Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Shep probably thinks that he can do some good in his position, but in reality all the fox news viewers see him as a funny liberal that's there for comedic purposes. Many people who tell me they watch fox will go out of their way to mention "except shep."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Every hypothesis about extraterrestrial life requires a lot of assumptions. The fact is that we only have observable evidence of life being spawned on a planet one time (Earth). Because of this, we have no idea one way or the other if there is other life out there; we don't know the statistical probability of life, we don't know how many habitable planets there are, we don't know if only Earth-like planets can harbor life, and the list goes on. Basically, we have almost no answers for any of the questions about the creation of life. Every single hypothesis, paradox, or estimate about it is little more than a guess.

With absolutely no way to know the likelihood/probability of life in the universe, it's just as likely that there is alien life as it is that there is no alien life, let alone any guesses about how advanced they could be.

This is a way back but this is a crap argument. Given the size of the universe (literally beyond human comprehension) and the age (just as as beyond human comprehension) and the fact that we know that life as we define it exists here the existence of other life in the universe is 100% certain. Now whether or not it's advanced enough to have left any sort of evidence that we could detect or that "intelligent" life is close enough to that we'd have seen some sort of evidence of it (even if we recognized it) is another matter entirely.

But frankly the universe is too loving big and way too loving old for us to be unique.

We may not know how plentiful/rare it may be but if it exists here, the probability of it existing elsewhere is basically 100%.

Skex fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 16, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Johnny Bravo posted:

I dunno much about him other than he's gay and has worked for fox news a long rear end time mostly being the only one capable of not spreading a bunch of bullshit, what makes him a terrible person?

Is he confirmed gay? I thought that was a rumor.

He's a bad person because he clearly realizes that Fox News is propaganda garbage fueling a lurch towards the fascist right in this country and yet hangs out to give it legitimacy by doing actual journalism for them in his little bubble. If he had integrity and self-respect, he'd jump ship to CNN or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Bravo posted:

what makes him a terrible person?

I mean other than working at fox news obviously

Yeah I suppose collecting a paycheck for being the good cop at the propaganda mill isn't quite enough of a reason

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lightning Knight posted:

It's confirmed, he's talked about it before

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

He's a bad person because he clearly realizes that Fox News is propaganda garbage fueling a lurch towards the fascist right in this country and yet hangs out to give it legitimacy by doing actual journalism for them in his little bubble. If he had integrity and self-respect, he'd jump ship to CNN or something.

I thought Shep came out about a year ago? I think it around the election, but don't quote me on that. I distinctly remember thinking "I wonder how long it will take Fox to fire him now" but my memory is trash.

edit: yep https://www.advocate.com/media/2016/10/18/not-everyone-congratulated-shepard-smith-coming-out

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

isnt Pro Publica a right wing site?

E: left the post but didn’t post soon enough!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird to imagine someone looking at their newborn baby and thinking "god i hope this one doesn't loving suck"

Catching up on new posts/500 posts.

I didn't see it mention yet, but he said this about Ivanka when she was a baby too. "Hope she has great titties like her mother."

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

PhazonLink posted:

Catching up on new posts/500 posts.

I didn't see it mention yet, but he said this about Ivanka when she was a baby too. "Hope she has great titties like her mother."

Iirc that was Tiffany. He forgot about her altogether five minutes later.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm volunteering at WFMU tonight, one of the other guys here was telling us about a time in 2014 he was DJing at a club in Jersey City and Jared Kushner came up to him after his set and said "Hey man, those were some cool beats!"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Toebone posted:

I'm volunteering at WFMU tonight, one of the other guys here was telling us about a time in 2014 he was DJing at a club in Jersey City and Jared Kushner came up to him after his set and said "Hey man, those were some cool beats!"

As if I couldn't hate Jared more, he's a Taylor Swift fan.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Crow Jane posted:

Iirc that was Tiffany. He forgot about her altogether five minutes later.

And it turns out his fears re: Jr. were well founded. He did turn out to be a dud, in so many ways.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

I thought Shep came out about a year ago? I think it around the election, but don't quote me on that. I distinctly remember thinking "I wonder how long it will take Fox to fire him now" but my memory is trash.

edit: yep https://www.advocate.com/media/2016/10/18/not-everyone-congratulated-shepard-smith-coming-out

Oh ok, that's cool then.

I'm wary of assigning gayness to people who haven't specifically come out as gay because it's often deployed as a slur, and I remember it used to be this "hurr durr funny Shep is gay" type deal like, 4-6 years ago. I didn't know he'd actually come out and that's good for him, tho.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh ok, that's cool then.

I'm wary of assigning gayness to people who haven't specifically come out as gay because it's often deployed as a slur, and I remember it used to be this "hurr durr funny Shep is gay" type deal like, 4-6 years ago. I didn't know he'd actually come out and that's good for him, tho.

As a bisexual I can tell you everyone is gay (#twentygayteen) except the women who are actually interested in me because lesbians/bi gals suck at communicating with each other and always assume every lady they're into is straight even as they're actively flirting/making out with us.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

PT6A posted:

And it turns out his fears re: Jr. were well founded. He did turn out to be a dud, in so many ways.

Eric's still the bigger dud, tho, so he gets to keep the Donald Jr title for now. At least until Barron comes of age, proves his worthiness by clubbing a baby manatee to death or whatever the gently caress rich kids do, and usurps the name

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/14/rand-paul-gina-haspel-cia-director-torture-gleeful-joy

How many Dem senators are going to have less moral courage than Rand loving Paul?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish I was bisexual because it would double my dating-chances from zero to none.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mcmagic posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/14/rand-paul-gina-haspel-cia-director-torture-gleeful-joy

How many Dem senators are going to have less moral courage than Rand loving Paul?

Pretty much all of them that don't plan on running in 2020, probably.

But also: gently caress Rand Paul, he's still garbage.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas March posted:

As a bisexual I can tell you everyone is gay (#twentygayteen) except the women who are actually interested in me because lesbians/bi gals suck at communicating with each other and always assume every lady they're into is straight even as they're actively flirting/making out with us.

I will grant that's #BiBoyPrivilege, if you're a dude and a dude sticks his tongue in your mouth he's probably at least a LITTLE bit interested.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

Eric's still the bigger dud, tho, so he gets to keep the Donald Jr until Barron comes of age and proves his worthiness by clubbing a baby manatee to death or whatever the gently caress rich kids do
Is he though...? Lately I'm not so sure.

I mean, he hasn't had a meeting with Russians then emailed the details leading up to it. I haven't heard much about tweets from him.... There was that thing we found out about last last year where he admitted Russian funding for their courses to a golf pro several years ago. Also not sure how the thing with donny snr ripping off his charity match panned out.

No, Donny Jr's the bigger douche I think.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cable Guy posted:

I mean, he hasn't had a meeting with Russians then emailed the details leading up to it. I haven't heard much about tweets from him.... There was that thing we found out about last last year where he admitted Russian funding for their courses to a golf pro several years ago. Also not sure how the thing with donny snr ripping off his charity match panned out.

Junior leans towards the interview glass in the prison. "Don't worry. They can't convict a father and a son for the same crime."

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Skex posted:

Given the the fact that we know that life as we define it exists here the existence of other life in the universe is 100% certain....

We may not know how plentiful/rare it may be but if it exists here, the probability of it existing elsewhere is basically 100%.
We have absolutely no way and no idea how to determine the likelihood of life in the universe. Because it exists on Earth is not proof that it exists elsewhere. For all we know, the probability would predict for only one planet to have life, or it could predict a billion planets. We have no way of knowing this at this time, meaning all possibilities are equally plausible.

Even within your post, you went from "100% certain" to "basically 100%."

Maybe in 20 years, we'll find something in the favor of alien life, then we can say it's "basically 100%."

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh ok, that's cool then.

Yea I didn't mean it as a slur in the slightest, apologies if anyone took it that way. Criticizing him for choosing to work at fox news is fair, I was just curious if there was anything else to warrant 'he's a terrible person' and should kill himself (I know you weren't the one suggesting the latter)

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Koalas March posted:

As a trans lesbian I can both confirm this and state that this is one of the very few things in life that works out well to my advantage. Women who are either bi and or bi-curious feel safe coming out to me, and this can lead the conversation in very interesting directions. I've also been in the interesting position of getting to tell two girls who were interested in each other that they were both secretly into that sort of thing. ( in the midwest at least bi women were often extremely cautious about who they came out too in my experience)

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish I was bisexual because it would double my dating-chances from zero to none.

You should wish you were demi-sexual, because you'd still have zero dating opportunities but at least you'd be able to lord it over everyone else by pretending you were somehow superior by not having sex with anyone.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Cable Guy posted:

Jr's definitely the bigger douche, but Eric strikes me as the kind of inbred abomination rich families like the Trumps used to keep locked up in towers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Johnny Bravo posted:

Yea I didn't mean it as a slur in the slightest, apologies if anyone took it that way. Criticizing him for choosing to work at fox news is fair, I was just curious if there was anything else to warrant 'he's a terrible person' and should kill himself (I know you weren't the one suggesting the latter)

No, it was just working for Fox News. But I didn't know he was gay, and frankly, continuing to work for a Republican propaganda network is even more reprehensible if you're gay, since you're complicit in spreading propaganda for people who want to take away your rights and, in the worst cases, literally imprison or kill you.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Koalas March posted:

It comforts me to know that communicating with women isn't easy no matter what your sexual orientation.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crows Turn Off posted:

We have absolutely no way and no idea how to determine the likelihood of life in the universe. Because it exists on Earth is not proof that it exists elsewhere. For all we know, the probability would predict for only one planet to have life, or it could predict a billion planets. We have no way of knowing this at this time, meaning all possibilities are equally plausible.

You can make guesses on probability based on how fast things happened on earth.

Life formed on earth within 150 million years of the first drop of liquid water existing on earth. The fact it happened that fast and not 10 billion years after implies a lot about how easy it was for the dice roll to come up. The jump to multicellular life is so clearly the only step that had any delay or unlikeliness to it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I will grant that's #BiBoyPrivilege, if you're a dude and a dude sticks his tongue in your mouth he's probably at least a LITTLE bit interested.

go on...

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shep also addressed his sexuality on-air in a really weird obituary about Roger Ailes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ENsPlo_cUA

He seems like a good guy, which makes it a shame that he works for Fox News and evidently admired Ailes.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

Jr's definitely the bigger douche, but Eric strikes me as the kind of inbred abomination rich families like the Trumps used to keep locked up in towers.
I can't remember if it was earlier in this thread, the Freeper thread, or maybe the PyF Funny pictures thread, but someone posted a tweet by some nutbag espousing the "every time a woman has sex she takes on some of the essence of the guy" theory.

There's also some evidence (iirc) that pregnancy can leave a woman with small gene packets from the father as part of her own genetic makeup (something to do with epigenetics - I really can't remember how correlated it was through actual data, but the human body is kinda amazing...)

You reckon that's what we have here? Sometime after giving birth to Donny Jr, Ivana had a gene packet make it's way epigenetically into an ova, where it waited a few years until it was fertilised... Donny x Donny instead of Donny x Ivana...?

You know, you could be onto something there...

Edit: Here's an article talking about it in Australian Popular Science. The study it links to is now a 404 page.... I really don't have time to look further atm, but yeah apparently it might be a thing.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 16, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can make guesses on probability based on how fast things happened on earth.

Life formed on earth within 150 million years of the first drop of liquid water existing on earth. The fact it happened that fast and not 10 billion years after implies a lot about how easy it was for the dice roll to come up. The jump to multicellular life is so clearly the only step that had any delay or unlikeliness to it.

The other major unlikeliness is everything required to develop to the point we have technologically.

I mean, apart from the fact that it's pretty much a roll of the dice whether any species survives the vicissitudes of fate, an "intelligent" species capable of developing similar to humanity would need to be intelligent, have the capacity to transmit culture and knowledge in some form, and I would argue, some capacity for fine motor skills. Further, we've avoided civilization-ending calamity so far, and we've invented technology which has the capability to end our own species, but we've so far managed to avoid using it.

Frankly, the steps from primate-ancestor to where we are now seem significantly less likely than the creation of multicellular life in the first place.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Donald's Genetic Leftovers

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Koalas March posted:

As if I couldn't hate Jared more, he's a Taylor Swift fan.
His brother is engaged to TSwift's erstwhile weirdly enmeshed BFF/possible secret partner, which is just another item to throw on the Darth Becky pile.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Crows Turn Off posted:

Even within your post, you went from "100% certain" to "basically 100%."

Maybe in 20 years, we'll find something in the favor of alien life, then we can say it's "basically 100%."

If anyone is interested in this topic there’s a thing called the Fermi Paradox that’s fun to read and think about : https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

spite house posted:

His brother is engaged to TSwift's erstwhile weirdly enmeshed BFF/possible secret partner, which is just another item to throw on the Darth Becky pile.

Nah, Karlie said they "grew apart" or something. Apparently a lot of her friends said they have barely seen her since she shacked up with her new man.

FML how do I even know this :psyduck:

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Cable Guy posted:

I can't remember if it was earlier in this thread, the Freeper thread, or maybe the PyF Funny pictures thread, but someone posted a tweet by some nutbag espousing the "every time a woman has sex she takes on some of the essence of the guy" theory.

There's also some evidence (iirc) that pregnancy can leave a woman with small gene packets from the father as part of her own genetic makeup (something to do with epigenetics - I really can't remember how correlated it was through actual data, but the human body is kinda amazing...)

You reckon that's what we have here? Sometime after giving birth to Donny Jr, Ivana had a gene packet make it's way epigenetically into an ova, where it waited a few years until it was fertilised... Donny x Donny instead of Donny x Ivana...?

You know, you could be onto something there...

Yeah, this is what happens to these threads when no big Trump scandals drop for about 47 minutes. I shudder to think what the Mike "I ate all my vegetables" Pence threads are going to look like when the time comes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Don Jr's chin always cracks me up. Looks like motherfucker is trying to suck on a black hole flavored everlasting gobstopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

Nah, Karlie said they "grew apart" or something. Apparently a lot of her friends said they have barely seen her since she shacked up with her new man.

FML how do I even know this :psyduck:

Because everyone loves Swift.

Everyone.

• Locked thread