Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I mean, I guess if you mandate lethal-to-remove brainstem PAN auth implants and global location tracking collars then giving out your password wouldn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

loving hell.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/us/politics/russia-cyberattacks.html

quote:

The Trump administration accused Russia on Thursday of engineering a series of cyberattacks that targeted American and European nuclear power plants and water and electric systems, and could have sabotaged or shut power plants off at will.

United States officials and private security firms saw the attacks as a signal by Moscow that it could sabotage the West’s critical facilities in the event of a conflict.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WW3 will be fought online as well as on the battlefield. And the networks will be just as important as strategic victories/cities.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ahahahah so let me guess they can also override and overload them

Unghhhh love my perspectives of future.

Also, why are nuclear plants connected to the internet like at all

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

orange sky posted:

Ahahahah so let me guess they can also override and overload them

Unghhhh love my perspectives of future.

Also, why are nuclear plants connected to the internet like at all

Outsourced lowest-bid vendors just chucking DSL modems in to monitor their vending machines or air conditioners or whatever and then somebody trips over some wires and just shoves them back in anywhere they fit.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Dang, how long has it been since we had a good ol "our critical infrastructure is at risk from poor infosec practices" scare

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

anthonypants posted:

Dang, how long has it been since we had a good ol "our critical infrastructure is at risk from poor infosec practices" scare

If you're familiar with modern SCADA systems, Stuxnet and related drama, it's a very real concern to have. The systems are very robust, but do exactly what you tell them to, and a great many of them have weak or nonexistent permissions preventing remote modification. Add in the fact that a great many plants have several internet links for out of band management, and poor if any air gapping procedures, and you have a fun target to point at.

Near as I can determine, any generation facility can be damaged if you have access to the SCADA system. You can completely wreck the turbines in a generator facility in a dozen different ways, ranging from 'this is bad' up through 'cheaper to build a new one'. Disabling the turbine or generator bearing oiling mechanism, and spoofing the bearing temp data, disconnecting the breakers and forcing the turbine and genset to fail via overspeed, and a few others that are more complex. Despite costing millions of dollars and taking months to build, they're not exactly super complex devices, and much like the turbo in a car, no oil or going to fast will break it just as surely as if you took a hammer to it. Unlike the turbo in the car, when it comes lose after melting the bearings, it tends to do a great deal of damage, Temple of Doom rolling boulder style to anything around it.

It's a serious as gently caress issue, because you can more or less brown out or black out huge sections of the national grid more or less on a whim if you can damage or destroy 10% of it's generation capacity. Not to mention the incredible loss of life and environmental damage if an actual reactor is induced to fail.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you're familiar with modern SCADA systems, Stuxnet and related drama, it's a very real concern to have.
I'm aware, I don't believe it's not a real threat. What I don't believe is that now, today, this time, the people in charge are going to buckle down and do something about it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Don't worry, Trump will just pretend the hack never happened and we won't have to do anything about it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

anthonypants posted:

I'm aware, I don't believe it's not a real threat. What I don't believe is that now, today, this time, the people in charge are going to buckle down and do something about it.

It's entirely pageantry to either distract from something, or to advance an agenda by putting it forward. That agenda might actually be 'make these things safer' if we're really lucky! Hell if I know the specifics behind it being done today.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't worry, Trump will just pretend the hack never happened and we won't have to do anything about it.

The lights going out tends to be something harder to wish away.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The lights going out tends to be something harder to wish away.
I wonder what the folks in Puerto Rico have to say about this sentiment. And Flint, Michigan hasn't had clean drinking water for almost four years now, but we haven't found a way to pin that one on The Russians yet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/imjayhay/status/974335393595183104

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Near as I can determine, any generation facility can be damaged if you have access to the SCADA system.

This was touted as the first "cyber incident" that caused physical damage, but the guy had stolen SCADA gear in his car:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/10/31/hacker_jailed_for_revenge_sewage/

I guess it's true to say he had a laptop in his car that was used, but the software in question, iirc, was Putty or similar to talk to the radio equipment.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

anthonypants posted:

So far all I've seen is DHS people out giving vague guidelines on things or being sticklers about stupid poo poo. Every SCADA system group I've ever interacted with has been engineers from other disciplines that just know enough computer stuff to "get by", heavily leaning on vendors trying to sell you commodity hardware to run a system with a 10-20 year lifespan.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Maneki Neko posted:

So far all I've seen is DHS people out giving vague guidelines on things or being sticklers about stupid poo poo. Every SCADA system group I've ever interacted with has been engineers from other disciplines that just know enough computer stuff to "get by", heavily leaning on vendors trying to sell you commodity hardware to run a system with a 10-20 year lifespan.
The real infosec fuckup is lowest-bidder contractors.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Maneki Neko posted:

Setting up and implementing a SCADA system is a huge pain in the dick. You basically need to know everything there is to know about how the plant needs operate, down to the smallest valve and relay, design a system that's able to capture and control all of that, then connect it up in such a way that a sparky who barely knows how to use his phone can't gently caress it all up by plugging the wrong network cable in place, and staying proactive and on top of monitoring, patching and updating the back end network systems.

Exactly no facilities actually do all of that, because it's way easier to leave a dusty old dell in the corner with a network card and CANBUS card and have the vendor remote in to fix things. Or they get sold on the unholy crossbreed of safety critical infrastructure and IoT, cloud managed PLC!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

anthonypants posted:

The real infosec fuckup is lowest-bidder contractors.

How do you combat that though? I feel like getting rid of the lowest bidder requirement (is it formally one?) would just lead to a lot of companies contracting out to whoever buys them the best steak dinner.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can still have somebody qualified providing oversight to the contractors to make sure that remote access is justified and implemented in a way that doesn't compromise the rest of the system, but that person will cost money.

AFAIK bid processes are a lot more nuanced in public procurement than just going for the lowest cost - you need to give every bidder the same information and an idea of how their bids will be scored, any clarifications need to go to all the bidders, and the results of the scoring are made public. It's still open to people just blatantly grading responses wrong to favour their preferred option, but then that's public and can be challenged.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 16, 2018

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do you combat that though? I feel like getting rid of the lowest bidder requirement (is it formally one?) would just lead to a lot of companies contracting out to whoever buys them the best steak dinner.

This seems like a perfectly reasonable criteria.

Thanks Ants posted:

You can still have somebody qualified providing oversight to the contractors to make sure that remote access is justified and implemented in a way that doesn't compromise the rest of the system, but that person will cost money.

AFAIK bid processes are a lot more nuanced in public procurement than just going for the lowest cost - you need to give every bidder the same information and an idea of how their bids will be scored, any clarifications need to go to all the bidders, and the results of the scoring are made public. It's still open to people just blatantly grading responses wrong to favour their preferred option, but then that's public and can be challenged.

What we find is that the people crafting the RFP just tailor it so their preferred vendor is the only one who can win anyway.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

you do it in public through tenders being released, defined points for quality in each step of the process and an overall cost/quality % where the lowest bidder can be marked away if people aren't comfortable with it. you can't really stop multiple parties working to break the process directly, but that's where arbitration of awards and judicial oversight come into play

uk has: gov.uk, public contracts scotland, sell2wales, esourcing ni and etendersni if you want to delve into what it looks like in practice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Boris Galerkin posted:

You develop strong policy that defines requirements for IT system security and maintenance and make sure your vendors are contractually obliged to abide by it by stating those requirements in the bid process.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Boris Galerkin posted:

It is a legal requirement for government contracts to accept the lowest bidder in many places, but I might as well have said "the real infosec fuckup is bikeshedding".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

What we find is that the people crafting the RFP just tailor it so their preferred vendor is the only one who can win anyway.
It’s a thin line between writing the rfp to a supplier’s benefit and writing one where you want the outcome to not be challenged once the select the offer that’s obviously the best matches to your requirements.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The US nuclear industry is especially bad off due to NIMBYism, and I imagine a lot of the plants have things that haven’t been upgraded in ages.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When you’re sniffing traffic, how easy is it to tell what type of file is being transferred? It just occurred to me that on the rare instances I sync my password database I’m transmitting my master key as well :doh:.

Not sure how much it would matter even if someone was monitoring my traffic for some odd reason, I’d probably have to be more worried about logging in to stuff on WiFi. And my password is 25 characters of numbers, symbols, uppercase, and lowercase with no words, something like 2-300 entropy bits. So my original reason for wondering doesn’t make sense after typing it out, but I don’t really know how spying on WiFi works still.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If it is a concern, use a vpn service.

You can get a subscription for something like Nord.

But I'd recommend rolling your own with Algo

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Roll my own crypto? :v:

It’s really more curiosity than anything. It might not be a bad idea anyway. It would currently require tapping into the hard line 99% of the time since I never use my laptop and do almost everything involving important data on my desktop. Comcast encrypts the data going over their network, right? Or am I being overly optimistic?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

how are you sending your master password over the network anyway?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lol, I fully expect comcast to be analyzing every single packet you are sending.

But roll your own, I mean VPN Server. Algo is a pretty cool piece of tech and worth reading more about even if you don't think you'll use it.

I personally don't worry about it too much on my home internet, just when I'm using public WiFi.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

how are you sending your master password over the network anyway?

Resilio Sync. Syncs certain folders with designated connected devices on demand (you can pay for automatic, manual is free). Private key, not password. Sorry if I misspoke. I’ve got it secured both by key and password. It’s how I keep my passwords accessible on all my devices without having Lastpass give them away a couple times a year.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

According to this page Resilio traffic is encrypted with AES-128 which is a lower level of security than their own website.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:negative:

Is there anything similar that’s better, or should I just be doing a manual transfer between the computers? Is there a good free way to do that securely? At previous jobs I used LogMeIn mostly, although I also did some copies through Powershl. Not sure if that was secure or just stupid, though. I guess we had firewalls, but I don’t know how they were set up. Wasn’t my responsibility.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

just don't sync the key file? i wouldn't even keep it in the same online location, personally (i transfer mine manually when it needs to be transferred, either with a wire to my phone or with a jump drive between computers)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah.

If what you're doing works for you for all of your other files, and the only piece of sensitive data you're concerned about is you key file, just don't sync that file.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
* Something you know
* Something you own
* Something you are

Those are the standard 3 components for authenticating yourself. The keyfile is used as the "something you own" component, with your password as "something you know". You need to actually control its ownership for it to be any benefit - stick it on a USB stick that you carry along (plus perhaps a backup in the cloud encrypted with a password written down in your safe at your summer home).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I should probably only transfer the database. I just had a lightbulb when I realized that I have been transferring both pieces at the same time for the past 2+ years.

I guess I could carry it in a YSB stick as well. I’d be worried about losing it, but if I did I could just treat it like I lost my phone and change all the passwords.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Maybe generate a new key file when you stop syncing it, just in case someone managed to intercept it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RFC2324 posted:

Maybe generate a new key file when you stop syncing it, just in case someone managed to intercept it.

If you are reacting to that scenario, you need to change all your passwords too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Subjunctive posted:

If you are reacting to that scenario, you need to change all your passwords too.

He's just realizing that keeping his key file in the same location that he accesses on public wifi as the database itself needs to be fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA7LGqwjhYs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So this happened. I’m sure everything is fine.

https://twitter.com/evacide/status/975862319472234496