Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

OWLS! posted:

What's wrong with my crab?

🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The saddest of large crustaceans.
No pinchy game.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Do you just add it as an extra line of code on the avatar upgrade payment screen or what, the gang tag destination URL seems to be different to the avatar one

Help me I'm dumb

I, too, was dumb. Let me show you the way!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OWLS! posted:

It has clawtism.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Who What Now posted:

It has clawtism.

:golfclap: *snip*snip*snip*snip*snip*

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ContraBoss posted:

I, too, was dumb. Let me show you the way!

Yep!! This only works for images hosted on SA though so don't think you can link to any ol' thing on Imgur and be cool.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bell_ posted:

I paid, but some were gifted. A mod put it up on the site, at the very least.

Also, the leopard crabs are too cute. I came into this thread thinking of a crab as one of my favorite things to eat or drink, but I've really fallen for the diverse collection of crabs shared in this thread, especially the gimmicky ones and every hermit crab.

i'm also a big fan of crab juice, way better than mtn dew

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

Yep!! This only works for images hosted on SA though so don't think you can link to any ol' thing on Imgur and be cool.

You mean images like....\/ this one?\/

Beet Wagon posted:

Congrats, ContraBoss. Wear it with pride, Crab Crew.

That one is hosted on SA, so we're in business!!!

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 16, 2018

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i'm also a big fan of crab juice, way better than mtn dew
I dunno if I'd try it THAT way, but my first post to the thread was sharing my experience with a little shop in Bogota which threw booze, some miscellaneous ingredients, and a live soft shelled crab into a blender. The results were honestly delicious, but it'll be hard to do it again without thinking of the buddies to whom I've been acquainted, thanks to the folks in here.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
https://twitter.com/nussoft/status/971739295491940352

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LingcodKilla posted:

The saddest of large crustaceans.
No pinchy game.

No Pinchy, No Crab is my favorite Bob Marley song

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

No Pinchy, No Crab is my favorite Claw Marley song

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bob Metacarcinus and the Whale Lice

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Bell_ posted:

I dunno if I'd try it THAT way, but my first post to the thread was sharing my experience with a little shop in Bogota which threw booze, some miscellaneous ingredients, and a live soft shelled crab into a blender. The results were honestly delicious, but it'll be hard to do it again without thinking of the buddies to whom I've been acquainted, thanks to the folks in here.

I believe he was referring to this little bit! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NFv5IGP2uA

Glad this thread made you wanna be apart of crab crew!

I think this is more than relevant at this point \/\/\/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWPyaqbebo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

That dev also did the excellent (and janky) Ace of Seafood and Neo Aquarium.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

OWLS! posted:

Spiny lobsters own. They’re delicious and you can just swim down and pick them up off the bottom.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I am so happy to be a part of 'crab crew'.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

follow-up to super wolfenstein HD looking good

krabbenstein

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I am one of you

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Clamps McGraw posted:

I am one of you

Yes...

...The process is nearly complete...

Lockwell
Mar 31, 2010

Danke schon, na na, Danke schon.

The flat clawed hermit crab is truly horrific to look at but I still like them.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Had no idea true freshwater crabs existed, let alone the hermit variety.

Lockwell
Mar 31, 2010

Danke schon, na na, Danke schon.
Sadly there is only one species (that we know) of hermit crab that is fresh water and it's not really one you can get a hold of. Clibanarius fonticola, there is not a whole lot of information on them. The picture I posted before is the closest thing to one I could ever find and for all I know it could be just of the genus.

The flat clawed hermit crab is just a regular old hideous hermit crab however. I just find it neat how they get progressively more ugly the further north they are from.

But there are lots of super neat true freshwater crabs that we never really think of since they aren't as colourful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yphUiRLZaI

Like the freshwater version of the ever cool pom pom crab!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There's a freshwater crab that lives in rice paddies of southeast Asia and one time my girlfriend was watching a Vietnamese cooking video on YouTube and this lady just ripped their carapaces off with her bare hands hands while they were still alive. It was loving crazy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That’s how you clean crabs as big as Dungys.

Step on the legs and claw with the edge of each foot. Jam your thumb up his backside and then rip up. Hose off guts. Watch out because the claws can still pinch for a minute or two.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:stonk:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Lockwell posted:

Sadly there is only one species (that we know) of hermit crab that is fresh water and it's not really one you can get a hold of. Clibanarius fonticola, there is not a whole lot of information on them. The picture I posted before is the closest thing to one I could ever find and for all I know it could be just of the genus.

The flat clawed hermit crab is just a regular old hideous hermit crab however. I just find it neat how they get progressively more ugly the further north they are from.

But there are lots of super neat true freshwater crabs that we never really think of since they aren't as colourful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yphUiRLZaI

Like the freshwater version of the ever cool pom pom crab!

Yay! I think these guys would be way more suitable for aquariums than the red-claw crabs since most people aren’t aware they require brackish water to survive.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Step on the legs and claw with the edge of each foot. Jam your thumb up his backside and then rip up. Hose off guts. Watch out because the claws can still pinch for a minute or two.

Hey friend, I realize you’re in the fishery and/or crabbing business and all and there’s nothing wrong with that. Believe you me, I love a drat tasty crab or ten.

But could we maybe focus less on the unavoidable slaughter of our favorite critters in this thread? I am NOT one to suggest to any posters what to post. But here’s the thing:

It would be like me going into a thread about raising chickens for people that love chickens as pets and maybe as a less-cruel alternative for a source of eggs. Then, I start posting about how much I love chickens too, and then proceeding to describe all the chickens I’ve slaughtered for food at length, and discussing how I enjoy the slaughter or culling methods, rather than the joy of chickens just being chickens.

Maybe you’re not aware of how you’re coming off, but that’s sort of the vibe I’m getting. If that’s not what you intended then that’s great! You’re more more than welcome here. If not, then I think that would be missing the point of this thread, and I honestly don’t want it going in that direction. :shobon:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lol it’s a crab. They, just like chickens, would as soon eat you if they could.

Anyways the point was that it’s not just foreigners who slaughter their food that way. It’s a common practice in the US too.

Personally I’d never drink a crab thrown in a blender which I noticed you didn’t complain about reading.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ContraBoss posted:

Had no idea true freshwater crabs existed, let alone the hermit variety.

Wait, hold up, you made a thread about one of the hardest animals in existence and you thought they were too pussy to survive in a place that didn't have a deadly amount of salt?

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Wait, hold up, you made a thread about one of the hardest animals in existence and you thought they were too pussy to survive in a place that didn't have a deadly amount of salt?

Maybe I should've rephrased that. I wasn't aware of any freshwater species until now.

The crabs had me fooled.

I have been, once again, owned by crabs.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

I see your crab and raise you two pinchlets:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
:3:

Is Crazy Crab really a crab?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf_dqyI808o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgs5P7z_lBw

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

my dog died im sad posted:

:3:

Is Crazy Crab really a crab?

* gravelly umpire voice*
"...........I'LL ALLOW IT!"

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Doctor Bishop posted:

follow-up to super wolfenstein HD looking good

krabbenstein

If this is a tombstone, gently caress yeah!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

ContraBoss posted:

* gravelly umpire voice*
"...........I'LL ALLOW IT!"

Awesome!!
Crazy Crab actually has a kind of interesting story for a mascot.

quote:

The Crazy Crab was a mascot of the San Francisco Giants for the 1984 season. As opposed to other mascots, Crazy Crab was meant as an "anti-mascot", satirizing on the mascot craze that was going on at the time. Fans were encouraged to boo the mascot (played by actor Wayne Doba) and manager Frank Robinson appeared in a commercial with the crustacean where Robinson was restrained from attacking him. This encouragement may have worked too well, as Giants fans regularly threw various dangerous objects at Crazy Crab, including beer bottles and batteries, and Crazy Crab's suit had to be reinforced with a fiberglass shell for protection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4lA5Nq3Orw&t=2s

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

LingcodKilla posted:

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

my dog died im sad posted:

Awesome!!
Crazy Crab actually has a kind of interesting story for a mascot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4lA5Nq3Orw&t=2s