Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ferrinus posted:

It is impossible to redress that balance of power without destroying the Exarchs and precipitating mass Awakening. In the meantime those with more power owe their service to those with less.

That's not what it says in the very quote you picked because you thought it was most damning. The Awakened have the job of working miracles, not managing society.

Have you never read the book? I'm sorry for leaving this part out then:

Same page posted:

Blood: The Sleepers Follow
Once all souls are free, the Exarchs will surrender or be annihilated,
their conceptual identity relegated to mere theory. The
perfect Awakened city will arise, not some time-lost ruin that
Fell but a true utopia the Ladder will build. Humanity will rise
as one, and then the Ladder’s true work will begin. Until that
point, the Ladder leads, commanding Sleepers for their own
good and against their own unwise impulses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

nofather posted:

While I would obviously find them objectionable, I think it's at least easier to understand the Pure, if only because I've been on the wrong side of more than a few arguments, and even in the right side, and seen how zealous it can make a person. I think second edition has moved to push the Predator Kings more into the mask of boogeyman. Since their sacred prey is those who dishonor the hunt, it's easy to imagine Forsaken warning others as they teach their Sacred Hunt rite not to abuse it, or make light of it, or the Predator Kings will get you.

But the Bale Hounds are, like, servants and heralds of what appears to be actual factual evil.

I forget, were the Bale Hounds trafficking with turbo-bad spirits or was it something from the Lower Depths and/or Abyss? I seem to remember that the Maeljin were implied to be from somewhere.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't know if I'm remembering correctly but I think Bale Hounds in 2E were woofs under the sway of an Idigam? Maybe I'm just thinking of that one story seed in which an Idigam passes itself off as Father Wolf and the woofs who follow him go nutbar

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

I forget, were the Bale Hounds trafficking with turbo-bad spirits or was it something from the Lower Depths and/or Abyss? I seem to remember that the Maeljin were implied to be from somewhere.

They were called demons and Old Gods in their original fleshing out. So they might be the Father Wolf equivalent of 'bad' rather than hunt. Inferno says for the purposes of that book to consider them Rank 8 demons.

So Lower Depth or whatever Pangaeans are.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't know if I'm remembering correctly but I think Bale Hounds in 2E were woofs under the sway of an Idigam? Maybe I'm just thinking of that one story seed in which an Idigam passes itself off as Father Wolf and the woofs who follow him go nutbar

You're probably thinking of the story hook for the decay idigam where it says that Forsaken might mistake the disturbances it causes as the actions of Pure or Bale Hounds. Bale Hounds haven't really come up in any concrete fashion in second, there's mention of one being killed in the Ohio Hunting Ground. I believe the developer said he didn't want to put them in places until he got a chance to give them a proper write-up.

nofather fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 14, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Still reading Scion: Hero. Can't wait to read up on the pantheons not listed in Hero. Especially the Buddhist one. Also, was the White Eyebrow in the initial Shen preview?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mulva posted:

Have you never read the book? I'm sorry for leaving this part out then:

Whoops, sorry. I'd replaced "Silver Ladder" in your post with "mages" in my head, teach me to rush a post out when I need to step away.

Obviously the Ladder's going to lead the charge for mass ascension. You need a vanguard.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

nofather posted:

They were called demons and Old Gods in their original fleshing out. So they might be the Father Wolf equivalent of 'bad' rather than hunt. Inferno says for the purposes of that book to consider them Rank 8 demons.

So Lower Depth or whatever Pangaeans are.

You're probably thinking of the story hook for the decay idigam where it says that Forsaken might mistake the disturbances it causes as the actions of Pure or Bale Hounds. Bale Hounds haven't really come up in any concrete fashion in second, there's mention of one being killed in the Ohio Hunting Ground. I believe the developer said he didn't want to put them in places until he got a chance to give them a proper write-up.

One of my players went hardcore into a personal war with a particular mafia like off shoot of the Ivory Claws. Since they're supposedly all about purity, I'm tying them into the biotech renaissance happening in our game city as they both refine their own genetics to allow for more uratha to be born and attempt to clone Father Wolf.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

Whoops, sorry. I'd replaced "Silver Ladder" in your post with "mages" in my head, teach me to rush a post out when I need to step away.

Obviously the Ladder's going to lead the charge for mass ascension. You need a vanguard.
You don't need a vanguard if you don't go anywhere!

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

One of my players went hardcore into a personal war with a particular mafia like off shoot of the Ivory Claws. Since they're supposedly all about purity, I'm tying them into the biotech renaissance happening in our game city as they both refine their own genetics to allow for more uratha to be born and attempt to clone Father Wolf.

Wicked. All my characters experiences with Pure have been suitably harrowing. It's the uneasiness brought from confronting someone with access to nearly all the same powers, but with a numerical advantage to round it out. I recall Chris Allen writing up a cloning lab for the Ivory Claws with that goal. The wealth and hubris goes well with mad science.

nofather fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 14, 2018

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm doing Mage wrong, my game's been running for almost two years. Perhaps it is I who am the Abyss??

Well... yes, you are a gulmoth, but we all thought it would be impolite to point out. We thought you knew.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Obligatum VII posted:

Well... yes, you are a gulmoth, but we all thought it would be impolite to point out. We thought you knew.

Ah, I see the Roses of Eden have made their appearance! Speaking of which, yeesh, I swear the Roses seem like a parody of the Free Council cooked up by particularly unkind Diamond mages.

(The Roses being a faction of mages who believe the Pentacle is too traditionalist and the Pentacle, Exarchs, and Abyss should all learn to live in balance. I think they were introduced in Keys to the Supernal Tarot and every time I have ever seen anyone reference them they've just made me want to groan.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Ah, I see the Roses of Eden have made their appearance! Speaking of which, yeesh, I swear the Roses seem like a parody of the Free Council cooked up by particularly unkind Diamond mages.

(The Roses being a faction of mages who believe the Pentacle is too traditionalist and the Pentacle, Exarchs, and Abyss should all learn to live in balance. I think they were introduced in Keys to the Supernal Tarot and every time I have ever seen anyone reference them they've just made me want to groan.)
What makes a faction neutral? Is it corruption? Hubris? Lust to win online arguments? Or were they simply awakened with hearts full of neutrality?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

nofather posted:

Wicked. All my characters experiences with Pure have been suitably harrowing. It's the uneasiness brought from confronting someone with access to nearly all the same powers, but with a numerical advantage to round it out. I recall Chris Allen writing up a cloning lab for the Ivory Claws with that goal. The wealth and hubris goes well with mad science.

Was that ever posted in this thread? I know I took the biotech angle from here, but I thought the cloning father wolf thing was mine.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

Was that ever posted in this thread? I know I took the biotech angle from here, but I thought the cloning father wolf thing was mine.

Oh wow it was mentioned here.

The original write-up was on /tg/ though, a description of what such a lab might look like

Here we go. https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43586930/#q43590565

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Xelkelvos posted:

Still reading Scion: Hero. Can't wait to read up on the pantheons not listed in Hero. Especially the Buddhist one. Also, was the White Eyebrow in the initial Shen preview?

Yeah, White Eyebrow’s been there.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Does Scion 2e have a character sheet or should we go guerrilla to playtest it?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

nofather posted:

Blasphemies did a lot to expand Bale Hounds, and I really wanted to keep that level of nuance in any writeup they got for 2e. The level of detail required for that meant we didn't have room for them in the 2e core, as pretty much any treatment in the tiny space I could eke out from everything else would have been hella reductive.

I was planning on giving the 2e update of the Bale Hounds plenty of room to breathe in Shunned by the Moon, but since I stepped back I don't know if that's still the plan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like the Bale Hounds a lot better than the Black Spiral Dancers.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
So in the next Hunter session I'm running, it looks like a Mage the cell's been low-level thwarting is going to up the ante by tormenting them in their dreams. Do any of the books cover weird dream-logic shenanigans for once they (eventually) figure out what's going on?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

PoultryGeist posted:

So in the next Hunter session I'm running, it looks like a Mage the cell's been low-level thwarting is going to up the ante by tormenting them in their dreams. Do any of the books cover weird dream-logic shenanigans for once they (eventually) figure out what's going on?

Astral Realms should have you covered and then some.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PoultryGeist posted:

For a twist or just more variety, there is a werewolf ability that also let's them continue the hunt inside someone's dreams. It's a moon gift called Dream Hunter. On page 118 in the 2e rulebook.

They would have to have seriously pissed off that werewolf, though, since it is only activated as part of a sacred hunt.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Astral Realms, various Changeling books including the core, Tooth and Nail for Hunter, Beast to some degree.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Thanks for the recs guys, looks like I have some reading to do.

And that werewolf ability may come in useful in the future, as they are forbidden from *physically* entering the city upon pain of reigniting a Hunter/Forsaken street war.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Does Scion 2e have a character sheet or should we go guerrilla to playtest it?

No official one yet.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Shameless plug for the new Geist preview: http://theonyxpath.com/the-dead-belong-below-geist-the-sin-eaters/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Where do the Cthonians stand on this whole Cthonic God thing? I mean, they've been here since the Underworld existed, they were never alive, and they don't really give a poo poo about the living. They aren't Reapers or Kerberoi, but those masks gotta come from somewhere.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mors Rattus posted:

Where do the Cthonians stand on this whole Cthonic God thing? I mean, they've been here since the Underworld existed, they were never alive, and they don't really give a poo poo about the living. They aren't Reapers or Kerberoi, but those masks gotta come from somewhere.

That is an excellent question! Unfortunately, to date no one has figured out how to ask a giant hookworm made of baby teeth its opinion on comparative religion.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

How reasonable would it be for a group of Reapers and Seers of the Throne to agree that the Psychopomp, Exarch of Death, is a Cthonic God or principle behind them? This is less about 'must fit this into Mage cosmology!' And more that everything I hear about the Underworld makes it sound like the Psychopomp would be just pleased as punch with it, which means it's a good antagonist.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

How reasonable would it be for a group of Reapers and Seers of the Throne to agree that the Psychopomp, Exarch of Death, is a Cthonic God or principle behind them? This is less about 'must fit this into Mage cosmology!' And more that everything I hear about the Underworld makes it sound like the Psychopomp would be just pleased as punch with it, which means it's a good antagonist.

Seems pretty reasonable for a mixed game to me.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GimpInBlack posted:

That is an excellent question! Unfortunately, to date no one has figured out how to ask a giant hookworm made of baby teeth its opinion on comparative religion.
I'm sure someone has, which makes the question "why didn't they come back to report their findings?" :tinfoil:

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm sure someone has, which makes the question "why didn't they come back to report their findings?" :tinfoil:

Likely the same difficulties about announcing any of this stuff. A lack of mass social media presence in the Underworld. The person who may have asked did so for a specific reason, and not to 'enlighten the masses,' general doubt others may have regarding their answer, a strange incomprehensibility in the answer (like the Orz) or answer that doesn't fit universally (plenty of beings across the gamelines would say they are a god, this doesn't mean everything of the same type is a god, or that that entity is one), and it's entirely possible they don't know themselves.

A lot of the entities that people seem to think know all the answers to the universe only know about the universe through their purview and are hard-wired to be as arrogant and imperious as possible.

nofather fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 15, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GimpInBlack posted:

They're clearly not trying hard enough.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

They're clearly not trying hard enough.

This is the problem with these dead kids today. No stick-to-it-ive-ness.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GimpInBlack posted:

This is the problem with these dead kids today. No stick-to-it-ive-ness.

Just imagine how many deathmasks might be inside the hookworm! WE MUST EXPLORE ITS BOWELS

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Some Reapers try to worship Cthonians. The Cthonians don't seem to notice.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Some Reapers try to worship Cthonians. The Cthonians don't seem to notice.

"Dear god, Larry. What is that thing doing?"

"That's a human, Harglethrix. I think he's sacrificing a virgin in your name and abasing himself before us in the hopes of gaining ultimate cthonic power. Just pretend he doesn't exist and he'll go bother something else in a bit."

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 15, 2018

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

1. Never have shame these are great and you've made this my most anticipated game right now.
2. I really like how you are continuing to stress the people centric nature of ghosts and everyone else. The idea of the River cities and camps is very evocative.
3. I'm really excited for mortal antagonists as well. I'm planning on stealing stuff from Expiration Date and the Giovanni as antagonists. I think a group of living extorting service for ghosts in return for remembering them and providing essence would fit right in too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kinda wanna run a dust bowl / Great Depression Geist game called The Geists of Wrath.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

neaden posted:

3. I'm really excited for mortal antagonists as well. I'm planning on stealing stuff from Expiration Date and the Giovanni as antagonists.

You're gonna love the Eaters of the Dead. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kinda wanna run a dust bowl / Great Depression Geist game called The Geists of Wrath.
Meanwhile I wanna run a (mythology not owod) Orpheus-inspired Underworld beat-em-up and rescue mission game called River Cities Ransom where you defeat the unknowable Chtonian-or-just-a-greaser-that-got-weird, "Slick" to rescue your ghost girlfriend