Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

This is good for bitcoin Trump Org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i still like watching obama and meyers serial dunk on trump (because he's the only one in the room not laughing or even cracking a smile).

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sexualizing and getting performatively angry about your own sexualization of teenage girls to own the libs

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm sorry, but whatever happened to the good old fashioned "[minority] is raping white women"? Did it go out of style? What a convoluted way to get at the same idea that minorities are emasculating white men.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 15, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

boner confessor posted:

sexualizing and getting performatively angry about your own sexualization of teenage girls to own the libs

"trajectory of hotness" :barf:

They are like 14-15 you sick gently caress.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The great filter is almost certainly multicellular life. Every other step has happened in an instant of geological time, going from single cells to multiple cells is the only thing that seems to have been even remotely hard. All the proposed great filters ahead of us are just stuff that removes elements that happened basically the first second they could have possibly happened (which indicates they were pretty likely to happen).

All the suggestions for great filter ahead of us are all just human specific or whiney. Global warming will kill all humans or whatever, but not in a great filter sort of way. Great filter doesn't just mean "kills one species". civilization seems to be the easiest thing in the world once you have sentients, sentients seemed to appear rapidly after brains, brains appeared quickly when nerves appeared, animals appeared quickly after plants, life started the first instant any place on earth could have life, multicellular life is the only step that seems to have not happened the precise first second it could have.Making it the only apparent "hard" or irreplaceable step.

Over half a billion years for animals->neolithic revolution isn't nothing. Humans are a very fluky combination of adaptations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm sorry, but whatever happened to the good old fashioned "[minority] is raping white women"? Did it go out of style? What a convoluted way to get at the same idea that minorities are emasculating white men.

its still there. they just dog whistle it more now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Over half a billion years for animals->neolithic revolution isn't nothing. Humans are a very fluky combination of adaptations.

hopefully nature won't ever repeat that mistake

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

"trajectory of hotness" :barf:

They are like 14-15 you sick gently caress.

Incidentally, I'm not seeing where his views overlap with Trump's.:downs:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/PageSixEmily/status/974391420462272512

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am buying a bottle of whiskey.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there are probably loads of intelligent beingsout there, it's just the universe is both extremely old and extremely large.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Groovelord Neato posted:

even after living through an administration which had karl rove talk about how they created their own reality it's still incredible when they lie about things that are so plainly true.

I mean the trick is that by and large, the Bush admin's resident crooks mostly lied about stuff that was either difficult for most people to disprove, or politically dangerous to try to disprove. Sure, there were people raising the alarm over the Iraq War justification at the time, but parsing out exactly what parts of it were bullshit took time and effort that most people really just didn't want to do. It was also pre-social media and mostly pre-streaming video (Youtube), so even the more blatant bullshit couldn't travel around the world so fast. Their lies were put together with some sense of care and purpose, to achieve specific objectives, and in a way that by the time anyone could prove they were lying, they'd be 17 steps further down the road to what they wanted to do.

Trump and his team instead lie about literally everything, including things that are easy to disprove. It's rarely for any purpose more specific than demonstrating that they don't have to give a poo poo about the truth and that there's nothing anyone can do about it. The lies are not carefully constructed, there's no tactical or strategic goals behind them, they just are. They lie about whether the sun was out, or whether they said the thing everyone just heard them say - things that take no effort to counter. It's an effective smokescreen, in an exceedingly crude way, but it's an entirely different mode of lying.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Holy poo poo this is just insane. Combined with the other article about the nazi who was banging his wife's stepmother (i think that was the connection???), the alt-right is the definition of "there's a lot to unpack here."

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Only one more to tie your "retarded dad"!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The next time you wish for Donald Trump to get a divorce, clarify which one.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Here's a new one. Trump lied about lying:
https://twitter.com/Alex_Panetta/status/974392622172246022

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Looking forward to her testifying against him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eric and don jr should have to switch names cuz eric looks way more like he should be donald trump jr.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Groovelord Neato posted:

there are probably loads of intelligent beingsout there, it's just the universe is both extremely old and extremely large.

That's kind of the point, though; the larger it is and older it is, the MORE likely we should be to see intelligent life. Every additional planet is another chance to spawn life, and age just makes it easier for distant signs of life to have had time to reach us.

A more plausible explanation is that intelligent life is relatively common but that by the time it is capable of expanding beyond its own solar system or performing great, star-altering feats of technology it rarely feels a great need to do so, coupled with some vague physics reasons why interstellar communication of even the loudhorn variety ends up being even harder than we were led to think, leading to a universe full of quiet little archipelagos of life that keep to themselves

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 15, 2018

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Koalas March posted:

I know said "read" but here is my black in America 101 primer:

Here is a list of essays by Coates: https://www.theatlantic.com/author/ta-nehisi-coates/

TV
Blackish
Atlanta
Dear White People

:siren: Relevant to the discussions in this thread as well :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA9QBZr8WEg

Books
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: https://www.chimamanda.com/book/americanah/
Malcom X: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Autobiography_of_Malcolm_X
Seize The Time
Assata: An Autobiography

Music
Solange - Seat At The Table
Kendrick Lamar - drat & The Black Panther Album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTtrnDbOQAU

If you have the time, you can also go through and read either the Goldmined Negrotown Thread or the new and active one.

For the record, the goldmined one is probably what you want. It includes me and a few other black posters who are long probated/banned talking about our personal experiences, and a lot more of us doing Q&A and dealing with yts who think that our space should be open and cater to them and their feelings.

Don't forget The Boondocks, both the comic strip and TV show, from Aaron McGruder. It's arguably required viewing/reading. He won a Peabody for Return of the King for a reason.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 15, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Groovelord Neato posted:

eric and don jr should have to switch names cuz eric looks way more like he should be donald trump jr.

Eric was easier for him to spell, so they switched names

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Groovelord Neato posted:

On mobile so I can’t go into depth but look up the Fermi Paradox for why “the galaxy is big” isn’t good enough for the lack of evidence for aliens.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/donaldjtrumpjr/status/131053843093004288

Groovelord Neato posted:

Trump was hesitant about giving Jr his name because he thought he might be a dud.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Triskelli posted:

On mobile so I can’t go into depth but look up the Fermi Paradox for why “the galaxy is big” isn’t good enough for the lack of evidence for aliens.

we gotta make a lot of assumptions with the fermi paradox and it's more the time issue with the size issue.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ague Proof posted:

The next time you wish for Donald Trump to get a divorce, clarify which one.

If there's one thing we can be absolutely certain about in these dark days, it's that whoever has access to wish granters is pretty sloppy about their wording.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

Trump was hesitant about giving Jr his name because he thought he might be a dud.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I think I dismissed Blackish because of the name, at least didn't think it would get serious, but that clip was powerful. And the youtube clip hole I went down was really funny and good. I don't watch much network television but may have to start. Now I wonder what was in their kneeling episode that caused the network to censor it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Groovelord Neato posted:

Donald, other Donald, girl Donald, Who?, and The Kid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the funniest simpsons moment. never fails to make me laugh.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

AAAAAAAARGH gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU.

This and the story about the crash caused by ICE... argh.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I dunno. I think that talking about any nuanced issue on the internet is hard without having knowledge of the person. It’s way too easy to project your biases on what someone types and too often poo poo goes south when both parties are engaging in good faith (which I believe Koala and Wrench both are).

Obviously this is an Internet forum, but talking about sensitive poo poo like race is a goddamn minefield.

Please note that this isn’t a :smuggo: “be like me goons, I am not racist since I am colorblind,” :smuggo: it’s just saying that as a third party I think you’re reading each other wrong on the race stuff.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lord Hydronium posted:

Donald, other Donald, girl Donald, Who?, and The Kid.

Is Don Jr. the oldest of the spawn?

Your oldest son is the failson. Your second oldest son is the failson. Your youngest son doesn't even know who you are.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 15, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

AAAAAAAARGH gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU.

This and the story about the crash caused by ICE... argh.

this is why decorum is such loving garbage. their fellow congresspeople should be calling them monsters at every opportunity.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

It's weird to imagine someone looking at their newborn baby and thinking "god i hope this one doesn't loving suck"

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

EnergizerFellow posted:

Don't forget The Boondocks, both the comic strip and TV show, from Aaron McGruder. It's arguably required viewing/reading. He won a Peabody for a reason.

I need to rewatch The Boondocks at some point. I am pretty sure there were points about race, society, etc. that went over my head and I just got potentially problematic humor from it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

I used to get great subpoenas at this Chilean place down the street. Those are the fried dough things right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird to imagine someone looking at their newborn baby and thinking "god i hope this one doesn't loving suck"

trump's a spartan.

• Locked thread