Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Someone make a drat thread about the police and post it endlessly in here. We have the president actually lying to our neighbors head of state and bragging about it and instead we are going endlessly about police brutality

It's all related. Our unhealthy idea of masculinity is the biggest factor that influences violence committed in, and by, this country. From domestic violence to lying to the PM of Canada, private and Police murder to drone bombings and forever wars, its all the same.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

guns are incompatible with the engagement profile of real world self defense scenarios

Can you elaborate?

duodenum posted:

This kind of poo poo doesn't help any sort of cause. Am I seeing something wrong?

The manager asked them to leave, they refused. They are now trespassing. The police officer said that very thing. She wasn't arrested for making a video. If the manager made a bad/racist decision, he should see consequences. The manager was fired, but the girls can also sue him and maybe the theater civilly if they feel their rights have been infringed and can win a settlement.

She was arrested for 'trespassing' and 'resisting arrest'.

To be clear: she was asked to leave, but she was not loitering as her children were inside and she was waiting for them to come out.

However, that police officer was off duty, working security at the movie theater. Yes, he was allowed to wear his uniform while off duty working for someone else. However, he is not allowed to make an arrest, and must first contact on-duty cops.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

That didn't help Dylan Roof when he went to the church beforehand.

Beaten on this, but DR had second thoughts that day because the group he assumed was The Enemy was accepting of him, creepy bowl cut and all. If it only took one visit for him to get second thoughts then he certainly would have benefited from more. That's the point and case for Integration Vs. Segregation.

IMO this applies to police brutality in general as well; it's no surprise that police brutality and executions have risen right alongside lower and lower on-foot patrols and community events. The cops in Ferguson didn't even live there, let alone patrol.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Xequecal posted:

http://nation.time.com/2013/06/13/when-you-can-kill-in-texas/

Now, I certainly don't agree with this law. But it's a real thing.

You're a literal idiot and naive as all hell. Bad laws are lovely and should be done away with, and the response when people/cops use bad laws as an excuse or try to hide behind laws to do something lovely shouldn't be "Well its the law, they should have obeyed better".

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Glazier posted:

It's all related. Our unhealthy idea of masculinity is the biggest factor that influences violence committed in, and by, this country. From domestic violence to lying to the PM of Canada, private and Police murder to drone bombings and forever wars, its all the same.

To expand on that so is white supremacy. White supremacy and Trump are instrinscly related.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Ten CoMAGAments:

1. Thou shalt not have any allies before Big Daddy Vladdy.
2. Thou shalt idolize thyself, and let no other come before you.
3. Thou shalt remember the steak, and keep it crispy.
4. Thou shalt not commit adultery make sure thy checks clear on time.
5. Thou shalt honor thy wedge and thy putter.
6. Thou shalt not acknowledge murder (unless committed by brown people).
7. Thou shalt steal what thou covets and rebrand as thy own.
8. Thou shalt bear false tweets whenever convenient.
9. Thou shalt not take the name of Hillary from out thy mouth.
10. When all else fails, wing it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

To expand on that so is white supremacy. White supremacy and Trump are instrinscly related.

Absolutely, if I was making a hierarchy it would be so difficult to decide if racism or toxic masculinity should be #1 or #2.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Took me a second to grab but see also: The First White President: The foundation of Donald Trump’s presidency is the negation of Barack Obama’s legacy.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Beaten on this, but DR had second thoughts that day because the group he assumed was The Enemy was accepting of him, creepy bowl cut and all. If it only took one visit for him to get second thoughts then he certainly would have benefited from more. That's the point and case for Integration Vs. Segregation.

IMO this applies to police brutality in general as well; it's no surprise that police brutality and executions have risen right alongside lower and lower on-foot patrols and community events. The cops in Ferguson didn't even live there, let alone patrol.

Yeah a lot of people forget that after one hour of chilling with these easy going church folks he almost changed his mind.

This is why humanizing poc is so important.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One day. One day, magical video will exist that shows a black person going to sleep, right hours later waking up and going about their daily business, then getting harassed by and murdered by a police officer, in one continuous shot so we know exactly what happened at all times and we won't have to ask "Yeah but what happened in the minutes before video turned on?"

Instead we can ask "But why didn't he keep his hands on the wheel the whole time?"

"Why was a camera recording him for sixteen continuous hours? That's suspicious/convenient"

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 15, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Instead we can ask "But why didn't he keep his hands on the wheel the whole time?"

Or "well, he did fit the description of a suspect reported in the area..." That's always a popular one too.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Xequecal posted:

http://nation.time.com/2013/06/13/when-you-can-kill-in-texas/

Now, I certainly don't agree with this law. But it's a real thing.

TYFAWM.

As a life-long Texan, I'm aware of what the law says and I'm saying that when you said "If this had occurred in Texas, since it's nighttime, that manager could have 100% legally drawn a gun and shot her in the head" is wrong and stupid because its not what the law says.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I feel masculinity is often blamed without consideration that it's often the expectations of masculinity that are typically at fault; a lot of trigger happy cops are likely egged on to not "be a pussy" and be gung-ho with guns by their peers and police culture in general. Nobody on any political side has respect for the meter maids, whereas even the left has a fearful respect of the dark blue vest-and-rifle cops.

I don't know if that would be any different if say, you replaced that culture with a feminity clone. They'd just say "dont be a dyke" for being willing to de-escalating a situation personally confronting potential threats instead of blowing heads off.

Testosterone and estrogen are just hormones, after all. Neither are healthy in excess.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Neurolimal posted:

That said I I think the fault of a lot of D&D derails comes not from the person "concern trolling" (in good or bad faith) but a failure on those who engage to redirect the derail, be it to an appropriate thread or, in this case, the heart of the matter (that what the officer did was wrong).

this is actually an extremely good post about posting and I will try to bear it more in mind in the future

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PT6A posted:

Or "well, he did fit the description of a suspect reported in the area..." That's always a popular one too.

"I was scared for my life and acted in self-defense. I know that one bullet coulda done the job but I had to make sure, like 15 times. You know how it is."

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Glazier posted:

Absolutely, if I was making a hierarchy it would be so difficult to decide if racism or toxic masculinity should be #1 or #2.

I don't know about that. I read a lot of the New York Times and it seems to me that our biggest issue is a lack of civility and the rampant closemindedness of college students and twitterers.

Racism and toxic masculinity are definitely #2 and #3 though.

Neurolimal posted:

I feel masculinity is often blamed without consideration that it's often the expectations of masculinity that are typically at fault; a lot of trigger happy cops are likely egged on to not "be a pussy" and be gung-ho with guns by their peers and police culture in general. Nobody on any political side has respect for the meter maids, whereas even the left has a fearful respect of the dark blue vest-and-rifle cops.

I don't know if that would be any different if say, you replaced that culture with a feminity clone. They'd just say "dont be a dyke" for being willing to de-escalating a situation personally confronting potential threats instead of blowing heads off.

Testosterone and estrogen are just hormones, after all. Neither are healthy in excess.
The rare #NotAllMen/:biotruths: combo. So rare to see in the wild!

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 15, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Neurolimal posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Toxic masculinity isn't caused by an excess of testosterone, it's caused by a society that pressures people to act in a certain way.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

PT6A posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Toxic masculinity isn't caused by an excess of testosterone, it's caused by a society that pressures people to act in a certain way.

Which is what I said. I guess it just comes from a personal definition of masculinity.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Toxic Masculinity is caused by janitors being involved in industrial accidents.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Which is what I said. I guess it just comes from a personal definition of masculinity.

Then why did you mention neither testosterone nor estrogen being healthy in excess? Hormones have nothing to do with the issue.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are we sure Trump actually lied about Canada? It’s probably just as likely that he just didn’t know what he was talking about and then did a Puppet Master defense to save face.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

The rare #NotAllMen/:biotruths: combo. So rare to see in the wild!

??? I didn't say "not all men" though. On the contrary, the aggressive culture and demands of society apply pressure on all men towards sociopathy. I just don't consider this unique to a masculine-dominant culture. Nor did I suggest biotruths; if anything I'm saying that men are not uniquely sociopathic.

PT6A posted:

Then why did you mention neither testosterone nor estrogen being healthy in excess? Hormones have nothing to do with the issue.

Just me running on for too long; I have pretty harsh ADD that is successfully kept in check with adderall, but it doesn't stop me from thinking about mostly untelated poo poo while writing.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 15, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
If anyone wants to derail about something else now that isn't talking about trump I just finished building a legend of zelda puzzle box and it's very cool and talking about that would be way better than whatever the hell this thread is about right now.

https://streamable.com/uikbi

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

VH4Ever posted:

EDIT

Makes me wonder how many frothing angry, screaming phone calls her offices have fielded in the last 48 hours. Must have been a lot.

Mine was one (minus the screaming, the aide who took my call was very nice). Felt really loving good.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are we sure Trump actually lied about Canada? It’s probably just as likely that he just didn’t know what he was talking about and then did a Puppet Master defense to save face.

Por que no los dos?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

??? I didn't say "not all men" though. On the contrary, the aggressive culture and demands of society apply pressure on all men towards sociopathy. I just don't consider this unique to a masculine-dominant culture. Nor did I suggest biotruths; if anything I'm saying that men are not uniquely sociopathic.

Just me running on for too long; I have pretty harsh ADD that is successfully kept in check with adderall, but it doesn't stop me from thinking about mostly untelated poo poo while writing.

Just take the L and move on.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Glazier posted:

For some people I’ve met those two things are actually one and the same for them. I’ve met white people who aren’t making ends meet or can’t properly provide for their family and be “a real man” and then go on to blame it on black people for affirmative action or something something welfare queens. For a lot of white people their masculinity is tied to being in a higher economic class then the poor people and because of the systematic racism in our hosed up country they’ve internalized people of color = poor lower class people. It’s basically become for these people that to be a real men they have to have more money/be better off then black people

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

PT6A posted:

Ok I told this story before but when this comes up it bears repeating. When I was in highschool I was taking EMT classes at the local community college for extra credit with other kids in my grade. It's two periods so we're in between classes for a smoke break and its me and some other friends (aka 2 black males) and a bunch of dudes surround us with their guns drawn. I only see the first guy and think we're getting mugged until I see the badge hanging off his neck. They arrested all of us and take us back to the station.

Apparently "some people" were breaking into cars in the area, and we "matched the description". All of us got kicked out of school for zero tolerance policy, even though they let us go and admitted we didn't do anything. Which is why I have a GED and not a highschool diploma. Which I would've had, with extra credits towards college tacked on.

So a bunch of cops totally ruined our academic careers because racism. Yes I am still loving bitter about it.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Claims of ignorance are too often used to avoid responsibility.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/974306106527928320?s=19

The bowling ball stunt haunts Trump's thoughts.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Man, gently caress that school.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Isn't that from that michael keaton movie where they have to build enough cars to keep the japanese from shutting down their plant?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vladimir Putin posted:

Honestly I don’t think confirming Haspel will make a functional difference. She already made it to second in command in the CIA and everyone knows her record. It obviously made no difference in her career trajectory and she was likely directing a lot of poo poo already as second in command.

Now is an opportunity for the activist post-2016 left to make toturr an issue again. They might force her through anyway but now is a good time to scream about it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

We send a car to Japan, they analyze it for four weeks before they decide to send it back because it’s not environmentally friendly. … One of the car companies actually had a car made and it was the most environmentally perfect car, cost them a fortune. They spent a fortune. … But they wanted to see if they could get it in [to Japan]. And it, they were going crazy. Four days went by. Then five days. And they were ready to approve it and they said, no, no, we have to do one more test. It’s called the bowling-ball test, do you know what that is? That’s where they take a bowling ball from 20 feet up in the air and they drop it on the hood of the car. And if the hood dents, then the car doesn’t qualify. Well, guess what, the roof dented a little bit, and they said, nope, this car doesn’t qualify. It’s horrible, the way we’re treated. It’s horrible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.e07e53d3e483

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

FizFashizzle posted:

Isn't that from that michael keaton movie where they have to build enough cars to keep the japanese from shutting down their plant?

"Gung Ho", but I don't remember that scene.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Koalas March posted:

Ok I told this story before but when this comes up it bears repeating. When I was in highschool I was taking EMT classes at the local community college for extra credit with other kids in my grade. It's two periods so we're in between classes for a smoke break and its me and some other friends (aka 2 black males) and a bunch of dudes surround us with their guns drawn. I only see the first guy and think we're getting mugged until I see the badge hanging off his neck. They arrested all of us and take us back to the station.

Apparently "some people" were breaking into cars in the area, and we "matched the description". All of us got kicked out of school for zero tolerance policy, even though they let us go and admitted we didn't do anything. Which is why I have a GED and not a highschool diploma. Which I would've had, with extra credits towards college tacked on.

So a bunch of cops totally ruined our academic careers because racism. Yes I am still loving bitter about it.

That's incredibly lovely and I'm really sorry you had/have to deal with it. gently caress cops and their fanboys.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is completely loving insanity.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Nothus posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/974306106527928320?s=19

The bowling ball stunt haunts Trump's thoughts.

Gorilla channel is real.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Koalas March posted:

I honestly can't even comprehend of a school that actually just straight up expels you for getting arrested once with no charges even being filed. I got a MIP in 11th grade and certainly didn't get expelled for it, if getting arrested was instant expulsion a third of my graduating class wouldn't have made it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
https://twitter.com/AP/status/974292130205196289?s=19

:psyduck: