Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I really love stupid comic book stuff that is poorly thought out. In Injustice Blue Beetle (Jamie) gives air for Supergirl on the moon by making a shelter from his armor after she'd already ran out of air. It was a real "gently caress yea, comic books" moment.

Grem fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Grem posted:

I really love stupid comic book stuff that is poorly thought out. In Injustice Blue Beetle (Jamie) gives air for Supergirl on the moon by making a shelter from his armor after she'd already ran out of air. It was a real "gently caress yea, comic books" moment.

I figured his suit generated the air, the same way it seems to generate 'pure energy' and such.

Scarab's pretty powerful, it's like a low-range lantern ring.

Lousy comic book day, though, for DC at least. Deathblow is getting a little interesting but is still more than weirdly focused on things that aren't depicted very well.

Sideways and New Super-Man and the Justice League of China were cool, though. Sideway's basically got a portal gun superpower so hopefully they'll get into the tricks he can pull off with it.

Dragonson sounds a little off. Would Aqua-Khan be fitting? I like that he's so indoctrinated he thinks the voice he's hearing in his head calling him son is the god-emperor of the DPRNK while still rejecting him as a leader.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aqua-Khan just makes me think of Khan from KOTH as Aquaman.

So sure, let's use it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The 'next issue' preview refers to him as "Aquaman of North Korea." So I could see his name being "Dragonson" while his actual Hero name is just "Aquaman"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

nofather posted:

Lousy comic book day, though, for DC at least

A Mister Miracle week can't be a lousy week.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone pick up Green Lantern Earth One and care to review it? It's delayed on Comixology :/

edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/03/14/hawkman-will-return-to-his-own-series-from-dc-comics-this-summer/
Hawkman ongoing from Venditti and Hitch.
I'd really have expected that to go to Jeff Lemire. I wonder if they already screwed up his return to DC.

Eww gently caress. I was really looking forward to a Jeff Lemire Hawkman run. I absolutely despise Venshitty after reading his initial stuff on Green Lantern and have no interest in reading his crap.

Why bother with the whole process of giving Hawkman a big Rebirth treatment and using Metal to make him have a big epic comeback if you're just going to give it to the usual lousy B-Grade stable of writers?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've been really loving Venditti's current GLC series...I haven't read the N52 one though, what exactly was the issue with it?

Also, thirding that New Super-Man and the JLOC is still one of the best books around. Like, Priest's JL is fine and whatever, but this is the Justice League that I've been rooting for. :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BrianWilly posted:

I've been really loving Venditti's current GLC series...I haven't read the N52 one though, what exactly was the issue with it?

Also, thirding that New Super-Man and the JLOC is still one of the best books around. Like, Priest's JL is fine and whatever, but this is the Justice League that I've been rooting for. :allears:

I'm also really enjoying Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corp. When I hear people complain about Venditti on GL almost inevitably the thing brought up is Hal and Carol being broken up for Kyle and Carol which... fair nuff? It was a pretty poo poo plot and probably the worst iteration of that plot to go around? But his work since Rebirth's been very solid. But I'm a weirdo, I loved Tony Bedard's New Guardians until #0 and them actually breaking up the interesting dynamics and interactions that was going on with Kyle's little group in favor of "And here's the corp leaders, the art's poo poo, and the plot is rushed for this new event."

Same time, Bedard's Blue Beetle was poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

I'm also really enjoying Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corp. When I hear people complain about Venditti on GL almost inevitably the thing brought up is Hal and Carol being broken up for Kyle and Carol which... fair nuff? It was a pretty poo poo plot and probably the worst iteration of that plot to go around? But his work since Rebirth's been very solid. But I'm a weirdo, I loved Tony Bedard's New Guardians until #0 and them actually breaking up the interesting dynamics and interactions that was going on with Kyle's little group in favor of "And here's the corp leaders, the art's poo poo, and the plot is rushed for this new event."

Same time, Bedard's Blue Beetle was poo poo.

That wasn't the only issue, he also retconned a bunch of retarded poo poo into the mythos like the idea of the emotional spectrum being able to run out (despite you know, being literal weaponized emotions), bring back the emotional entities for no other reason to kill them again in a couple of panels and the aforementioned issue with Hal and Carol.

Luckily, he has dropped his own additions to the mythos on this new run and the overall tone is closer to Johns' original run.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That wasn't the only issue, he also retconned a bunch of retarded poo poo into the mythos like the idea of the emotional spectrum being able to run out (despite you know, being literal weaponized emotions), bring back the emotional entities for no other reason to kill them again in a couple of panels and the aforementioned issue with Hal and Carol.

Luckily, he has dropped his own additions to the mythos on this new run and the overall tone is closer to Johns' original run.

Okay but what if you're someone like me who hated Geoff Johns run, hated the emotional spectrum in the first place and didn't care about the Entities finding them a lovely retcon in the first place?

And also doesn't think his current book is anything like Johns old run, since there's not nearly enough of "The same loving story told over and over again, just swapping some words around."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The I guess you will love Venditti's old run? :shrug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm watching Professor Marston and the Wonder Women and I hope it's depiction of early DC is in any way accurate.
"We're getting complaints from decency groups about the kinky poo poo. We'll have to cut it down by about 60%"
"Fascists!"

edit: Looking through the pre-Crisis WW covers after the movie, I found something interesting.
In the mid 70's right after her mod reinvention was ditched, for ten straight issues (almost two years on the publishing schedule at the time) there was another seemingly unrelated character on the cover with a blurb inviting you to read.
I was guessing that the sales were so dire at the time that they needed Superman and even Elongated Man on the front literally telling the kids to give a crap about Wonder Woman, but clicking into them, each issue was actually a report narrated by a JLer to the rest of the League, detailing a WW adventure they observed that would convince them (or not?) to readmit her to the team (I guess she left in that mod period.)
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder_Woman_Vol_1_212

Probably not gonna bother reading them, but it's kinda interesting that her story was told by her pals spying on her for a good while.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 15, 2018

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I want a modern comic to use that format with a lovely hero.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I want a modern comic to use that format with a lovely hero.

Batman points to a Teen Titans cover: "Look I know the last 2 or 3 times we did this team it was bad but it'll be different this time, baby, please!"

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
Finally got a chance to sit down and read Mr. Miracle last night. They were pretty blatant about referencing the Lump, which leads me to believe this is all a hallucination as Scott breaks free from Darkseid/Granny/Anti-Life, but I felt it was a bit more when Barda asked Scott if he remembered Jacob's Ladder. I know in comic they're referencing a torture device back on Apokolips, but I kept thinking about the movie which had similar themes.

I don't think they would be calling Scott back to combat considering he was found guilty of being an Agent of Darkseid, escaped prison, and then was discovered standing over the murdered corpse of Orion, and then they just fast forward till the baby's birth and it's as if it all just blew over. There's no way this is real, and at this point I'm thinking this (mostly) ideal life with Barda is mostly a trick to try and convince Scott to stay in the illusion rather than free himself, a la the Black Mercy, and all the creepy weird poo poo isn't so much evil as trying to tell him what's really going on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The new wave of Hanna Barbera crossovers has been revealed.

quote:

THE FLASH/SPEED BUGGY SPECIAL #1
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS scribe Scott Lobdell, along with Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund, is gearing up to deliver a rubber-burning story that pushes all the way into the redline! When Wally West tries to take down the villain Kilg%re, he’s surprised to find he has an unknown ally who can move just as fast as he can. Dr. Pernell, a brilliant S.T.A.R. Labs scientist, has found a way to power his dune buggy using the Speed Force. When the Flash agrees to help test the limits of the vehicle in a race, something unexpected sends them spiraling out of the Speed Force and into the unknown. They land in a post-apocalyptic future, but Dr. Pernell is missing, leaving a now-sentient Speed Buggy to help the Fastest Man Alive repair the time stream and stop the triple threat of Savitar, Speed Demon Buggy and… Reverse Speed

BLACK LIGHTNING/HONG KONG PHOOEY SPECIAL #1
Back from Vietnam, kung-fu master Hong Kong Phooey has set up his own detective agency in the inner city. Meanwhile, Jefferson Pierce (a.k.a. Black Lightning) has uncovered a plot by three assassins to collect the components of a sacred text revealing the darkest secrets of martial arts magic, and they’ll kill anyone who owns them—including the dog who holds the last chapter of the book, Hong Kong Phooey. MICHAEL CRAY Bryan Hill, Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz team up to deliver a story with all the power of a roundhouse kick to the chops!
Plus, Jeff Parker and Scott Kolins team up once again in a bonus story featuring a pre-DEMON Jason Blood and Hanna-Barbera’s own “Spirit of ’76,” The Funky Phantom.

AQUAMAN/JABBERJAW SPECIAL #1
In a story written by Aquaman writer Dan Abnett with art and by Paul Pelletier and Andrew Hennessey, the town of Amnesty Island is besieged by a series of shark attacks, and the authorities call Aquaman for help! What’s unusual about this case is that the shark isn’t trying to kill people—he just wants to talk to them. All Jabberjaw wants is to get back to Aqualand, the future undersea utopia where he came from. But that peaceful city where man and sentient sea life have been living in harmony has been turned into a dystopian nightmare created by a new Ocean Master! Now the King of Atlantis and his friendly shark ally must team up to set things right.

This one-shot also includes a bonus short story by Jeff Parker and Scott Kolins that tells the tale of the first-ever meeting between Captain Caveman, The Spectre and the wizard Shazam.

SUPER SONS/DYNOMUTT SPECIAL #1
It’s no fun for Jon Kent to be visiting Big City with his parents for the funeral of an old friend, so his best pal Damian Wayne decides to follow along and give him the inside scoop on the city. But when they go to meet Robin’s local friend, Dynomutt, they find him injured and in need of help. And Dynomutt’s human superhero companion, Blue Falcon, has seemingly turned evil. What’s the reason for this betrayal between once-loyal companions, and what role might the evil Red Vulture play in this scenario? Fan-favorite SUPER SONS writer Peter J. Tomasi teams up with Fernando Pasarin and Oclair Albert to tell this story featuring the first encounter of the Dog Wonder with the sons of the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight.

Each one-shot will be 48 pages long and cost $4.99.

https://www.newsarama.com/39083-shazam-meets-captain-caveman-and-more-in-new-wave-of-dc-hanna-barbera-crossover-books.html

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I wish these to be good.

Crossover specials take my energy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm in for Black Lightning/Hong Kong Phooey, and Super Sons/Dynomutt.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Onmi posted:

Okay but what if you're someone like me who hated Geoff Johns run, hated the emotional spectrum in the first place and didn't care about the Entities finding them a lovely retcon in the first place?

While I don't like Johns, what would you have wanted to happen in Green Lantern over the past several years? They didn't seem like they were going anywhere.

I kind of like the other Corps, but I think some were introduced as baddies and Johns likes his characters too much to do that, so now even the more evil ones have veered hard towards anti-hero (I believe the GLs have even teamed up with Black Hand?). He's not so good with villains, which might make sense considering his big inspirations.

nofather fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 15, 2018

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I'm in for Black Lightning/Hong Kong Phooey, and Super Sons/Dynomutt.

This makes me think it's going to be pretty much Power Man/Iron Fist.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nofather posted:

While I don't like Johns, what would you have wanted to happen in Green Lantern over the past several years? They didn't seem like they were going anywhere.

I kind of like the other Corps, but I think some were introduced as baddies and Johns likes his characters too much to do that, so now even the more evil ones have veered hard towards anti-hero (I believe the GLs have even teamed up with Black Hand?). He's not so good with villains, which might make sense considering his big inspirations.

I dunno, not the same story repeated over and over again? Original villains and concepts? Character development? Anything that wasn't just popcorn fluff that everyone thought was the greatest thing ever. Oh and while I'm asking for these supposedly very difficult concepts, actually making use of the Green Lanterns ability to 'Make Constructs' for interesting fights would maybe be pushing it a bit too far. Oh! And asking Geoff Johns to do a modicum of loving research and not just poo poo over everything made by anyone else because he had an idea of how things are as a teenager and he doesn't really care if that's not how reality is.

The only metric by which Geoff Johns Green Lantern was 'Good' was by sales.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Hootington posted:

I wish these to be good.

Crossover specials take my energy.

The Looney Tunes ones were pretty great. Not expecting another Batman/Elmer Fudd, but DC seems to put some effort into these things.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

I dunno, not the same story repeated over and over again? Original villains and concepts? Character development? Anything that wasn't just popcorn fluff that everyone thought was the greatest thing ever. Oh and while I'm asking for these supposedly very difficult concepts, actually making use of the Green Lanterns ability to 'Make Constructs' for interesting fights would maybe be pushing it a bit too far. Oh! And asking Geoff Johns to do a modicum of loving research and not just poo poo over everything made by anyone else because he had an idea of how things are as a teenager and he doesn't really care if that's not how reality is.

The only metric by which Geoff Johns Green Lantern was 'Good' was by sales.

That is extreme bias. I don't know what is your metric for original villains and concepts but every new character introduced during his run was certainly original.

And I don't know what you mean about making GBS threads on everyone else's previous work when he revamped a bunch of elements from previous writers. He did shift the focus to Jordan but that doesn't mean the rest of the Earth Lanterns suddenly became incompetent.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BC has a JL cover by Jim Cheung and is extrapolating that he's jumping from Marvel to be Scott Snyder's JL artist.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/15/john-stewart-scott-snyder-jim-cheung-justice-league-relaunch/

So, that's Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Barry Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, John Stewart GL and Hawkgirl.

Would have liked one of the goofier picks from the No Justice teams in there, but I'll take it. Cheung's great.

e: And in not so interesting news, looking at these, there's obviously going to be a Superman variants month timed for AC1K
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/15/18-dc-comics-covers-april-may-nick-bradshaw-ryan-sook-jg-jones/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 15, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is extreme bias. I don't know what is your metric for original villains and concepts but every new character introduced during his run was certainly original.

And I don't know what you mean about making GBS threads on everyone else's previous work when he revamped a bunch of elements from previous writers. He did shift the focus to Jordan but that doesn't mean the rest of the Earth Lanterns suddenly became incompetent.
Sinestro Corp War, Blackest Night, War of the Green Lanterns and Rise of the Third Army are fundamentally the exact same story, with the exact same set up of PROPHECY going basically through the exact same beats. The window dressing is different but they don't do anything with the concept. As for what I consider to be an 'Original Villain' Well, having the heroes fight someone who doesn't ALSO use their exact power set is typically a bar of entry.

You know what made Sinestro stand out as a Renegade Green Lantern with a power ring? That nobody else in Hal's rogue's gallery could do that. Nobody else could make constructs, they had to fight him in their own unique ways. Every single villain Geoff Johns ever made had the exact same set of powers Hal and company did, just flavored differently "Oh it's like acid and it's red because of Mad." Isn't actually interesting at all when we just got "Yellow because of FEAR" and that not 5 minutes later we got "Orange because Greedy, except it's all one guy and anyone he kills becomes part of his power."

His most 'Original' creation was the Third Army, and they're just the Borg and also boring. But that's Geoff Johns in a nutshell, he's boring. His ideas were neat the first time and it just got progressively stupider the more he wrote. He was essentially trying to make a 'Speedforce but for Ring Slingers' and, in my opinion, failed miserably and rather than build a rich mythos hammered everything down into a boring slot.

I'd rather have Venditti throwing Zod's family at the GLC, because he didn't feel the need to also give them construct based powers he let "Kryptonian family powered by two Yellow Suns with a Cult of Personality surrounding them" vs "Will-enabled heroes who can create anything limited only by their imagination" play out... as just what it is.

The reason I hate Geoff Johns is the reason I love New Superman. New-Superman isn't just "Another Kryptonian, Amazon, rich kid who lost his parents" etc. Kong Kenan isn't Clark Kent, in fact he was the furthest you could get from him, Wang Baixi isn't rich, he has loving parents, and he's overweight, he's got the intelligence and that's it he was only third place in his class to. Peng Deilan isn't an Amazon, she's not related to divinity, though her story does come from myth, that of the Legend of the White Snake. And their enemies are not just "Chinese Metallo, Chinese Penguin" Even the 'Chinese Joker' Alpaqa isn't anything like the Joker we have, her entire build is within the confines of her story and flavored as such.

The reason I hate Geoff Johns is the same reason when Adam Beechen wrote Batman Beyond and he had a 'Catwoman' show up, and then had Terry joke about how he didn't have a Catwoman before, and oh they have to flirt it's tradition, while also mowing down Terry's actual existing rogues (They all got better under different writers). I just had to roll my eyes, because it had such a fundamental lack of understanding of Batman Beyond, Terry and was literally just bringing in "Villain from Batman's past but a sequel: Oh it's Catwoman and Hush, very original yes?"

It'd take me way too many times to go over every plot hole, every inconsistency, every dumb retcon Geoff Johns ever did duringhis Green Lantern run, but we could basically start with Parallax and then go with "Everything after Parallax"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 15, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

Sinestro Corp War, Blackest Night, War of the Green Lanterns and Rise of the Third Army are fundamentally the exact same story, with the exact same set up of PROPHECY going basically through the exact same beats. The window dressing is different but they don't do anything with the concept. As for what I consider to be an 'Original Villain' Well, having the heroes fight someone who doesn't ALSO use their exact power set is typically a bar of entry.

You know what made Sinestro stand out as a Renegade Green Lantern with a power ring? That nobody else in Hal's rogue's gallery could do that. Nobody else could make constructs, they had to fight him in their own unique ways. Every single villain Geoff Johns ever made had the exact same set of powers Hal and company did, just flavored differently "Oh it's like acid and it's red because of Mad." Isn't actually interesting at all when we just got "Yellow because of FEAR" and that not 5 minutes later we got "Orange because Greedy, except it's all one guy and anyone he kills becomes part of his power."

Except that that isn't the case? You're ignoring the characterization that went into each character that made them interesting on their own right. Atrocitus is a very different character from Sinestro, both are different from Larfleeze and so on. Even their powers work differently.

And frankly, I fail to see how elaborating the idea of emotion fueled powers to a logical conclusion is a bad thing on itself.

quote:

His most 'Original' creation was the Third Army, and they're just the Borg and also boring. But that's Geoff Johns in a nutshell, he's boring. His ideas were neat the first time and it just got progressively stupider the more he wrote. He was essentially trying to make a 'Speedforce but for Ring Slingers' and, in my opinion, failed miserably and rather than build a rich mythos hammered everything down into a boring slot.

You seem to be in the minority with this opinion since Johns' tenure on the title briefly made GL one of the heavy hitters in DC's stable (nearly on par with the Trinity) and what landed him on his current position of power at DC. He has spread himself thin over the years but SCW, BN and Wrath of the First Lantern still hold up.

quote:

I'd rather have Venditti throwing Zod's family at the GLC, because he didn't feel the need to also give them construct based powers he let "Kryptonian family powered by two Yellow Suns with a Cult of Personality surrounding them" vs "Will-enabled heroes who can create anything limited only by their imagination" play out... as just what it is.

Zod might be different but ultimately is bland story that doesn't offer nothing really interesting to the mythos nor takes advantage of the setting. Something that has been a trend with Venditti.

quote:

The reason I hate Geoff Johns is the reason I love New Superman. New-Superman isn't just "Another Kryptonian, Amazon, rich kid who lost his parents" etc. Kong Kenan isn't Clark Kent, in fact he was the furthest you could get from him, Wang Baixi isn't rich, he has loving parents, and he's overweight, he's got the intelligence and that's it he was only third place in his class to. Peng Deilan isn't an Amazon, she's not related to divinity, though her story does come from myth, that of the Legend of the White Snake. And their enemies are not just "Chinese Metallo, Chinese Penguin" Even the 'Chinese Joker' Alpaqa isn't anything like the Joker we have, her entire build is within the confines of her story and flavored as such.

This is a weird comparison. Johns wasn't writing new characters with similar powers during GL. He was taking old characters and updating them into a more coherent whole.

And when he did focused on create new characters with the same powerset, he gave us Simon Baz who is as far as you can get from Hal.

quote:

The reason I hate Geoff Johns is the same reason when Adam Beechen wrote Batman Beyond and he had a 'Catwoman' show up, and then had Terry joke about how he didn't have a Catwoman before, and oh they have to flirt it's tradition, while also mowing down Terry's actual existing rogues (They all got better under different writers). I just had to roll my eyes, because it had such a fundamental lack of understanding of Batman Beyond, Terry and was literally just bringing in "Villain from Batman's past but a sequel: Oh it's Catwoman and Hush, very original yes?"

Again, I fail to see what your point on comparison two completely different situations as if they were similar. Johns run was always taking the basic concepts from GL and reworking them into something new. Hell, his arrival to the title was all about bringing Hal back. Going into it expecting differently when DC and Johns were upfront about their goals is baffling to say the least.

quote:

It'd take me way too many times to go over every plot hole, every inconsistency, every dumb retcon Geoff Johns ever did during his Green Lantern run, but we could basically start with Parallax and then go with "Everything after Parallax"

I'd love to hear about the plot holes and inconsistencies you see on his run. Don't worry about the time, I have plenty of it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Don't bury the big news ya chumps.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

BC has a JL cover by Jim Cheung and is extrapolating that he's jumping from Marvel to be Scott Snyder's JL artist.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/15/john-stewart-scott-snyder-jim-cheung-justice-league-relaunch/

So, that's Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Barry Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, John Stewart GL and Hawkgirl.

Would have liked one of the goofier picks from the No Justice teams in there, but I'll take it. Cheung's great.

e: And in not so interesting news, looking at these, there's obviously going to be a Superman variants month timed for AC1K
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/15/18-dc-comics-covers-april-may-nick-bradshaw-ryan-sook-jg-jones/

I expect a portion of Snyder's check if he puts John and Hawkgirl together.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

As much as I appreciate the gently caress out of this lineup and what they're going for, it's also undeniably very sausagey. 7-2 ratio here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

As much as I appreciate the gently caress out of this lineup and what they're going for, it's also undeniably very sausagey. 7-2 ratio here.

What women are there that you would slot in that aren't just female versions of male heroes already on the team? Vixen?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sheborg

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

It's a Justice League Unlimited reunion and I am cool with that, but yea bring on Supergirl, Vixen, Star (from Star and STRIPES) and every other woman character from that show too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Actually, either or both of Black Canary and Zatanna would fulfill my criteria and have already been on The Justice League. So I answered my own question and am now pissed off they aren't on the team.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm a bit bummed there isn't an Atom on there now we have both of them in play. Guess I want more boys :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw that Cheung cover at DC but they would not answer questions about it.

Edit: I have vague details on a major DC project that I was accidentally shown during my visit to the offices and holy poo poo is it eating me alive.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 16, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I saw that Cheung cover at DC but they would not answer questions about it.

Edit: I have vague details on a major DC project that I was accidentally shown during my visit to the offices and holy poo poo is it eating me alive.

It's ok. You can tell us about the JLA/Avengers reprint that's totally happening.

Edit - Trying to think of the most disappointing DC could possibly announce, and all I'm thinking of is another wave of Dark Matter books.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

What women are there that you would slot in that aren't just female versions of male heroes already on the team? Vixen?
Vixen and Black Canary, yeah, and then possibly Zatanna. It's really not like the JL roster is lacking in women. It just becomes a bit egregious when it's two out of nine on a lineup.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 16, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

My boy Kyle is never gonna be in the league again.

That said, super ironic since I just got back from binging most of JL/JLU and reminding myself "Wow I really liked this show and line-up"

EDIT: Wait? Is this irony? Or is it just coincidence?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Onmi posted:

My boy Kyle is never gonna be in the league again.

That said, super ironic since I just got back from binging most of JL/JLU and reminding myself "Wow I really liked this show and line-up"

EDIT: Wait? Is this irony? Or is it just coincidence?

I think irony would be if you hated the show/lineup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

good day for a bris posted:

Finally got a chance to sit down and read Mr. Miracle last night. They were pretty blatant about referencing the Lump, which leads me to believe this is all a hallucination as Scott breaks free from Darkseid/Granny/Anti-Life, but I felt it was a bit more when Barda asked Scott if he remembered Jacob's Ladder. I know in comic they're referencing a torture device back on Apokolips, but I kept thinking about the movie which had similar themes.

I don't think they would be calling Scott back to combat considering he was found guilty of being an Agent of Darkseid, escaped prison, and then was discovered standing over the murdered corpse of Orion, and then they just fast forward till the baby's birth and it's as if it all just blew over. There's no way this is real, and at this point I'm thinking this (mostly) ideal life with Barda is mostly a trick to try and convince Scott to stay in the illusion rather than free himself, a la the Black Mercy, and all the creepy weird poo poo isn't so much evil as trying to tell him what's really going on.
Yep, I had seen theories about the Lump bandied about in this thread months ago, so kudos to whoever predicted that first. Between that reveal and the whole "Twilight of the Gods" vibe the whole series has, I feel like that's going to be a device to depict Scott Free living out an entire out-of-continuity lifetime, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more time jumps like at the start of this issue.

As to the question of why New Genesis would follow Scott after his apparent murder of the previous Highfather, the conversation with Forager a few issues back foreshadowed that there was a faction that was willing to follow Scott if he killed and usurped Orion, so presumably everybody fell in line during the time jump. And even though last issue we saw Mister Miracle walk into the throne room and discover Orion already dead, there's enough of an unreliable narrator vibe that strictly speaking we don't know that Scott really didn't kill Orion under the influence of Anti-Life.