Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

wasnt xenoblade x all terrible buttrock

Yes and it fuckin' owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dehry posted:

https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/atelier/lydie/live3/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRRNwZNNaNM

I guess this is the Gust livestream for 2018. Tuesday Morning for the US east coast.

I guess they're not dead just yet...?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

They'll reveal a tombstone that just says "GUST" on it.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

chumbler posted:

After Xenoblade X, I am of the opinion that Sawano should do all soundtracks.

Good, good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone know anything about The Alliance Alive? Amazon's trying to recommend it to me and it looks like just a 3 or 4 party JRPG.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone know anything about The Alliance Alive? Amazon's trying to recommend it to me and it looks like just a 3 or 4 party JRPG.

it's by the devs who did the mediocre The Legend of Legacy is all i know about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a demo on the eShop, it seemed okay until it crashed after the boss fight which worried me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also has the Suikoden writer on it.

There's a demo on the eShop, too.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
so for the first time in my life i own a computer that can play video games properly and now want to explore steam and catch up on games that i missed/got better on PC, so i have some questions:

- Alpha Protocol is good on PC? Is it a mod thing?
- Same with the Last Remnant. It was bad on the XBOX but everyone said its way better on PC?
- Are the NIS srpgs in English? I assume they are but theres a bit of moontext in the descriptions and I'm learning that Steam is strange, gross, and overwhelming so I dunno!!

also don't tell me to get the Trails games, Sky 1 is the first thing I bought :3:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

get Sky 2 + 3

I thought Alpha Protocol was fine without any mods. I just had to go stealth/pistols to eliminate most of the gameplay headaches.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 15, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

tenderjerk posted:

so for the first time in my life i own a computer that can play video games properly and now want to explore steam and catch up on games that i missed/got better on PC, so i have some questions:

- Same with the Last Remnant. It was bad on the XBOX but everyone said its way better on PC?
- Are the NIS srpgs in English? I assume they are but theres a bit of moontext in the descriptions and I'm learning that Steam is strange, gross, and overwhelming so I dunno!!

also don't tell me to get the Trails games, Sky 1 is the first thing I bought :3:

Alpha Protocol is fine on PC. It's unreal engine, so your computer can handle it for sure.

Last Remnant is weird. The combat is better on PC but the quests and stuff aren't so if you didn't like those or whatever it's not any better now

I know nothing about NIS

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

tenderjerk posted:

Alpha Protocol is not going to be significantly different than it was on consoles. You will like it or hate it due to the same things.

From what I understand, Last Remnant PC has some changes that make the game more bearable, but I haven't played it on console and I didn't like it on PC so I can't help with what might've changed.

The NIS srpgs on Steam are in English. Steam doesn't allow different versions of store pages for different language versions, so it all gets jumbled together. If a game doesn't have a version in your language, Steam generally puts a orange-bordered warning box next to the purchase button, like so:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The only thing you should know about AP is that there is a glitch if you try to sneak up through the roof to get into the embassy in Moscow that treats it you like entered in violently. If you want to be nonviolent you gotta talk past the guards.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

tenderjerk posted:

Yea, I've dumped a lot of hours into the PC version. The only problem was the level-based scaling of enemies was wonky, so I'd suggest using a mod with more sensible scaling (http://steamcommunity.com/app/23310/discussions/0/2906376154333740815/?ctp=1).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Really Pants posted:

get Sky 2 + 3

I thought Alpha Protocol was fine without any mods. I just had to go stealth/pistols to eliminate most of the gameplay headaches.

Yeah if you bout trails 1 you should at least get two

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

play first video game before buying others

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

no

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GulagDolls posted:

I don't think you understand how Steam works...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you need to play the games in a complicated but ascending order of quality. it looks something like this

sora no kiseki > sen no kiseki 3 > arumana no kiseki > sora no kiseki sc > sen no kiseki 2 > ao no kiseki > sen no kiseki > zero no kiseki > sora no kiseki 3rd > nayuta no kiseki

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Colonel posted:

you need to play the games in a complicated but ascending order of quality. it looks something like this

sora no kiseki > sen no kiseki 3 > arumana no kiseki > sora no kiseki sc > sen no kiseki 2 > ao no kiseki > sen no kiseki > zero no kiseki > sora no kiseki 3rd > nayuta no kiseki

Okay, but when do I listen to the drama cds and read the manga?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I played all the localized trails games and I have no idea which game is which on that list.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terper posted:

Okay, but when do I listen to the drama cds and read the manga?

you have to watch the dragon slayer: the legend of heroes ova

CharlestheHammer posted:

I played all the localized trails games and I have no idea which game is which on that list.

nayuta is one of the best action rpgs of all time

the fan translation sucks rear end so don't play it until the new one comes out lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 15, 2018

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

tales of indiana jones....finally, a real video game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

chumbler posted:

Yes.

Uncontrollable rules, and this song playing as you first see New LA and the pan over the first area is great. God I want a sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O59iwBYDYcw&t=1s

XCX had a couple decent songs and sounded like they wanted to make music for PSO, but overall the OST falls behind XC2 and can't come close to XC1's.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
XCXs soundtrack would be a hell of a lot better if more than 10% of it was actually utilized.

A fun thing to do is to find the full OST on YouTube and skip around randomly, counting all the songs you've never actually heard in game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GulagDolls posted:

tales of indiana jones....finally, a real video game

he won't stop buying out all the anti venom in the shops

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the biggest sins of XCX's soundtrack are the cave music and the track that plays when you accidentally aggro a monster (which happens all the loving time in caves)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I'm playing Trails in the Sky for the first time, is there a particularly effective way to build Estelle or am i supposed to just switch her around regularly depending on who else is in my party? Everyone else's ideal builds seem pretty telegraphed so far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Estelle's the most balanced party member so just have her do whatever the others can't do.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is Ys VIII worth getting on the Vita now that the translation isn't garbage?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Morpheus posted:

if you like ys games go for it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tales of Woe posted:

I'm playing Trails in the Sky for the first time, is there a particularly effective way to build Estelle or am i supposed to just switch her around regularly depending on who else is in my party? Everyone else's ideal builds seem pretty telegraphed so far.

I like putting Estelle in a support role that isn't really stat dependent, since she doesn't really excel at anything. So healing and buffs (la forte and la crest especially) are good on her, and also fit well with generically decent quartz on her like Attack and HP. I guess maybe Defense too but god, earth quartz in those games suuuuuuck.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Morpheus posted:

If you've got a ps4 or pc (soon?) or switch (eventually) those versions have a bunch of additions and improvements over the vita one

If you don't it's still a great game

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I like putting Estelle in a support role that isn't really stat dependent, since she doesn't really excel at anything. So healing and buffs (la forte and la crest especially) are good on her, and also fit well with generically decent quartz on her like Attack and HP. I guess maybe Defense too but god, earth quartz in those games suuuuuuck.

yeah zin's earth quartz focus is why i barely used him and never even discovered his bugged attack in SC (why on earth would you gimp the attack of a physical attacker with a ton of HP already????) its not as bad once you get poison, petrify and some other earth quartz i don't remember but still, defense quartz is the worst and only good for spells.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

XCX had a couple decent songs and sounded like they wanted to make music for PSO, but overall the OST falls behind XC2 and can't come close to XC1's.

XC2 has like four good songs and the rest is forgettable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Turns out music taste is subjective

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Chrono Cross is a garbage rear end game but Time's Scar is one of the most beautiful songs in JRPGs and gaming for me. Can't believe Mitsuda's first job was Chrono Trigger along with Nobuo Uematsu.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

XC2 has one of my favorite soundtracks in ages, at least for the field and town themes. the battle music is just okay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tae posted:

Turns out music taste is subjective

I am correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sawano is amazing and perfect.

I mean, he's at his best when he's working with Aimer of course but even without her he's still pretty great.