Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Bad guys want to steal main character's powers while not understanding it's dangerous, hero solves this problem by punching them after they go MAD WITH POWER. It's kinda the plot of Iron Man without the better bits of Iron Man.

quote:

I disagree that it's hard to make a good Hulk movie. It's Jekyll and Hyde meets Frankenstein with Beauty and the Beast tossed in.

That sounds plenty generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

They need to offer a goddamned intermission.

2.5 hours is nothing, you babies.

4 hour+ movie? Sure split it in two 2 hour sections. But 3 hours or less is fine in one sitting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fangz posted:

Unlike the amazingly original plot of every Iron Man film.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
IMO the need for a hulk story to be dark went out the window after ragnarok because now hulk can talk and be funny

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lurdiak posted:

Unlike the amazingly original plot of every Iron Man film.

The plots don't need to be so original when the protaganist is so compelling.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

The plots don't need to be so original when the protaganist is so compelling.

Kinda making my point for me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

Kinda making my point for me.

Tony's a hella compelling character. Whether you like him or not, he's not boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Tony's a hella compelling character. Whether you like him or not, he's not boring.

I'm making the opposite point: cast someone interesting* as Hulk and the movie doesn't need to be original, just use a winning formula.

*anyone but Bana

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lurdiak posted:

I'm making the opposite point: cast someone interesting* as Hulk and the movie doesn't need to be original, just use a winning formula.

*anyone but Bana

Like who?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

site posted:

IMO the need for a hulk story to be dark went out the window after ragnarok because now hulk can talk and be funny

Yeah... I think an actionpacked Ragnarok style movie with some serious elements thrown in here and there would fit the hulk best. Give him bombastic enemies to fight in bombastic settings so you can utilize his INFINITE RAGE POWER. Throw in some adventurous fun instead of only grimdarkness and give him a strong supporting cast

you know

like in planet hulk

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

2.5 hours is nothing, you babies.

4 hour+ movie? Sure split it in two 2 hour sections. But 3 hours or less is fine in one sitting.

I don't disagree in general, but I also enjoy movies that do include an intermission as it gives an opportunity to pee and get more beverage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think Ruffalo could pull off a solo Hulk movie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Lurdiak posted:

*anyone but Bana

Okay, sure Hulk could be a success with a RDJ-tier actor, but you're not really making the case that making Hulk a success would be easy. Also intrinsically doing a Tony Stark on the Hulk is a bit tougher because while RDJ can act while in the suit, trying to do a cool Banner means less Hulk time.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Just paint the actor green

no cgi

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

I don't disagree in general, but I also enjoy movies that do include an intermission as it gives an opportunity to pee and get more beverage.

The 35mm screening of Hateful Eight with the programs and intermission was very cool. Stretched my legs, took a piss, and read some of the program during the intermission.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're not really supposed to have to piss every couple of hours I think.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
100 people parachute on an island and they have to watch the entire MCU in release order with no stops, anyone who takes a break is executed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aphrodite posted:

Depends on how much you're drinking. Once I get going, I can pretty much go piss per beer, with my little baby bladder.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Once every two to four hours is normal, and more often if you are drinking a lot, such as a half gallon of soda, as bladders are typically 12-20 oz.

So, yeah, it's perfectly fine if you do, unless you're involuntarily pissing yourself every couple hours.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want an intermission to yeah, take a leak and get a drink refill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll probably have Scarlet Witch scenes.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Just bring a pissbottle you noobs

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ava Duvernay (13th, Selma, a Wrinkle in Time) signed on for a New Gods movie
http://deadline.com/2018/03/ava-duvernay-new-gods-movie-warner-bros-dc-jack-kirby-1202338680/

If a Wrinkle In Time is anything, it's bananas colourful looking, so hopefully she'll be able to break off from Snyder's Grey Fourth World depiction.
edit: Or keep it for Apokolips and present a complete opposite for the New Genesis side.
ee: Y'know. If they manage to keep her on the project.
eee: Oprah would be an incredible Granny Goodness.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 15, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Whoooaaa :o

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Oprah as Granny Goodness please. Or Darkseid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ava's a real good get this'll be quite the turnaround for the dc movies

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've heard that Wrinkle in Time is a terribly put together film but that all of the weirdness in it was the best part. So who knows.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This seems like a pretty big gently caress up by Disney for not securing her for a MCU/Star Wars

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They tried for Black Panther and she passed.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I look forward to this never coming out like the dozen other movies DC announces every other week.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Unlucky7 posted:

The moment does kind of stretch the concept of the Hulk as a misunderstood monster that just wants to be left alone to near its breaking point, unless you want to argue that the Hulk is subconsciously creating situations where the people he does attack do get out alive.

You think? Hulk's always been a "I won't start a fight, but I will end it" kind of guy to me. He could've ripped him in half. Plus he then immediately runs away with Betty to....some place far away.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, I dunno. You don't have to get THAT dark and psychological to make Hulk interesting. Just do it as pulp like the old stuff. As long as you make the conflict Hulk vs the world and not "Hulk has to stop a baddie", it seems pretty simple to me. But both movies stumbled by making the military like, want to use him as a weapon, which makes them outright villains instead of just people who misunderstand and fear him. Like yes, the original "created by a bomb" origin was pretty starkly anti-military in its own way, but the dynamics of the monster being feared for his power and reacting like a huge rear end in a top hat about it, resulting in chaos that could've been avoided, that's Frankenstein-style romanticism and tragedy. If he's just a guy who doesn't want to be caged and turned into a WMD, then he's 100% in the right to blow them the gently caress up and objectively preventing more damage than he's causing.

Agree with all this.

Just treat him like Frankenstein and have the military stand in for the villagers with the torches. I think if you boil him down to his essence it's a really easy and simply story to tell. Like I said, a 40 year old TV show did pretty well with it.

From there, you can add layers of complexity to make the tale more modern and give it some context or add layers to him. Ang Lee tried and his effort was noble but it sort of collapsed under its own weight in a way. It's sort of similar to the way people overthink Godzilla or King Kong when really all they represent are big, scary uncontrollable monsters who can't help being dangerous and who frighten the Christ out of everyone.

Hulk's not a particularly deep character at his core. Maybe he's hard to write because of his simplicity and the tale has been told so often.

Fangz posted:

It is. That's why I don't think the character is all that hard to write. He might be hard to write in an original or new way but at his heart he's just a classic story that's stood the test of time and been reinterpreted and updated. Shakespeare's works, Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie...

I get that it's cliche in a sense and that's most certainly the challenge but his roots are classic and retold for a reason.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 16, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

They tried for Black Panther and she passed.

And I think she said she wasn't very interested in doing Star Wars.

Fun fact: she is apparently friendly with Abrams and it was her idea for Rey to close her eyes and use the Force to calm herself in her fight with Kylo Ren at the end of TFA.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
DeWanda Wise has exited her role in Captain Marvel (as Monica Rambeau? maybe?) due to scheduling conflicts with She’s Gotta Have It S2. The role will presumably be recast shortly.

https://t.co/xd1s37dXXC?amp=1

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

DeWanda Wise has exited her role in Captain Marvel (as Monica Rambeau? maybe?) due to scheduling conflicts with She’s Gotta Have It S2. The role will presumably be recast shortly.

https://t.co/xd1s37dXXC?amp=1

Hmm.. I wonder what Tiffany Haddish is working on right now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but quitting a role on an MCU blockbuster, even a minor one, for a Netflix series? Is that really worth it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samuringa posted:

I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but quitting a role on an MCU blockbuster, even a minor one, for a Netflix series? Is that really worth it?

Likely not optional, actors usually sign on TV shows for multiple seasons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Is it the starring role? If so, probably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah she should just violate her contract and get sued, lose her SAG card and gently caress her entire career so she can have 20 minutes in a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is it the starring role? If so, probably.

It is. She plays the main character, Nola Darling.

Also I mean, it's Spike Lee series that's probably paying her more and violating your contract is a big deal. Especially if you're a black woman, and one with no star power at that.

• Locked thread