Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

In other news I just recently learned about the now Legends but at one point actual EU canon character Jedi Master Soon Bayts.

ungulateman posted:

apparently they had similar issues with ewan mcgregor constantly making lightsaber noises while filming the prequels :v:

This was even a legit 90's themed Trivial Pursuit question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I mean, wouldn't you, though?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
If Lucas wanted to make better films he should have shelled out for real lightsabers instead of relying on obvious fake CGI. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should leave the actors making their own sound effects in. :v:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zoran posted:

If Lucas wanted to make better films he should have shelled out for real lightsabers instead of relying on obvious fake CGI. :colbert:

They tried that in the 80s and one of the principal actors lost a hand and tried to sue.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MrJacobs posted:

They tried that in the 80s and one of the principal actors lost a hand and tried to sue.

I heard after that they had to stop selling them and they are kept in the same factory as the BTTF2 hoverboards.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I heard after that they had to stop selling them and they are kept in the same factory as the BTTF2 hoverboards.

they had to stop selling those after some kids kept playing near moving trains and getting pulled under. Then there was that guy who held up a tunnel for 6 hours while they found his corpse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/hamillhimself/status/974356611648147457?s=21

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Jerkface posted:

Apparently they filmed 1600 hours of documentary footage and so there will likely be further TLJ documentaries. THis was revealed at SXSW interview with Rian and his documentary guy.

That's awesome. The TLJ docu is really good, so I'd love to see longer pieces about the other major components post-primary filming. Something about other production pieces would be fascinating too, like the reshoots. What goes into those? How do they handle scheduling? How do they determine what works and didn't work?

We know they reshot some stuff based on interviews, would be interesting to get the BTS video of that process.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 15, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Knowing Hamill I can't tell if he means he really milked the puppet or he really milked the scene.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
They show the filming of that scene in the documentary. It was a lot more squirty and more missed the canteen. I don't know if they used a different take or cleaned it up in post. I know the milk looked more green in the movie, so some work might have been done there.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 15, 2018

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mark Hamill is the dad joke personified. What a joker!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Knowing Hamill I can't tell if he means he really milked the puppet or he really milked the scene.

both, I imagine

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

:thejoke:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Mark Hamill is really, really good in TLJ. His meeting with Leia is remarkable in it's depth of emotion portrayed almost exclusively through expression. He's never been a great actor but his performance (especially given middling material) is shocking and underrated.

Truly he was wasted by the ST. Hope we see substantially more from him in 9.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Mark Hamill is really, really good in TLJ. His meeting with Leia is remarkable in it's depth of emotion portrayed almost exclusively through expression. He's never been a great actor but his performance (especially given middling material) is shocking and underrated.

Truly he was wasted by the ST. Hope we see substantially more from him in 9.

Hamil is a great actor when doing voice work. His Joker perfect.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I would be shocked if Luke didn't show up in the next movie as a force ghost. Why should Yoda get all the fun needling people from the great beyond?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
OP As gently caress Force Ghost Luke shows up at the last second to karate chop Kylo Ren in his windpipe and save the day on Death Star III.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gonz posted:

OP As gently caress Force Ghost Luke shows up at the last second to karate chop Kylo Ren in his windpipe and save the day on Death Star III.

Death Star IV

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NTRabbit posted:

Death Star IV

Are you trying to get jivjov in here?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

Death Star IV

What, you think Episode IX is gonna have 2 Death Stars?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Two Deathstars, but they're boobs on a giant DeathRobot that floats around in space because it's much too big for a planet

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It should be Death Star V. You've got to account for the original Star Tours ride.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ammanas posted:

You know something? He's the perfect actor for this kind of thing because he doesn't consider any of it beneath him. He's hamming for sure but he's not standing outside it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I still want a future Star War to feature Liam Neeson showing up and leading a Force Ghost parade.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Two Deathstars, but they're boobs on a giant DeathRobot that floats around in space because it's much too big for a planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7aeWQCF1jM

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
When Padme met Anakin she was fleeing for her life while her own planet was being invaded. Her request for assistance from the Republic to protect her own wealthy planet was summarily denied. She's supposed to unilaterally free the slaves on a sovereign planet with...what resources exactly?

The second movie begins with another assassination attempt on her life and then being forced into hiding for the rest of the film until galactic war breaks out. She's not exactly having the time of her life in Episodes I-II.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The truth is that they simply don't care. Padme is herself a slaveowner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They have different morals in the Star Wars galaxy; owning slaves is actually the good side there. :v:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

There was a lot of talk about how the new movies were using "more pracrical effects and less CGI"

I'm not a special effectsologist so I hold no preconceptions about what's "better" between the two approaches, and I haven't seen many big budget visual effects movies in a theater in a while, but to me, a lot of the wide shots of spaceship action in TLJ had a kind of overly-sharp, glossy look that was very reminiscent of video game cutscenes. A big part of it seemed to be due to how they were lit, but I'm curious if the space scenes were done using models or if they were 100% CGI.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jewmanji posted:

When Padme met Anakin she was fleeing for her life while her own planet was being invaded. Her request for assistance from the Republic to protect her own wealthy planet was summarily denied. She's supposed to unilaterally free the slaves on a sovereign planet with...what resources exactly?

The second movie begins with another assassination attempt on her life and then being forced into hiding for the rest of the film until galactic war breaks out. She's not exactly having the time of her life in Episodes I-II.

She likely had time between 1 and 2.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

There was a lot of talk about how the new movies were using "more pracrical effects and less CGI"

I'm not a special effectsologist so I hold no preconceptions about what's "better" between the two approaches, and I haven't seen many big budget visual effects movies in a theater in a while, but to me, a lot of the wide shots of spaceship action in TLJ had a kind of overly-sharp, glossy look that was very reminiscent of video game cutscenes. A big part of it seemed to be due to how they were lit, but I'm curious if the space scenes were done using models or if they were 100% CGI.

Almost all the space stuff, except for interior cockpit shots, is completely CGI. In fact, there's very little difference overall in the amount of CGI use between the prequels and the sequels. (Perhaps most notable is that most of the stormtroopers are real, and none of the clone troopers were.) It's true that most of the aliens are practical, but that's not actually better, because now they almost all have the same bulbous foreheads and massive jaws. The one new alien with significant screen time is, of course, all CGI.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Weirdly, I think the only thing that's gone to the trouble and expense of using a motion-controlled model for its spaceship shots in a long time is on TV: The Orville. (And even that uses CG as well.) Movies went from 'mostly models with a bit of CGI' to 'mostly CGI with some models' after Independence Day and Starship Troopers, and for spaceship stuff CG has been the most cost-effective way of doing shots since the turn of the century. ILM overbuilt the Enterprise-E for First Contact expecting to use it for five movies, and it was only used for two before being completely replaced by a CG version.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Spacebump posted:

She likely had time between 1 and 2.

Look man, she just got bogged down in paperwork in the ten-fifteen years between Episode I and II, okay?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why is it up to Padme. Hes a jedi with a lightsaber and is going off on missions with Obiwan. Take a side trip and do it yourself.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why is it up to Padme. Hes a jedi with a lightsaber and is going off on missions with Obiwan. Take a side trip and do it yourself.

The complaint is that there are plenty of characters who are filthy rich and who have plenty of motivation to free her, and very few reasons not to. Personally, I feel that "They don't care" is a very good explanation and one that is central to the movies, but it's difficult to swallow because it means they are all a bunch of assholes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the best thing would have been to have jar jar go save shmi then marry her. because jar jar being the step dad of vader would have owned

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Honestly, I thought that the CGI in Last Jedi looked almost exactly like a cutscene from Superman 64 which debuted on the Nintendo 64 in 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

The complaint is that there are plenty of characters who are filthy rich and who have plenty of motivation to free her, and very few reasons not to. Personally, I feel that "They don't care" is a very good explanation and one that is central to the movies, but it's difficult to swallow because it means they are all a bunch of assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M-BcQLEAJY