Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

hotsauce posted:

Wtf. Go to Swappa if you want to save money. Less risk there, IMO.

I joined the 2XL club last week...will be here Monday :getin:

\/ \/ \/ True, the ability to open a claim is the same. I was more talking about the fact that Swappa is gadget [phone] oriented and the likelihood a seller is accurately representing the thing you are buying is higher (imei checks, post approval, etc). Better than an eBay seller hawking beanie babies, car parts and a random cellphone.

I had some small cracks on something marked that it was brand new and they watched the whole interaction but didn't really help as the sell berated me saying no refunds. I'd rather have done it via eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WiFi calling is stupidly tied to carrier handsets most of the time. If you get an Unlocked device off carrier there is a 95% chance that it won't allow Wifi calling using the carriers native support for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

sourdough posted:

Wifi calling works fine on a Pixel 2 on T-Mobile in the U.S., but not SMS (unless I'm missing some setting or plan feature somewhere). I'm sure some/many prepaid lines or other carrier plans don't have wifi calling, though.

I got texts on my last flight connected to in flight WiFi with my Pixel 1 last year, so I think it does work. Didn't do anything special to set it up.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

chippy posted:

Is WiFi calling not a thing in the USA? I'm on EE in the UK and my phone (Pixel 2 XL) routes voice and SMS over WiFi if there's bad/no cell signal. It's natively supported by the network and handset, no apps or anything needed.

That said, I don't really text anyway, almost everyone I know is on WhatsApp.

Its entirely dependent on the carrier.

I can speak for Verizon Wireless in the US.. Most phones sold by them in the past 2-3 years support it, but it needs to be specifically enabled. As part of the enablement process, you have to enter a physical address for emergency purposes (aka E911).

And I dunno if this still holds true or not.. but it used to be with Verizon WIFI calling, calls could only roam one direction; cellular to WiFi. Any attempt to go back the other way would drop the call.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

This is one of the things I like about using Google Voice.
Voice is the one product of theirs that I'm terrified of them ruining. It really feels like my number is mine. If I get tired of my carrier I can just pop in a new SIM and everything will work. I have no idea what my carrier number is and I don't care.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

T-Mobile has had wifi calling for at least 7 years. It was on my first smartphone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Taffer posted:

T-Mobile has had wifi calling for at least 7 years. It was on my first smartphone.

And it sucks rear end.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Taffer posted:

I remember using wifi calling on my Blackberry Curve 8530 on Tmobile in 2009 :allears:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

EdEddnEddy posted:

WiFi calling is stupidly tied to carrier handsets most of the time. If you get an Unlocked device off carrier there is a 95% chance that it won't allow Wifi calling using the carriers native support for it.

Interesting, I presumed it was just SIM dependent. That sucks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

stevewm posted:

Its entirely dependent on the carrier.

I can speak for Verizon Wireless in the US.. Most phones sold by them in the past 2-3 years support it, but it needs to be specifically enabled. As part of the enablement process, you have to enter a physical address for emergency purposes (aka E911).

Verizon also configures their Android devices so that they prefer a Verizon signal over wifi, unless you're roaming. Unless you're in an absolutely "no-service" scenario, it won't cut over to using wifi calling. Until they stood up a cell down the street from me I had crap service, but unless I was in my basement it was still not crap enough to flip to wifi calling.

If you put a Verizon SIM into a Pixel, it sets wifi calling to "cellular preferred" and hides the menu option to change it. There's an adb command to override this, but it's stupid that you have to do this.

When it's actually enabled though, it seems to work just fine. I was in Europe a few months ago and it was nice to be able to make calls and use SMS over wifi, and so I only needed to pay for the $10 roaming day pass maybe 1/3 of my week-long trip.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just piling on that my Nexus 6P got the March patch a couple days ago, and even after a restart the battery life seems to have gotten worse. I'll give it a couple more days before I decide to do a factory reset, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For all you battery people, did you know that Better Battery Stats now works without root?

So I have a question that doesn't really fit anywhere else. You know how in Google Drive, there's that option to show your Google Photos in there? Well I turned that on initially when it came into being but then turned it off because I'd really rather not have all that sync to my computer. I'd rather just pull the photos as needed from Google Photos. Unfortunately that doesn't get rid of the folder itself.

If you look at the support documentation it says (emphasis mine):

quote:

What happens when you change or delete a photo
  • If you edit photos in Google Photos, changes won’t show in Google Drive.
  • When you delete a photo from Google Photos, it’ll also get deleted from Google Drive.
  • If you delete a photo from Google Drive, it’ll also get deleted from Google Photos.
    - But if you add that photo to an album in Google Photos, it won't be deleted from those albums.
  • If you delete from the Google Photos folder in My Drive:
  • If you delete individual photos or videos, they will be removed from Google Photos.
  • If you delete folders (including the Google Photos folder), photos and videos won’t be deleted in Google Photos. This is to avoid deleting all your photos and videos by accident.
  • If you move photos from the Google Photos folder to a different folder and delete them from there, they’ll also be deleted in Google Photos.

My question is: Has anyone actually tried this? Not that I don't trust Google, but I don't want to delete that folder then have everything just disappear. I understand I could always undo the deletion but I'm not confident that wouldn't mess up the metadata.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd probably try it on a dummy Google account first.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just in case anyone else in here is a Canadian preorder purchaser of the S9 or S9+:

So I contacted samsung today because it's the 2nd day that they should have been shipping the s9+ and I still didn't have any notification and on my samsung account the order looks the same as it did a week ago. Via the live chat thing on their website I was told that they'd be trying to get them out by the 16th.

Seems kinda lovely to me - if you have weeks leading up to a release date I think you really should try to ship them out actually on the release date.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I've gotta say, I have no idea if I'm just disappearing way too far down the hipster "social media is ruining our lives" rabbit hole or what, but I've actually pondered the idea of something like Light Phone. A phone that feels more like a futuristic Swiss Army knife and less like a small computer. Plus I freaking love the idea of e-ink.

But then I think about camera functionality and the whole thing kind of falls apart.

And THEN... $400, yeah right.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Alright, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I could find anything in the last few pages or the OP. What is the thread recommended screen protector for the regular Pixel 2? My dad finally broke down and upgrade from an S3 and would like something to protect the screen, and it's not something I bothered to research for my phone since all the XL ones seemed lovely. Thanks!

edit: does anyone have the amFilm one? I am very pleased with the amFilm protector on my Switch.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 15, 2018

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

My question is: Has anyone actually tried this? Not that I don't trust Google, but I don't want to delete that folder then have everything just disappear.

I have and didn't suffer any negative effects. That said, don't blame me if your cherished memories disappear

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ROJO posted:

Alright, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I could find anything in the last few pages or the OP. What is the thread recommended screen protector for the regular Pixel 2? My dad finally broke down and upgrade from an S3 and would like something to protect the screen, and it's not something I bothered to research for my phone since all the XL ones seemed lovely. Thanks!

edit: does anyone have the amFilm one? I am very pleased with the amFilm protector on my Switch.

Skinomi one is fine

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Skinomi one is fine

My Skinomi on 2XL looks awful. Hundreds of time indents that I can see and feel over the surface of my phone. Did I gently caress up installation?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

chippy posted:

Is WiFi calling not a thing in the USA? I'm on EE in the UK and my phone (Pixel 2 XL) routes voice and SMS over WiFi if there's bad/no cell signal. It's natively supported by the network and handset, no apps or anything needed.

That said, I don't really text anyway, almost everyone I know is on WhatsApp.

It is, but I don't think it was full working during the storm. I kept trying to make calls on WiFi and they weren't going through, but now that the towers in the area are back up I seem to be able to make WiFi calls normally again. I have no idea how the system works or if that makes sense, I just know from trying to make calls during/after the storm because I usually use WiFi calling if I'm at home anyway.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jigoku posted:

My Skinomi on 2XL looks awful. Hundreds of time indents that I can see and feel over the surface of my phone. Did I gently caress up installation?

My Pixel 2 skinomi is super smooth and any blemishes it gets cure themselves. I cant feel anything other than your typical soft screen protector just cause it has a bit more grip than glass.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

That and it is far more common for Americans to have several cards.
You can just set all the PINs to the same thing if this is really somehow a problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

You can just set all the PINs to the same thing if this is really somehow a problem.

Well that's not very secure, is it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Do you have a different signature on every card?

Android and payment related: since it got rebranded to Google Pay the app keeps putting payments through on a particular card even though I have a different one is set to default. This used to happen if the app was in the background viewing another card but now it's doing it even when I'm on the main screen of the app. I have to specifically open the card that I want to use every time. This is extremely annoying! I've also changed the default and changed it back to try to reset the behaviour but it didn't help. Anyone else had this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

As with anything, the question is not whether it's secure, it's whether the balance of security and convenience is acceptable and better than alternatives. Yes, having different PINs is better. It's also less convenient. Having the same PIN is still more secure than a signature which is never actually checked, and only slightly less convenient unless you have serious memory problems.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Given that any more you don't have to sign and don't have to remember a number, I won't lie, I kind of prefer it this way. That said, I've read that before about how the banking industry figured there's no way they'd ever be able to teach Americans to both use a chip and remember a number but that never made sense to me as Americans all have to remember their PIN for their debit card anyway so they were already used to the idea of using cards and PINs.

Given how poorly the rollout for chip readers has been I feel like Occam's Razor would tell us that the reason we didn't get chip and PIN was because they knew they'd gently caress up deployment.

Tunga posted:

Android and payment related: since it got rebranded to Google Pay the app keeps putting payments through on a particular card even though I have a different one is set to default. This used to happen if the app was in the background viewing another card but now it's doing it even when I'm on the main screen of the app. I have to specifically open the card that I want to use every time. This is extremely annoying! I've also changed the default and changed it back to try to reset the behaviour but it didn't help. Anyone else had this?

What happens if you remove the card it's going to incorrectly?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Given that any more you don't have to sign and don't have to remember a number, I won't lie, I kind of prefer it this way. That said, I've read that before about how the banking industry figured there's no way they'd ever be able to teach Americans to both use a chip and remember a number but that never made sense to me as Americans all have to remember their PIN for their debit card anyway so they were already used to the idea of using cards and PINs.

Because they want credit cards to be more convenient so that people continue to use them.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
So I’m looking to migrate back to the android eco system...just without the Google stuff. What are my best bets for a current or last gen device that’s rootable and has an active development community going for something like one of the privacy oriented ROMs?

And what’s the best way to migrate my stuff from my iPhone without the use of anything cloud oriented?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Trauts posted:

So I’m looking to migrate back to the android eco system...just without the Google stuff. What are my best bets for a current or last gen device that’s rootable and has an active development community going for something like one of the privacy oriented ROMs?

And what’s the best way to migrate my stuff from my iPhone without the use of anything cloud oriented?

Ah.... Good luck.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trauts posted:

the android eco system...just without the Google stuff.

Why?!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Trauts posted:

Out of interest, what are you coming from and how come you don't want any Google stuff?

Could you just ignore the Google stuff?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Being on Android without Google stuff is like being on iOS without Apple stuff. You can't, and if you actively try to avoid it you will just make everything way harder.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd guess a Pixel and a long, hard look at XDA forums.

There's a few privacy oriented OSes out there, but I'm hesitant recommending anything. Maybe somebody like the EFF would have a guide? I don't know.

Isn't there a rooting thread around here? That'd be a better place to ask.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Taffer posted:

Being on Android without Google stuff is like being on iOS without Apple stuff. You can't, and if you actively try to avoid it you will just make everything way harder.

I could probably replace 80% of the Google apps on my phone without root in an hour. Depends on how deep the OP wants to go.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You can replace some Google apps but you can't replace the Google frameworks and those frameworks are designed with the primary intention to funnel your information to Google. Unless you want a phone with no GPS, no wifi, no cellular connectivity, and no push notification capabilities, you can't get away from Google on Android.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The Gemini PDA raised $2 million on indiegogo and has now actually shipped.

https://twitter.com/harrymccracken/status/974381216253161472

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Uthor posted:

I could probably replace 80% of the Google apps on my phone without root in an hour. Depends on how deep the OP wants to go.

Google apps are just the tip of the iceberg. Google play services is the backbone of the Android ecosystem and 99% of apps heavily rely on Google libraries and frameworks. Views, data handling, lifecycle, notifications, crash handling, ad services, and a myriad of other things.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Android without the Google stuff? Maybe someone has a Fire Phone in a drawer somewhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It looks like you can put Replicant on a Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Nexus, so uh, I guess those are technically options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I guess you could pick some device that's supported by LineageOS and install it without the Google blobs, but your phone is going to live in some slow burning state of brokenness with occasional flareups.

Or you could just stick with iOS and have a working phone that doesn't interact with Google, or any cloud services at all if you don't want it to.