Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
But I need the same emulators on every system!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I want to emulate Sonic 3&K and play the first half in handheld just so I can slam it into the dock for the back half and relive the halcyon days of Lock-On Technology.

Btw you can still make purchases on the eShop from a 4.x firmware. Dunno if it'll always be that way or if they have a signing window like Apple but now might be a good time to buy some indies or whatever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I purposely kept my vita on the hackable firmware so it would be worth more when I sold it because I never played my vita

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I purposely kept my vita on the hackable firmware so it would be worth more when I sold it because I never played my vita

I bought two OLED vitas when I found out they were switching to LCD (OLED is so beautiful it gives me tears in my eyes). One I used (barely) and the other I kept sealed in my basement. Once the 3.6 hack came out, and my used vita was on a hackable firmware, I put the sealed Vita on ebay and got $120 more than I paid for it. I was the only person on ebay with a sealed U.S. OLED 3g vita at the time!

I got the 3g one only because it was what Newegg had on sale when I bought it. I'm glad I did though because from what I hear the microsd 3g mod is better than the sd2vita for some reason. And also I put a 200gb microsd internally in my Vita which means I can put another 200gb one in the game card slot if I so desire

It's not a bad system. You have to see how ridiculous Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends looks on the OLED Vita. It looks like it's painted on the screen.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 15, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Andrast posted:

gently caress staying on old rear end firmwares just on the off-chance that somebody is going to get homebrew running on it.

I get your point, but as to not mislead others: 3.0.0 definitely has working homebrew right now. There are large chunks missing (like support for sound), but people have gotten emulators reasonably playable and made ports of simple games and whatnot.

The other < 5.0.0 versions will get there (or better) through software methods with 100% confidence, though the timeline is unknown.

All Revision A hardware should theoretically get there via mod chip with purported solderless option, but that costs money and is only being pursued by one group, albeit one with a good reputation.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, I’m not going to bother with Switch stuff unless it ends up working on modern firmware. The appeal with it on 3DS was that it just added capabilities to my system and didn’t lock me out of any features.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Even if modern Switch firmwares do get hacked, the precedent set by the 3DS banwave makes hacking pretty unappealing for non-pirates.

The potential for permanently losing access to online multiplayer just to get homebrew and emulators is a hard pill to swallow.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In all honesty if you want portable emulation goodness, get a cheap 2DS or some other member of the 3DS family for strictly-offline play and go to town with a 32 gig SD card.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

repiv posted:

Even if modern Switch firmwares do get hacked, the precedent set by the 3DS banwave makes hacking pretty unappealing for non-pirates.

The potential for permanently losing access to online multiplayer just to get homebrew and emulators is a hard pill to swallow.

the thing about the Switch is, since it's a decently powerful ARM system, the homebrew capabilities of it are actually kind of bonkers-rear end nuts in theory

like, fail0verflow got straight-up no-bullshit Linux running on it. simply being able to dual-boot Android with the Switch OS would be a huge boon and would basically turn the Switch into the best tablet on the market

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

repiv posted:

I still haven't been banned on my homebrewed 3DS (and I don't really care about multiplayer either)

If I could have have a homebrewed Switch with full access to new games and the eshop I would do it in a heartbeat.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I should have put an "IMO" on there, if you don't care about multiplayer then go for it :)

It's just a shame it won't be like the earlier 3DS days when there were literally no consequences for hacking your system.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

repiv posted:

I should have put an "IMO" on there, if you don't care about multiplayer then go for it :)

It's just a shame it won't be like the earlier 3DS days when there were literally no consequences for hacking your system.

Was it ever confirmed that people were banned just for having hacked systems? Last I heard most people who were banned did something dumb like playing pokemon before it was released and stuff like that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AFAIK they never figured out exactly how Nintendo flagged hacked systems, but it definitely wasn't limited to people who played unreleased games. I never played any games before launch and still got banned.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My 3DS that’s been hacked for 2 years hasn’t been banned either.:cheers:

I won’t be doing anything with my Switch unless I can go online without high chances of being banned.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

repiv posted:

AFAIK they never figured out exactly how Nintendo flagged hacked systems, but it definitely wasn't limited to people who played unreleased games. I never played any games before launch and still got banned.

To my knowledge most of the bans/banwaves were from people playing unreleased games. However, there was one banwave that no one had any clue as to why it happened and people still don't know what flagged those consoles.

Still there also hasn't been a banwave like that since.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m sure there will be another coming eventually since Nintendo is still releasing games into 2019.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing about the Switch is, since it's a decently powerful ARM system, the homebrew capabilities of it are actually kind of bonkers-rear end nuts in theory

like, fail0verflow got straight-up no-bullshit Linux running on it. simply being able to dual-boot Android with the Switch OS would be a huge boon and would basically turn the Switch into the best tablet on the market

Android tablets are awful

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

havenwaters posted:

To my knowledge most of the bans/banwaves were from people playing unreleased games. However, there was one banwave that no one had any clue as to why it happened and people still don't know what flagged those consoles.

Still there also hasn't been a banwave like that since.

Yeah that whole banwave thing was weird and inconsistent, likely on purpose in order to keep people guessing. One of my secondary 3DSes got banned despite having never been used for online play, and even having purchased a few legit downloadables for it.

VV None of those apply to the system I got banned on.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 15, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Never been banned across all three of my 3ds systems. People who have been banned are folks who cheated (in pokemon), played games online before release, and folks who used 3ds flashcarts with .3ds files rather than .cias without reconstructing the public header.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I never cheated in Pokemon, played online before release, or used a 3DS flashcart at all but still got banned :shrug:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The one big banwave is the one where no one has any conclusive idea what triggered the ban, because the only thing in common was having custom firmware but obviously not everyone got banned.

This is a ban tactic that I think Valve likes to use to keep people guessing, but there hasn't been a second huge banwave like it yet sooooooooooo

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What's this talk of a switch hardware update? Anyone have sources on that?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/973354786274689024

SciresM is the guy who developed B9S, he knows what he's talking about.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Honestly, anyone wanting to do actual homebrew on their Switch would be better served with a Shield device. It's the same hardware at a cheaper price and with no locks.

I was desperate enough for hacking the 3DS because of the region-locking that I even bought Cubic Ninja when that was the only way to get SMTIV working in Europe. Now I don't even need that and can play any game regardless of region by just putting its cart in -- and I got tons of US and Japanese games. It was also a boon for digital-only stuff like Gotcha Protectors 2 that launch here; a hacked device is the only way to play it.

The Wii U, that was useful too, because it was the one way to play Gamecube stuff on HDMI without very expensive hardware.

But the Switch? No region-locking, not even for digital stuff, and no backwards-compatibility to deal with related issues via homebrew. I don't see the point. Get a Shield if all you care is emulators and whatnot.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Lord Frisk posted:

Word on the 'net is they're doing a super minor hardware revision 100% just to gently caress with the good people trying to unlock this device that no one else will ever notice. New ones will just have some hardware fuckery to make unlocking harder, no other difference. Source is basically that 5.0 has code that isn't for the current hardware, it's speculation based on that but the other option is that there's actually a cooler switch coming already and lol

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

Android tablets are awful

I dunno, having one that's also a Switch would get around the biggest flaws

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Andrast posted:

I'm not going to bother with Switch homebrew unless it gets an easy solution on the current firmware like the 3DS did

gently caress staying on old rear end firmwares just on the off-chance that somebody is going to get homebrew running on it.

I'm holding off, but will likely update in a couple of months once we know more about 5.0.0. I want to play Hyrule Warriors again, also get my dumb FE Warriors DLC.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saoshyant posted:

But the Switch? No region-locking, not even for digital stuff, and no backwards-compatibility to deal with related issues via homebrew. I don't see the point. Get a Shield if all you care is emulators and whatnot.

Joycons, portability, and that sweet, sweet sleep button.

They sound like trivialities on paper but they're literally the reason I went from 0 gaming last generation (infrequent LoL) to having more than 13 physical carts and who knows how many digital this generation.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I hope the Switch can one day have Android homebrew just so I can play mobile ports of San Andreas and such

It's a rough time, gotta get a Switch before they start shipping with 5.0.0 and revised hardware but it'll basically be a paperweight until (anything the wii u can't do (plays all emulators fine)) homebrew happens

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 16, 2018

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Looks like Nintendo locked the eShop to Switch 5.0.0, getting an error code 2016-1100. Time to update.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nonviolent J posted:

I hope the Switch can one day have Android homebrew just so I can play mobile ports of San Andreas and such

I really wish valve would port the half life and portal games from the shield over. It’s the same drat hardware.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really wish valve would port the half life and portal games from the shield over. It’s the same drat hardware.

They're not really in the business of making games without an infinite microtransaction ecosystem anymore.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

They're not really in the business of making games without an infinite microtransaction ecosystem anymore.

As a company they should absolutely be in the “easy money for next to no effort” business still though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
so since my switch was one of the release versions, updating to 5.0 would put me off cfw for a while until hackers hopefully find a way to implement cfw on it? Seems like it's reasonable to update now and still enjoy online stuff since cfw won't be stable or useful for a while anyways.

E: also would we have a switch homebrew thread or will we still hang out here?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dizz posted:

so since my switch was one of the release versions, updating to 5.0 would put me off cfw for a while until hackers hopefully find a way to implement cfw on it? Seems like it's reasonable to update now and still enjoy online stuff since cfw won't be stable or useful for a while anyways.

E: also would we have a switch homebrew thread or will we still hang out here?

There's a general Nintendo homebrew thread elsewhere.

Edit: I'm an idiot!

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 18, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's a general Nintendo homebrew thread elsewhere.

...this is the general Nintendo homebrew thread

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Iron Rose posted:

...this is the general Nintendo homebrew thread

I thought I was in the Switch thread. :tipshat:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Just wait til they can spoof your version

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Got linux running on the wii u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

Honestly, anyone wanting to do actual homebrew on their Switch would be better served with a Shield device. It's the same hardware at a cheaper price and with no locks.

I was desperate enough for hacking the 3DS because of the region-locking that I even bought Cubic Ninja when that was the only way to get SMTIV working in Europe. Now I don't even need that and can play any game regardless of region by just putting its cart in -- and I got tons of US and Japanese games. It was also a boon for digital-only stuff like Gotcha Protectors 2 that launch here; a hacked device is the only way to play it.

The Wii U, that was useful too, because it was the one way to play Gamecube stuff on HDMI without very expensive hardware.

I agree that the Nvidia Shield Portable is fantastic but they stopped making them shortly after their release for some reason

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 19, 2018