Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

Help me figure out how to finance a Spirit R and store it at your house for a decade....

It would be in good company, I'd be known as the guy with two Spirit R's. I am trying to figure out how to finance one myself right now.

I also just had to pass on a $1000 S6 RX-7 roller and a $1750 S7 RX-7 roller due to storage space constraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

It would be in good company, I'd be known as the guy with two Spirit R's. I am trying to figure out how to finance one myself right now.

I also just had to pass on a $1000 S6 RX-7 roller and a $1750 S7 RX-7 roller due to storage space constraints.

How high is your ceiling.... Because lifts are cheap :D

I would pick those up in a heartbeat. I just got asked about a S6 roller for a 20B build.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

You can get an R32 GTR in ok condition for 11 grand or so at auction but the demand is sky (heh) high. That's what happens when you suddenly have the entire United States of America as potential customers to buy your car and everyone wants one. Just go look to see what people in the US are looking to get for their po-dunk GTS Skylines.
Depending on what your definition of 'fun' is though you can score some hilarious deals. My Rugger cost $2236 at auction, I paid $1960 for the Crown. We paid $6523 for the Hilux Surf but that's understandable, the only thing that competes with inflated prices like Skylines is the Hilux and Land Cruisers, especially when they are so choice. And the AZ-1.
You can pick up kei trucks for $150 bucks or so, vans for a bit more at around 450~ on the high end.

I would absolutely insist you import yourself though. It is by far the cheapest and you have the most control. If you don't want to bother with it that's fine but you are going to probably be paying a significant markup for the convenience of something already imported and titled. That's what I do but I'd expect most AI regulars would import themselves.

Yeah I would probably opt to import myself, mostly because at least the ones from Japan aren't going to be rust heaps like they are in Canada. It'd also be fun to grab something like an old ute from Oz or a JDM from the UK but I suspect those are going to be significantly more expensive + the importation process to be more difficult for ~*reasons*~

I'll have to do more digging when I'm closer to the possibility so I don't do a bunch of research, sit on it for a year, then have to redo it

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah I would probably opt to import myself, mostly because at least the ones from Japan aren't going to be rust heaps like they are in Canada. It'd also be fun to grab something like an old ute from Oz or a JDM from the UK but I suspect those are going to be significantly more expensive + the importation process to be more difficult for ~*reasons*~

I'll have to do more digging when I'm closer to the possibility so I don't do a bunch of research, sit on it for a year, then have to redo it

You know Japan is surrounded by saltwater, right?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Larrymer posted:

ok they won't be as bad or something

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Larrymer posted:

And they salt their roads, but looking at Jeeps, they have significantly less rust than their USDM counterparts

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

And they salt their roads, but looking at Jeeps, they have significantly less rust than their USDM counterparts

True. However I will never skip an opportunity to make TT look like a dummy.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Another thing about JDM cars, and I'm not sure if KakerMixs thread ever touched on (apologies, if so), is that Japan is a densly populated country. Every car has door dings and the front and rear bumpers are all scratched and dented. So much so that half of all the JDM FD's that I've seen in Canada have been resprayed at least once in their life prior to leaving Japan.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Larrymer posted:

You'd have to go out of your way to import something from Japan that's all rusty and be caught unaware when you go pick it up at port. The auction/export system, on top of their shaken requirements means that if there is rust on a car, you will know about it before you bid/buy it. Suppose you could somehow buy something like that at a dealer within Japan but since a dealer would service Japan itself then the shaken makes it so that's much less likely. I'm sure it's possible to import a mars-like chassis but not nearly as easy as here in the states.

FOR INSTANCE I was going to bid on this Rugger

Mileage is listed as 92000 km. When we sent an inspector out to look at it he saw that it had a timing belt sticker indicating the belt had been changed, this is good. The sticker was from 2006 and said "100454 km", this is bad. Looks like the 5 digit odometer had rolled over once. That discrepancy ended up pulling the Rugger from auction. It might show up later with the addendum "mileage not verified" on it's sheet, or might not.

The Door Frame posted:

From everything I've seen they don't actually salt their roads everywhere, or even in most places. I've read that some prefectures use de-icing compounds. I've got a few friends in the Tokyo area and they don't usually see accumulating snow. I do know that a whole bunch of cars I'm looking at right now will come with stud-less tires (aka winter tires) with the summer ones in the back. I don't live there though so who knows. I just know that it is difficult to buy something rusty and not know about it.

McTinkerson posted:

Another thing about JDM cars, and I'm not sure if KakerMixs thread ever touched on (apologies, if so), is that Japan is a densly populated country. Every car has door dings and the front and rear bumpers are all scratched and dented. So much so that half of all the JDM FD's that I've seen in Canada have been resprayed at least once in their life prior to leaving Japan.

I haven't seen this specifically (but I'm mostly into 4x4s and trucks and things that would probably be mostly outside of urban areas) but I have noticed every goddamn seat in every car is worn on the right bolster, like every Japanese person just lovingly drags their rear end across it 50 times a day. Just lift your bum and drop it in the seat :negative:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

From everything I've seen they don't actually salt their roads everywhere, or even in most places. I've read that some prefectures use de-icing compounds.

Most people don't realise that Japan is very much on it when it comes to keeping roads clear and intact. Perfect example here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/15/japan-fixes-vast-fukuoka-city-sinkhole-repaired-two-days

If that happened in the UK it'd take about 3 weeks before they even started doing poo poo, but completely filled in within 48 hours? That's next level infrastructure.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 15, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Most people don't realise that Japan is very much on it when it comes to keeping roads clear and intact. Perfect example here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/15/japan-fixes-vast-fukuoka-city-sinkhole-repaired-two-days

If that happened in the UK it'd take about 3 weeks before they even started doing poo poo, but completely filled in within 48 hours? That's next level infrastructure.

In the US, it'd take months, and go over budget 6 times. There would also be a court case to determine who pays for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rust is not an issue in Japan, and for that reason I would import from there rather than Canada all day long.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

I am done there yes.

Good luck on your job hunt!

In other AI news, a coworker may have found my kryptonite. He's got a running and driving decent condition Maverick he wants to sell for 2k or so.

I may not be able to resist.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do not resist! Do the opposite of that! Unresist!

Edit: I missed a call about a job I applied for last night.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Rhyno posted:

Do not resist! Do the opposite of that! Unresist!

Edit: I missed a call about a job I applied for last night.
Missing the initial call is not a big deal.

But wow, that's a quick turnaround.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ilkhan posted:

Missing the initial call is not a big deal.

But wow, that's a quick turnaround.

Unemployment in Indiana is like .01% or something right now. Fort Wayne alone has something close to 2000 new jobs right this goddamned minute. My sister is a manager fo Lassus (gas station chain) and they need like 40 people tomorrow. BAE Systems needs 100+ people, FW Metals needs 300. GM is doing a hiring session in June I think. Costco needs tons of people all of a sudden. We have a rail depot on the edge of town and there's like 75 conductor postings. Local mega liquor store chain built two new stores and can't seem to staff them (that's what I applied for last night). The Police Academy raised the age limit to 40 so I could be a cop if I wanted. Some people suggested since I was technically fired I should file for unemployment but it's harder to get that than it is to get a job right now.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ugh. I'm so indecisive and conflicted. Got this --><-- close to selling my Baja as I've been neglecting it the last two years but changed my mind before the buyer sent a deposit.

Was selling it below what the used cost of the aftermarket parts is and just felt like I needed to move on but last second got convinced by a good friend to keep it, fix the few things that are bugging me on it, and see if I fall in love with it again after the little niggling things are fixed. I think with a few changes I can learn to love it again :unsmith:

Now to fight off doubt that I made the wrong move and try to get excited about it again.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Weird rear end electric plan kicked rear end this month.

1005 kWh = $43.02. I had to have the space heater vs portable ac vs central ac battle for a couple of days to break 1000; this bill would have been about $70 higher if I hadn't broken 1k.

Where I'm moving has time of day based usage. I'm a nightowl, and the cheapest rates are overnight, but the washer and dryer are in the bathroom (bathroom is attached to the bedroom), so I'd probably have to wash before she went to bed, then start the dryer later (she wakes up at 4am, has to be at work by 5). There's no minimums or credits, it's just straight up "it's this much during X time, this much during Y time, this much during Z time, and a $20 base charge". They have a flat rate plan too, but it's the peak rate 24/7 instead of changing based on time. At least the new place is early 2000s vs early 80s, and a middle floor, so HVAC usage shouldn't be bad.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo you guys need to read the INCEL thread in GBS

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849302&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I've been waiting for a good moment to read that through.
The last incel thread was amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a video on like page 3 and i could barely watch it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I have been following it for a bit. Hooooooly poo poo just.......

Im glad I am not that stupid

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You start reading thinking it'll be funny or pathetic then quickly realise the internet was a mistake and some people deserve no better fate than to be ground up for fertiliser. Live.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Headlights really didn’t want to come on tonight, pretty sure the parking lights were on though. After flicking the switch a few times the lights came on. Couldn’t replicate the issue once they came on. Should I be chasing a bad relay?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slothrop posted:

Headlights really didn’t want to come on tonight, pretty sure the parking lights were on though. After flicking the switch a few times the lights came on. Couldn’t replicate the issue once they came on. Should I be chasing a bad relay?

Yes, sounds the most likely culprit

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

You start reading thinking it'll be funny or pathetic then quickly realise the internet was a mistake and some people deserve no better fate than to be ground up for fertiliser. Live.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
But then I'd be reading something in GBS.... I'm not sure I can handle that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

But then I'd be reading something in GBS.... I'm not sure I can handle that.

It's mostly quoting from another sad, sad site. I generally stay away as well but this is so hosed up it's hard to look away.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Weird rear end electric plan kicked rear end this month.

1005 kWh = $43.02. I had to have the space heater vs portable ac vs central ac battle for a couple of days to break 1000; this bill would have been about $70 higher if I hadn't broken 1k.

Where I'm moving has time of day based usage. I'm a nightowl, and the cheapest rates are overnight, but the washer and dryer are in the bathroom (bathroom is attached to the bedroom), so I'd probably have to wash before she went to bed, then start the dryer later (she wakes up at 4am, has to be at work by 5). There's no minimums or credits, it's just straight up "it's this much during X time, this much during Y time, this much during Z time, and a $20 base charge". They have a flat rate plan too, but it's the peak rate 24/7 instead of changing based on time. At least the new place is early 2000s vs early 80s, and a middle floor, so HVAC usage shouldn't be bad.

I'd have stuck the heater and the portable AC out on the balcony.

No. That just hurts my brain. I was a teenage awkward nerd once, too, but holy poo poo these guys take it to a whole new level and just keep going. It took a while, but even I figured out how to talk to girls (first hint: treat them like actual people, and don't expect to have sex with all of them.) Jesus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
KEEP READING

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

These first two pages have made me physically ill. Self deprecating is one thing...but this is something I just can't wrap my thoughts around :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Keep going, I was able to make it to page 7 before I had enough.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

These first two pages have made me physically ill. Self deprecating is one thing...but this is something I just can't wrap my thoughts around :psyduck:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mental illness is a hell of a problem

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Mental illness is a hell of a problem

There is a guy in that thread arguing that these dudes are not mentally ill. Like seriously.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

There is a guy in that thread arguing that these dudes are not mentally ill. Like seriously.

You're aware what website you're on, right?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Some of them probably aren't all that sick, but because they chose to surround themselves with antisocial misogynists with severe persecution complexes, they voluntarily ruined their lives as much as the genuinely insane people

Incel stuff is too hard to read sometimes, even some Lou Reads episodes give me the heeby jeebies because of how monstrous these people are

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

Some of them probably aren't all that sick, but because they chose to surround themselves with antisocial misogynists with severe persecution complexes, they voluntarily ruined their lives as much as the genuinely insane people

You're aware what website you're on, right?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The r/Relationships thread is a good companion read as well, so you can see that even people who manged to get laid are just as broken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

KEEP READING

Nuh uh. That kind of poo poo makes me extremely uncomfortable. I don't know how to handle broken people. I just nope the gently caress out.

• Locked thread