Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

this is great

https://twitter.com/FightAltright/status/781916889567985664

https://twitter.com/pepe_neo/status/782093761358794752

https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/783156384422506497?s=20

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I can't wait to hear how social media is harassing Crowder just for a little joke and it's social justice liberal snowflake oppression.

I know, right? What's next the n-word? Not the n-word, the "n-word". We won't even be able to refer to it we'll just have to call it "the word that shall not be named". Meanwhile it's all over the rap videos! THE RAPS VIDEO!!!!!!

STAC Goat posted:

The Rich story was REALLY bad. As I remember it they flat out made up things said by invesitigators, police, and even family members. I dont know if its enough to win a case but it was enough to freak out Fox News, cost them advertisers, and see Sean Hannity get humbled on tv.

I sure hope the family gets a little revenge/justice here. That wasn't a reporter making a mistake. That was Fox News making up facts out of thin air to construct a conspiracy theory for their agenda. It was gross.

The investigator that told the story to Fox said he was hired by the parents. He was not. He never even talked to them. He also fabricated evidence "shown to him by the police". The police denied ever showing him anything at all.

The entire thing was a complete scam.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

I know, right? What's next the n-word? Not the n-word, the "n-word". We won't even be able to refer to it we'll just have to call it "the word that shall not be named". Meanwhile it's all over the rap videos! THE RAPS VIDEO!!!!!!

oh you must have missed CPAC where he said "knickers" as a joke

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

oh you must have missed CPAC where he said "knickers" as a joke

lol, niggardly, amirite?

I loving hate these people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Let me guess, Ayaan Hirsi Ali is an islamophobe too.

I mean, she absolutely positively was, albeit understandably.

She's taken a more productive turn recently and that makes me happy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Facebook deleted Britain First's page, as well as their leaders. Not a great day for right wing social media!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

aware of dog posted:

He's been ranted about this same thing on twitter recently too
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/972688284567482368?s=21

But I was told home ownership is an investment in my future!

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

BarbarianElephant posted:

The problem is, they *aren't*. So the Republican party is becoming packed with quasi-fascists and assorted nutcases, while the sane pro-business guys join the Democratic party. This is currently really annoying all the leftists who feel that the Democratic party is swinging to the right and cares more about Silicon Valley than the ordinary person. This is how the Overton window works.

I know what they’re currently doing. What I’m saying is that it’s not working. This is why they just lost a R+20 district. It’s not getting better. They will radicalize themselves out of existence or eventually read the tea leaves and tack left. The Overton Window is shifting left, Republicans just don’t see it yet. Who thinks the Democrats are shifting right? Just lol. Bernie loving Sanders just sniffed the nomination and actual DSA members have won state Office.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Turning Point USA is right the gently caress on, but they had bad intel as to which direction we were already heading as a country.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

lol, niggardly, amirite?

I loving hate these people.

Oh my God, when I first started posting many moons ago (in gbs, I think) people would say this to me, like it was some own.

Naw man, you're just showing your rear end. 😂😂

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

bird food bathtub posted:

In a sane world...

Stopped reading right there.

also, "How dare you n-words lay claim to that word we used to degrade you for centuries?!"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Nathan Robinson is back to what he does best: publicly assassinating pseudointellectual right-wing hacks via essay.

This week’s target is Jordan Peterson. :getin:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

BarbarianElephant posted:

The problem is, they *aren't*. So the Republican party is becoming packed with quasi-fascists and assorted nutcases, while the sane pro-business guys join the Democratic party. This is currently really annoying all the leftists who feel that the Democratic party is swinging to the right and cares more about Silicon Valley than the ordinary person. This is how the Overton window works.
Yeah, one of the big problems with our country is essentially that the Democratic party contains what would be the entire government in a sane country.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, one of the big problems with our country is essentially that the Democratic party contains what would be the entire government in a sane country.

This is mostly a symptom tho.

The actual big problem is that the American government is mostly built on legal architecture written decades to centuries ago to protect the power of white landowning men, and we haven’t reckoned with that as a country.

There’s a reason that the more and more the problems become apparent, the more and more conservatives and liberals enshrine the sacredness of the Constitution as sacrosanct. Hell, the fact that, that’s a capitalized word is emblematic of the problem.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

This is mostly a symptom tho.

The actual big problem is that the American government is mostly built on legal architecture written decades to centuries ago to protect the power of white landowning men, and we haven’t reckoned with that as a country.

Ours was too, and our government is only 10-15% as insane as yours.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lightning Knight posted:

There’s a reason that the more and more the problems become apparent, the more and more conservatives and liberals enshrine the sacredness of the Constitution as sacrosanct. Hell, the fact that, that’s a capitalized word is emblematic of the problem.

Well duh, that's its title.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Lone Badger posted:

Ours was too, and our government is only 10-15% as insane as yours.

Which one is that?

Star Man posted:

Well duh, that's its title.

lol

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yes, I'm aware that writers will capitalize nouns to illustrate importance of their movement or people or decapitalize them in order to diminish or dishonor them (such as: Black history and christopher colombus).

The US Constitution is revered like some kind of a religious text and its text is treated like dogma when it was designed to be adaptive (or maladaptive). But the fucker's title is capitilized because that's just the norm in English for titles of documents, books, etc.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Starting a movement to decapitalize things we don’t like would be an interesting punk-linguistics move. trump. the republican party. bakersfield, California.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Which one is that?

Australia.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pirate Radar posted:

Starting a movement to decapitalize things we don’t like would be an interesting punk-linguistics move. trump. the republican party. bakersfield, California.

You mean a thing that writers of color have been doing already?

Punks are the shock troops of white gentrification.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Star Man posted:

You mean a thing that writers of color have been doing already?

Punks are the shock troops of white gentrification.

I assume you mean “punks” in this case

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oops

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pirate Radar posted:

I assume you mean “punks” in this case

Decapitalization ain't my style

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Star Man posted:

Yes, I'm aware that writers will capitalize nouns to illustrate importance of their movement or people or decapitalize them in order to diminish or dishonor them (such as: Black history and christopher colombus).

The US Constitution is revered like some kind of a religious text and its text is treated like dogma when it was designed to be adaptive (or maladaptive). But the fucker's title is capitilized because that's just the norm in English for titles of documents, books, etc.

I agree, but it’s also not typical of other countries with constitutions as far as I can tell. It’s not a major point, just more of a “if you’ve never thought about this” type of statement.

Edit: to be clear, I actually thought you were making a joke. I wasn’t trying to be dismissive. :(

Don’t you guys also lock up refugees in concentration camps and make weird bad environmental law like we do?

Like it’s probably better since you guys have a parliamentary system but it’s still not producing quality outcomes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree, but it’s also not typical of other countries with constitutions as far as I can tell. It’s not a major point, just more of a “if you’ve never thought about this” type of statement.

Edit: to be clear, I actually thought you were making a joke. I wasn’t trying to be dismissive. :(

Like which? I always capitalize it when appropriate, whichever country I’m talking about.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pirate Radar posted:

Like which? I always capitalize it when appropriate, whichever country I’m talking about.

Let me rephrase: if I talked about “the French Constitution,” I would capitalize it.

If I said “the Constitution” without further context, you’d assume I meant the American one.

Admittedly, this is partially due to most of us being American. But still, the point is that the US Constitution is given such a deferential position in our society that it’s changed our grammar in small ways.

Edit: I realize now that this sounds silly.

I guess the point is that conservatives aren’t capitalizing it because they think it’s the title of a document. :colbert:

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 15, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Don’t you guys also lock up refugees in concentration camps and make weird bad environmental law like we do?

Like it’s probably better since you guys have a parliamentary system but it’s still not producing quality outcomes.

Yes we do. I would never claim that Australian politics are good. They're just not remotely as loony-tunes insane as American politics.

I mean, Abbot was a total blithering idiot who repeatedly stabbed his own party in the back. But then you guys went and proved that anything we can do, you can do ten times harder.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 15, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Dave Rubin did an interview David Frum that's worth watching but is also an amazing demonstration of how much Rubin is a doormat of an interviewer with a paper-thin understanding of everything.

Lightning Knight posted:

Nathan Robinson is back to what he does best: publicly assassinating pseudointellectual right-wing hacks via essay.

This week’s target is Jordan Peterson. :getin:
I'm really wondering how many of Peterson's fans actually understand what he's saying anyway. The impression I get is that it's a bunch of people that heard him complaining about pronouns and identity politics and decided that must mean he's a genius that "gets it."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lightning Knight posted:

Let me rephrase: if I talked about “the French Constitution,” I would capitalize it.

If I said “the Constitution” without further context, you’d assume I meant the American one.

Admittedly, this is partially due to most of us being American. But still, the point is that the US Constitution is given such a deferential position in our society that it’s changed our grammar in small ways.

Edit: I realize now that this sounds silly.

I guess the point is that conservatives aren’t capitalizing it because they think it’s the title of a document. :colbert:

I mean I guess we mostly agree, it’s just that if a Canadian said “the Constitution” then without any other context I’d assume they were talking about the Canadian one... the US Constitution is definitely treated with an undue amount of you-can’t-change-this-you-will-regret-this worship, though. It was written by slave-owning plantation aristocrats and worse, Bostonians.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pirate Radar posted:

I mean I guess we mostly agree, it’s just that if a Canadian said “the Constitution” then without any other context I’d assume they were talking about the Canadian one... the US Constitution is definitely treated with an undue amount of you-can’t-change-this-you-will-regret-this worship, though. It was written by slave-owning plantation aristocrats and worse, Bostonians.

Yeah I think I’m just making a bad argument. Oh well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

OneEightHundred posted:

Dave Rubin did an interview David Frum that's worth watching but is also an amazing demonstration of how much Rubin is a doormat of an interviewer with a paper-thin understanding of everything.

I'm really wondering how many of Peterson's fans actually understand what he's saying anyway. The impression I get is that it's a bunch of people that heard him complaining about pronouns and identity politics and decided that must mean he's a genius that "gets it."

It's the "stupid person's idea of a smart person"-effect again.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm really wondering how many of Peterson's fans actually understand what he's saying anyway.

probably not too many since he cloaks everything in obscurantism to cover up the fact he doesn't say much of anything at all

the guy's a 4th rate lacan and not the fun kind like zizek

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Rush explained to us yesterday that Lamb was "supposed to win by 5%"* according to polls and that "Democrats always seem to win close elections", which is a dog whistle for "rigged elections". It's also total bullshit> God, does he think I don't remember Bush v Gore, Bush v Kerry and even Trump losing the popular vote?

The lying seems more and more blatant.

*citation needed

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

OneEightHundred posted:

Jordan Peterson's YouTube videos do get a fair number of hits, but the videos that end up going viral are never his, they're videos made by other people with titles like "Jordan Peterson DESTROYS SJW journalist" or whatever.

His fans just want him to lay sick owns on the libs. I think his overall messages are secondary.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Rush explained to us yesterday that Lamb was "supposed to win by 5%"* according to polls and that "Democrats always seem to win close elections", which is a dog whistle for "rigged elections". It's also total bullshit> God, does he think I don't remember Bush v Gore, Bush v Kerry and even Trump losing the popular vote?

The lying seems more and more blatant.

*citation needed

I certainly wonder how he feels about the Virginia election where it came down to a single vote and the Republicans decided after the fact that a discarded ballot was in fact actually good and then won the equivalent of a coin flip.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

probably not too many since he cloaks everything in obscurantism to cover up the fact he doesn't say much of anything at all

the guy's a 4th rate lacan and not the fun kind like zizek

Yeah a couple days ago I skimmed a paper of his (which I deeply regret because it's ten precious minutes of my life I can't get back) and it was a nearly opaque layer of bullshit designed to make him sound smart on top of a bunch of super obvious waffling with some dogwhistling about how maybe conservatism is just evolutionarily advantageous so you should all vote trump guys!

Like it was a paper in support of him rebranding the idea of uncertainty as 'psychological entropy' and as far as I could tell the entire point was for him to say a bunch of things that look like smart people words and waffle so much that people would mostly just 'meh whatever' through it and act like it meant anything because they couldn't be hosed to wade through the mire of jargon.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 15, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Leofish posted:

Jordan Peterson's YouTube videos do get a fair number of hits, but the videos that end up going viral are never his, they're videos made by other people with titles like "Jordan Peterson DESTROYS SJW journalist" or whatever.

His fans just want him to lay sick owns on the libs. I think his overall messages are secondary.

It’s basically this.

Jordan Peterson is basically one of the “skeptic youtuber” personalities who gets mainstream legitimacy because he is nominally educated and writes books that seem smart. His followers only really care about dropping sick burns to own the libs tho.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

like with ben shapiro i dunno how someone who sounds like that gets an audience regardless of what he's saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

like with ben shapiro i dunno how someone who sounds like that gets an audience regardless of what he's saying.

Genocide Ben's audience came from Baby Boomers reading and listening to him and then forcing him on their kids/grandkids while they were at a still-politicially impressionable age. Gamergate did a lot to rebuild his star power too after the 12 Year Old Conservative Wunderkin luster wore off and his helicopter dad couldn't get him booked anywhere but C-Tier Fox News shows. The hordes of angry white male nerds came to Breitbart following Milo Yiannopolis's pied piper tune, and there they found Ben waiting to greet them with his creepy serial killer smile and his hot takes on woman, trans people, Arabs, and those loving kids these days :argh:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 15, 2018