Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

death of retail, cont'd
33k jobs, ouch. all hail the trump economy

geoffrey the giraffe could not be reached for comment. he was reportedly looking for a ceiling beam or tree branch high up enough to hang himself from

e: from the end of the article

all i can say about that last comment is - nice!

and i suspect tru's troubles had more to do with $8bn in unserviceable debt from a botched lbo a decade ago than a failure to provide sufficient zest for life, but branding experts gotta brand i guess

its more that theres no reason to ever go to a retail store when you can get the same thing cheaper online. if you could get coffee delivered instantly from the internet starbucks would disappear too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if i wanted to get something brown and runny from the internet i'd read your posts

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PCjr sidecar posted:

ghostface shilla

https://nmpositive.tumblr.com/post/171874095306/introducin-the-bit-coin-shillerrrrr

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jabor posted:

if i wanted to get something brown and runny from the internet i'd read your posts

Lmbo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
:byewhore:

https://twitter.com/NOLAnews/status/974070899702927361

Landrieu's office confirmed by email Wednesday (March 14) that the agreement would not be renewed. It expired Feb. 21, and had been extended three previous times since first drafted in 2012.

"This technology is no longer being utilized in day-to-day operations, and therefore, will not be renewed," Landrieu press secretary Craig Belden said in an email.

Regarding claims that the City of New Orleans had a secret relationship, Landrieu's office pointed to information on the city's NOLA For Life website and in a 2016 NOLA For Life report that identifies Palantir as a partner in the effort to "increase analytical capacity at NOPD."

"There's a potential risk for abuse, particularly with no independent verification of how these tools are used," Ursula Price, deputy monitor in the Independent Police Monitor's office, previously told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune.

lmao landrieu all flushing his new not-racist cred right down the toilet

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/statnews/status/710152452570533888

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
remember, that hasn't been any other national just-toys-but-also-all-sorts-of-toys retail chain in the US since 2009. and before that it had just been kb and toys r us essentially (toys r us purchasing the corpse of kb in 2009) since 2002 or so when several smaller sorts of stores like zany brainy etc went under.

im not sure if there was ever really a point where dedicated wide-range toy retailers were really on top of the toy market as compared to people just buying toys from department stores and discount department stores (eg target/walmart/kmart). toys r us' big thing had mostly been being a good sort of showroom for toy manufacturers to try to get the public hooked on things in holiday seasons, but the bulk of the sales of the things that caught on were going to come out of something else

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

remember, that hasn't been any other national just-toys-but-also-all-sorts-of-toys retail chain in the US since 2009. and before that it had just been kb and toys r us essentially (toys r us purchasing the corpse of kb in 2009) since 2002 or so when several smaller sorts of stores like zany brainy etc went under.

im not sure if there was ever really a point where dedicated wide-range toy retailers were really on top of the toy market as compared to people just buying toys from department stores and discount department stores (eg target/walmart/kmart). toys r us' big thing had mostly been being a good sort of showroom for toy manufacturers to try to get the public hooked on things in holiday seasons, but the bulk of the sales of the things that caught on were going to come out of something else

mcdonalds is the world's leading toy distributor

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mcdonalds is the world's leading joy distributor

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fritz posted:

'no it just means cheap', rjmccall getting push-back on his new .ly domain

unreal

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

loving lol forever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol the previous page had me lolling irl several times

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

our current mascot is just way too recognizable, let's just replace it with giraffe.cdr

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/974261824853086209

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lol. that’s awesome.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I whip my elbow back and forth...

hmm, doesn't flow as well as the original.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

huge advances in arm reduction

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cat Face Joe posted:

back pantherbot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cat Face Joe posted:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that whole paper is amazing, here's a better link with screenshots of the different sections

https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/973637418225090560

abuse clock ticks and floor glitching for free energy
discovering turns were stored in text files and deleting them to get a perfect score
sorting a list by wiping it and making it a technically sorted blank one
apply a huge force to overflow memory and get a perfect score in aircraft structural physics simulation
selecting an illegal move in a far away grid in an infinite tic tac toe simulation, causing the opponent's computer crash when it expands the grid to validate the move

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

Blue Apron to Sell Meal Kits in Stores to Buttress Sagging Deliveries

Move comes as retailers like Walmart, Kroger and Amazon offer their own kits in fast-growing segment
:rip: podcasts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

:rip: podcasts

still got squarespace, casper, and that wine company

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bhodi posted:

that whole paper is amazing, here's a better link with screenshots of the different sections

discovering turns were stored in text files and deleting them to get a perfect score
apply a huge force to overflow memory and get a perfect score in aircraft structural physics simulation
selecting an illegal move in a far away grid in an infinite tic tac toe simulation, causing the opponent's computer crash when it expands the grid to validate the move

entire research team banned from physics building by vac anti-cheat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
this is my favorite one, which I think I've read before somewhere else:

quote:

In Thompson’s experiment, an EA evolved the connectivity of a reconfigurable Field Programmable Gate Area (FPGA) chip, with the aim of producing circuits that could distinguish between a high-frequency and a lower-frequency square wave signal. After 5, 000 generations of evolution, a perfect solution was found that could discriminate between the waveforms. This was a hoped-for result, and not truly surprising in itself. However, upon investigation, the evolved circuits turned out to be extremely unconventional. The circuit had evolved to work only in the specific temperature conditions in the lab, and exploited manufacturing peculiarities of the particular FPGA chip used for evolution. Furthermore, when attempting to analyze the solution, Thompson disabled all circuit elements that were not part of the main powered circuit, assuming that disconnected elements would have no effect on behavior. However, he discovered that performance degraded after such pruning! Evolution had learned to leverage some type of subtle electromagnetic coupling, something a human designer would not have considered (or perhaps even have known how to leverage).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 15, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

this is my favorite one, which I think I've read before else somewhere:

yeah i was gonna bring that one up (i think i posted it in here last time) cuz it's definitely one of the best and weirdest

another one i remember was an algorithm that was given a simulated set of arms and "muscles" and, just by moving them and measuring how the body moved in response, it had to learn to walk. they gave it a spider-shaped body in hopes that it would learn to walk like a spider, but what it came up with after lots and lots of iterations was this sort of... flopping motion, like an injured seal

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

haveblue posted:

this is my favorite one, which I think I've read before else somewhere:

it's only when you are incapable of understanding that you're free to invent anything

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

still got squarespace, casper, and that wine company

and the underwear company that makes your balls not stink

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bhodi posted:

that's how you know we aren't in a simulation; no animals evolved to rapidly vibrate and clip through the world

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

that's how you know we aren't in a simulation; no animals evolved to rapidly vibrate and clip through the world

nah. the devs nerfed evolution after the cambrian explosion back during beta.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

President Beep posted:

nah. the devs nerfed evolution after the cambrian explosion back during beta.

there was that one glitch with the dinosaurs but it hasn't been reproducible so far

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Carbon Fortress 2.006.1131 patch notes

- fire should now reliably consume bushes
- dwarves can no longer see text intended for dev console
- telomere length shortened again

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

:argh:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

hehe

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bhodi posted:

fuckin bots copying my test coverage manipulation strategy :argh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
facebook adds another notch to their bedpost

https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/973598305904201728

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

have you ever seen a cat

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

“We have invested significantly in technology and local language expertise to help us swiftly remove hate content and people who repeatedly violate our hate speech policies,” a spokesperson told me via email. “We take this incredibly seriously and have worked with experts in Myanmar for several years to develop safety resources and counter-speech campaigns.”

translation: hate speech search scripts now written in burmese python

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

have you ever seen a cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

translation: hate speech search scripts now written in burmese python

:vince: