Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've been playing Dragon Ball Fusions lately and I ran into an odd glitch; so you can create new characters by ex-fusing two different characters and this gives them special abilities and poo poo like that. One of the abilities is called Call EX and it instantly moves another character on the field to right next to the user. So I was in a battle and used Call and it worked but then suddenly the two characters involved just started sliding across the battlefield and along one of the edges of the map.

It didn't cause any problems but it was certainly a bit odd to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Digirat posted:

Unfortunately those soldiers' bodies grew back once I actually started a mission, ruining my hopes that several floating heads and guns could destroy the alien government

But I did still have a magical moment with the one in the front

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JFp555i10

So, if I understand and recall nu-XCom's nuances correctly from the lp threads, the reason this glitch happens is, indeed, incredibly loving magical. The recent XCOM games went through a period of design hell where the engine was built before they knew exactly what they wanted to do with it, and they were trying out a more action-oriented approach. When they went back to grids and turns, they kept using the same engine with some tweaking. MOST of the time, this functions correctly.

The problem arises, however, that what the game tells you about odds and how big explosions are and all that isn't exactly what's going on under the hood. So if a grenade fails to collide with the ground, it can fall through and just FAIL TO GO OFF. It falls through the world, may or may not generate any explosion at all, and that's that. Bullets have a similar problem; your odds-to-hit are accurate, the game will place 'rounds' during the firing animation based on those odds, but then the game still fires the bullets and won't deal their damage if they don't connect. There's some objects with odd geometry, such as drain pipes and exploded cars, which can occasionally block bullets the game intended to be hits. The cover system and flanking has a similar problem where sometimes objects with weird geometry can cause flawed asymmetrical flanks where two characters can be hugging the same cover right next to each other, but thanks to it having a drain pipe or some other glitched object, one of the characters will be flanking the other, but not vice-versa.

I'm not sure how many of these problems ever got fixed, but the fact that this isn't completely unheard-of insanity is a testament to the difficulty of programming and managing a large project.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I found my favourite tweet yet from @TheStrangeLog

https://twitter.com/thestrangelog/status/958770254561333251?s=21

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is really tame but I found a disembodied flashlight in Tomb Raider 2013:

Scariest thing in the game

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

RatHat posted:

Looking forward to when they find out how to do poop cancelling.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RatHat posted:

Metal Gear?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Sounds like maybe ARK?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's definitely ARK, that game is already notorious for having a poop command at all and for having gameplay mechanics revolving around poop. They only advertise that it has dinosaurs, though, for some reason.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

haveblue posted:

It's definitely ARK, that game is already notorious for having a poop command at all and for having gameplay mechanics revolving around poop. They only advertise that it has dinosaurs, though, for some reason.

I've only ever watched 2 videos about Ark Survival. The Monster Factory episode, and this one, arguably the more important of the two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Aq-gm3An0

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

SpacePig posted:

I've only ever watched 2 videos about Ark Survival. The Monster Factory episode, and this one, arguably the more important of the two.

My favourite part is at 1:15 where he just lies down in the poop

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYrMJ-631Ps I like this one as well.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Civ 6

Straight White Shark posted:

so I'm poking around into basic AI modding and it's even more opaque than Civ 5

but

there's a series of giant obvious typos in a spot that seems like it could be extremely relevant to the AI's generally poor performance :eng99:

This isn't just a case of it being spelled wrong throughout--elsewhere in this table there are other modifiers that reference YIELD_PRODUCTION etc. And they seem to work--the main reason I embarked on this experiment was that I noticed that AI civs with an agenda that gives them a preference for production or science or something useful tend to perform dramatically better than civs that do not. So the production-loving agenda for example gives the AI a favor weighting of 20 towards YIELD_PRODUCTION, which seems to be enough to get them to do noticeably better.

Which means, as near as I can tell, the baseline for AI civs should have them prioritizing production bonuses by a larger factor than civs that have a specific agenda bias for it currently do, but they don't, because the AI is actually programmed to prioritize YEILD_PRODUCTION which isn't a thing.

So as a quick and dirty experiment I fired up an autoplay mod and ran a game for 151 turns on the true start Earth map. Here are some choice graphs for an unmodded game:

And here's the same civs, same start map, with the YEILD preferences corrected:

So... yeah. Civ 6's AI is hobbled by a really dumb typo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

From today’s vermintide 2 patch notes:

code:
 Game no longer uninstalls itself after a particularly rare crash

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

these are the END TIMES

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Didn’t uninstalling Eve Online used to delete your C drive or something?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

There have been multiple games where uninstalling them will accidentally uninstall something else, maybe lots of other things. Myth 2. Pool of Radiance. Probably others.

The EVE thing IIRC was they pushed an update to the game that also messed with a critical system file and made some people's PCs unbootable.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Testekill posted:

I've been playing Dragon Ball Fusions lately and I ran into an odd glitch; so you can create new characters by ex-fusing two different characters and this gives them special abilities and poo poo like that. One of the abilities is called Call EX and it instantly moves another character on the field to right next to the user. So I was in a battle and used Call and it worked but then suddenly the two characters involved just started sliding across the battlefield and along one of the edges of the map.

It didn't cause any problems but it was certainly a bit odd to see.

I've had that happen too. Unfortunately when it happened to me I was trying to get a character with healing shout near the rest of my players, instead the healer and the person who called them ended up on the edge of the arena, away from the rest of my party.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

RatHat posted:

Some early versions of Half-life deleted the parent folder (e.g. 'd:\games') when you uninstalled.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

haveblue posted:

There have been multiple games where uninstalling them will accidentally uninstall something else, maybe lots of other things. Myth 2. Pool of Radiance. Probably others.

The EVE thing IIRC was they pushed an update to the game that also messed with a critical system file and made some people's PCs unbootable.

Yeah it was supposed to delete a file in the Eve directory named "boot.ini" but instead deleted every file named boot.ini including that quite important one your computer needs when booting up. https://www.eveonline.com/article/about-the-boot.ini-issue/

:ccp:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

EVE had always contained a file called boot.ini. One update installed into the wrong folder, which also happened to contain a file called boot.ini, which it naturally overwrote. This file, as it turns out, is pretty important.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The recent addition of player character moods had some unintended side effects in TG Space Station 13, but we're all good now!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
PYF Funniest Game Glitch: Being happy no longer makes you obese.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Fixed a couple bugs with surgery that made it so you couldn't cut out headspiders or ice spiders. Part of the issue: trying to cut parasites out of someone would make it try to cut them out of the surgeon, not the patient. Whoops.

quote:

Bleeding damage should be harder to stack up to "all my blood fell out, help" levels.

quote:

Tooltips should no longer get stuck if you hover over a bunch of 'em too fast. Or not I dunno, fuckin race conditions man.

quote:

Hey maybe tooltips wont steal focus and flash whitespace errwhere how about that huh.
Credit to EMP Fingers and Cgrn10 for helping me debug tooltip issues for like 2 hours solid.
As always, your first round or two with the new tooltip code will probably be broken as fuuuuck because of caches. Just roll with it.
This patch was pushed and quickly reverted last week after it broke clicking on things for people. Maybe now it wont do...that.

quote:

The station renaming program now has a 60 second global cooldown between name changes. You can only blame yourselves for this.

eidt:
https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/933020643360169984

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Mar 22, 2018

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

I wish all changelogs were this colorful.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
foreverially a cuckold

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Being happy no longer makes you obese loving slayed me. Holy moly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I thought being fat & jolly went hand in hand

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Laugh and grow fat!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krankenstyle posted:

I thought being fat & jolly went hand in hand

That's a common misconception. For instance, I'm fat and bitter as hell.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

From weeks ago but wow.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It even showed up on Kotaku! I didn't know it was a goon/some goons who discovered it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hirayuki posted:

It even showed up on Kotaku! I didn't know it was a goon/some goons who discovered it.

all PYF threads are mined by listicle authors, thats just the way it is (some things will never change~)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it originated in the thread for the game, where people encouraged spreading it around on Twitter and elsewhere so it'd get fixed

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ofaloaf posted:

something's gone wrong with my mods

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Strongly disagreed.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
It took me a while to notice that all the wheels are still lined up nicely on the track.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Far Cry 5 is out and it has some special moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bGQteg4KUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qw36EDlx0c

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
eeeehhhuuuhhhh is now my favorite 3D game glitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

eeeehhhuuuhhhh is now my favorite 3D game glitch.