Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'm surprsied CH chains are still a thing, I played all the way to TSS and we stopped using CH chains before DoN and switched to a combo of fast heals and the bigger slower heals (but not CH). Sometimes I'd use the druid CH if damage was very predictable and I know clerics would do the same, but we didn't do chains.

We did run a lean raid crew though, somewhere between 24-35 actual people with a total of 45-60 toons on the raids, and people knew how to duck heals to not blow through their mana.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Regarding enchanters, I don't know when charming becomes useless, but they're still good in DODH for charming for exp in certain spots. In some cases, they're still the best exp, but even then, as long as they can charm something there, they're pulling weight.

I thought nothing in Paw was charmable. Prob wrong I guess

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tai posted:

I thought nothing in Paw was charmable. Prob wrong I guess

lol. You're probably right - Paw being the best exp. Just saying there's still other options that are still really good with charming (or were a few months ago when I last bothered with exp) that were comparable. Paw exp really depends on competition a lot.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Decided to scrap my dual necro farming plan, and instead roll a Druid / Bard or Druid / Monk. Mostly I wanted to farm for krono in the early weeks, but I can just farm krono out of EC, I did it before on Agnarr starting with zero krono in the bank, so why the hell should I spend my time farming when I could just be a tunnel rat for less effort and more profit. Part of the determining factor was hearing that past classic, Necros really are lackluster so thanks for saving me a regrettable grind.

Also, something about having a Druid is just an essential for me. They’re just too drat useful as a first character.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

onesixtwo posted:

Decided to scrap my dual necro farming plan, and instead roll a Druid / Bard or Druid / Monk. Mostly I wanted to farm for krono in the early weeks, but I can just farm krono out of EC, I did it before on Agnarr starting with zero krono in the bank, so why the hell should I spend my time farming when I could just be a tunnel rat for less effort and more profit. Part of the determining factor was hearing that past classic, Necros really are lackluster so thanks for saving me a regrettable grind.

Also, something about having a Druid is just an essential for me. They’re just too drat useful as a first character.

Druid is for ports? Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it if it is for porting. Plenty of porters outside EC. Monk/bard is a great combo but shaman/monk is even better.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
How do we find out when the fabled stuff starts happening? Is it just on the anniversary you know to go looking for old school mobs? Or do they make an official announcement?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Doctor Party posted:

How do we find out when the fabled stuff starts happening? Is it just on the anniversary you know to go looking for old school mobs? Or do they make an official announcement?

https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Anniversary this site has all the anniversary info

schedule is

March 16-31 50% Bonus Experience
March 16-May 10 14th through 19th anniversary quests, missions, and raids
April 12-May 10 5th through 13th anniversary quests, missions, raids, and Fabled mobs

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Is that bonus XP on the TLPs as well?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Tai posted:

Druid is for ports? Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it if it is for porting. Plenty of porters outside EC. Monk/bard is a great combo but shaman/monk is even better.

Druid is for solo camping some drops, the utility of having ports without using Taxi, probably port whoring for early spell money, and PLs. I see the Druid as one of the better classic classes due to how versatile they are, even if they have less DPS or healing than their counterparts. Sure every DPS class can do more than them, but a Druid can start an exp group if there aren’t any clerics around whereas a mage can just.. well okay, get more mages and out burn the mobs before healing is needed, sure. Still kind of a preference choice though, and it wouldn’t be my first venture to having a Druid so I know how to play the role to what the group needs.

Monk / Shaman is definitely god tier Duo, but added benefit to leveling a druid first comes in having a PL box for anything else leveled, so that Monk / Shaman duo gets that much easier to level with SLN & Thorns sitting on the Shaman’s account logging in to refresh every so often. I’m an alt whore, so it seems beneficial to do the Druid first for that reason, too. I often find myself being a friendly rear end in a top hat buffing groups in newbie zones as well, so there is that.

E: great, this is my typical, ‘days before launch, rethink everything’ cycle all over again. Watch me end up as a Chanter / Cleric like I have on Agnarr just because of how OP they are together! (Note: please ensure I am dead if I do this)

gepgepgep posted:

Is that bonus XP on the TLPs as well?

They always have been in the past.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 15, 2018

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
50% bonus exp for this seems kinda weak but then again double might be a bit much with Coirnav launching the same day.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Druid is for solo camping some drops, the utility of having ports without using Taxi, probably port whoring for early spell money, and PLs. I see the Druid as one of the better classic classes due to how versatile they are, even if they have less DPS or healing than their counterparts. Sure every DPS class can do more than them, but a Druid can start an exp group if there aren’t any clerics around whereas a mage can just.. well okay, get more mages and out burn the mobs before healing is needed, sure. Still kind of a preference choice though, and it wouldn’t be my first venture to having a Druid so I know how to play the role to what the group needs.

Monk / Shaman is definitely god tier Duo, but added benefit to leveling a druid first comes in having a PL box for anything else leveled, so that Monk / Shaman duo gets that much easier to level with SLN & Thorns sitting on the Shaman’s account logging in to refresh every so often. I’m an alt whore, so it seems beneficial to do the Druid first for that reason, too. I often find myself being a friendly rear end in a top hat buffing groups in newbie zones as well, so there is that.

E: great, this is my typical, ‘days before launch, rethink everything’ cycle all over again. Watch me end up as a Chanter / Cleric like I have on Agnarr just because of how OP they are together! (Note: please ensure I am dead if I do this)

They always have been in the past.

How did you like chanter/cleric? I am trying to decide which priest do pair with a chanter on the new server. I like shaman as a class the most but they don't seem to really have a lot of interesting spells before kunark

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Solarin posted:

How did you like chanter/cleric? I am trying to decide which priest do pair with a chanter on the new server. I like shaman as a class the most but they don't seem to really have a lot of interesting spells before kunark

Enchanter / Cleric is an amazing duo and I would argue for it being the most viable Enchanter combo class without really any close competition. That duo will let you solo almost every camp in Classic and most of Kunark, and lets you level anywhere. Plus, you are a portable group minus warm bodies to pull for you.

CHeal is broken-good powerful for charmed pets (who have massive HP pools) so you can just keep the same pet rolling through mobs. For example I’d do the Hole Entrance with my druid friend, and my cleric/ench. Charm one of the elementals in the pit, and use it to murder everything, Druid was there to root / dot for added ticks and safety. Only one taking damage is the pet, so when it gets to 20% start casting CHeal, and just rinse repeat. It’s rather simple, but for me it was a lot more productive to just keep the same pet for as long as possible instead of ‘wait until it hits 10%.. invis, kill both, get new pet..’ since that cycle time just took so much more effort and spell gems to do for every third pull, etc.

Oh, big tip to leveling as an enchanter with a charm pet you keep alive: Steal Charm mobs from another camp’s pulling area, this way you won’t lose out on a mob each spawn cycle. Don’t be a dick and steal their PHs as a pet, tho. Just be a dick and steal their exp, they didn’t need it anyway.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 15, 2018

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I haven't played Everquest in literally 15 years and am making a bad decision because I have time on my hands.

The OP was last edited four years ago. What's the general go-to server that people are on nowadays? Or are there even options? (I haven't finished reinstalling yet.) If it makes a difference, I will be actually soloing - I don't like to multibox so I won't be, but I understand there's a mercenary system now to help with that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Prism posted:

I haven't played Everquest in literally 15 years and am making a bad decision because I have time on my hands.

The OP was last edited four years ago. What's the general go-to server that people are on nowadays? Or are there even options? (I haven't finished reinstalling yet.) If it makes a difference, I will be actually soloing - I don't like to multibox so I won't be, but I understand there's a mercenary system now to help with that.

TLP servers are the thing now, corinav is about to open (or is opening today?) which is a new server, so it will start at classic and then every 8-12 weeks (not sure on the time frame) the next expansion will open.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Prism posted:

https://www.everquest.com/news/true-box-progression-server-faq-coirnav-march-2018

Perfect time to make a bad decision!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MF_James posted:

TLP servers are the thing now, corinav is about to open (or is opening today?) which is a new server, so it will start at classic and then every 8-12 weeks (not sure on the time frame) the next expansion will open.

onesixtwo posted:

Perfect time to make a bad decision!

Oh, good timing then. I didn't even know!

Maybe I'll get my necromancing on again. Or try an SK or a monk or something since I never really did melee.

Edit: Are the new classes that aren't in the early expansions, like Beastlord, available on this server? Because that one looks like fun.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 16, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Prism posted:

Oh, good timing then. I didn't even know!

Maybe I'll get my necromancing on again. Or try an SK or a monk or something since I never really did melee.

Edit: Are the new classes that aren't in the early expansions, like Beastlord, available on this server? Because that one looks like fun.

They aren't available until the relevant expansion. Also, melee is king poo poo in the DPS department now.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MF_James posted:

They aren't available until the relevant expansion. Also, melee is king poo poo in the DPS department now.

RIP beastlord, but you're definitely making me look more into SK/monk.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Prism posted:

Goons aren't concentrated anywhere.

If you're looking to solo - TLPs aren't a good choice, and you can molo (solo + merc) on live servers until the 80s or so at which point you need to group (lol, good luck) or start boxing. That said, you can totally get that nostalgia fix with an 80s character, go around solo'ing and exploring all kinds of fun old poo poo. I remember solo'ing the revamped Phara Dar on my like level 80 monk.

MF_James posted:

They open every 12 weeks for the first many expansions. They've said LoY is even going to get its own 12 weeks this time (unlike Phinny, which had it wrapped up with PoP or LDON or something).

After LDON, it goes 12 weeks if there's a level cap bump, otherwise just 8 weeks.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 16, 2018

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Prism posted:

RIP beastlord, but you're definitely making me look more into SK/monk.

Monk is a solid choice. Great DPS, can tank in pinch and solos well later on with AA/Gear. I'd expect it to be a popular class. Boxes really well with a shaman.

SK is by far and away the most powerful solo class (don't know about live). Does pretty decent damage in future expansions and some sick burns. It can solo stuff no other class can do due to fairly high damage, self healing and high AC. As it is a tank class, you'll have no problem finding groups either. It becomes a monster with raid gear. Boxing it with a Shaman and you have the best 2 box set up imo. This lets you do so much (and make a tonne of plat/krono). Throw in an auto follow bard for a 3rd box and it is insane. Once OoW hits, SK also becomes the best power leveling class bar none. No one comes close and again, you can make a boat load of cash for easy power leveling. SK also generates stupid amounts of threat for keeping aggro and it's really easy to do it.

Tai fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 16, 2018

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Amazing no-one the server has died horribly on launch.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
So I used to play Bard in a pretty high-tier raiding guild in PoP era, but now coming back all these years later I want a much more chill experience. I don't feel like pulling unless it's absolutely essential, and I remember how much I hated doing Mez poo poo back then. What should I play that will be decent but also low-stress?

e: I will play Bard again if I have to, because dear god I hate playing without Selo's.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tai posted:

Monk is a solid choice. Great DPS, can tank in pinch and solos well later on with AA/Gear. I'd expect it to be a popular class. Boxes really well with a shaman.

SK is by far and away the most powerful solo class (don't know about live). Does pretty decent damage in future expansions and some sick burns. It can solo stuff no other class can do due to fairly high damage, self healing and high AC. As it is a tank class, you'll have no problem finding groups either. It becomes a monster with raid gear. Boxing it with a Shaman and you have the best 2 box set up imo. This lets you do so much (and make a tonne of plat/krono). Throw in an auto follow bard for a 3rd box and it is insane. Once OoW hits, SK also becomes the best power leveling class bar none. No one comes close and again, you can make a boat load of cash for easy power leveling. SK also generates stupid amounts of threat for keeping aggro and it's really easy to do it.

Thanks for the information. I don't intend to multibox but it's good to know.

Are SKs ever taken as DPS if no more off-tanks are needed, or is it a 'gently caress off, we're full' sort of thing where they want a real DPS?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

So I used to play Bard in a pretty high-tier raiding guild in PoP era, but now coming back all these years later I want a much more chill experience. I don't feel like pulling unless it's absolutely essential, and I remember how much I hated doing Mez poo poo back then. What should I play that will be decent but also low-stress?

e: I will play Bard again if I have to, because dear god I hate playing without Selo's.

Wizards, Mages, Rogues and Monks are all low effort. Hopefully a decent group won't ask the monk to pull unless something needs splitting but as a bard, yea sadly you'll be pulling in groups.

Prism posted:

Thanks for the information. I don't intend to multibox but it's good to know.

Are SKs ever taken as DPS if no more off-tanks are needed, or is it a 'gently caress off, we're full' sort of thing where they want a real DPS?

Probably. As expansions go by, their DPS goes up. Can't see much problem having them while leveling up. Maybe once people are grouping for AA's then people might be a bit more cookie cutter and get a pure DPS class. I'd expect the average pubbie who does a /w all lfg will take a DPS class over you though unless there aren't any.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Prism posted:

Judging from the serverwide.gchat channel, I see most people on phinigel tlp server, a couple on xeg and bristlebane. I play on luclin and I know of at least two other goons in my guild. Playing on live, you basically need to box to support yourself. Since that's not your thing, tlp true box (phinny or corinav) is probably your best bet.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Woo, got my 16 names reserved on Corinav.

Now to decide which dumb pairings of names to put together for my leveling plans after work!

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
On Coirnav as Pinuvil, Half Elf Bard. Send me a message if you wanna group!

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
for some reason my roommate and I have rolled toons on Coirnav. In as my typical AwwYiss.

Karael, are you playing on Coirnav? i saw Ashkari, Coro, and a few others. I know mabbu is around as well trying to lay low while running a guild.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
FFffuck I just saw they launched a new server.

Are wizards good? I've never played EQ seriously

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Verbose posted:

FFffuck I just saw they launched a new server.

Are wizards good? I've never played EQ seriously

They launched and then the whole thing crashed. Game servers, website, it's all hosed. Wizards are the best caster dps class. They go through phases of being good, then trash, then good again.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

So I hear a new progression server has just opened. I hear it's not supposed have boxing, but how does that pan out in reality? Are these servers swamped by people playing by themselves?

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second

Philonius posted:

So I hear a new progression server has just opened. I hear it's not supposed have boxing, but how does that pan out in reality? Are these servers swamped by people playing by themselves?

Plenty of people play on multiple machines (which is allowed) so there's still some "boxing", but it's pretty easy to find a group, as opposed to servers that allow all forms of boxing.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

sevenflow posted:

Plenty of people play on multiple machines (which is allowed) so there's still some "boxing", but it's pretty easy to find a group, as opposed to servers that allow all forms of boxing.

What's the meta if I want to have an easy time finding groups? Cleric is a given of course (and is what I used to main), but what else ?

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Philonius posted:

What's the meta if I want to have an easy time finding groups? Cleric is a given of course (and is what I used to main), but what else ?

Enchanter, Bard, or a tank are high up on the list, but you’ll probably be fine finding groups regardless of class.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

iNteg posted:

Karael, are you playing on Coirnav? i saw Ashkari, Coro, and a few others. I know mabbu is around as well trying to lay low while running a guild.

Nope, as I told Damdor and Pleasant, I can barely enjoy Phinigel in DoDH where raids are actually fun, doing classic through PoP again would be like nailing my dick to the wall. I really wish they'd try an experiment where they allow isboxer and mq2 on a progression server that has AoCs (so not Ragefire/Lockjaw) and see what has the most draw, raid content w/o bullshit fights over content or forcing people that want to box to load up an array of computers. Or just say gently caress it and disable truebox on Phinigel now that Coirnav exists...

Mabbu, Pleasant, and a couple of others speed leveled, but Pleasant will stop once they hit 50. He has no desire to do anything beyond the initial leveling burst for some reason. As far as I know, Pleasant is going to be around tonight to do our weekly offhours stuff like MPG trials and Vule.

Skie, Ard, Coro, Goje, Kiix, Mirishka, Daldaen, Milkotie, and Poisoness should all be around there as well, some of them because they can't make our raid times anymore and want to raid at super relaxed pace and on pacific time. I don't think Dald or Milk are going to play there full time though, Dald seems to really like DoDH.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah posted:

Nope, as I told Damdor and Pleasant, I can barely enjoy Phinigel in DoDH where raids are actually fun, doing classic through PoP again would be like nailing my dick to the wall. I really wish they'd try an experiment where they allow isboxer and mq2 on a progression server that has AoCs (so not Ragefire/Lockjaw) and see what has the most draw, raid content w/o bullshit fights over content or forcing people that want to box to load up an array of computers. Or just say gently caress it and disable truebox on Phinigel now that Coirnav exists...

Mabbu, Pleasant, and a couple of others speed leveled, but Pleasant will stop once they hit 50. He has no desire to do anything beyond the initial leveling burst for some reason. As far as I know, Pleasant is going to be around tonight to do our weekly offhours stuff like MPG trials and Vule.

Skie, Ard, Coro, Goje, Kiix, Mirishka, Daldaen, Milkotie, and Poisoness should all be around there as well, some of them because they can't make our raid times anymore and want to raid at super relaxed pace and on pacific time. I don't think Dald or Milk are going to play there full time though, Dald seems to really like DoDH.

Yeah i ran into Coro, Ashkari and Skie so far. I'm on PST now too, and my commute makes it so i cant raid in an EST environment anymore because San Diego traffic is god awful and getting home before 6pm is hard.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
i, a very powerful level 2 cleric, killed a decaying skeleton that had knocked someone into purple and then healed them back to life, and they didn't even thank me

i am mad beyond any sense of proportion

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Tai posted:

Doesn't it take quite a few expansions until that holds true? "High damage" is not what I think about when I think SK, neither in old times, on prog servers nor on Live to be honest.

I know things have changed, but I recall SK's being though of as dogshit back in classic times: low DPS and no one wanted them as tanks. It wasn't until Luclin that they started getting a little more popular due to their group recourse spells. That being said, people had ignorant opinions on the different class' worth back then, to the point that the only tank that "worked" was a Warrior - even though pallies and SK's could certainly do the job. How does it look on prog servers during Velious for example - is it still all Warrior tanking, or can you send an SK or Paladin at a giant or dragon boss? Just wondering.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Pilsner posted:

Doesn't it take quite a few expansions until that holds true? "High damage" is not what I think about when I think SK, neither in old times, on prog servers nor on Live to be honest.

I know things have changed, but I recall SK's being though of as dogshit back in classic times: low DPS and no one wanted them as tanks. It wasn't until Luclin that they started getting a little more popular due to their group recourse spells. That being said, people had ignorant opinions on the different class' worth back then, to the point that the only tank that "worked" was a Warrior - even though pallies and SK's could certainly do the job. How does it look on prog servers during Velious for example - is it still all Warrior tanking, or can you send an SK or Paladin at a giant or dragon boss? Just wondering.

In decked out Velious geared, my paladin can now tank naggy/vox. Knights are garbo.

Edit: I should say I enjoy my Pally. Especially in group content or raid content where I can use aoe heals. Im not raid tanking much though.

I've tanked AoW for like 20 seconds, Statue, a few VP dragons, everything except the unslowable dragon in sleepers. Its not ideal though.

FranktheBank fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I am experiencing extremely long zone loading times, loading from character select time, etc., like >5 minutes. Usually it kicks up "a timeout has occurred" and I find myself at server select, where I have to boot the active character form the world, and am then able to log in. Anyone else experiencing this?