Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

And no one believes this is for any reason other than Tillerson embarrassing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They get to murder people a lot too, especially black people and drunk guys crying in hotel hallways, they love that poo poo

This is a new one to me

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I mean, it's pretty obvious at this point that Russia wants everyone to know they were behind it, so Trump acknowledging it is no big deal. The question is wether the administration will DO anything about it.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 15, 2018

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

No Butt Stuff posted:

She's an old and should be primaried.

Might want to give Kevin de León a hand with his phone banking, then.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Aramis posted:

I mean, it's pretty obvious at this point that Russia wants everyone to know they were being it, so Trump acknowledging it is no big deal. The question is wether the administration will DO anything about it.

So on several fronts the administration is appearing to do what an administration should do when confronted with Russia's activities. The Treasury sanctions announcement and this admission feel like a bit of a shift towards, at a minimum, playing service to the idea that Russia should be responded to. Not sure what to make of it.

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 15, 2018

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nail Rat posted:

This is a new one to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OflGwyWcft8

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Edit: And there it is ^^^

Nail Rat posted:

This is a new one to me

Look up the Daniel Shaver shooting. The video is the kind of stuff that keeps you up at night.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nosre posted:

Hah. Are we at the acceptance point where we can post SUPER SLAM gifs for stuff like this???

I mean, conservatives were supporting TPP and most democrats and leftists opposing it since the first draft leak, this isn't really some 'told you so!'

I even remember Daily Show coverage pointing that out specifically as "here is the most bizarre thing about Obama's trade deal".

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

AhhYes posted:

So on several fronts the administration is appearing to do what an administration should do when confronted with Russia's activities. The Treasury sanctions announcement and this admission feel like a bit of a shift towards, at a minimum, playing service to the idea that Russia should be responded to. Not sure what to make of it.

Do as little as possible to maintain appearence and not arouse suspicion.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Caros posted:

Eh, my dad bounced probably a dozen people out of his restaurant over the course of a decade. Police tend to side with business owners who eject people unless there is something seriously hosed up, because they generally don't pick a fight in their place of business for no loving reason.

Though to be fair, most times it was the rear end in a top hat throwing the first punch.

Assuming his resturant wasn't owned by Brinker or Darden like the majority of chains? because you absolutely can not get away with that.

I had some kids throw rocks at cars and when I told them to stop, throw rocks at me (it's cool, I as inside) and we didn't ask them the leave.

The only time I remember anyone being kicked out (or asked to leave in an angry, angry tone) is when this old guy physically grabbed my rear end.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Sean posted:

Thread seems really loving angry today. This video made me upset as well but I feel like we're cannibalizing eachother instead of educating. Content is on point but delivery is harsh.
vvvvvvvv WaPo's paywall is blocking the content for me and the wall is not see-through enough. Share the deets?

Eh, there's a lot going on there and I'd like to know more than the 2 minute clip before I go calling people spawns of satan or poor innocent angels. Just because the manager was fired doesn't mean anything more than the theater owners trying to smooth over their side because they aren't dumb, right or wrong that video would stir up a lot of hate towards them if they did nothing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

This is a new one to me

Daniel Shavers. He dicked around with an airsoft rifle (used to kill pigeons as an exterminator) on his hotel balcony. A nearby guest saw him and called police.

Police found him in the hallway, held him at gunpoint for upwards of twenty minutes while he sobbed in terror. They shouted contradictory instructions (Hands up, now crawl towards me) and threatened to murder this sobbing, terrified man if he hosed up. Them his pants started to fall down due to be ing told to crawl on his knees. He tried to grab him and they shot him to death.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

It's really okay to consider she may just be a disruptive rear end regardless of her race. Black people can be assholes too. That doesn't mean what the manager said was right, nor that racial bias was 100% not involved, or that police never initiate force faster than necessary. But I don't know man, saying 100% of cops are always fascists for removing someone from private property for disruptive behavior after repeated verbal requests seems a bit extreme! Maybe I'm just turning into a law and order conservative for thinking the implied alternative isn't terribly realistic.

Human rights > property rights. It's never okay to attack a nonviolent person simply for refusing to leave a building or follow orders, barring some absurd situation like the building is burning down and its the only way to save their life. And no, "being black" does not count as an absurd situation, I promise you don't need to worry that every black person is always on the verge of hmm well what do the posters at chimpout.com call it?

Xequecal posted:

It's completely different if you're a cop. Your job as a cop is to enforce the law. Once you get called in, you absolutely should not waste time trying to talk defiant criminals down. If they're breaking the law and refuse to stop, you arrest them.

Wtf why.

Cops should never try to deescalate a situation? They should just immediately attack?

Do you ever think for a second that because of a misunderstanding that this could affect you too? Or are you just assuming you're the kind of person that will always get the benefit of the doubt so it doesn't matter if *ahem* other types of people are attacked right off the bat.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 15, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I thought leftists were against banking. :smuggo:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Cops should never try to deescalate a situation? They should just immediately attack?

Do you ever think for a second that because of a misunderstanding that this could affect you too?

White people never think it will happen to them until they are daniel shaver

Caros
May 14, 2008

Koalas March posted:

Assuming his resturant wasn't owned by Brinker or Darden like the majority of chains? because you absolutely can not get away with that.

I had some kids throw rocks at cars and when I told them to stop, throw rocks at me (it's cool, I as inside) and we didn't ask them the leave.

The only time I remember anyone being kicked out (or asked to leave in an angry, angry tone) is when this old guy physically grabbed my rear end.

Self owned, which is the difference. Police aren't going to hastle you either way if you are an owner, but in a chain resteraunt you'd absolutely be done in a heartbeat, I agree.

We didn't even kick out actual thieves without the police when I used to work at a drug store. Course, in that instance we got a test subject in why, after a good samaratin tried to catch a thief who stole a display laptop and took a thrown pair of needle nose pliers to the face as a result.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Chaos Personified posted:

It doesn't matter who's property it was on. The manager needs to be the one to deny her entry, not the police for it to be trespassing. If the cop claimed public disturbance or disorderly conduct, he might have the slightest chance of not coming across as not assaulting the woman. That he went with trespassing as his excuse shows that he was only interested in punishing the woman for disrespecting him. The woman had not been ejected from the theater, so she wasn't trespassing. A theater has implied consent to enter, so unless the owner actively denies the person entry, they are not trespassing.

The manager delegated his authority to the cop in the actual video. He's allowed to do that, I assure you the security guards at your local theater are allowed to throw you out of there without calling the actual owner first. Even if the cop actually was just throwing her off the property entirely to satisfy his own ego, once he's been given the authority to decide who stays and who goes, he's actually allowed to do that. If you don't like it, you need to take it up with the owner. Unless they eject you specifically because you're a member of a protected class they don't have to justify it, they can do it for any or no reason.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Caros posted:

Daniel Shavers. He dicked around with an airsoft rifle (used to kill pigeons as an exterminator) on his hotel balcony. A nearby guest saw him and called police.

Police found him in the hallway, held him at gunpoint for upwards of twenty minutes while he sobbed in terror. They shouted contradictory instructions (Hands up, now crawl towards me) and threatened to murder this sobbing, terrified man if he hosed up. Them his pants started to fall down due to be ing told to crawl on his knees. He tried to grab him and they shot him to death.

I don't give a poo poo if that guy is wearing a badge, that's straight up murder. And I bet he gets off too. I've seen this already so I'm not watching it again but yeah, gently caress that cop.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Xequecal posted:

But when you did this, you were an employee of the establishment that you were throwing people out of. The establishment has a vested interest in playing nice if at all possible, and would definitely prefer you talk belligerents down if at all possible. That's why the theater fired this manager, he escalated the situation immediately when they probably would have wanted him to try and talk the women down first.

It's completely different if you're a cop. Your job as a cop is to enforce the law. Once you get called in, you absolutely should not waste time trying to talk defiant criminals down. If they're breaking the law and refuse to stop, you arrest them.

Dude, this is loving dumb. Police should always try to descalate a situation. It is safer for everyone involved to have the officer talk a person into cuffs than to body slam them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Xequecal posted:

The manager delegated his authority to the cop in the actual video. He's allowed to do that, I assure you the security guards at your local theater are allowed to throw you out of there without calling the actual owner first. Even if the cop actually was just throwing her off the property entirely to satisfy his own ego, once he's been given the authority to decide who stays and who goes, he's actually allowed to do that. If you don't like it, you need to take it up with the owner. Unless they eject you specifically because you're a member of a protected class they don't have to justify it, they can do it for any or no reason.

Why are you white-knighting a cop who assaulted a teenage girl?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Why are you white-knighting a cop who assaulted a teenage girl?

He's from Texas.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

jet sanchEz posted:

I drive a bus in a large city and if I touch anyone, I can be charged with assault. You must have worked in the restaurant industry a long time ago...

about 12 years ago

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Honestly I don’t think confirming Haspel will make a functional difference. She already made it to second in command in the CIA and everyone knows her record. It obviously made no difference in her career trajectory and she was likely directing a lot of poo poo already as second in command.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I sincerely hope that someday in the future Michael requires life saving surgery and opts to have the procedure done by a random guy who doesn't understand anatomy and has never performed a single medical procedure instead of an actual surgeon (because hey, lots of people die under the care of surgeons so they don't really serve us well).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FateFree posted:

If there is a great filter its more likely that its still in front of us. My vote is machine sentience. Once we interface with the brain and start uploading our consciousness to machines and making virtual paradises (that may seem to last infinitely long) there's probably no desire to do anything else until the sun explodes.

Why is it more likely ahead of us? we can look at history and see that there was literally exactly one step that seemed to present any difficulty or resistance. It's clearly that.

Life appeared in a few million years, from nerves to rocket ships is a few million years, from humans to civilization was less than a million years, every step was basically as fast as is imaginable, which implies that even if we were above average fast that it just happens easy. Except for cells to multicellular which took 3 billion years. It's clearly the great filter. It's clearly the step that was very hard and could have just never gone through. Everything else could have taken ten times as long or even 100 times as long (or happened and failed and had to rehappen) and not really have mattered. Multicellular life is the only thing that was ever any sort of apparent barrier.

Even if we all play world of warcraft all day in the future all it takes is one super space amish team ever to make a von neumann probe and ruin that as a great filter.

The formation of multicellular life is the only thing where if we are in the top 10% that it would mean we get to be among the first. Everything else could try and fail countless times before success or happen way slower and still be fine.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

I don't give a poo poo if that guy is wearing a badge, that's straight up murder. And I bet he gets off too. I've seen this already so I'm not watching it again but yeah, gently caress that cop.

Aquitted of all charges, yeah. Welcome to America.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

VH4Ever posted:

He was already acquitted.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

VH4Ever posted:

He was acquitted in December.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

he already got off, and his gun had the words "YOU'RE hosed" engraved on it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xequecal posted:

Here's a question: without weighing on the legality of what the cop did, do you believe his action was the right thing to do?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

He's from Texas.

Also 99.9% sure they are white

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

White people never think it will happen to them until they are daniel shaver

Schrödinger's cop. When he's cracking black people's skulls for talking too loud he's just upholding respect for the law, the very basis of civilized society.

When he's writing me a ticket for rolling through a stop sign he's a fat lazy power-tripping dick who's wasting my time when there are real criminals to catch.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Authoritarians fall back on "legality" since they 100% agree with the actions but understand it's a bad look to say cops body slamming teenagers for [insert meaningless misdemeanor] is a great thing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Here's a question: without weighing on the legality of what the cop did, do you believe his action was the right thing to do?

I really feel that this gets lost in discussion of law enforcement way too often. What is legal isn't always what is right, and given the option I think everyone would prefer police who aim to be good rather than hiding behind 'what I did was legal'.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

And the signed picture of GHWB shaking the owners hand is still up in that restaurant to this day.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

This is the United States of America we are talking about here. The expectation that people should be rules lawyering in order to extract the maximum personal advantage out of the system is literally at the core of the social fabric.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

I really feel that this gets lost in discussion of law enforcement way too often. What is legal isn't always what is right, and given the option I think everyone would prefer police who aim to be good rather than hiding behind 'what I did was legal'.

Right.

I like to imagine how I would do my job if my only standard for the quality of my work was "what I am doing is not explicitly a crime"

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Xequecal posted:

This mindset is the exact reason why there's so many innocent people shot by cops in this country. This mindset is part of the problem. You're part of the problem.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Maybe Donnie is concern that Russia will do more housecleaning for fathers and daughters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm not saying they're perfect or that it always happens but de-escalation training is highly emphasised in the teaching of UK police.

• Locked thread