Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vermain posted:

Zenos reminded me more of Solf J. Kimblee than Luca Blight. Zenos's constructed a grandiose philosophy like Kimblee's to try and elevate his sociopathy, whereas Luca Blight just straight up loved murder and didn't try to paint it in a prettier light.

I don't remember any grandiose philosophy that wasn't attributed to him. Flowery language sure, but when you broke that down it was pretty simple stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
me in eureka

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

I've never cared for the Ascians, they feel like very generic evil dudes pursuing very generic evil plots and that the story has no interest establishing what their goals, motives, powers, or limitations are beyond "evil." Thordan and the Heavensward are no better, again very generic in their motivations and personalities. For an expansion named after them, I was expecting to get to know the Ward as a bunch of recurring bad guys, but the only one who comes close is Zephirin. Thordan himself is a cipher, there's nothing to him beyond the rote "evil cloaked in light who says he's good" bad guy archetype. Nidhogg, big angry dragon whoopee nothing interesting here. The evil Vanu get no personality beyond that they're jerks, and Bismarck himself is completely silent. I consider Ravana the best villain of the expansion despite him only being in it for five minutes, because unlike everyone else in this joyless expansion he at least seems to be having fun.

I also knocked out the astrologian quests up through level 60, and I think they're pretty weak in terms of story. Yes, game, I get it. Ishgard are snobby jerks, Sharleyan are snobby jerks, Leveva has daddy issues and wants to teach astrology, Jannequinard is a horndog with a heart of gold, knight guy is also there. Everyone, ally and enemy, felt very shallow and that nothing much really happened during the story. I think setting the astrologians in Ishgard, from a writing perspective, was a mistake. I think Limsa Lominsa would have been the much more natural fit, an order of mages who study the stars would fit right in with a maritime culture given how important astronomy and star charting has historically been for sailors.

I agree on Ascians and AST storyline. And yeah, the Heavens' Ward was woefully underutilized.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I like Zenos quite a bit because a) he's a straightforward Imperial villain in contrast to Gaius, and b) he's reasonably menacing in the leveling experience and (at launch at least) wasn't a pushover at the end. Thought they did a solid job of minimizing ludonarrative dissonance. Nidhogg isn't dissimilar at Final Steps but he isn't built up as well (the only challenge with him in The Aery is whether pubbies burn adds).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vermain posted:

AST's storyline at least has some amusing characters and something resembling a plot. I still, to this day, could not tell you what the gently caress the PLD 50-60 story is about.

isk posted:

Nidhogg isn't dissimilar at Final Steps but he isn't built up as well (the only challenge with him in The Aery is whether pubbies burn adds).

To be fair, Nidhogg has one eye at The Aery and it isn't even his. When he gets his full power back at Final Steps, it's more dramatic.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So am I supposed to trade in these anemos crystals for protean crystals or keep them for some upgrade or other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thundarr posted:

So am I supposed to trade in these anemos crystals for protean crystals or keep them for some upgrade or other.
You'll need a bunch of them later so it seems like a scam

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

homeless snail posted:

You'll need a bunch of them later so it seems like a scam

Well that's good to know at least.

After like an hour and a half, i'm level 4 and have 3 protean crystals and 18 anemos crystals. I was just part of a party in a mob farming NMs because it seems that's all there is. Except I was so low that I got no xp or chain credit at all while waiting on the NMs so it was just incredibly boring with no meaningful evidence of progression most of the time.

There's a reason I haven't played this sort of game in a long, long time.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, Nidhogg has one eye at The Aery and it isn't even his. When he gets his full power back at Final Steps, it's more dramatic.

Yep! It's the issue - he gets by on presentation rather than challenge (which I don't think is a bad design choice in a group encounter during MSQ leveling; I just think Zenos is scarier).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
One nice thing about eureka is that you can do it as any class since the currency isn’t class restricted, so at least farming healing gear isn’t rear end

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Thundarr posted:

After like an hour and a half, i'm level 4 and have 3 protean crystals and 18 anemos crystals. I was just part of a party in a mob farming NMs because it seems that's all there is. Except I was so low that I got no xp or chain credit at all while waiting on the NMs so it was just incredibly boring with no meaningful evidence of progression most of the time.

Right, except that you get thousands of XP for each NM kill. I don't care how many chains happen, you still wind up with only a few dozen XP per kill. Farming regular mobs exclusively is the objectively wrong way to go about getting XP and crystals in Eureka.

For comparison, I started out farming static packs of mobs early Tuesday morning with groups, and I hit level 4 after about 4 hours with maybe a dozen protean crystals and zero anemos. When you need 36k XP to make level 8, getting there 48 XP at a time just doesn't cut it.

e: As of today, after turning all my anemos into protean, I've cleared over 650 protean crystals, and I haven't spent nearly as much time in Eureka as people had initially assumed for that number.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 15, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So is it bad to turn in the Anemos for Protean or not?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

If you're actively boarding the NM train, it's not a bad idea. Get however many you need/want. Convert the rest.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah, it seems like the correct way to do Eureka is to pretend the landscape mobs don't give XP and just focus on spawning the NMs (which is done by killing 100 of a particular mob type, see https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/845pnj/nms_so_far). Would have been nice if this was hinted at in any way whatsoever in game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm going with "set aside a couple hundred Anemos and burn the rest" and that seems to be the best answer. I'm only going for the shiny weapon for now, though. When they inevitable nerf this step it'll make grinding crystals easier and I can go back and get the dyeable armor then.

My glamour goal right now is getting everything I can from rabanastre because FFT was one of my favorite final fantasies and I love most of the outfits from there, plus stockpiling the coins probably isn't a bad idea.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Would have been nice if this was hinted at in any way whatsoever in game.

Speak with other players and share information to discover how to proceed!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I really hope SE stops trying to give these FFXI fanboys what they want. They'll never be satisfied and it takes development time away from the stuff the game does well like dungeons and such.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I mean as poo poo as Eureka is, the grind is completely frontloaded. It might take you 2 months to get your first relic. It'll take you a week to get the next, and so on.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah, NM trains are effective :stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vermain posted:

AST's storyline at least has some amusing characters and something resembling a plot. I still, to this day, could not tell you what the gently caress the PLD 50-60 story is about.

Solkzagyl, having recovered Oathkeeper, has also found out that it's pretty much lost its brilliance. He knows that the WoL is pretty much one of the best PLDs out there and would probably have the potential to restore it, but he couldn't just hand it over to them. So he stages his own death to cause the WoL to investigate, and in the process leaves behind a breadcrumb trail of his own armour pieces. This is in part also to encourage the training of another PLD with potential, Constaint.

At the culmination of the questline, you, Constaint and Jenlyns (from the 30-50 questline) reunite when you are confronted by Solkzagyl. Your soul crystals also begin shining; Solkzagyl explains that this is a battle of dominance (possibly as PLDs are an evolution of GLDs), and you have to face each other to increase the strength of the light within. You beat each of them in turn, and with the renewed strength of your light, is able to restore Oathkeeper to a measure of its glory.

With his convoluted task finished, Solkzagyl is able to have Jenlyns return Oathkeeper back to Ul'dah for safekeeping.

It's still needlessly complicated, but basically: 'I staged my own death to get you guys to become stronger so you can make this sword shiny again!'.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Solkzagyl, having recovered Oathkeeper, has also found out that it's pretty much lost its brilliance. He knows that the WoL is pretty much one of the best PLDs out there and would probably have the potential to restore it, but he couldn't just hand it over to them. So he stages his own death to cause the WoL to investigate, and in the process leaves behind a breadcrumb trail of his own armour pieces. This is in part also to encourage the training of another PLD with potential, Constaint.

At the culmination of the questline, you, Constaint and Jenlyns (from the 30-50 questline) reunite when you are confronted by Solkzagyl. Your soul crystals also begin shining; Solkzagyl explains that this is a battle of dominance (possibly as PLDs are an evolution of GLDs), and you have to face each other to increase the strength of the light within. You beat each of them in turn, and with the renewed strength of your light, is able to restore Oathkeeper to a measure of its glory.

With his convoluted task finished, Solkzagyl is able to have Jenlyns return Oathkeeper back to Ul'dah for safekeeping.

It's still needlessly complicated, but basically: 'I staged my own death to get you guys to become stronger so you can make this sword shiny again!'.

At least the 60-70 paladin quest line makes sense. Tournament arc!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

and my elves punchable.

What did I ever do to you? :smith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What did I ever do to you? :smith:

I play a wildwood elezen. :v: But it took a while for me to not instinctively want to punch every Ishgardian I met.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In fairness when you first get to Ishgard most of the elves deserve to be punched.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Been doing the nm hunt thing in Eureka, and this poo poo still sucks but it's bearable. There's my high praise for Eureka. It's bad but im stupid enough to do it anyway.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Eureka is bad.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

what's your ele level?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Its always funny to me when people on the very first day of new content are losing their minds because they seriously think it will take literal years to grind out the new currency.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

KoB posted:

Its always funny to me when people on the very first day of new content are losing their minds because they seriously think it will take literal years to grind out the new currency.

Verranicus posted:

Eureka is bad.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Mazed posted:

The Ascians are all annoying jobber midbosses and being unimpressed with them is the correct opinion.

But Elidibus, if he really is piloting Zombie Zenos, might be okay.

My going theory on Ed for a long time has been that he's wearing Gaius' body. He's ALWAYS had Garlean proportions. As for the other guy, we have never fought someone with the Echo who was able to die when they were killed. Zenos being UNABLE TO DIE may make him even more interesting.

Mazed posted:

All of the Mhach baddies were robbed.

We could've had an entire expansion on the contents of Mhach, and I hope we find out that we've merely banished their asses back to the 13th so we can run into the lot of them again someday.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
To make a long story short, Eureka is 17 months of development for a single cosmetic set.

Add to this, we got less content per patch, this was one of, if not the MAIN advertised feature of the expansion and what we got was a room to kill monsters in. Over. And over. And over. Mind-numbingly repetitive and simple. You are expected to do this for upwards of hundreds of hours, to get a single one of the cosmetic sets, which are previous content that is able to be palate swapped, and the weapon has a particle effect on it.

I'm going to go right out and say that eureka is a failure. It doesn't do enough, it doesn't accomplish it's goals, insomuch as it actually has any. It's hard to tell what the goals were, leading to half-serious remarks that it's a sick joke played on the people who have been asking the game to be more like FF11.

It also isn't what we were lead to imagine it being, they were notoriously tight-lipped about this content up until it's release day, and what we did get played into fantasies we didn't receive, such as tracking down intense monsters, and exploring a new, forbidden land. A lot of comparisons were made to monster hunter, and while we weren't given any reason to expect it would be something completely fresh, it failed at being much of anything judging by the surprised reaction most of the community had upon it's launch. The general consensus seems to be "That's it?".

I feel this is caused by two main issues, it's gameplay and it's rewards.

Gameplay

Eureka borrows HEAVILY from final fantasy XI (obviously.), in addition, it borrows from Ragnarok Online, Ultima, and Runescape in progression, though it focuses on group content that's very specific to XI.

The common thread in these games is they were/are MUCH slower paced. The core issue plaguing eureka is that FFXIV's combat is 100% active. Every 2.5 seconds, you must be pressing at least one to be doing much of anything in combat. Usually much more depending on the amount of ogcds your job has.

This demands a large amount of focus, meaning you can never really detach yourself from the game and just do it on autopilot, and even just pressing buttons without playing "optimally" takes enough focus that you'd rather just do it right and focus the rest of the way. This is fine, most of the time. Not every game needs to be mindless. But maintaining that level of focus for hours on end is exhausting, and eureka both encourages non-stop play with it's chain mechanics and also requires a LOT of hours to get anywhere, which goes against what the combat system is built for.

Fates and even Diadem didn't have this problem, at least not as drastically, for a number of reasons. (Both of these are also ridiculously unpopular and were despised during their periods of relevance)

Fates are usually short and are a burst of activity with downtime inbetween. Fates also are aoe, and ffxiv's aoe "rotations" are conspicuously mind numbingly simple compared to the very involved single target ones. This is likely held over from when fates were the main method of leveling.

Diadem had way more downtime than Eureka, and was as focused on map movement and finding things as it was grinding. It also had more gimmicks to it, and was still, again, very unpopular.

Eureka doesn't have any of these counterbalances, it encourages non-stop, fast pulls that are with small enough groups they encourage the far more taxing single-target rotations from players. Additionally, playing it optimally (Which people will always gravitate to) requires CC, another thing to keep track of on top of the constant gameplay.

FFXIV's mechanics at the very core do not work for the type of gameplay Eureka poses.

Rewards.

Eureka's reward scheme makes no sense for the amount of investment required.

There are three main reasons people will do grinds for long periods of time. Usually multiple goals coincide to make a grind that invests players. These factors are:

1) To accomplish an end goal Usually a grind will always do something to advance some main aspect of the game in games where a system like this is present, usually something far off that the player will do a variety of things along the way to achieve, examples would be leveling up in FFXI, getting to 99 in a skill in Runescape, etc. Gains of this type are usually an everpresent trickle that every single mob you kill adds to at a consistant rate. 2) As a means of producing short term gains. In most cases this is in the form of currency, whether it's tradable gold/gil/gp, nontradable gear currency such in WoW, or the like. This is usually something that occurs often, but is not as fast or consistant as 1). 3) To get something rare. This is the odd man out, in that stead of grinding a large amount of similar things, or using it as a consistant income, this is grinding to play the lottery on getting something special. The obvious example is farming for a rare item, such as grinding whelplings or other rare pets in WoW, or farming a for a unique, high value drop in Runescape.

Eureka manages impressively to fail at every single one of these factors in their own special way.

This is a general assessment of what comes from Eureka, but is not all-encompassing.

(Main Draws) - Elemental XP* - 4.x Relic* - Dyable Job Gear*

(Lockbox Loot) - Combat Materia V & VI - Demimateria I & II - A single glamour set (Gathering gear reskin)* - Fireworks (lmao) - T-rex mount* - Red Mage Barding* - Minions* - Music Rolls - Gil Pieces

This is what you can expect from investing in Eureka. Breaking it down into our catagories above, we can see that the elemental XP, the dyable job gear/4.x relic fall into the 1) and 2) categories neatly. There are issues with this, however.

Elemental XP has no use beyond a somewhat invisible scale of you being able to hit harder. There are no unlocks attached, there are no new skills or a real leveling experience, your abstract numbers just get bigger, and you can hit slightly different enemies. The gameplay doesn't change between level 1, level 6 (where most people stop) and it doesn't change after that, either.

Protean Crystals / Job Items are a different issue. These are long term goals. The issue is, these are essentially cosmetic items. For a single job. They have no objective use beyond a future relic, but there's no reason to get them now, especially when previous steps are generally nerfed. The five materia slots COULD have given the gear a potential use on jobs such as bard, but those classes are already spoiled for options on the stats they want. (Bard and BLM have access to a full crit or spellspeed left side, and those that don't raid won't notice a difference in which stat is on their 270 gear beyond personal taste.)

This isn't to say these items specifically needed to have a use. They didn't. They don't need to be better than raid gear. The issue comes when you realize from a gameplay perspective they're not of use to anybody. the gear is worse than tome gear, and everyone that's done o8 normal once a week has access to their 360 weapon the same week eureka launched. The timing makes no sense for this, especially since the weapons are 350 instead of being comprable to the capped tome weapon, like the HW relics were. It's even the case that a new player could likely go from being a fresh 70 to learning their class and also learning and farming byakko for a better weapon in a tenth of the time it would take to get a eureka weapon. Not everyone wants to do byakko though, and that's fine. A better comparison might be the palace of the dead weapons back in HW, but even those took vastly less time, and were still considered an awful grind.

Again, these items did not need to be relevant, either to raiders or non-raiders. what eureka DID need, though, was something to work for, or some reason to do it that is relevant to one of those, preferably non-raiders, to give them a progression path that isn't intimidating and doesn't require social knowledge, scheduled time investment and isn't a skill check. A reward that is in 99% of cases purely cosmetic being the capstone, the main focus of eureka, is not a good idea and does not give people a reason to invest in it.

The quickest and dirtiest route would have been just to give it tomestone rewards and job experience, to at least give people a reason to come back and do it even if they didn't need the relic, but it doesn't even have that. If you don't want the relic and you don't like the job gear or feel like you want to dye it enough to invest dozens to hundreds of hours into it, there's no reason to even touch eureka. There's no draw.

It's also notable that in previous expansions DoL / DoH gear was not locked to those jobs and could be freely used for glamour (with the exception of the class specific gear and ironworks, which was the endgame gear.) Dyable AF1 and AF2 was also far, far easier to get, as it should be. These were literally changed to put something in eureka, the gear in eureka is a solution to a problem manufactured to give eureka a use.

As for 3), eureka fails in a number of ways. There's not really any special unique items, because the t-rex mount and the orchestration songs and the minions are all of such limited use (You don't use mounts often around others so there's not much reason to show it off. Minions don't follow you into where people interact with the most players and spend the most time, and orchestration songs are songs.) that there's no social pressure to pursue them. These items are also extremely common and drop like candy, lessening the feeling of getting something special after you've gotten your third T-Rex Horn.

There's also no monetary incentive to eureka. There are no big, marketable rare drops. There's not a consistent income such as through crafting materials, cosmetic items or unique drops that are required in new recipes. The only real money that comes out of eureka are materia and demimateria, which are common enough to be cheap, but uncommon enough to not be a real method of making money. It's a minor bonus, if that.

In short, Eureka is exhausting and unfun to play, and there's no real draw to it either. The main pros to it are that it's new, it's not unplayable, and it has at least something to do. Most people I know, though, have already stopped unless they really want a relic weapon.

How it could be fixed.

I don't work at Square Enix. I don't know their pipelines or design ethos beyond what they've shown, but what they do put out is chaotic enough it's hard to ascertain any core principles. In everything outside of 8 man raids and the main story, they seem to take a concept, do the absolute minimum to put it out the door, then throw it out and if it's not popular (which it usually isn't), they never touch it again, or they'll do a single minor expansion on it, though this isn't always the case (Such as with PVP). Because of this, I am not a position of authority and I do not think I could "Do it better" than them, as I am not in Yoshi P's position.

That said, Eureka is egregious, and the problems with it are very clear to me, so it's easy for me to point out A solution to some of the problems, but it's not my place to determine whether it's the absolute best one. I can only look at the surface side of some of the worst aspects and give band-aid fixes to make the content possibly more palatable.

That out of the way, the first thing they need to do to make Eureka more than functional is to commit to it.

By that I mean, this type of content (I will be calling it the "Forbidden Land" series) needs to be a permanent, primary gameplay fixture of the game and take up a portion of the focus of the team, instead of being a minor minigame with one weapon and some dyable armor attached. It needs to be the main alternative to the expert dungeons > 8 man normals > extreme primals content pathway. It doesn't need to supercede or even run parallel to Savage Mode, as that's It's Own Thing.

In doing this, the most important change I would say to make Forbidden Lands in their current design function would be to give it it's own minor battle system changes, similar to how PVP actions work.

This might seem drastic, but it's really not. Here's the reason why:

It wouldn't take much retooling of abilities, and almost no new assets. What would need to be done would be to drastically slow down the pace of combat within Eureka, and likely by automating it to an extent.

I'd say this is nearly necessary in it's current form, because a lot of what makes grinding games fun isn't just that they aren't tiring to play, but because they give you time to do other things. Usually the reason that games like FFXI are so fondly remembered is because of the rich community and socializing with strangers. The gameplay encouraged this, because the slow, methodical pace of combat gave ample room to chat and talk while playing, instead of having to choose between typing and fighting. It's a tangent, but part of the reason I think socialization has fallen in modern MMOs is because the increasing pace of gameplay and the more hands on focus forces players to choose between socializing and achieving things, making socialization feel like a waste of time or a burden. Giving room in the gameplay to socialize with other players would radicially reduce the burnout assosciated with the content.

There's no hard way to do this, but some possibilities could be: 1) Focusing damage into player auto attacks, and vastly reducing the amount of activated abilities and the rate at which they're used, while also increasing the effectiveness heavily, giving MUCH more weight to each single action. This could be accomplished by tuning the TP system to be generated by auto attacks and have MP regen much slower, and also increase the cooldowns on abilities, greatly lessening the amount of decisions and reducing the exhaustion that comes with executing a 15+ button rotation constantly for hours on end, but would maintain or increase the skill factor and leave room for optimal and suboptiomal play, albeit in a far more strategic and thoughtful sense rather than a mechanical one. This would push combat in the direction of FFXI.

2) Letting players construct an automated timeline of basic abilities, similar to the Revolution system in modern runescape. This system automatically executes a skill each gcd based on a priority system. The first ability listed is picked first, if it's not avaliable to cast it picks the next, and so on. In addition, the player has access to larger abilities which have long cooldowns or fufillment conditions, and are only executed manually, instead of on the priority system. This lets the player still have agency over their character, but lessens the focus required. This could be retooled for final fantasy, possibly as a hard timeline / cast order, rather than a priority system, but would likely still require some retooling of abilities.

Regardless of the route it would take, an additional change should be made. A focus on group-based abilities and gameplay.

Eureka is based on FFXI, and FFXI is a social experience. Part of that is the coordination required in parties, to maintain buffs, manage skillchains and other group mechanics. Another reason to slow down combat and give more weight to actions is to allow the and discussion and strategy necessary for mechanics like this to be viable to take place.

I'm not sure what exactly those changes would be, but some starts might be Skillchains and making buffs and debuffs consistent and important.

The changes to rewards are less development focused, and would likely be assuaged heavily by giving tomestones and job experience as rewards in eureka, allowing people to level alts inside it and tieing it loosely into endgame progression. This is a REALLY rough bandaid, and doesn't fix all the issues, but it at least gives a reason to keep doing it. That said, Eureka really needs some non-cosmetic rewards, some big things to work towards that are consistantly useful-whether that's an alternate progression track to tome gear and normal raids or something else, but that can come later in future content patches. Additionally, any changed abilities and group content features should be tied into the elemental experience system, to give a solid feeling of constant progression and evolving gameplay.

That said, these are still drastic changes, and would take dev time. It would also radically departure eureka from what final fantasy XIV is, and make it feel much more like a microcosm in itself rather than a different zone. It would have far less overlap gameplay-wise with the rest of the game, which I am sure is a concern.

Having the gameplay be different than the main game is risky, but it's less my point that "Final fantasy XIV's gameplay is broken and bad", and more my point that eureka's type of content is completely opposed to XIV's gameplay, and the two do not work well together. For this to be palatable content, one of the two needs to be changed.

If Eureka itself is changed, it's likely going to feel far more samey and like the same shovelware content we get in XIV, and have little difference from dungeons/fates/diadem/etc. I don't think this is what players want, and I think it will make eureka LESS liked and even more dead if it goes that route. Eureka currently has a lot of potential, and should be expanded on in the ways that make it different and a unique experience, rather than making it the same as the rest of the game. Notice that nowhere in this have I complained about the length and the time investment inherent in the grind, as many others have. I think these are fine of themselves, as long as it feels like there's a reason to invest the time in it, and like you're making progress even when you can only play in stints of a few hours.

A shakeup and a fresh, real addition gameplay variety and loop of the overall experience of the game would do a lot to keep people who have gotten sick of the standard tome grind, three dungeons, four raid floors and a primal loop we've had since A Realm Reborn launched, and it's good to go in that direction.

The very involved and unique crafting system, The changes to PVP, the addition of Revenant Wings, the minigames like triple triad, chocobo racing and lords of verminion also show that square isn't completely opposed to changing the gameplay to suit the content better, and that it's much better for the content to drive how it's played. I think that's important. The problem is they don't expand on any of those and leave them by the wayside half-formed, the only things that get the focus they really deserve are 8 mans and the MSQ.

A variety in gameplay styles, and letting the gameplay match the content to let both shine more also goes a long way to setting FFXIV apart from the crowd of MMOs. That said, IT'S IMPERATIVE that it still feels part of XIV, even if the gameplay is a different style. Past content that changes the gameplay, especially lords of verminion and PVP have maintained this, so even if the combat is nothing like it is in dungeons and raids, it really shouldn't be an issue as long as those features don't lose focus. It would be a shame if the game was remembered in ten years as "That final fantasy-themed WoW clone that didn't really do anything special, but had some really good boss fights."

tldr: eureka loving sucks and it's never going to fit in this game unless either the gameplay or the content changes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i know its an OF post but lol no ones reading that

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still waiting for them to condense down combo skills into a single shortcut press, like in PvP. That'll be the ultimate patch for me. Barring that, let people set them up themselves without using macros.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'll admit I'd be a lot more apt to actually give Dragoon a try if I could just condense each of their combo strings down to a button. I leveled it to 50 once upon a time and even then the button bloat didn't feel good.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I know the joke is that it's a long post, but they aren't wrong.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'll admit I'd be a lot more apt to actually give Dragoon a try if I could just condense each of their combo strings down to a button. I leveled it to 50 once upon a time and even then the button bloat didn't feel good.

It's not too bad but yeah, my hotbar is a nightmare of buttons and I'd love to condense it down. It's no easy thing since some combos can branch off of different abilities (like with Monk) but I think it'd be worth exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I really wish you would stop this.