Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Doom is a child's eternally superlative crayon drawn character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aphrodite posted:

Doctor Doom is a child's eternally superlative crayon drawn character.
Are you pitching a Doom/Flex Mentallo teamup?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Are you pitching a Doom/Flex Mentallo teamup?

DOOM GAMBLES NO STAMPS :doom:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is High Evolutionary cool?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

He's a science nerd who used his knowledge to make a bunch of furries. One of his furries became the literal devil of his planet of furries and it was a wolf that did it. He tried to recreate the ending of his favorite anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

So, no, the High Evolutionary is the exact opposite of cool.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If someone had just introduced High Evolutionary to 4X games or like, The Sims, maybe he wouldn't have felt the need to create an entire planet and civilization.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
High evolutionary's spore coming this fall

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Way to Godwin the discussion Thor.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Way to Godwin the discussion Thor.

The weird thing about that is Thor fought on the Nazi side of WWII (along with Dr. Doom for some weird reason given his heritage).

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Random Stranger posted:

The weird thing about that is Thor fought on the Nazi side of WWII (along with Dr. Doom for some weird reason given his heritage).

Doom (retconned later to be time-travelling with his platform) is at least the one who surreptitiously clues Thor into how Hitler was being less than completely honest with him, right after Thor almost killed a decoy Josef Stalin with lightning. Actually I'm pretty sure that whole Invaders issue was them playing hot potato with Stalin so Thor couldn't fry that luxurious mustache

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did thor really fight for the Nazis at one point

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So that's why nazicap could lift the hammer, mjolnir is a Nazi

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

Did thor really fight for the Nazis at one point

In an issue of Invaders, a Nazi scientist is building a transdimensional portal with the help of a young man with a bandaged face who later reveals himself to be Bachelor of Science Doom. They summon Thor who helps them fight the Invaders.

It's an idea that sounds way more clever than it turns out to be. And it has one of those endings where Doom has Hitler at his mercy, goes on about how awful he is, but doesn't actually kill him for no reason other than maintaining continuity.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I mean, the Nazis were super into Norse poo poo, it honestly makes a lot of sense that if Thor showed up and didn't otherwise know what the gently caress was going on, he'd throw in with the dudes who were worshipping him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Random Stranger posted:

In an issue of Invaders, a Nazi scientist is building a transdimensional portal with the help of a young man with a bandaged face who later reveals himself to be Bachelor of Science Doom. They summon Thor who helps them fight the Invaders.

It's an idea that sounds way more clever than it turns out to be
. And it has one of those endings where Doom has Hitler at his mercy, goes on about how awful he is, but doesn't actually kill him for no reason other than maintaining continuity.

My Roy Thomas sense is tingling!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, the Nazis were super into Norse poo poo, it honestly makes a lot of sense that if Thor showed up and didn't otherwise know what the gently caress was going on, he'd throw in with the dudes who were worshipping him.
The Nazis could absolutely trick Thor into fighting on their side for one good battle, the problem arising afterwards is what happens when he realized he'd been tricked. You'd also want to avoid ranting to him about the Rus since I think they were about as close to the Norse as any German was.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Why do that when you could convince him to assassinate Stalin as an enemy of the Norse people :science:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Random Stranger posted:

It's an idea that sounds way more clever than it turns out to be. And it has one of those endings where Doom has Hitler at his mercy, goes on about how awful he is, but doesn't actually kill him for no reason other than maintaining continuity.

I am positive that there was a follow up series in the 90s. (It was this series that had the Mole Man when he was an explorer before he became Uncle Moley.)
It showed that Doom couldn't murder Hitler because it would effect his own path. Which as a guy from a country that the Nazis would have wanted to wipe off the map, makes a lot of sense.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I am positive that there was a follow up series in the 90s. (It was this series that had the Mole Man when he was an explorer before he became Uncle Moley.)
It showed that Doom couldn't murder Hitler because it would effect his own path. Which as a guy from a country that the Nazis would have wanted to wipe off the map, makes a lot of sense.

I think that was when they retconned the story to be about a time traveling Doom. At the time the story was written, Reed and Ben had still fought in World War 2 so there was no "path" to affect. Doom could have shot Hitler in the head with no real consequences for him and only didn't because it didn't match real-world history (in which case, don't have Hitler at Doom's mercy and Doom talking about how he should kill Hitler as the climax of your story).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Like in the sense that the contingent historical events that led to the perfection that is DOOM required Adolf H. to be doing his thing, or in the sense that if Doom slew Hitler he would have committed a party foul and lost his status at the frat?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
IIRC, Doom specifically noted that Hitler had mostly lost the war at that point and was about to kill himself soon anyway. Hitler dying mysteriously instead might have created a new stab-in-the-back legend. But that's probably overthinking it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

I think that was when they retconned the story to be about a time traveling Doom. At the time the story was written, Reed and Ben had still fought in World War 2 so there was no "path" to affect. Doom could have shot Hitler in the head with no real consequences for him and only didn't because it didn't match real-world history (in which case, don't have Hitler at Doom's mercy and Doom talking about how he should kill Hitler as the climax of your story).

When I finally read the original Lee/Kirby run on F4, that was the one thing that completely fit for when it was written and also made it impossible to square with modern continuity, Reed Richards fought in WW2 and OG Nick Fury was his sergeant (Ben Grimm too, but he was a pilot and Richards was infantry so they didn't meet until college). Has there been anything written using the moving timeline to imply Reed Richards is a vet?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Silver2195 posted:

IIRC, Doom specifically noted that Hitler had mostly lost the war at that point and was about to kill himself soon anyway. Hitler dying mysteriously instead might have created a new stab-in-the-back legend. But that's probably overthinking it.

Pretty much, that's what I got.
Like, if in my timeline the Nazi's didn't conquer Latveria and murder my ancestors, I had best be careful when travelling back in time that I don't erase myself from existence.

This is a lesson that Norman Osborn learnt the hard way....once.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Skwirl posted:

When I finally read the original Lee/Kirby run on F4, that was the one thing that completely fit for when it was written and also made it impossible to square with modern continuity, Reed Richards fought in WW2 and OG Nick Fury was his sergeant (Ben Grimm too, but he was a pilot and Richards was infantry so they didn't meet until college). Has there been anything written using the moving timeline to imply Reed Richards is a vet?
Without the draft I don't think it makes sense for Reed to be a vet. Ben would make sense though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

Without the draft I don't think it makes sense for Reed to be a vet. Ben would make sense though.

Richards was a badass back in the day.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reed didn't become Reed Richards until Lee and Kirby had been at it for a while. He was a bit like a stretchier version of Doc Savage for a good few years at the start of FF.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

Yeah, Ben is definitely a veteran and you get people occasionally giving him a rank ("Captain Grimm") in conversations. Reed, however, seems to have had his military service quietly erased.

FWIW, Reed was in the OSS originally, sneaking behind enemy lines and doing some sabotage. Fury wasn't his sargent, Reed was a major in the issue of Sgt. Fury where he appears. And that makes sense; presumably Reed and Ben finished at least a degree first and then enlisted which would have pushed them into the officer corps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nessus posted:

Reed would have totally volunteered for WW2. James Stewart enlisted and got pissed they wanted him to make training films instead of go out and kill Nazis (John Wayne got a deferment, because he's a loving pussy).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Reed would have totally volunteered for WW2. James Stewart enlisted and got pissed they wanted him to make training films instead of go out and kill Nazis (John Wayne got a deferment, because he's a loving pussy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uv_WGEHr4I

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I could see Grimm wanting to punch the poo poo out of Nazis

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah I mean more like narratively speaking, it would significantly alter Reed's characterization if he was a veteran in the late 90s or whatever based on The Sliding Timeline. In the mid-60s that was just a thing just about anyone was involved with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nessus posted:

Oh yeah I mean more like narratively speaking, it would significantly alter Reed's characterization if he was a veteran in the late 90s or whatever based on The Sliding Timeline. In the mid-60s that was just a thing just about anyone was involved with.

Yeah, I can't imagine Reed signing up for the military at any point past 1945, maybe at the start of Vietnam just to make it less likely someone else got drafted.

That would actually be a hell of a What If? something goes wrong with Reed Richard's student deferment and he's in the same platoon as Frank Castle.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what if reed richards became the punisher

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What If...? Reed Richards Punished Someone Other than His Closest Family and Friends for a Change?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

I could see Grimm wanting to punch the poo poo out of Nazis

I could see him being a coward.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I could see him being a coward.

I can't.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

He'd change his tune once Sue calls him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
isnt ben jewish? i cant imagine hed go over to europe and then chicken out on killing some nazis