Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like how the new Republican strategy is to gaslight Democrat winners into thinking they should be Republican. The desperation is insane

Like what about Conor Lamb says he’s conservative? The gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

If the Democrats are half-a-gently caress good at messaging

I've got some bad news for you, friend...

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Carlosologist posted:

I like how the new Republican strategy is to gaslight Democrat winners into thinking they should be Republican. The desperation is insane

Well you see he isn’t advocating for FULL COMMUNISM NOW or handing out free drugs and abortions to teenagers, so he’s clearly not a Democrat.

If he’s not a Democrat and is popular in a Trump district then he’s really a Republican otherwise the voters wouldn’t have chose him. :911:

radicaldreamer
May 14, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

Probably not worth thinking about because even if we do have evidence it'll never go public.

This seems fishy because all of these stories seem connected to this organization which is fundraising, but not a non-profit called the "To The Stars Academy of Arts and Sciences", which seems to have these videos posted but no clear explanation of their research and why they need to raise millions of dollars. It seems to be full of former government researchers who have now left their gov gigs and are placing these op-ed's and articles in the press while fundraising for their org.

https://coi.tothestarsacademy.com

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Did anyone in the room know what hell he's saying?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What the hell is this alien ufo thing you guys are talking about? You know that literally everything that’s flying and unidentified is considered a ufo right it’s in the name.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

RasperFat posted:

It would be some Twilight Zone poo poo if electing Trump doomed us to being a loner species in the universe forever.

Aliens come checking us out how that we are sending probes to Mars and connected the entire world with the internet.

Then they see us elect the orange rear end in a top hat and the world just goes along with it. They decide we aren’t ready for the galactic federation of free energy and limitless supplies. We kill our selves in 50 years before they test us again and never get to go Star Trek.

You forgot the part where they setup a relativistic kill vehicle and park it in the Kuiper Belt just in case.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Carlosologist posted:

They're just following the Trump mantra of "slap your name on something that succeeded by itself and pretend it's your own accomplishment."

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

RasperFat posted:

It would be some Twilight Zone poo poo if electing Trump doomed us to being a loner species in the universe forever.

Aliens come checking us out how that we are sending probes to Mars and connected the entire world with the internet.

Then they see us elect the orange rear end in a top hat and the world just goes along with it. They decide we aren’t ready for the galactic federation of free energy and limitless supplies. We kill our selves in 50 years before they test us again and never get to go Star Trek.
Problems with this:

alien species experience no discourse and all follow along with the same goal (much like how we imagine the mothership-riding planet visitor variety) and thus cannot comprehend a flawed democracy...somehow ftl but lack ability to think as individuals and experience the idea of disagreement empathetically.
alien species looks solely at the united states of america as the only power interest worth judging anything on this planet by.
alien species fundamentally lack the capacity to study and decipher our language and various cultures, and also have an inability to look at their own pre-ftl cultures.

So, your worries are unfounded. Nothing so barbarous of mind could make it to that point.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
:3:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Do you think the aliens have a copy of the Piss Tape?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i appreciate your tweet dumps but it'd be great if you only posted tweets with a certain minimum number of favs/replies

i mean there has to be a threshold right? i dont think anyone here is interested in what joe nobody thinks

good dogge

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phlag posted:

Has this been posted yet? If so, I apologize. Actually, I apologize either way.
https://twitter.com/laurenduca/status/974064363932995584

I mean

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

radicaldreamer posted:

This seems fishy because all of these stories seem connected to this organization which is fundraising, but not a non-profit called the "To The Stars Academy of Arts and Sciences", which seems to have these videos posted but no clear explanation of their research and why they need to raise millions of dollars. It seems to be full of former government researchers who have now left their gov gigs and are placing these op-ed's and articles in the press while fundraising for their org.

https://coi.tothestarsacademy.com

https://www.thefader.com/2018/02/27/aliens-exist-feature/

Article on To The Stars from a few weeks back on how it came to be and what its about. Make of it what you will but its not a bad read.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lycus posted:

Do you think the aliens have a copy of the Piss Tape?

Yes they do.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

i am harry posted:

Problems with this:

alien species experience no discourse and all follow along with the same goal (much like how we imagine the mothership-riding planet visitor variety) and thus cannot comprehend a flawed democracy...somehow ftl but lack ability to think as individuals and experience the idea of disagreement empathetically.
alien species looks solely at the united states of america as the only power interest worth judging anything on this planet by.
alien species fundamentally lack the capacity to study and decipher our language and various cultures, and also have an inability to look at their own pre-ftl cultures.

So, your worries are unfounded. Nothing so barbarous of mind could make it to that point.

We hope so.

I’ve always thought aliens have 3 likely attitudes towards humans, probably all about equally likely. 1st: they completely ignore us until we are far more advanced 2nd: they help guide us into become a better more unitarian species. 3rd: They are an invasive and hostile species.

I like to bank on the first two because #3 means we are hosed

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I mean, you better hope for 2, since 1 will just probably kill us.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

RasperFat posted:

We hope so.

I’ve always thought aliens have 3 likely attitudes towards humans, probably all about equally likely. 1st: they completely ignore us until we are far more advanced 2nd: they help guide us into become a better more unitarian species. 3rd: They are an invasive and hostile species.

#4: they stop by, take one look and say holy poo poo nope nope nope nope and speed out

which is what happened the last time aliens showed up

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

RasperFat posted:

We hope so.

We are safe from 3, because a spunky group of misfits will save us at the last minute as dramatic music plays.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

i appreciate your tweet dumps but it'd be great if you only posted tweets with a certain minimum number of favs/replies

i mean there has to be a threshold right? i dont think anyone here is interested in what joe nobody thinks

Most of the low favs/replies ones are people summarizing articles and/or the poor bastard who actually screencaps fox news shows

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Party Plane Jones, you and your work are beautiful and don't let these cretins tell you how to do your work.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The Indiana legislature literally ran out of time in the session tonight and several bills never got a vote, which was pretty funny. Among them was the bill to allow guns on school and church property (Churches can opt out, I don't think schools can), which had been scuttled around the time of Parkland and was intended to get tucked into a vehicle bill and passed quietly on the last day.

The completely unqualified Governor that Pence left behind has actually been a ton better than him, on the scale of GOP Indiana Governors of course.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Star Man posted:

Party Plane Jones, you and your work are beautiful and don't let these cretins tell you how to do your work.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Tayter Swift posted:

#4: they stop by, take one look and say holy poo poo nope nope nope nope and speed out

which is what happened the last time aliens showed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRl9D_agLbU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

The Indiana legislature literally ran out of time in the session tonight and several bills never got a vote, which was pretty funny. Among them was the bill to allow guns on school and church property (Churches can opt out, I don't think schools can), which had been scuttled around the time of Parkland and was intended to get tucked into a vehicle bill and passed quietly on the last day.

The completely unqualified Governor that Pence left behind has actually been a ton better than him, on the scale of GOP Indiana Governors of course.

"better than Mike Pence"

Finally, a compliment I can give a thick person who I hate.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:rip: Banks, we can only hope the Culture is watching us and going to step in.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I hope aliens realize the failures of the human race and they just destroy the planet.

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 15, 2018

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

Pretty much everything I know about Indiana comes from Parks and Recreation and every time I am reminded Mike Pence was governor it just makes me sad imagining which of the characters would have voted for him. Which then makes me imagine Leslie Knopes reaction on 2016 election night and I just get even more sad and want a drink.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

It's my understanding that those DNA tests which give you % of ethnicity are a hairs breadth above pseudo-science.

For example see this.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/06/dna_testing_cannot_determine_ancestry_including_elizabeth_warren_s.html

Plummeting costs in sequencing lead to exponentially growing sample sets. More than a million people have been sequenced and that number will soon be tens of millions. As sample size of third world and other disadvantaged populations grow, so to will the ability of algorithms to correlate specific population markers. The article dismissing this is what's non scientific.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol, just found the funniest concern troll ever

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Charlz Guybon posted:

Plummeting costs in sequencing lead to exponentially growing sample sets. More than a million people have been sequenced and that number will soon be tens of millions. As sample size of third world and other disadvantaged populations grow, so to will the ability of algorithms to correlate specific population markers. The article dismissing this is what's non scientific.

cool glad to know it's rational to mail a tube of spit to a company who will send me pseudorandom analysis of my ancestors for a hundred bucks

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Faustian Bargain posted:

I hope aliens realize the failures of the human race and they just destroy the planet.

Me too but it would be disappointing if the aliens didn’t also build a nice new bypass through Earth’s remains

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

enraged_camel posted:

lol, just found the funniest concern troll ever

Been there, done that: t_d is not interested in hearing about why guns are incompatible with the engagement profile of real world self defense scenarios

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

:rip: Banks, we can only hope the Culture is watching us and going to step in.

Did you not listen to it? They gently caress off after watching us for 30+ years taking nothing but the honest experience of 1 alien, the murdered body of the one who really tried to integrate and then another dozen aliens sat around watching Seinfeld and had that to tell. It ends up with them grabbing 2 snowflakes from Antarctica just for shits and giggles, possibly microbes.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 15, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DiggityDoink posted:

Did you not listen to it? They gently caress off after watching us for 30+ years taking nothing but the honest experience of 1 alien and 2 snowflakes.

Hey my username is literally a Banks reference I know my Culture, I'm just hoping that IRL we get a different experience or they change their mind and come back (Before the 22nd century when they canonically contact us),

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

boner confessor posted:

cool glad to know it's rational to mail a tube of spit to a company who will send me pseudorandom analysis of my ancestors for a hundred bucks

Didn't Donnie start a "healthcare"****** service that was this? Not sure if that was a Last Week Tonight joke or not.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Hey my username is literally a Banks reference I know my Culture, I'm just hoping that IRL we get a different experience or they change their mind and come back (Before the 22nd century when they canonically contact us),

To be honest my only hope for humanity before I die, is that we're uplifted. I don't see us as a species unfucking the world on a climate level anytime soon unless we have literal aliens coming here and teaching us how to do it.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

You know, I think I'm finally convinced that there are some things do deserve the death penalty.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Skaw posted:

You know, I think I'm finally convinced that there are some things do deserve the death penalty.

Not death, reeducation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

You fundamentally misunderstand the issue. Even if we were able to correlate these markers with the full current population, the argument dismissing their ethnicity results would still be valid. First, people move. Second, we don't inherit all of the DNA of our ancestors. My wife and I did these tests because I show them in class. On one of the results, depending on the company it was either 23% northwest African and 60+% Iberian, or 80+% Iberian. Whatever markers used today can't tell us much about what happened generations ago. No matter how much data they get from Northeast Africa and southern Spain/Portugal nowadays, nothing they will ever do will be able to tell me if the 22% Northwest African is correct or if it's really Portuguese or Spanish blood (and keep going back and the whole thing becomes even more impossible to discern). The whole thing is based on a notion of a world that was essentially static until some point in the recent past.

• Locked thread