Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

catlord posted:

I love the Hulkified lap dogs
Really? I thought that was by far the dumbest decision in the film. Well that, and whatever that last fight scene between Hulk and Banner's dad was supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are recent reports that they did some reshoots for Deadpool 2 because test audiences had a common complaint, not enough Cable and Domino scenes. So that's what they went back and added.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dexie posted:

Plus, y'know. Thanos needs a reason to actually attack the place in Infinity War, and why else would he do it if Soul wasn't there?

Because he's a dick.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

muscles like this! posted:

There are recent reports that they did some reshoots for Deadpool 2 because test audiences had a common complaint, not enough Cable and Domino scenes. So that's what they went back and added.

I hope they give everyone bad wigs and digital mustaches as a joke.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Really? I thought that was by far the dumbest decision in the film. Well that, and whatever that last fight scene between Hulk and Banner's dad was supposed to be.

It is super loving dumb, and I love it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Infinity War is going to be 2h36min long. Don't buy any drinks.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Infinity War is going to be 2h36min long. Don't buy any drinks.

I'm gonna need at least three drinks just to get through it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I will need 2 bags of mars bits then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They need to offer a goddamned intermission.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Bring floss if you're having popcorn. Long time to have a kernel stuck.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It will be at least 3.5 hours long including trailers, car commericals and weird shorts that look like they're just to tell a story but they're actually an ad for the power company.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just smoke a j before you go into the theater that's what I do

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

AMC is talking about doing a marathon of all the MCU movies for the opening of Infinity War. Thinking about popping in and out of that. Getting baked as gently caress for a couple days would be a great way to celebrate the last ten years of Marvel movies.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

A marvel marathon is like an all you can drink open bar where the only drink available is miller lite.

SonicRulez posted:

Because Iron Man 2 wasn't up to par.

Iron man 2 was actually another casualty of studio interference. Favreu had a trilogy planned, with the idea of doing the whole demon in the bottle thing, where Tony had an arc that would conclude in IM3. In addition, it's rumored that the idea was for Stark Senior to actually have been a bad guy that sold Vanko out for greed, and have Tony come to grips with the sins of the father (a theme that was echoed in BP), instead of having the dad been a saint all along. Both these ideas were scrapped however, presumably because they didn't want their star superhero be a drunk that endangered innocent people, and because Tony Starks dad was in the Cap movie and the Peggy spinoff.

In addition, Favreus demands for more money made marvel axe him for the third IM movie, as well as the avengers movie.

It's a shame, because it sounds like Favreu had a real good story in mind that sounds way more interesting than what we actually got. The movie was rushed, studio interfered, and the result was predictably messy. The story and characters had to take a back seat to the story being a launch pad for the Avengers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

McCloud posted:

A marvel marathon is like an all you can drink open bar where the only drink available is miller lite.

Hey now, the Guardians movies are fine rum and cokes.

McCloud posted:

Iron man 2 was actually another casualty of studio interference. Favreu had a trilogy planned, with the idea of doing the whole demon in the bottle thing, where Tony had an arc that would conclude in IM3. In addition, it's rumored that the idea was for Stark Senior to actually have been a bad guy that sold Vanko out for greed, and have Tony come to grips with the sins of the father (a theme that was echoed in BP), instead of having the dad been a saint all along. Both these ideas were scrapped however, presumably because they didn't want their star superhero be a drunk that endangered innocent people, and because Tony Starks dad was in the Cap movie and the Peggy spinoff.

In addition, Favreus demands for more money made marvel axe him for the third IM movie, as well as the avengers movie.

It's a shame, because it sounds like Favreu had a real good story in mind that sounds way more interesting than what we actually got. The movie was rushed, studio interfered, and the result was predictably messy. The story and characters had to take a back seat to the story being a launch pad for the Avengers

I always heard that the alcoholism stuff was scrapped in part because of RDJ not being comfortable with the idea due to his own past.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Hey now, the Guardians movies are fine rum and cokes.

That's true. Would Winter Soldier be a white russian then?

Amendment: It'd be an open bar with millar lite, but after every 5 beers or so they offer you one good drink.

Lurdiak posted:

I always heard that the alcoholism stuff was scrapped in part because of RDJ not being comfortable with the idea due to his own past.

I'd have thought that was part of the appeal of him being cast for the role, having intimate knowledge of addiction.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The story I've read is that Tony battling alcoholism was too adult for Disney so it had to be toned down. Shame about IM2 really, I really liked that suitcase armor (even if they've managed to top it off in succeeding movies).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought Hulk Dogs were one of the best things in the movie. Admittedly, though, I didn't like most of the film.

site posted:

Same, except by the time I sit through the previews and ads, my loving buzz is nearly gone.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Hulk dogs is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a movie, period

there's a loving hulk poodle

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I kinda wish infinity war was return of the king length with an intermission half way through. It is the final act for the mcu at this point and probably a number of characters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Avengers 4.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lee's Hulk movie is an interesting experiment that almost makes a decent movie, but fails to come together. Using the Hulk to explore themes of domestic abuse is an inspired choice. The problem is that it's hard to balance the gravity such a topic demands with the sillier, more comic book elements in the script, such as the Hulk dogs. The tonal contrast is simply to much and breaks suspension of disbelief. Likewise, they focus so much on making Banner a symbol of victim-hood that they fail to give him a memorable personality. Absorbing Man also seemed like a poor choice for a villain if your going to make the villain the abusive father. If the theme is that violence begets violence, why is the original sin depicted as a weird elemental vampire? It also leads to a disappointing climax where the raging punch-monster is fighting a foe he cannot beat by punching, so instead we end on him screaming at a cloud. I've always felt that, had they made the villain Grey Hulk, it would have made more thematic sense while also giving a more cathartic and action packed ending, even if the key to winning the fight remains the same; letting go of the anger and pain that had been forced on you as a child.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how people would react if intermissions for very long movies were brought back.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm sure theaters would absolutely hate it. Their ideal movie is like an hour long so they can shuffle people in and out as quickly as possible.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/Russo_Brothers/status/974314763780997121

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I am kind of surprised they've had such a hard time making a decent hulk movie

You got the raging punchmonster for the action and the conflicted jekyll/hyde aspects for the drama. They had like 5 minutes of fun action in the first Hulk movie as he's punching tanks and helicopters and then another 5 minutes in the second one as he is fighting that guy in the park, but that's it. The rest of it is just so forgettable or bad

Then they take one of the best Hulk stories, Planet Hulk, and make it part of a Thor movie. I would have loved to see a full Planet Hulk movie with Mark Ruffallo and a fun supporting cast

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder how people would react if intermissions for very long movies were brought back.

The Hobbit and LoTR movies I went to had intermissions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's one or two decent Hulk movies, they're just animated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I went to a Lawrence of Arabia screening a few months back and none of the younger folks left during the intermission. The couple next to us actually leaned over and asked what an intermission was.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Intermission is good when you're at the theater that sells beer. Gives you a chance to re-up

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Fartbox posted:

I am kind of surprised they've had such a hard time making a decent hulk movie

You got the raging punchmonster for the action and the conflicted jekyll/hyde aspects for the drama. They had like 5 minutes of fun action in the first Hulk movie as he's punching tanks and helicopters and then another 5 minutes in the second one as he is fighting that guy in the park, but that's it. The rest of it is just so forgettable or bad

Then they take one of the best Hulk stories, Planet Hulk, and make it part of a Thor movie. I would have loved to see a full Planet Hulk movie with Mark Ruffallo and a fun supporting cast

There's a logistics reason as to why Planet Hulk the movie didn't happen. Universal has some rights to stand alone films which is why they just decided to have Hulk's 3 film story happen in other movies.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That bit in Incredible Hulk where he just punts Blonsky like 500 mph into a tree was really funny. That's the kind of mean-spirited Hulk I can root for.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I think it's hard to make a good Hulk movie because any story that takes place on Earth paints the Hulk as a monster. It's the type of story that kinda needs to be taken seriously and portrayed as a dark, psychological drama, bordering on straight-up horror. So, unless you have a master like Kubrick or Scorcese at the helm, you're never going to have the type of emotionally-nuanced movie that allows an audience to connect with a protaganist who also embodies the central conflict of the story. This is ultimately why I think Ang Lee came closest. But really, the tone they have set for the MCU films pretty much demands that any (successful, competent) Hulk film needs to be full-on fantasy, Ragnarok-style.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Beyond the one guy who argued the the CGI in IH was bad and the dude who doesn't like Ed Norton, what's everyone's real issue with IH? I've seen it 3 or 4 times now and I think it hits more than it misses.

I disagree that it's hard to make a good Hulk movie. It's Jekyll and Hyde meets Frankenstein with Beauty and the Beast tossed in. poo poo, they made a really good TV Show out of it 40 years ago. It might be hard to make a fresh original take on the him but as he stands, he writes himself.

The teaser at the end with the soda cans and the contaminated blood was a dangling plot element that seemed ripe for using in a shared universe. Plus, wtf happened to The Leader?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 15, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

The teaser at the end wth the soda cans and the contaminated was a dangling plot element that seemed ripe for using in a shared universe.

We watched this the other day, and there's only one bottle that gets Banner's blood in it. You see it later in the movie when Stan Lee drinks from it and drops the bottle on the ground.

Post credits scene is Tony Stark meeting with Ross and asking for Abomination to be used in the Avengers Initiative. Which is expanded upon in the short "The Consultant".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

BiggerBoat posted:

Beyond the one guy who argued the the CGI in IH was bad and the dude who doesn't like Ed Norton, what's everyone's real issue with IH? I've seen it 3 or 4 times now and I think it hits ore than it misses.

The teaser at the end wth the soda cans and the contaminated was a dangling plot element that seemed ripe for using in a shared universe. Plus, wtf happened to The Leader?

I just thought it was kinda boring and unmemorable.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^^
Basically, IH literally never happened according to Disney and Marvel

SonicRulez posted:

That bit in Incredible Hulk where he just punts Blonsky like 500 mph into a tree was really funny. That's the kind of mean-spirited Hulk I can root for.

The moment does kind of stretch the concept of the Hulk as a misunderstood monster that just wants to be left alone to near its breaking point, unless you want to argue that the Hulk is subconsciously creating situations where the people he does attack do get out alive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chill Penguin posted:

I think it's hard to make a good Hulk movie because any story that takes place on Earth paints the Hulk as a monster. It's the type of story that kinda needs to be taken seriously and portrayed as a dark, psychological drama, bordering on straight-up horror. So, unless you have a master like Kubrick or Scorcese at the helm, you're never going to have the type of emotionally-nuanced movie that allows an audience to connect with a protaganist who also embodies the central conflict of the story. This is ultimately why I think Ang Lee came closest. But really, the tone they have set for the MCU films pretty much demands that any (successful, competent) Hulk film needs to be full-on fantasy, Ragnarok-style.

Eh, I dunno. You don't have to get THAT dark and psychological to make Hulk interesting. Just do it as pulp like the old stuff. As long as you make the conflict Hulk vs the world and not "Hulk has to stop a baddie", it seems pretty simple to me. But both movies stumbled by making the military like, want to use him as a weapon, which makes them outright villains instead of just people who misunderstand and fear him. Like yes, the original "created by a bomb" origin was pretty starkly anti-military in its own way, but the dynamics of the monster being feared for his power and reacting like a huge rear end in a top hat about it, resulting in chaos that could've been avoided, that's Frankenstein-style romanticism and tragedy. If he's just a guy who doesn't want to be caged and turned into a WMD, then he's 100% in the right to blow them the gently caress up and objectively preventing more damage than he's causing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

Beyond the one guy who argued the the CGI in IH was bad and the dude who doesn't like Ed Norton, what's everyone's real issue with IH? I've seen it 3 or 4 times now and I think it hits more than it misses.

I disagree that it's hard to make a good Hulk movie. It's Jekyll and Hyde meets Frankenstein with Beauty and the Beast tossed in. poo poo, they made a really good TV Show out of it 40 years ago. It might be hard to make a fresh original take on the him but as he stands, he writes himself.

The teaser at the end with the soda cans and the contaminated blood was a dangling plot element that seemed ripe for using in a shared universe. Plus, wtf happened to The Leader?

I didn't have an issue with it, but I didn't really have... Anything with it. I think of it like Thor 2 where I know I saw a vaguely competently made movie that simply exists and ceases to occupy any part of my memory the instant it's over.

• Locked thread