're gonna go see the eladrin.

DMing is weird.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

It's well and truly amazing just how unimaginative that loving game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

They didn't even try to do anything interesting with it. gently caress