Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Arquinsiel posted:

Micromasters were cool as gently caress for two reasons:
1: teeny robots that weren't much less complex than full size robots.
2: they were cheap and came in packs of four or more, so you got a lot of bots for your unit currency. That mattered to 5 year old me.

I am happily tracking all the ones I missed or lost or broke down online now.

Yeah I loved Micromasters. gently caress Actionmasters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I used to enjoy imagining what the new characters turned into before they were Nucleon'd. The collector's club Krok is exactly what I expected him to be.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Knormal posted:

Action Masters and the Micromaster bases don't even count as Transformers, they're just MASK. Micromasters have their charm, but not when they're the only actual transforming figures in the line. Then this was followed by nothing. There's no redeeming the early '90s.

Armada was a direct response to RiD, which proved that vehicle Transformers sold well, but whose main figures were far to complex for the target audience to transform. Hasbro flat-out said at the time they wanted to get back to figures that could transform in a few seconds and not disrupt playflow by kids having to stop and work on a figure for 10 minutes and get frustrated.

Honestly I actually kinda like Action Masters as a concept, they probably would have done better though if they had full GI Joe scale articulation though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah if the Action Masters actually HAD the articulation of figures of the era, they would have been a bit better off. Also maybe still have real transformers being made alongside them, but maybe that was out of the budget or something I don't know

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Knormal posted:

Action Masters and the Micromaster bases don't even count as Transformers, they're just MASK. Micromasters have their charm, but not when they're the only actual transforming figures in the line. Then this was followed by nothing. There's no redeeming the early '90s.

Armada was a direct response to RiD, which proved that vehicle Transformers sold well, but whose main figures were far to complex for the target audience to transform. Hasbro flat-out said at the time they wanted to get back to figures that could transform in a few seconds and not disrupt playflow by kids having to stop and work on a figure for 10 minutes and get frustrated.

I guess that makes sense. All the Autobot brothers ended up relying on a lot of free-floating kibble that never felt right whatever you did with it, but the worst was that many-faced predacon who never really looked transformed right no matter what you did with him. It also explains that really anemic self-transforming electrical pair of pants Optimus had in Armada.

Wedge in RiD however, was the perfect transformer. Perfectly articulated, interesting mode, I kinda invented a little X-wing mode for him, and I maybe later resented the constructicons for locking up most construction vehicles in the rest of the franchise because of how much potential they had otherwise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Micromasters gave us Erector.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Unless you were anywhere other than the US, in which case the Turbomasters (and Predators) were full-assed Transformers that could fire inch-and-a-half long choking hazards all the way across the goddamn living room.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

Unless you were anywhere other than the US, in which case the Turbomasters (and Predators) were full-assed Transformers that could fire inch-and-a-half long choking hazards all the way across the goddamn living room.

Were the Lazer Rods from that era too?

EDIT: Looked it up, they were firmly in the heart of G2, 1994.

I'm kind of surprised about that because the whole elastic band for the waist joint is such an 80s toy design idea

Burkion fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 14, 2018

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Kaiju transformers you say?

Pictured: Gigan, Baragon, and, uh... Beaky Bird Kaiju.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, I'm feeling extra Can Do tonight, so I'm finally sorting out the TFNation TF Animated graphic novels.

These are the people I have down for the 5 copies I have:

The List
1. DoctorWhat
2. Captain Invictus
3. History Cums Inside
4. Iced Cocoa
5. drrockso20

I'll be sending out PMs in a bit with paypal details.

Great to hear! Keep in mind I'm in Iceland so bill accordingly, I don't want to rip you off.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I have so many freaking micromasters buried at the bottom of large plastic containers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I have so many freaking micromasters buried at the bottom of large plastic containers

This is totes a hint of the direction of the next line.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Rhyno posted:

This is totes a hint of the direction of the next line.

I can't even post in this thread without speculation anymore

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Yeah it kind of sucks and we’re all guilty. Lmk if you want me to sponsor a rereg or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was just kidding! Nobody wants that back!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

If this bothers you I can help out.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Any ebay coupons lately?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
This week's Lost Light is basically a series of well told jokes and character observations used to divert attention that it has only two pages of actual story

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vaporware posted:

Any ebay coupons lately?

There was one fairly recently but I am on my Honeymoon and didn't see it until it had expired.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Oh well. I don't bother with ebay much lately, but it's the only place to track down some of the diaclone reboot stuff. Thanks anyway

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have you looked at the KOs? By all reports they are incredible.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, I picked some up. I didn't get the main fighter guy, but I got the powersuits. They're 90% perfect. Usual KO problems with lovely pins and weird tolerances around the cockpit. Otherwise it's great because the KOs are like a 2pack for $25 and the real thing is a 2pack for $60-80 depending on colorway.

And they are crazy small too. Like sub-legends. The driver guys are microscopic. Makes 3rd party TF legends look value priced.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

MONSTRUCTOR /wink got it. (SHHHHH, I won't tell)

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Our baby arrived so my transformer hunting time has been pretty limited. Still no PotP Wave 2 here but I did pick up one of those Combiner Force 2 robot sets purely on the merit of it being Bisk and some scarab beetle guy. These are generally not great transformers but they totally make good toys.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I just finished moving, and unearthed a lot more Transformers I want to get rid of, leftovers from abandoned kitbash plans, sales, or who knows what. Anyone want any of the below, all new-in box? Make me an offer, no reasonable offer will be refused, I'll combine shipping, ship international, blah blah blah. Note that I haven't found my scale yet so I won't be able to do shipping estimates for a bit.

FoC Grimlock
Another FoC Grimlock
FoC Starscream
Prime Kup
Prime First Edition Optimus Prime
Prime Optimus Prime
CW white Optimus Prime
TR Apeface
TR Breakaway
TR Hot Rod (damaged card)
TR Blaster
Hot Soldiers Iron Tin (Ironhide) (opened, transformed once, back to the box)
Toyworld Hegemon B-version (no silencer/stock, extra swappable Marvel head)
TFSS Circuit (opened, maybe transformed once or twice)
TFSS Jackpot (opened, maybe transformed once or twice)

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Knormal posted:

dibs

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Knormal posted:

So I just finished moving, and unearthed a lot more Transformers I want to get rid of, leftovers from abandoned kitbash plans, sales, or who knows what. Anyone want any of the below, all new-in box? Make me an offer, no reasonable offer will be refused, I'll combine shipping, ship international, blah blah blah. Note that I haven't found my scale yet so I won't be able to do shipping estimates for a bit.

FoC Grimlock
Another FoC Grimlock
FoC Starscream
Prime Kup
Prime First Edition Optimus Prime
Prime Optimus Prime
CW white Optimus Prime
TR Apeface
TR Breakaway
TR Hot Rod (damaged card)
TR Blaster
Toyworld Hegemon B-version (no silencer/stock, extra swappable Marvel head)
TFSS Circuit (opened, maybe transformed once or twice)
TFSS Jackpot (opened, maybe transformed once or twice)

What do you think is reasonable for Prime FE Optimus? I don't want to insult you.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

This week's Lost Light is basically a series of well told jokes and character observations used to divert attention that it has only two pages of actual story

Does it have story? Does it?

Does it?

I think Roberts must have gotten pissed about people saying he's too eager to kill, cause that is all he does now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Burkion posted:

Big T-Rex. Wonderful thing, but a big T-Rex.

Like, to use Power Rangers as an example, they've had a lot of dinosaur robots and a few Dragon ones, but the DragonZord/ Dragon Caesar is just straight up Godzilla but a robot.

Transformers has never really done anything like that before. Though I guess you could argue some form of Optimus Primal could work for a King Kong reference

Trypicon is definitely more Godzilla than he is a T-Rex. He's even charcoal grey \ black and has a few plates on his back, although they're much smaller and less pronounced than Godzilla. A lot of people forget that Godzilla isn't really supposed to be green, except for when he is on rare occasions like in a couple of the millennium movies and that recent anime.

There's that, plus Trypticon is enormous and stomps around cities knocking over buildings like Godzilla. And while he was designed in the 80s, people at least know that Tyrannosaurs weren't tail draggers by now. Now if only people could learn to accept feathered dinosaurs...

Knormal posted:

I like Action Masters, Micromasters and G2 because I was born a couple years too late and this was all I got.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

man i forgot the commercial intro for action masters tried to justify the lack of transformation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH-E9YFyvxY

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So apparently TRU Canada is still relatively healthy and aren't currently planning to close any of their stores. (Of course, they would say that, right up to the point where they declare their own bankruptcy. Gotta keep shares up.)

But the company that makes Bratz is trying to buy them out. I dunno how that squares with our antitrust laws, or if it even has to, but it is kinda weird.

Reading articles about it this morning, I was reminded that we do have another toy chain that's doing alright: Mastermind Toys, who kinda veer away from the bikes and action figures end of the market. Lots of Lego and Playmobil and more edutainment-type stuff. Puzzles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is in every toy company's best interest that Toys R Us stays open, so hopefully they do something about it, maybe buy them from that horrific company that owns them.

Like, apparently 10% of all of Lego sales come from them. That's INSANE. That is an insane number.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This could be catastrophic to any and all toy makers.

NECA in particular comes to mind. Hoo boy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Anora posted:

Does it have story? Does it?

Does it?

I think Roberts must have gotten pissed about people saying he's too eager to kill, cause that is all he does now.

It's just so empty. I went back and re-read all of the Getaway stuff and even though a lot of the decisions made still annoy me, each issue went somewhere. This issue just does nothing. Everyone's dead and characters which were dead are now alive again, and that's it. No progress made whatsoever. I just want this series to end now, it's gone on far too long

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
leveraged buyouts should really be illegal but lol who are we kiddin' that ain't happening

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just found the wave 2 Prime Masters at Kroger.

For $1.29 each. loving hell.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 15, 2018

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

So apparently TRU Canada is still relatively healthy and aren't currently planning to close any of their stores. (Of course, they would say that, right up to the point where they declare their own bankruptcy. Gotta keep shares up.)

But the company that makes Bratz is trying to buy them out. I dunno how that squares with our antitrust laws, or if it even has to, but it is kinda weird.

Reading articles about it this morning, I was reminded that we do have another toy chain that's doing alright: Mastermind Toys, who kinda veer away from the bikes and action figures end of the market. Lots of Lego and Playmobil and more edutainment-type stuff. Puzzles.

I can't believe Mastermind is still chugging along with how expensive everything in that place seemed to be and TRU is the one that's going under.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

Just found the wave 2 Prime Masters at Kroger.

For $1.29 each. loving hell.

Well poo poo if you've bought them all can I buy a set off you? I was only able to find one of them anywhere near me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

Well poo poo if you've bought them all can I buy a set off you? I was only able to find one of them anywhere near me.

I did not buy them since I got them in LA. I might be back that way kater so I will grab them if they are still there.

Sounds like it's an internal error, they were supposed to clearance the Titan Masters instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would also buy any titan masters you can grab for that much, since I missed most of those, and dupes would be welcome