Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I want to say that I don't know why you telegraph your interest like that unless you're trying to deceive other teams, but when I look into my dark heart, I think I know the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

fsif posted:

I want to say that I don't know why you telegraph your interest like that, but when I look into my dark heart, I think I know the truth.

HOPEFULLY it's a double reverse mind game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I still don't see why so many people are slotting Minkah as a safety. Saban loved using him as a nickel/box safety but I think he should be being talked about as a permanent corner after his combine.

I could easily see him go to a zone team or a team that values the slot more. He just seems wasted as a free safety and overrated as a strong safety. Decent tackler but not a missile and definitely not that great of a technician when he does get tackles. His hips are underrated. I know he most likely didn't do the three cone because he knew he'd be a 7 second guy but it's not like he's a total stiff.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

warcrimes posted:

Allen isn't Hackenberg v2.0. He can actually turn into a good QB but needs a lot of work. I wouldn't rank him 2nd but eh.

Aw man that's not fair, Hackenberg hasn't even gotten an opportunity to suck yet

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Josh Allen obviously isn't as bad as Hackenberg and it wouldn't completely astonish me if he ended up being a good NFL starter, but NFL scouts do this stupid poo poo seemingly every loving year. They find a tall "raw" guy with middling or limited college success, fall in love with his arm strength, and draft him because you can't teach those physical tools or whatever. Little do they ever consider that maybe they can't teach good mechanics, accuracy, or pocket presence, either!

Like I'm preaching to the choir here, but look at these old scouting reports.

Blaine Gabbert, Pick 10, 2011

quote:

Gabbert has it all physically, but has a long way to go before he's ready to lead an NFL offense

EJ Manuel, Pick 16, 2013

quote:

As gifted as any quarterback in the class, with a strong arm and good mobility. Scouts appreciate his leadership qualities and toughness (played through his mom's cancer treatments and a broken leg in 2011's Champs Sports Bowl win over Notre Dame), and hope he can improve on his consistency. Manuel has the velocity and mobility teams look for in a project quarterback.

Blake Bortles, Pick 3, 2014
(drafted before Bridgewater, Carr, and Garappolo)

quote:

Possesses ideal size, athletic ability, intangibles and enough arm strength to develop into an upper-echelon quarterback. Is not yet a franchise quarterback, but has all the physical ingredients to become an outstanding NFL starter and his arrow is very clearly ascending. Warrants top-10 consideration.

Paxton Lynch, Pick 26, 2016

quote:

He knows he has some work to do. On the positive side, Lynch has elite arm talent and athletic ability. What he needs to work on is that he's never been in a huddle, never been under center, and never done a five-step drop let alone a seven-step drop.

Josh Allen, Future Pick 3, 2018

quote:

Likely be the biggest boom-or-bust quarterback prospect in the draft. Allen's size and arm talent are prototypical for early first-round picks, but it's rare to find a quarterback with such a low college completion rate become a successful pro. Allen's receivers struggled to separate, but there were plenty of times where his lack of anticipation and post-snap plan did him in. Allen can make some truly special throws, but his ability to improve the mental part of his game will determine whether he's a good NFL starter or just another big, strong-armed guy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
He can't anticipate, throw with timing, or improvise. Pretty big knocks. The only question with him is does he not do that because he isn't capable of doing it or because he hasn't been taught properly. I tend to think that he isn't capable, and previous draft picks like you say tend to bear that out. You can't just force your brain to evaluate and think faster; some guys have it and some guys don't.

The fact is that there are three good passers in this draft, the kind of guys that don't come around every year. Rosen, Mayfield and Darnold are the kind of players you watch and it seems pretty clear they could succeed in the NFL. I think those three are still going to end up going before the other including Josh Allen.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
It's begun, spare time watching players I know I'll hate but end up convincing myself this time is different...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XStNSi22sDM

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos, I'll put :10bux: on the Giants drafting Quenton Nelson #2 overall

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The dream is dead

https://twitter.com/jeffdarlington/status/973996548647473154?s=21

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Argive posted:

It's begun, spare time watching players I know I'll hate but end up convincing myself this time is different...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XStNSi22sDM

That guy's videos are pretty interesting. He convinced me that the solution to Baltimore's wide receiver woes is drafting Jaleel Scott in the 5th round. That's despite Scott dropping every ball that got near him at the senior bowl.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

None of that means anything.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

Josh Allen obviously isn't as bad as Hackenberg and it wouldn't completely astonish me if he ended up being a good NFL starter, but NFL scouts do this stupid poo poo seemingly every loving year.

It's an easy trap to fall into. Allen has maybe a 25% chance to work out. But if he does work out he will terrorize the league and make Godzilla his bitch. That's what these scouts fantasize about as they toss and turn thinking about being the guy who brought "the Destroyer" into the league.

I'm honestly hoping for Baker Mayfield myself.
The Bills need an ACCURATE QB.
Accuracy imo is more important than anything else.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

Nah we ain't trading up for him

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

pasaluki posted:

Agreed on all counts. Brandon Beane on the other hand…

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/973613586336624641

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mcmagic posted:

the bears didn't do anything at all with Mitch before surprise drafting him

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

Agreed on all counts. Brandon Beane on the other hand…

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/973613586336624641

Is Allen even known for his pocket presence?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

pasaluki posted:

Only if a pocket is present.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Imagine wanting Allen over Rosen

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

a new study bible! posted:

Imagine wanting Allen over Rosen

There is SUCH little buzz around Rosen....

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

mcmagic posted:

Clearly a red mark against a draft prospect.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

mcmagic posted:

It's loving bananas. I can't tell if it's the media trying to drum up interest for the clicks, or if people are actually not interested in him.

He's a great prospect what the gently caress.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think once the FA frenzy dies down you'll hear more.

You hear almost nothing about Darnold either.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
On Bills receivers, I don’t think that group was great, especially with the injuries to Watkins, but are people really saying Robert Woods is not a #1 when he clearly took over that role in LA? He would have easily topped 1k yards with 7TDs or so if he didn’t get injured at the end of the season. Dude was outperforming Watkins consistently.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

MrSargent posted:

On Bills receivers, I don’t think that group was great, especially with the injuries to Watkins, but are people really saying Robert Woods is not a #1 when he clearly took over that role in LA? He would have easily topped 1k yards with 7TDs or so if he didn’t get injured at the end of the season. Dude was outperforming Watkins consistently.

They had Marquise Goodwin too and he had a very good season with SF and I think his contract was just extended.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

We have dinner with everyone we draft in round 1 lol

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

pasaluki posted:

It's an easy trap to fall into. Allen has maybe a 25% chance to work out. But if he does work out he will terrorize the league and make Godzilla his bitch. That's what these scouts fantasize about as they toss and turn thinking about being the guy who brought "the Destroyer" into the league.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There are concerns about Rosen's durability that seem relatively valid since he's missed a bunch of games the last few years and he's already had a few concussions.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

pasaluki posted:

Hot Pockets I'm sure.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Doltos, I'll put :10bux: on the Giants drafting Quenton Nelson #2 overall

Yeah I'll take that bet

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Joe Caporoso (Jets writer) just RT'd this guy, who apparently is an Islanders writer. Not a clue if it's even close to legit, but I've thought about the idea of the Jets trading back and taking Jackson in the past and it makes some sense I think.

https://twitter.com/JCapGLJ/status/974019217992364032

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Teddy+Lamar4Life

With a little heart through it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Diva Cupcake posted:

Teddy+Lamar4Life

With a little heart through it.

I honestly don't know how to filter the info I read on Jackson. I have seen people say he is the best prospect in this draft, and others who think he should be a day 2 or 3 guy like Rudolph. His athleticism and arm are unbelievable, but his accuracy is concerning, etc.

What are the takes on him here?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

I honestly don't know how to filter the info I read on Jackson. I have seen people say he is the best prospect in this draft, and others who think he should be a day 2 or 3 guy like Rudolph. His athleticism and arm are unbelievable, but his accuracy is concerning, etc.

What are the takes on him here?

He's talented and will probably be fun to watch and I hope he doesn't get broken in half before his rookie deal is up.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think Lamar's upside is the best quarterback in the NFL, provided you correctly factor in rushing contributions.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Plus this from Breer. They're doing their homework.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/15/kirk-cousins-contract-quarterbacks-guaranteed-money-mmqb

quote:

A few months back, the idea for 2017 was to strip down the team, rely on young guys, and get a Top 2 or 3 pick to spend on a quarterback. And this wasn’t just on paper, either. At the urging of ownership, the Jets’ personnel department sunk an absolute ton of resources into kicking the tires on all the college quarterbacks last fall. New York had a scout at just about every UCLA, USC, Wyoming, Oklahoma and Louisville game in 2017, and did all the background you can imagine on Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson.
Lamar Jackson has the potential to be great provided the system commits to building around his strengths. Jeremy Bates might be highly though of but I have my doubts that the Jets can commit to that and they've shown me nothing in their history that they can pull it off. If you draft Jackson, you better keep Bowles/Bates around for a few years.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/970781835390267392

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I will always be wrong on running QB's like Jackson but I would never draft any of them. I'm not convinced he can win from the pocket or that he can stay healthy.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

mcmagic posted:

I will always be wrong on running QB's like Jackson but I would never draft any of them. I'm not convinced he can win from the pocket or that he can stay healthy.

He ran more of a pro offense than Rosen or those other guys. And if he can survive his Louisville linemen nothing can stop him

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

mcmagic posted:

Have you watched a single second of Lamar Jackson?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

swickles posted:

Have you watched a single second of Lamar Jackson?

Yes.

Raku posted:

He ran more of a pro offense than Rosen or those other guys. And if he can survive his Louisville linemen nothing can stop him

He still was an impact player because of his legs much more than his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Raku posted:

And if he can survive his Louisville linemen nothing can stop him

Hits land harder in the pros. You couple that with contact he doesn't mind taking in the open field with his body type and it's something to worry about.

• Locked thread