Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kennel posted:

Bonus: Stores aren't allowed to give quantity discount for alcohol so you don't even save any money by buying that much.

Is that a law in Finland? That makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

Is that a law in Finland? That makes no sense.

You should see the liquor laws in Canada

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nerdz posted:

launch? isn't this game irreparably hosed and nowhere near ready?

Yes. It is also officially launching.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzt7JvsYIuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgOEg2Drs3w

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Solice Kirsk posted:

How the gently caress does that work? Might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So one beer costs as much as if you buy 30?
You can't sell six pack that's cheaper than 6 separate beers.

Perhaps I used a wrong term?

IMO it's a good law since when I grab few beers I don't need to feel like I'm doing a bad deal compared to a 24-pack.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Mar 15, 2018

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

xtal posted:

You should see the liquor laws in Canada

Its usually around $25+ :canada: for a 12 pack of beer. And there is discussion about taxing beer even more. :negative:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

How the gently caress does that work? Might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So one beer costs as much as if you buy 30?

30 beers cost as much as buying 30 beers. If one beer costs $1, thirty beers cost $30.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

It makes sense since in an ideal world, you don't want people to be coaxed into buying copious amounts of alcohol because it's more economical. Of course, in civilized countries, capitalism doesn't care if you're buying enough to kill yourself so long as they're pushing more product.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hjalmar posted:

It makes sense since in an ideal world, you don't want people to be coaxed into buying copious amounts of alcohol because it's more economical. Of course, in civilized countries, capitalism doesn't care if you're buying enough to kill yourself so long as they're pushing more product.

That doesn't make sense. An alcoholic is going to buy too much alcohol no matter what, because they are chemically dependent on it. And a non-alcoholic isn't going to drink themselves to death because they bought a lot of beer in order to save a little per can, only to get home and realize that they had to drink all 24 beers in one night because they'll have gone off by the morning.

You
Oct 6, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Both Finland, Norway, Iceland and Sweden have a state owned monopoly on alcoholic beverages over a certain percent (Ranging from above 3,5% in Sweden and above 5,5% in Finland, lower percentages are allowed in regular stores). These monopolies were introduced in a more puritan mindset during the early to mid 1900s and part of their task was to regulate the consumption of alcohol and, if we're being cynical, bring in a steady flow of taxes. Most nordic countries have some of the worlds highest taxes on alcohol. I remember taking a Dutch colleague out to pizza and beer and told him that the beer will cost as much as the food. He just laughed at me until he had the menu in hand. A regular beer in a restaurant/bar in Sweden costs ~10 dollars and 2-3 dollars a can at the store.

As far as I know, the companies Alko and Systembolaget (Finland and Sweden respectively) both have a ban on cost reductions on alcoholic beverages. There is no sales or option to buy at bulk prices, a can of beer will always cost the same not matter how many you buy, to discourage abundant drinking. And to be fair, the history of widespread alcoholism in the nordic countries during the ages makes it quite reasonable that it became regulated. However there is a rather small political movement on the right wing thats trying to abolish the monopoly, but for now the monopolies are here to stay.

I realize that putting regulations on something that's harmful is quite foreign to an American, but that is how we roll. :finland: :norway: :iceland: :sweden:

Also, screw you Denmark.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

nerdz posted:

launch? isn't this game irreparably hosed and nowhere near ready?
Doesn't mean it can't launch!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

PaulBearer posted:

Huh? The Hyperloop is supposed to reach 760 mph. Other (probably less realistic) designs have a top speed of around Mach 5.

Unrelated, the Finnish 1080-pack:

Lol these poor people pay 2€ for 0,5L of light pils. I feel your pain, Finland. That's more than what we pay for a Westvleteren

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You posted:

Both Finland, Norway, Iceland and Sweden have a state owned monopoly on alcoholic beverages over a certain percent (Ranging from above 3,5% in Sweden and above 5,5% in Finland, lower percentages are allowed in regular stores). These monopolies were introduced in a more puritan mindset during the early to mid 1900s and part of their task was to regulate the consumption of alcohol and, if we're being cynical, bring in a steady flow of taxes. Most nordic countries have some of the worlds highest taxes on alcohol. I remember taking a Dutch colleague out to pizza and beer and told him that the beer will cost as much as the food. He just laughed at me until he had the menu in hand. A regular beer in a restaurant/bar in Sweden costs ~10 dollars and 2-3 dollars a can at the store.

As far as I know, the companies Alko and Systembolaget (Finland and Sweden respectively) both have a ban on cost reductions on alcoholic beverages. There is no sales or option to buy at bulk prices, a can of beer will always cost the same not matter how many you buy, to discourage abundant drinking. And to be fair, the history of widespread alcoholism in the nordic countries during the ages makes it quite reasonable that it became regulated. However there is a rather small political movement on the right wing thats trying to abolish the monopoly, but for now the monopolies are here to stay.

I realize that putting regulations on something that's harmful is quite foreign to an American, but that is how we roll. :finland: :norway: :iceland: :sweden:

Also, screw you Denmark.

Don't you all just get around it by moonshining?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You posted:

Also, screw you Denmark.

Hey buddy! We have regulations on all sorts of things that are bad for you! Medical care. Sick leave. Worker's rights. Don't come at me saying we don't regulate dangerous things! Could you imagine how horrible a country of healthy happy workers would be? Gross.

You
Oct 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Don't you all just get around it by moonshining?

We did, but that has been a dying culture for some time. Mostly due to truckers from other european countries smuggling cheap liqour and selling to minors. That and since the Öresunds bridge was built between Sweden and Denmark in 2000, most people take a few days to travel to Germany and visit a bordershop to buy as much alcohol as they can fit and go back.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey buddy! We have regulations on all sorts of things that are bad for you! Medical care. Sick leave. Worker's rights. Don't come at me saying we don't regulate dangerous things! Could you imagine how horrible a country of healthy happy workers would be? Gross.

Not to mention the sick habit of paying enough as a minimum wage to enable people to sustain themselves anywhere, even in the metropolitan areas, on one salary from one 40h/week job.

EDIT: with mandated 4-6 weeks of paid vacation yearly depending on how long you have been working in that job.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Not to mention the sick habit of paying enough as a minimum wage to enable people to sustain themselves anywhere, even in the metropolitan areas, on one salary from one 40h/week job.

EDIT: with mandated 4-6 weeks of paid vacation yearly depending on how long you have been working in that job.

This disgusts me to my very core. Next you'll be telling me that everyone should get the right to public aid. I don't know how you guys can live like that.

*goes into massive debt because of a broken leg which causes me to lose my job because I'm in an "At Will" employment state

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
You know what we don’t regulate at all? Bootstraps.

You
Oct 6, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

This disgusts me to my very core. Next you'll be telling me that everyone should get the right to public aid. I don't know how you guys can live like that.

*goes into massive debt because of a broken leg which causes me to lose my job because I'm in an "At Will" employment state

We're working on that. There are talks about not not including immigrants in the right to education and healthcare or the unemployment program and also create a new kind of job that doesn't need to match a living wage. Targeted at immigrants.

This may or may not correspond to the fact that we have a party in parliament that just a few years ago had the slogan "Keep Sweden Swedish".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
American health care genuinely astounds me. I can never grasp why that's considered acceptable.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

poptart_fairy posted:

American health care

Thanks for the lol friend.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

poptart_fairy posted:

American health care genuinely astounds me. I can never grasp why that's considered acceptable.

Neither can anyone else not in the pockets of the healthcare/insurance people.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's an issue that's been politicized and aligned with right-leaving Americans like climate change denial. At this point people think it's acceptable if they lean right because they've been told it's what right-leaning people believe.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's an issue that's been politicized and aligned with right-leaving Americans like climate change denial. At this point people think it's acceptable if they lean right because they've been told it's what right-leaning people believe.

And if you even dare to complain it's probably because you are a c͏̳̥o̮̰̮m̮̖̱̩̞̗̹̀m̯̲i̹͖̺e̱̳͚̥͕̘͇ ̡̳l̫̖͙̳͇̪i̙͠b̬͍͚ṯ̝̩͎͞a̭̤̻̺̟r̳̦̦̜̭d̺̣͕̦̳͔̦

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
And most of the Democrats are equally in the pocket of big Pharma and the insurance industry

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
There's also this idea that healthcare, education, wages, and human rights are a zero sum game. So when a progressive says "hey we should give healthcare to everybody" the folks on the right say "no that means giving it to brown people which means I'll get less", conveniently forgetting in their blind hate that the word "everybody" includes them too.

I'm really struggling to find a funny picture that relates to this but I cant.

You
Oct 6, 2009
Sounds to me that y'all just need to be ruled by the iron fist of a monarch.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Brewmaster posted:

There's also this idea that healthcare, education, wages, and human rights are a zero sum game. So when a progressive says "hey we should give healthcare to everybody" the folks on the right say "no that means giving it to brown people which means I'll get less", conveniently forgetting in their blind hate that the word "everybody" includes them too.

"Why should MY tax dollars go to pay for someone else's medical bills?"

Does anyone have those tweets from some conservative idiot who bitched about the idea of universal healthcare, then got in a car accident and started begging people for donations?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Scratch Monkey posted:

You know what we don’t regulate at all? Bootstraps.

Yes, you do. You class them as machine guns

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jamesman posted:

Does anyone have those tweets from some conservative idiot who bitched about the idea of universal healthcare, then got in a car accident and started begging people for donations?

Even better, I think that car accident was a fake.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I dated a well-to-do woman while I was in college, and spent a winter vacation with her family. While there, her rich lawyer step-father mentioned that he had known Richard Garriot growing up, and he was a friends' greasy weirdo little brother who got picked on and beaten up a lot.

That's my story thats all I got.

You
Oct 6, 2009

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats one of his daily outfits.
Theres a video where he talks about Ultima Online's ecosystem mechanics, which was supposed to simulate animals eating plants and predators eating those with marked changes in animal population if there was a shortage of any, and were absolutely destroyed at launch week by the players washing over it like the black plague, killing every animal in sight.
So as part of a solution for this, and in response to an increasing playerbase, was to invent the idea of multiple game instances on seperate servers, which every MMO now does.

Then they quietly canned it and spawned them regularly when they found out no one actually noticed.

Anyways they show his house and he has a bigass taxdermy coyote head smoking pipe.

UO never had any anything approaching that kind of sophistication. They were just really bad at figuring out spawn rates because they were blazing the MMO trail.

Also: corp por

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Even better, I think that car accident was a fake.

yep was a scam to get donations and not the first time that person had done it either

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
My UO experience is logging onto a server in Catskills and being confused and not knowing what to click as a dude in magic everything plate sword you name it saunters up to me, introduces himself as "Gothmog", strips naked and gives me all his cool poo poo and then the game explodes and crashes to desktop. Logging back on, all the cool poo poo is gone.

Thanks for listening to my UO story.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Jamesman posted:

There's also this guy that was going blind.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

lmao

quote:

It all started when the Charlotte Observer reported that Lang, 49, a self-employed Republican handyman who has never bought insurance, developed “bleeding in his eyes and a partly detached retina caused by diabetes.”

quote:

“Now that I’m looking at what each party represents, my wife and I are both saying — hey, we’re not Republicans!” Lang said….

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jamesman posted:

That would be the "Sassy Gay Republican": https://www.advocate.com/politics/2017/9/22/gay-republican-obamacare-critic-turns-crowdfunding-after-accident

His Twitter account's been suspended, though. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Besesoth posted:

That would be the "Sassy Gay Republican": https://www.advocate.com/politics/2017/9/22/gay-republican-obamacare-critic-turns-crowdfunding-after-accident

His Twitter account's been suspended, though. Oh well.

He was a fraud and a scam artist it turns out.