Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Patashu posted:

If you hate draining this much, be glad item destruction, permacorrosion and permadrain are gone!

When they changed mottled dragons to the acid ones it was a huge sense of relief for me because seeing them would still make me panic. Memories of having to drop my scrolls when encountering one, and oh no you couldn't do it all at once just in case they reached you before you could drop them all. You have to go in order of importance. Drop blink than tele than ew III, II, I etc.

I love reminiscing about old crawl. Remember when you had to learn spellcasting by reading scrolls if you didnt start with it? lol that was so terrible. Or only being able to brand weapons by using a spell brand and reading ewIII. For all the poo poo people give current crawl it's millions of times better than it was, and even back before all the QOL fixes it was still such a fun game. I love crawl.

E: I think i've brought this up before but my favorite death was on a kenku tengu. I had a few runes and just cleared slime, was rocking huge amounts of EV with flying and phaseshift and whatnot. Killed TRJ, walls became translucent, and a golden eye paralyzed me and I died instantly. I honestly loved it.

Everyone talk about your favorite deaths because I Iove that poo poo!

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

baby delivery truck posted:

Or only being able to brand weapons by using a spell brand and reading ewIII.
[...]
Everyone talk about your favorite deaths because I Iove that poo poo!

Hey I loved being able to manually brand things =[

Favorite death story: MiBe, something about .6 or .7ish. I'm rear end-deep in the Elf Vault, summoners are going hog wild, and literally the entire screen is filled with summons. Not an inch left to fill with more summons, seriously. Naturally, there's a Fiend in the back, spamming torment and laughing as his elf buddies are suffering from it. Me? I'm five layers of brick shithouse impenetrable, so torment will never kill me since nobody else can can land damage. I'm surrounded by chaff imps and in zero danger, other than my 10% hp. After a while of being berserk, murdering as much as I can but still unable to out-pace the summon spam, I decide to bail. Except I'm still berserk. And there's no way to lose berserk rapidly back then, not even pressing 5. Disillusioned, I take a few more swings while waiting for the bez to wear off. Naturally, Trog being the great guy that he is, this just perpetually prolongs the berserk (Bez was an incomparably stronger trick back then). This goes on for a while as the imps eventually RNG their way into chipping down my last hp. With about 50+ elves and deamons in the background laughing.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Serephina posted:

Hey I loved being able to manually brand things =[

Favorite death story: MiBe, something about .6 or .7ish. I'm rear end-deep in the Elf Vault, summoners are going hog wild, and literally the entire screen is filled with summons. Not an inch left to fill with more summons, seriously. Naturally, there's a Fiend in the back, spamming torment and laughing as his elf buddies are suffering from it. Me? I'm five layers of brick shithouse impenetrable, so torment will never kill me since nobody else can can land damage. I'm surrounded by chaff imps and in zero danger, other than my 10% hp. After a while of being berserk, murdering as much as I can but still unable to out-pace the summon spam, I decide to bail. Except I'm still berserk. And there's no way to lose berserk rapidly back then, not even pressing 5. Disillusioned, I take a few more swings while waiting for the bez to wear off. Naturally, Trog being the great guy that he is, this just perpetually prolongs the berserk (Bez was an incomparably stronger trick back then). This goes on for a while as the imps eventually RNG their way into chipping down my last hp. With about 50+ elves and deamons in the background laughing.

Hahaha, see, this is great because I can imagine it happening to me. Being a mobile fortress getting taken down by imps. ty

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Here's my 'best' death. I had an SpVM of Sif Muna doing extended comfortably, until I was cornered by two silent spectres with 0 ways to do damage or escape and 0 relevant skills...

http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.10/Patashu/morgue-Patashu-20120330-031457.txt

Ha ha look at that loving weapon I'm holding. 'the cursed -2,-3 falchion "Blynos" (weapon) {slice, +Rage +Inv rF+ SInv}' I'm literally just holding it to have a third pip in rF+. ZERO damage wands, ZERO evokables, no melee/ranged/evo skills and of course a totally irrelevant god choice.

My second 'best' death was when I was playing a MiBe and bored to the point of hubris of how easily everything was dying to tabbing. So I go into slime, Dissolution shows up, summons a floating eyeball, I keep tabbing instead of reacting, it paralyzes me, and a bunch of slimes chain-murder me. http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Patashu/morgue-Patashu-20141006-011102.txt

I also have a death to Roxanne. No idea what I was doing/thinking since there's no ttyrec anymore. http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.10/Patashu/morgue-Patashu-20120322-072856.txt

Patashu fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 15, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i just realized that my multi-charge random-effect xp evocable idea to replace conjuration rods (scattershot, inaccuracy, ignition) could be flavored as some kind of primitive-gun-ish artifact

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my favorite death is the time i reached the entrance of zot for the first time and instead of going inside i tried to poke a draconian across a lava moat with a polearm i had no skill in until it scored a devastating breath hit on me

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The removal of scrolls of recharging has an upside in that it means wands no longer need to be balanced against each other.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Any of my blurry vision deaths. They are all precious to me, don't make me choose.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The time I died in Zot's lungs because of teleportitus and my inability to escape that hellish floor.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?p=327071#p327071

Here's a Fedhas proposal that makes them the God of Summon Forest, plus two summoning spell ideas.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PMush Perfect posted:

Hybrids get hit especially hard by drain because not only does it hit every casting skill, it also hits Armor and, depending on race/build, Shields.

I don't think your AC or SH (or spellpower) being lower are all that noticeable though - they're mechanically hurtful in a long term statistical way but I can't really imagine being *annoyed* by it - certainly not in the way that failure rates could be. I think drain is cool but I'd be okay if it didn't affect spell failure rates if it still affected everything else. It's kind of an interface screw in that you kinda want to look at your failure rates after every group of monsters.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 15, 2018

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think your AC or SH (or spellpower) being lower are all that noticeable though - they're mechanically hurtful in a long term statistical way but I can't really imagine being *annoyed* by it - certainly not in the way that failure rates could be. I think drain is cool but I'd be okay if it didn't affect spell failure rates if it still affected everything else. It's kind of an interface screw in that you kinda want to look at your failure rates after every group of monsters.

But lowering Armour and especially Shields will hit your spell failure rates additional times. I often use shields underskilled and drain can quickly make them worse than not wearing. At least the interface portion has improved since spell failure rates get shown when targetting as well.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Speaking of hybrids, lost my first successful (as in, got past Lair) Gnoll to goddamn Elf 3 after getting two runes. I just wanted a better polearm than a vampiric glaive, is that so wrong :(

I like their gimmick but I'm not nearly good enough to win a character that requires that much thinking during every fight. Right now my only victories are a GaFi of Ru and a FoFi of Uskayaw, I'm trying to branch out into casters and it's not going well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

rchandra posted:

But lowering Armour and especially Shields will hit your spell failure rates additional times. I often use shields underskilled and drain can quickly make them worse than not wearing. At least the interface portion has improved since spell failure rates get shown when targetting as well.

Right that's what I had in mind - all places that calculate spell failure rates would have to use pre-draining skill levels. It might still be optimal to take off your shield for accuracy reasons or something but I think that's a more reasonable consequence of drain than checking spell failure rates every time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Patashu posted:

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?p=327071#p327071

Here's a Fedhas proposal that makes them the God of Summon Forest, plus two summoning spell ideas.

this is neat. fedhas is clunky as hell currently.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Speaking of hybrids, lost my first successful (as in, got past Lair) Gnoll to goddamn Elf 3 after getting two runes. I just wanted a better polearm than a vampiric glaive, is that so wrong :(

I like their gimmick but I'm not nearly good enough to win a character that requires that much thinking during every fight. Right now my only victories are a GaFi of Ru and a FoFi of Uskayaw, I'm trying to branch out into casters and it's not going well.
I recommend a BaFi of Chei. Chei's absurd hybrid powers + Barachi's repeatable Controlled Blink and great apts = my first non-MiBe win.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Dachshundofdoom posted:

For me, it's the opposite. If I don't have to stop and think in order to kill stuff, I usually succumb to hubris. Like this recent troll that had confusing touch and Damnation before lair but decided to go poke in Orc instead and died trying to outrun a stone giant :(

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

For me, it's the opposite. If I don't have to stop and think in order to kill stuff, I usually succumb to hubris. Like this recent troll that had confusing touch and Damnation before lair but decided to go poke in Orc instead and died trying to outrun a stone giant :(

Stone giants seem a bit binary to me in that I always either roll over them like they're a bit more inconvenient ogre or completely splat me with little room for an attempt to escape.

What bothers me about them a lot is that they seem very good at both chasing you while simultaneously machinegunning you with rocks. I'd honestly like if their movement was a bit slower the turn after they throw a rock or something, so walking off would be actually viable (seriously, sometimes I just walked around a corner into ~5 tile distance from one and spend every following turn trying to get away, and just couldn't).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was looking through the learndb for something and i found the entry for the amulet of vitality, the amulet that was such a non-entity that nobody noted when it stopped existing and i didn't even remember it was a thing that existed

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Teal posted:

Stone giants seem a bit binary to me in that I always either roll over them like they're a bit more inconvenient ogre or completely splat me with little room for an attempt to escape.

What bothers me about them a lot is that they seem very good at both chasing you while simultaneously machinegunning you with rocks. I'd honestly like if their movement was a bit slower the turn after they throw a rock or something, so walking off would be actually viable (seriously, sometimes I just walked around a corner into ~5 tile distance from one and spend every following turn trying to get away, and just couldn't).

And somehow they are inconspicuous enough that I only now discovered that they are HD 16 versus a cyclops' HD 9. So a little more respect for them might be in order :D

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's all about the failure rates. Take mephitic (or later game, freezing) cloud for example, a great spell for hybrids but is also 3 different schools. If you're getting that castable as early as possible it usually means your melee and defenses are slightly lacking. Getting hit with drain lowers not just the 3 spell schools you need for it, but also shield and armor skill so you don't mitigate the penalties on those anymore. Your failure rate easily triples from just yellow drain and now it's in the dangerzone. You can risk the miscasts, drop your shield/swap armor, or just try and rely on your weapon and weaker spells, all of which can (and usually WILL since this is crawl) backfire. Going from 8% to 30+% failure rate is super annoying and feels terrible, but drain wouldn't really be impactful if it didn't affect that.

My problem was that I felt like drain was everywhere, and would just like SOME sources to be changed from skill to stat drain, and/or have the brand and wights be blocked by just rN+, and/or replaced with something else entirely. Drain is okay how it is it's just overused.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Also wow that Fedhas rework looks strong but really doesn't sound fun at all. Still just another boring ally god.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that one summon forest replacement spell sounds pretty great

[quote]Willbinder (needs a better name) - Level 4 Summoning/Translocations
- Attempt to banish an enemy to the Abyss. This bends their will to your own, and allows you to summon them back as an ally. (Successfully banishing an enemy changes this spell to "Summon Banished Ally" until it is cast.)[/b]

imo make that idea triple school (hexes) level 3 but then let it scale real far up and you got something fun on your hands

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

- Attempt to banish an enemy to the Abyss. This bends their will to your own, and allows you to summon them back as an ally. (Successfully banishing an enemy changes this spell to "Summon Banished Ally" until it is cast.)[/b]

imo make that idea triple school (hexes) level 3 but then let it scale real far up and you got something fun on your hands

They better also return with severe mutations/corruption.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Also wow that Fedhas rework looks strong but really doesn't sound fun at all. Still just another boring ally god.

fedhas is already a janky and boring mishmash of weird bullshit

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Fedhas seems to be one of the gods that got forgotten about when the game updated a bunch of mechanics. I think it's the only one left that didnt automate its piety gain?
Gotta pray to convert those corpses, making it finicky.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

fedhas is already a janky and boring mishmash of weird bullshit

I like some of the ideas, but Summon Forest The God seems pretty uninteresting. Wish they'd just take the neutral plants, sunlight, rain and the water walking (and maybe the regen) thing, and give nature-based forms instead of allies.

The summon forest thing just reminds me of Lugonu's corruption and I don't think it's interesting enough to be the whole foundation of the god. Maybe leave it as a once per level high piety thing like corruption?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

heard u like girls posted:

Fedhas seems to be one of the gods that got forgotten about when the game updated a bunch of mechanics. I think it's the only one left that didnt automate its piety gain?
Gotta pray to convert those corpses, making it finicky.

No, you get piety from their natural decay and accelerate it automatically when you leave the floor. Only pray ability when you need to evolve the mushrooms.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Hmm then i'm fairly sure it doesnt play nice with autobutcher and autoeat, but i should probably check it out before making more claims :newlol:

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
It doesn't play nice with autobutcher, so I don't even bother with Fedhas. I never remember until it's too late. There's probably something I could put in the options to turn it off when I worship FM but :effort:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Has anything interesting happened with real Crawl in the last month or so

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
i have no idea how i never realized this until just now, but you can polymorph yourself. This can save your life if you find the wand early enough. bat, wisp, pig and porcupine are all quick moving, tree and fungus you can't run with but you're better in melee than most early combos. you even have a chance of turning into a normal transmutation form including dragon!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The game should have more stationary summons like Lightning Spire. It's pretty interesting and unique.

A lowish level summoning/earth spell to just create a temporary stone wall would be pretty interesting and lead to a lot of shenanigans, but it might be too similar to conjure flame. Blocking LOS to stop projectiles or even smites would be pretty powerful though.
Alternatively, you could do a higher level "summon statue" spell that makes a big tanky immobile melee guy. I'd probably make it "summon axe statue" to keep it from being too simple/boring.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lightning spire is already maybe the best all-around summon in the game largely due to being able to place it wherever you like, I think if you added one that was tankier it would be completely insane

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Tollymain posted:

that does sound cool, except for the part where it replaces summon forest

e: oh it's because the rework makes summon forest an invocation.

Samog fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 16, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

summon forest *feels* like a god power imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Samog posted:

that does sound cool, except for the part where it replaces summon forest

e: oh it's because the rework makes summon forest an invocation.

basically, yeah. it's kinda like lucy except you're bringing nature into the dungeon instead of the abyss.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Dungeon crawl kitchen sink is cool

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

i have no idea how i never realized this until just now, but you can polymorph yourself. This can save your life if you find the wand early enough. bat, wisp, pig and porcupine are all quick moving, tree and fungus you can't run with but you're better in melee than most early combos. you even have a chance of turning into a normal transmutation form including dragon!

Whisp form can also kill a poo poo ton of things surprisingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Goon crawl brings back the sword of jihad right?

• Locked thread