Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Forever Stranded: Lost Souls seems like it does something interesting with Infernal Mobs in that they start out being barely more powerful than regular mobs but scale up as you progress. You don't get bullshit to death from the get-go like you did in, say, Blast Off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

FTB also started you with a dark matter axe, which is something I wish more skyblocks did. You're going to be chopping trees down for hours anyway, might as well make it not take quite as long. It would go well with Progressive Automation as well, since you could slap it in a farming block and not have to worry about it breaking.

Good news, FTB Pyramid gives you unbreakable tools immediately.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Good news, FTB Pyramid gives you unbreakable tools immediately.

and if you fall off the island they're gone forever because /keepinventory doesn't work and there's no grave mod. yeah, didn't take me long to nope out of that modpack

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
The concept is neat of turning RF into items directly but I got stalled out when the second question wouldnt complete. I stuck a furnace generator in the quest chest and a big fat nothing happened. Tried it a couple times on multiple sides of the pyramid. Oh well.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Dropbox has been acting strange lately but the link should still work from Technic. If not, you can try it directly here.

I'm totally loving this pack, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Curious if I'm doing anything wrong with my bloomery; the wiki says you can expand it up two layers but it doesn't seem to accept more than 16 despite the height (the rest "float" above the coal block):

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bouchacha posted:

I'm totally loving this pack, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Curious if I'm doing anything wrong with my bloomery; the wiki says you can expand it up two layers but it doesn't seem to accept more than 16 despite the height (the rest "float" above the coal block):

Throw the charcoal and ore in together as items; they should be consumed and turn into blocks.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Throw the charcoal and ore in together as items; they should be consumed and turn into blocks.

Thanks, I feel dumb because I figured it out a minute after making the post.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Finally got through Botania on MSB3, gently caress that mod to the ends of the earth and back.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

Finally got through Botania on MSB3, gently caress that mod to the ends of the earth and back.

:allears: What was the issue?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What are some major mods since 1.7.10 that have become very commonplace and influential? I know to factor in Actually Additions, and I wonder if I should be thinking about Draconic Evolution because y'all kept talking about it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are some major mods since 1.7.10 that have become very commonplace and influential? I know to factor in Actually Additions, and I wonder if I should be thinking about Draconic Evolution because y'all kept talking about it.

Well, Draconic Evolution hasn't really changed a whole lot since 1.7.10, so I doubt it qualifies in terms of "mods that entered the fray after 1.7.10." It is a perennial closer, though.

Thinking on it, I'd say that the new thermal expansion probably qualifies, even though it was present in earlier versions of Minecraft. The way the mod works is pretty different, even if it has a bunch of the old machines, and it has a ton of new ones and new ways to use them as well. Astral Sorcery is also brand new, and it seems to be working its way into a lot of packs lately. Embers, too, though Embers doesn't really seem to have a lot of point to it other than "it's cool to shoot fire beams around to do stuff."

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Mods that should go away and never come back: Actually Additions.

Canola is the dumbest, fps killing poo poo that doesn't even give good rf/t for the effort, its internal crafting systems are awkward, and lens of the miner is the most broken auto mining thing to ever exist. It's the cheapest rf/t, cheapest resource cost upfront, and destroys your fps as well. Literally can go from starting the game to infinite ore in under 3 hours with AA.

I guess if you disable half the mod it has a bunch of cool blocks and tools.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hooplah posted:

and if you fall off the island they're gone forever because /keepinventory doesn't work and there's no grave mod. yeah, didn't take me long to nope out of that modpack

You can open up your save with NBTE and set allow commands to 1, that'll let you turn on keepinventory. It'll also let you activate JEI cheats.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Well, Draconic Evolution hasn't really changed a whole lot since 1.7.10, so I doubt it qualifies in terms of "mods that entered the fray after 1.7.10." It is a perennial closer, though.

Thinking on it, I'd say that the new thermal expansion probably qualifies, even though it was present in earlier versions of Minecraft. The way the mod works is pretty different, even if it has a bunch of the old machines, and it has a ton of new ones and new ways to use them as well. Astral Sorcery is also brand new, and it seems to be working its way into a lot of packs lately. Embers, too, though Embers doesn't really seem to have a lot of point to it other than "it's cool to shoot fire beams around to do stuff."

Okay I should qualify maybe more like "came to its own possibly in 1.7.10 and kept up past that to the point it shows up in many modpacks." It could have even been around in 1.6.8 in some obscure or unknown form.

To show my hand, I'm figuring out what I should have for a BFSR 1.12 modlist. Nobody get excited because I have been pecking at this forever, but I'm glad to see Galacticraft move up. Now I can at least make a fairly uniform migration.

I got nowhere with Embers; I just had to deal with a bunch of golems when I tried Modern Skyblock and that's about as far as it got. I really don't know what that pack even does. It also appears to have a "no longer maintained" thing up on Curseforge.

Did the Astral Sorcery dude unbutthurt themselves of Thaumcraft and decide to continue to support it?

Immersive Engineering is another one that might have been around for awhile but I didn't really hear about it until post-1.7.10. I see the complaints about it but it appears to be a regular intermediate step throw into other progression-based challenge packs.

I intend to add in Botania because I kind of missed it the first time around. Pam's Harvestcraft is going in since a lot of packs put in a hunger mod. I'm thinking of adding one that is only toggled on for the player after a certain point in a quest book about food. I don't know if that's possible. Finally, the Prefab mod is the perfect thing for a tutorial pack to just set down a pretty little place and get straight to it.

Khorne posted:

Mods that should go away and never come back: Actually Additions.

Canola is the dumbest, fps killing poo poo that doesn't even give good rf/t for the effort, its internal crafting systems are awkward, and lens of the miner is the most broken auto mining thing to ever exist. It's the cheapest rf/t, cheapest resource cost upfront, and destroys your fps as well. Literally can go from starting the game to infinite ore in under 3 hours with AA.

I guess if you disable half the mod it has a bunch of cool blocks and tools.

I'm fine with that. However, going post-scarcity within 3 hours is hardly a trait of just one pack. I think it was fairly typical in the past with Mekanism to hit the digital miner in two hours if you have a deadline.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Other way around, it was the Embers guy who exploded over Thaumcraft, hence the no longer supported sign. Astral sorcery is a different person, either always or is now, and is still supported afaik.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay I'll have to actually try Astral Sorcery. It sounded like a major perk of it was making night time worthwhile.

What's the consensus on Roots these days?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's the consensus on Roots these days?

Meh mod made by a giant baby that could disappear from curseforge at any time

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Isn't Roots the one that, every tick, checks your name and entire inventory, and if you have the right name and right item it gives you basically mod powers on the server?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:allears: What was the issue?

I just really really dislike the mod, I find it tedious, unintuitive and sometimes stuff just straight up doesn't work with no obvious reason as to why.

There's also no "easy" fire and forget system of generating Mana you have to baby the drat setup all the way through. Passive generating flowers dying off was the worst change.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

AceClown posted:

I just really really dislike the mod, I find it tedious, unintuitive and sometimes stuff just straight up doesn't work with no obvious reason as to why.

There's also no "easy" fire and forget system of generating Mana you have to baby the drat setup all the way through. Passive generating flowers dying off was the worst change.

on Botania i usually make a potato mana farm, but it doesnt work on some MP server who lower the hopper rate to stop duping systems using hoppers

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay I should qualify maybe more like "came to its own possibly in 1.7.10 and kept up past that to the point it shows up in many modpacks." It could have even been around in 1.6.8 in some obscure or unknown form.

To show my hand, I'm figuring out what I should have for a BFSR 1.12 modlist. Nobody get excited because I have been pecking at this forever, but I'm glad to see Galacticraft move up. Now I can at least make a fairly uniform migration.

I got nowhere with Embers; I just had to deal with a bunch of golems when I tried Modern Skyblock and that's about as far as it got. I really don't know what that pack even does. It also appears to have a "no longer maintained" thing up on Curseforge.

Did the Astral Sorcery dude unbutthurt themselves of Thaumcraft and decide to continue to support it?

Immersive Engineering is another one that might have been around for awhile but I didn't really hear about it until post-1.7.10. I see the complaints about it but it appears to be a regular intermediate step throw into other progression-based challenge packs.

I intend to add in Botania because I kind of missed it the first time around. Pam's Harvestcraft is going in since a lot of packs put in a hunger mod. I'm thinking of adding one that is only toggled on for the player after a certain point in a quest book about food. I don't know if that's possible. Finally, the Prefab mod is the perfect thing for a tutorial pack to just set down a pretty little place and get straight to it.

I'm fine with that. However, going post-scarcity within 3 hours is hardly a trait of just one pack. I think it was fairly typical in the past with Mekanism to hit the digital miner in two hours if you have a deadline.

I really like doing the Pam's + CFB + FFB + Nutrition wombocombo. Nutrition is basically the opposite of Spice of Life - it encourages you to maintain a varied diet, and rewards you with up to 10 extra hearts if you do so.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

Huh? Is three redstone dust, a hopper, open crate, and wooden pressure plate too difficult or something? Endoflames are stupid easy to automate.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Huh? Is three redstone dust, a hopper, open crate, and wooden pressure plate too difficult or something? Endoflames are stupid easy to automate.

Yeah, when you think about Botania like the tech mod it is, it makes sense why they started killing off the passive flowers.

Newbies (like me when I first got into it) see 'free mana' and beeline straight for it, even though setting up a mana system using just dayblooms would be like setting up your power system using only 5RF/t survivalist generators, when it's much more effort-efficient to make a few coal generators (endoflames), culinary generators (gourmaryllis), or what have you.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wouldn't describe a digital miner as post scarcity. It doesn't get ore nearly as fast or cheaply power or cost wise, and you have to move it all the time. The digital miner is a bit tedious.

My biggest gripes are really just lens of the miner and the fps-murder in-world stuff. The name of the mod also bothers me a lot for some reason. If I ran a server I'd disable lens of the miner but otherwise keep the mod.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I tried that but the endoflames started doing this weird fizzing thing and the mana wasn't emptying from them (I think) so I don't know.

If I had a GUI so I could actually see what is going on then I probably wouldn't be so salty.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Did you move your mana spreader? They'd need to be re bound to it with the wand if you did, which might be why they aren't emptying.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

I tried that but the endoflames started doing this weird fizzing thing and the mana wasn't emptying from them (I think) so I don't know.

If I had a GUI so I could actually see what is going on then I probably wouldn't be so salty.

Look at the flower while holding a wand of the forest. Right click it to make the HUD update. If it has a mana spreader icon with a red X on it, that means it isn't properly bound to a spreader. Either use shift-right click to start linking it to a spreader, or make a floral obedience stick to mass-bind all generating flowers in the area to the spreader at once.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

botania doesn't have every single number thrown at you but it's set up in a way where you don't need it to. things are really easy to set up and automate, and the passive mana flowers were pretty awful compared to just making even a single endoflame, which were even lowered in cost once the passives were removed to make them better work as starter mana generators.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

botania doesn't have every single number thrown at you but it's set up in a way where you don't need it to. things are really easy to set up and automate, and the passive mana flowers were pretty awful compared to just making even a single endoflame, which were even lowered in cost once the passives were removed to make them better work as starter mana generators.

Botania and Astral Sorcery have a completely 'set it and forget it' synergy where you can use redirected starlight on a pumpkin to turn it into a cake for the cake-eating mana flower to consume.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

If you add a mod to an existing world that provides new ores, those ores will show up when new chunks are generated, right? So I would just have to venture far enough away for overworld ores, and new nether ores would be present when I get around to going there?

I only started this game last night, so it wouldn’t be a huge loss to start over. But I haven’t gone very far, either, so it shouldn’t be too far for new chunks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magmarashi posted:

Botania and Astral Sorcery have a completely 'set it and forget it' synergy where you can use redirected starlight on a pumpkin to turn it into a cake for the cake-eating mana flower to consume.

holy poo poo, i never messed with the mods together all that much but that's rad

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

runchild posted:

If you add a mod to an existing world that provides new ores, those ores will show up when new chunks are generated, right? So I would just have to venture far enough away for overworld ores, and new nether ores would be present when I get around to going there?

This is correct. Some of them even have commands to regenerate existing chunks to include those ores.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Khorne posted:

I wouldn't describe a digital miner as post scarcity. It doesn't get ore nearly as fast or cheaply power or cost wise, and you have to move it all the time. The digital miner is a bit tedious.

My biggest gripes are really just lens of the miner and the fps-murder in-world stuff. The name of the mod also bothers me a lot for some reason. If I ran a server I'd disable lens of the miner but otherwise keep the mod.
Oh so it's more like the old mining laser on easy mode or something?

dragonshardz posted:

I really like doing the Pam's + CFB + FFB + Nutrition wombocombo. Nutrition is basically the opposite of Spice of Life - it encourages you to maintain a varied diet, and rewards you with up to 10 extra hearts if you do so.

Is "CFB" Cooking for Blockheads and "FFB" Farming for Blockheads?

AceClown posted:

Beyond what others have said, you might not have had enough spreaders. It looks like a regular spreader can only manage somewhere around eight endoflames, and even that's dependent on what's eating the mana up on the other end and how far apart your spacing the spreaders.

runchild posted:

I only started this game last night, so it wouldn't be a huge loss to start over. But I haven't gone very far, either, so it shouldnt be too far for new chunks.

If you want to be Fancy McFancyPants, you can use Orespawn or CoFH World to specify the new ores with retrogen and shut them off from their original mod. I think Nether Metals is the new Nether Ores--I'm figuring out how closely it corresponds--and that is build on Orespawn, so you might already have retrogen.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh so it's more like the old mining laser on easy mode or something?
What if it cost 1 diamond, 1 emerald, and next to nothing else? That's lens of the miner. I suppose you need to know how to set it up because automating it isn't 100% intuitive.

MFR mining lasers are back in 1.12.2 with Industrial Foregoing. They take a real investment of time and resources.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you want to be Fancy McFancyPants, you can use Orespawn or CoFH World to specify the new ores with retrogen and shut them off from their original mod. I think Nether Metals is the new Nether Ores--I'm figuring out how closely it corresponds--and that is build on Orespawn, so you might already have retrogen.

I gave up on Nether Metals and End Metals last night because they require Base Metals, and I didn’t want all those extra ores or the copies of Forestry’s Tin and Copper (even with InstantUnify converting as soon as they’re mined). I guess it might be possible to turn off the Base Metals I don’t want in MMD OreSpawn’s config? I’m thinking I ought to just use Ore Core instead. Then I can replace Dense Metals & Simple Gravel Ores* and add the experience ores I was thinking about but couldn’t find.

*Didn’t seem to be working anyways

runchild fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 16, 2018

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I think AA is a great mod, but yeah, there are a couple somewhat busted items.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Actually Additions definitely has some good stuff. Portable crafting tables, some fun worldgen structures, rice, flax plants for string, and whatnot. I'm also deeply infatuated with the ESD and its item lasers -- they are super useful at automating weird machines since ESDs can target specific inventory slots. The lasers are also super useful for gluing together random inventories -- an item interface acts as a combined insert or extract point for every inventory point connected by laser.

However, I also get that AA is terrible for performance. For example, I used LagGoggles to profile my MSB3 base, and the ESD that is filtering mob drops from my mob spawner is taking up an order of magnitude more tick time than any other block in my base.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
AA also has a secret mechanic that will convert any item into another random item. That seems kind of broken to me.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is "CFB" Cooking for Blockheads and "FFB" Farming for Blockheads?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
On the Twitch launcher, I get a crash on load from the newer Minecraft version packs, but I was able to load Project Ozone 2.

Here's the crash log from trying to launch Enigmatica 2: https://pastebin.com/Q6wm5wFn