Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴

shortspecialbus posted:

I haven't played this in a few years and am thinking of picking it back up.

What mods are worth getting these days? I am subscribed to all sorts of poo poo but who the heck knows if it's updated, broken, etc at this point. I'm mainly interested in QOL stuff and building/roadway variety especially of the non-micromanagement sort. How accurate is the OP on this stuff since it hasn't been updated since 2015 which coincidentally is about the last time I played this?

Among my mods, these are my favorites.

SkunkDuster posted:

Is there a mod that tells exactly what a building needs to level up instead of just the generic "provide more services or raise the land value"?

Try Extended Building Information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
tiny houses but from the 1700s: TRINITIES

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
In my current city, I've been getting a little bored with filling out the suburbs on a huge map. So I decided to turn on random disasters. After all, I'd played around with them in other cities, and they're usually not too bad. The forest fires don't do much (although it's kind of fun to see them burning through the hinterlands), the tsunamis only caused moderate flooding when I previously experienced them, the earthquakes and tornadoes and meteors were destructive but localized... hey, what's the worst that could happen?

And then I got a warning for an 8.5 magnitude tsunami.

Oh. Those are about 30 storey buildings.

Oh poo poo. (for reference, that's about a 50-metre hill that the tsunami is rolling over).

Yeah, pretty much any small structures were just gone; larger buildings were greyed and abandoned.

The tsunami swept over about 75% of the area of my city, sparing only the few hills. Waves crashed up the rivers and hit upstream areas from multiple directions.

I wasn't able to get the damage report, because that doesn't pop until the rescue services clear all the buildings, which would take about three days of real time to simulate. I can't buy any more disaster headquarters because the tsunami completely ruined my economy and now I'm about 4 million in the red on this save. At least my downtown looks like Fallout!

My population went from 215,000 to just over 100,000 by the time the waves made it off the map. The death toll of roughly 115K would make this the third worst tsunami in history. (TIL about the 365 Crete earthquake!)

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007
My god that is amazing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Holy poo poo your city got absolutely dunked on :staredog:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Fortunately, I have a save from about a half-hour before that. I'll post the city when I've got it completed, and not wrecked, to my liking.

I've also got a save right at the outset of the tsunami. It's... impressive. Any tips on video capture from Cities: Skylines?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

How do you view the city stats? I saw a video where it showed a line graph of population and I'll be damned if I can find it in the interface. Am I just blind, or is it an addon they are using?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SkunkDuster posted:

How do you view the city stats? I saw a video where it showed a line graph of population and I'll be damned if I can find it in the interface. Am I just blind, or is it an addon they are using?

ESC > City Stats, iirc.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

something's gone wrong with my mods

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ofaloaf posted:

Now, that poo poo looks impressive. I would 100% keep it that way.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is it supposed to be the world's longest train?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Minenfeld! posted:

Is it supposed to be the world's longest train?
Some train mods insist on giving their trains realistic consists, but those never jibe with the sort of abbreviated scale that Cities Skylines works at.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ofaloaf posted:

Some ... mods ... never jibe with the sort of abbreviated scale that Cities Skylines works at.

There's a lot of refusal to accept this overall, really. We're just not at the ability to 1:1 cities in a real sim game yet.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ofaloaf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sigs5YNT0M

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

This is art

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

MikeJF posted:

There's a lot of refusal to accept this overall, really. We're just not at the ability to 1:1 cities in a real sim game yet.

Some of the cities skylines youtube folks are making an accurately scaled major airport at the moment and it takes up most of the map, which really puts the scaling of the vanilla airports into perspective.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Some of the cities skylines youtube folks are making an accurately scaled major airport at the moment and it takes up most of the map, which really puts the scaling of the vanilla airports into perspective.

I had to look at this. I guess this is the first video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBowyWN5IRc

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Red Bones posted:

Although that said, they could have massive airports in vanilla if they had a mechanic where where you could build limited large things in the non-purchased squares, and you could build things like an international airport off in one of the outer tiles beyond the central 25.

I guess it'd be a bit like SimCity 2013's great works but less silly.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

nielsm posted:

I had to look at this. I guess this is the first video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBowyWN5IRc

Yeah, that's the one, and it is very good. Check out episode 3 for complete insanity dedication. The guy responsible for that one is doing another project on his own channel where he builds a giant mall complex.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K6TV7GR

Player survey from CO.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I told them a sequel should streamline the agent system and remove deathcare.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minenfeld! posted:

I told them a sequel should streamline the agent system and remove deathcare.

I actually really like the agent system and I wish that it was more elaborate, but less flexible.

As far as I know nobody in Cities: Skylines has a daily routine/weekly grind. They get up every day at a random hour, get ready for work and check google maps to find the fastest way there.

Fortunately, from the sounds of if TM:PE's team has figured out how to optimize the game pretty well to reduce unnecessary path finding checks (it turns out that when there's no roadside parking everyone walks :v:).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My only real negative feedback was that the simplicity of the traffic AI (and the preference of driving regardless of distance) makes cities really inefficient and encourages doing really weird abstract stuff to get traffic to flow properly. Other than that I was pretty positive on the game.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

i ahve the snow and the night DLCs, which other DLCs are good?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The only suggestion I had for them was that the water delivery really ought to work like the power system: Each structure gets a water "radius" and can get water if it touches another already watered structure and the player just has to worry about using pipes to connect to pumps and sewage facilities. As it stands now laying the pipes is just dumb busywork.

As far as DLC the Mass Transit one is worth picking up if it's on sale. The ferry and monorail additions are nice.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I asked them to separate wealth and density. I think that one change is basically holding back any sort of further development of the management aspects of the game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They added hearses pretty much to have an extra agent-based utility and couldn't think of one. Post would've been a better choice.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If they do a sequel, then trams need to be in it day 1, not DLC 1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOeKJgTl-7w&t=106s

Anybody know the name of the HUD mod along the bottom of the screen in this video? It's real slick.

edit: Found it, it's Extended InfoPanel.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 29, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

While I haven't played this game in months I'm attempting a project for it. I recently learned about the use of neural networks for image resizing and repairs, where a network can take an image and reimagine it differently by using learned information.

The one which I've been messing with has a function for debluring images, which has got me thinking about the Cities map editor.

Height maps made with the in game tools look like very blurry versions of real height maps. My basic idea at this point is to use the neural net to basically repair low detail cities maps to high detail.

My question now is what are some examples of good Cities maps that I can slot in beside the satellite maps? I'm open to any suggestions.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

I've had it about up to here with this game's traffic system. Miles upon miles of single-file tailbacks because the traffic can't find its way onto roundabouts and can't find its way off either - got to wait until someone spontaneously combusts so the whole stack of :downs: can shuffle along a few paces.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Use the intersection editor to remove the stop signs or replace them with yields if you haven't already.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

turn off the TV posted:

Use the intersection editor to remove the stop signs or replace them with yields if you haven't already.

Looking at that photo I think there's something dreadfully wrong offcamera to cause that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you need to set up priorities for a roundabout to work, the circle needs priority over the connecting roads and you don't want lights on it at all.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
No lights or sign fuckery going on:

...I'd bulldozed and replaced one of the arms and, annoyingly, it seems to have solved the problem.

shortspecialbus posted:

Looking at that photo I think there's something dreadfully wrong offcamera to cause that.

This is a remote roundabout : one arm links to the external connection, and the other three lead to completely separate settlements some distance away. It's not like a snarl-up elsewhere is causing tailbacks: it seems like the traffic has worked itself into a corner, and can't work out a path until a few vehicles despawn.

Bad luck or something, I dunno, but it's just frustrating looking at miles upon miles of single-file traffic because that's not how it works irl!!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just cannot loving wrap my head around how to use the public transportation that requires you to build a separate track. Trains, boats, and planes are obvious, and I can set up a pretty rad metro or bus or taxi system, but do you pretty much have to build your city around having a monorail for a monorail to work?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

spincube posted:

No lights or sign fuckery going on:

...I'd bulldozed and replaced one of the arms and, annoyingly, it seems to have solved the problem.

I haven't messed with the signage before, but if my knowledge of this game's AI logic is still accurate then you probably do want stop signs leading into the roundabout. Since the AI drivers in this game are perfect stops behave more along the line of yields. You may have been having issues before where cars exiting the roundabout were giving priority to cars entering the roundabout, and since cars can't exit if they're waiting for cars that can't enter then you get a jam.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just cannot loving wrap my head around how to use the public transportation that requires you to build a separate track. Trains, boats, and planes are obvious, and I can set up a pretty rad metro or bus or taxi system, but do you pretty much have to build your city around having a monorail for a monorail to work?

Grade separated rapid transportation is useful because it always has its own right of way, in terms of traffic and its network. A monorail can take passengers directly from point A to B much faster than a bus could, even if both vehicles follow the same road network, because the monorail doesn't follow any traffic laws.

In Cities Skylines monorails and metro are very similar in purpose . The main advantage that monorails have over metro is that they can be used in much rougher terrain, but because they're above ground they leave a larger footprint.

In real life monorails have a big advantage over metro because they're very quiet, and are still better in rough terrain. That's why they're used in zoos and theme parks. The only example of a large monorail system used as public transport is basically the ultimate nightmare scenario of urban planning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyXOKVjoqQA&t=122s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

turn off the TV posted:

Grade separated rapid transportation is useful because it always has its own right of way, in terms of traffic and its network. A monorail can take passengers directly from point A to B much faster than a bus could, even if both vehicles follow the same road network, because the monorail doesn't follow any traffic laws.

In Cities Skylines monorails and metro are very similar in purpose . The main advantage that monorails have over metro is that they can be used in much rougher terrain, but because they're above ground they leave a larger footprint.

In real life monorails have a big advantage over metro because they're very quiet, and are still better in rough terrain. That's why they're used in zoos and theme parks. The only example of a large monorail system used as public transport is basically the ultimate nightmare scenario of urban planning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyXOKVjoqQA&t=122s

So basically, any monorail system I build that the city's not actively designed around is going to be a hilarious clusterfuck. Got it.

I was hoping to achieve the dream the Simpsons gave me years ago. :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So basically, any monorail system I build that the city's not actively designed around is going to be a hilarious clusterfuck. Got it.

I was hoping to achieve the dream the Simpsons gave me years ago. :(

I'm not really sure what you mean, you just use them like subways except they're above ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What mods/workshop collections fill the void of Simcity 4's High Tech industry? I just got Green Cities but it doesn't seem to change industry itself all that much :sigh:

Also are there any mods which change the goals of unlocking Unique Buildings? Some of them are only unlocked when you seem to be playing poorly (be bankrupt, have hundreds of abandoned buildings, +50% crime rate). Seems kind of counter-intuitive.

buglord fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 1, 2018