Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kinda wanna run a dust bowl / Great Depression Geist game called The Geists of Wrath.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Meanwhile I wanna run a (mythology not owod) Orpheus-inspired Underworld beat-em-up and rescue mission game called River Cities Ransom where you defeat the unknowable Chtonian-or-just-a-greaser-that-got-weird, "Slick" to rescue your ghost girlfriend

Or combine the two into Hadestown: The Game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Meanwhile I wanna run a (mythology not owod) Orpheus-inspired Underworld beat-em-up and rescue mission game called River Cities Ransom where you defeat the unknowable Chtonian-or-just-a-greaser-that-got-weird, "Slick" to rescue your ghost girlfriend

BRB adding this exact scenario to the "reasons to go to the Underworld" section.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

GimpInBlack posted:

BRB adding this exact scenario to the "reasons to go to the Underworld" section.
You 100000% have my explicit written permission to do this verbatim if you are so inclined

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

cptn_dr posted:

Or combine the two into Hadestown: The Game!

Man, that album was so good, it's probably my favourite adaptation of the myth.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

GimpInBlack posted:

You're gonna love the Eaters of the Dead. :)

I'm guessing this isn't referring to werewolf's Eaters of the Dead lodge?

Are Reapers going to have their own section in the book, like the strix?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

nofather posted:

I'm guessing this isn't referring to werewolf's Eaters of the Dead lodge?

Are Reapers going to have their own section in the book, like the strix?

From context it's probably people who huff ghosts to extend their own lives. If you haven't read Expiration Date by Tim Powers I'd really recommend it. Theoretically, it's the second book in a series but they don't really tie in together that much and you're fine reading them out of order. The first book, Last Call, is also great though and a big inspiration for Unknown Armies.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Pentex Employee Indoctrination Guide is pretty great! The Endron section just keeps going back to to phallic/sexual imagery.

e: Also apparently everything Magadon makes might make you allergic to dogs?

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 16, 2018

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

neaden posted:

From context it's probably people who huff ghosts to extend their own lives. If you haven't read Expiration Date by Tim Powers I'd really recommend it. Theoretically, it's the second book in a series but they don't really tie in together that much and you're fine reading them out of order. The first book, Last Call, is also great though and a big inspiration for Unknown Armies.

I actually just read Last Call after years of only having read Expiration Date and I wasn’t really cognizant of just how much UA leaned on Last Call. If Geist 2.0 borrows from Expiration Date that can only be a good thing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I read Last Call before setting out to run Mage 2E, and I think that was the correct decision. One day I'll manage to make a Tarot card poker game happen in game.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pope Guilty posted:

Also apparently everything Magadon makes might make you allergic to dogs?

Pentex must be destroyed :stare:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

PantsOptional posted:

I actually just read Last Call after years of only having read Expiration Date and I wasn’t really cognizant of just how much UA leaned on Last Call. If Geist 2.0 borrows from Expiration Date that can only be a good thing.

Expiration Date, Mama, and ParaNorman were the three pieces of media I asked all my writers to consume. There are definitely other bits of inspiration--the Reapers in particular owe a fair bit to the Blacksuits in Max Gladstone's Three Parts Dead--but those three were the biggest.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm quoting myself from 2 years ago in the hopes that The Secret is real:

I want to play Geist where the designers just watched the movie Young Adult over and over until they got the feeling of Coming Back Wrong to a World That Doesn't Need You right.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

I have not seen that movie. Sorry. :(

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

GimpInBlack posted:

I have not seen that movie. Sorry. :(
It's on Hulu! Free trial! Charlize Theron! Patrick Wilson! Patton Oswalt! That inescapable sense that the thing you're attempting to recapture was never real and the best you can hope for is other people going through the motions enough to fool you into thinking your moment hasn't passed! And that you ever even had a moment!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

I haven't seen it either, but Coming Back Wrong to a World That Doesn't Need You does sound a bit more like a Changeling theme to me. The abuse themes get the bulk of obvious attention, but there are also elements of, for example, veterans coming home from war to a society they no longer quite fit in.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

It's on Hulu! Free trial! Charlize Theron! Patrick Wilson! Patton Oswalt! That inescapable sense that the thing you're attempting to recapture was never real and the best you can hope for is other people going through the motions enough to fool you into thinking your moment hasn't passed! And that you ever even had a moment!

Alas, I live in Europe, and last I checked Hulu had gotten wise to VPNs.

Anyways, that sounds more like Mummy, TBH.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I Am Just a Box posted:

I haven't seen it either, but Coming Back Wrong to a World That Doesn't Need You does sound a bit more like a Changeling theme to me. The abuse themes get the bulk of obvious attention, but there are also elements of, for example, veterans coming home from war to a society they no longer quite fit in.
Oooo a fair point, also everyone just watch the dang movie, the most unlikely movie for WoD themes I saw the first time I saw it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

New Signs of Sorcery post.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think you need to add a fictional layer here to veil the analogy for a morbid psychological/emotional state. Ideally one with cool outfits we can get art for. Then you'll have an nWoD book.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have been working on this for a day or two now - the Tanrilar, or Turko-Mongol Pantheon. Eventually I am going to turn this into a document I can sell via the upcoming DM's Guild-style program for Scion, even if I'm not a huge fan of DM's Guild style royalties vs normal DTRPG ones. I welcome comments and thoughts!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I really need to get into Scion in a hurry, but my brain is blinking a bit at digesting a system that is sort of, but not really, like Storyteller. It's kind of like trying to learn a language where about 50% of the words are English and the other half are new.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Mors Rattus posted:

I have been working on this for a day or two now - the Tanrilar, or Turko-Mongol Pantheon. Eventually I am going to turn this into a document I can sell via the upcoming DM's Guild-style program for Scion, even if I'm not a huge fan of DM's Guild style royalties vs normal DTRPG ones. I welcome comments and thoughts!

Kyzaghan's section stands out the most to me, with the WRESTLING RIVALRY against Takemikazuchi and his dislike for the Greco-Roman style. Like the Mongolian Yokozuna thing? More of that would be great.

For the other deities, I can certainly get a feel for who they are in the Turco-Mongol pantheon, but not quite who they are in Scion. To steal shamelessly from Glorantha for an example, there's the issue where Koyash is the sun, but Helios, Ra, and the Three-Legged Crow are also the sun. Science says that the sun is a massive ball of hydrogen fusion; do Hestia and Od Ana taunt the solar deities about this?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

I think the motif is off. The other pantheon motifs are pretty concrete, like "offer tobacco to the manitou," "get asked for aid," or "play with some yarn to alter fate." Depending on what you mean by "Entering and altering the spirit world," it's either too difficult or too easy to do in play. If you have spirit world stuff in mind for their signature pantheon purview, you should consider that characters aren't required to take the signature purview boons.

Otherwise, I think the fluff is very good! I'm curious what you have in mind for the pantheon purview.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 17, 2018

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
Demon Question

The Sabotage Embed works on machines, does that mean it works on prices of The GM, Infrastructure, and other "occult" machines? Or just mundane stuff?

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Looks like my Exalted game is going on Hiatus and everyone wants to try Changeling: the Lost next. I will be using first edition (rules not 100% out yet for second edition, my group would not react well to beats) and have some questions...

-Any traps or major problems that are not too obvious in this edition?
-Any good actual plays I can listen to?
-Any way I can let one of my player's character suggestion, his old redcap character who came from a durance that was a lot like Changeling: The Dreaming off lightly?
-Takes place in local city, villains going to be Cheiron Group and a group of Beasts moving in. Will have everyone work together to make up the NPCs and Power structure of the local Changeling population on the first session.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Pledgecrafting can do a lot in first edition. Look the pledge rules over and decide if you feel confident being able to spin these things out in play without slowing things down too much. If you do, encourage your players to think about situations where it would be appropriate to gain advantages via pledgecrafting. If you don't, keep in mind a lot of Contract clauses have relatively mild effects compared to other supernatural powers (compare the Contract of Smoke to the Obfuscate Discipline for example). If you have supplement books, check out Goblin Vows from Rites of Spring for an interesting variant on pledgecrafting.

In response to the redcap, I'd mostly drill in that the Durance is, by nature, not a lot like Changeling: the Dreaming. It's not always torturous or agonizing, but it is rather universally overwhelming in a way that shifts the changeling's mindset. I think redcaps were one of the old changelings who were more likely to regard themselves as faerie folk than as people? I don't know Old Changeling well. Regardless, drill in that the starting point is a human being, not a person raised as a human but with the secret potential for something different. Changelings are changed, not made, and there's a reason the change is thoroughgoing.

If you're talking about Primordial Beasts rather than the changeling Seeming, please don't use those guys, even as punching bags. They don't deserve being given the exposure, they'll be a hassle for you to mechanically convert to first edition rules, their mechanics are all over the place, and if you're not using their mechanics, why bother with the rest of the baggage. It's not like Hedge folk and Faerie emissaries wouldn't provide you with enough creatures of nightmare to righteously crusade against.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

pospysyl posted:

I think the motif is off. The other pantheon motifs are pretty concrete, like "offer tobacco to the manitou," "get asked for aid," or "play with some yarn to alter fate." Depending on what you mean by "Entering and altering the spirit world," it's either too difficult or too easy to do in play. If you have spirit world stuff in mind for their signature pantheon purview, you should consider that characters aren't required to take the signature purview boons.

Otherwise, I think the fluff is very good! I'm curious what you have in mind for the pantheon purview.

The motif and Pantheon Purview are still in the air, yeah. My basic idea is trying to pull on shamanic symbolism, since Mongolian and Turkic shamanism are a huge deal for real life Tengrism, but it's still weird and up in the air. (Though they'd use the words 'Qam' and 'Boge' rather than 'shaman', which is Russian.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NinjaPete posted:

Demon Question

The Sabotage Embed works on machines, does that mean it works on prices of The GM, Infrastructure, and other "occult" machines? Or just mundane stuff?

Remember that Infrastructure, as strange as it sounds, is not inherently supernatural -- the Occult Matrix is, but even that is just the consequence of bizarre physical laws that allow for seemingly unrelated causes to have remote, inexplicable, and disproportionate effects. Infrastructure can be something that behaves in an overtly supernatural way because it's the focus of an Occult Matrix, but it can also just be a guy who drives a truck between two other pieces of Infrastructure.

In more practical terms: I would say it doesn't matter if it's "occult" or not. Sabotage will work on anything that's an industrial machine. It would work on Infrastructure that is also a car or a centrifuge or an alarm clock just as well as it would on "mundane" versions of those things, because ultimately they're the same thing. It also wouldn't work on Infrastructure that is organic, or which isn't sufficiently complex or mechanical to fit the description. (Which is a very vague standard, but lots of stuff in Demon works on abstract cultural or linguistic divisions that don't make much sense from a purely physical standpoint.)

If you're using it on an Angel (or, say, a Promethean built from mechanical parts) then it's a harder question and honestly I'm not sure if "no" or "yes but resisted with supernatural tolerance" is a better answer. I'd probably lean towards "no" because it's basically an instant save-or-be totally disabled effect otherwise, but on the other hand, Demon is kind of full of overpowered bullshit and the GM would probably just send an Angel that's built like a human or three floating lion heads orbiting a miniature star next time instead.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 18, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Guys I don't feel well for some reason...

Maybe it's something I ate.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.linkedin.com/company/pentex-management/

And they've been around about 10 years longer than the WtA Pentex. I don't want to armchair lawyer, but does anyone know if there's some kind of copyright infringement here on White Wolf's part?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Guys I don't feel well for some reason...

Maybe it's something I ate.

So what'd you get? Eyes of the Wyrm? Third arm? We're all friends here. You can tell us.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

NinjaPete posted:

Demon Question

I would say yes so long as the bits your using the Embed on are mechanical in nature regardless if its mundane or occult. The real thing demons need to be wary of when pulling that off is making sure that the God-Machine doesn't recognize the disruption as being the handiwork of demons, which careless of embeds can easily result in.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

So what'd you get? Eyes of the Wyrm? Third arm? We're all friends here. You can tell us.

Some very good Mongolian Barbecue?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Some very good Mongolian Barbecue?

That sounds delicious. Doesn't make for a good Fomori, though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dawgstar posted:

That sounds delicious. Doesn't make for a good Fomori, though.
let me show you my homebrew, in which I

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I mean I was trying to come up with some "Internal Furnace" or "Savage Genitalia" related joke but honestly it's just good food :shrug:.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
This may have been (and probably was) covered at length on numerous other occasions, but with the recent release of the Beast PG I gotta ask: what's the deal with the Advanced Merits?

I can understand the appeal of Advanced Merits, and I can see how a supernaturally charged version of mortal Merits can be super-cool and thematic. I just don't understand why Beasts are the splat they were introduced in or, more to the point, limited to.

Sure, any Storyteller could make them available to other splats (I have, though my players don't even read their own splat books so I don't expect it to come up). I'm not even sure they're worth it, really, from a mechanical perspective. But I'm not sure I've ever read a justification for why, say, Beasts might purchase Advanced Eidetic Memory but Demons could not.

I don't want to go straight to blaming Mary-Sue wankery (which, admittedly, has been my chosen stance until now), but I've attacked this from a few different angles and I just don't see the logic behind it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
beast is a fractal of why would you do this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

Sure, any Storyteller could make them available to other splats (I have, though my players don't even read their own splat books so I don't expect it to come up). I'm not even sure they're worth it, really, from a mechanical perspective. But I'm not sure I've ever read a justification for why, say, Beasts might purchase Advanced Eidetic Memory but Demons could not.

Not to disagree with your point, as it's valid, but don't Demons sort of have that already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

But I'm not sure I've ever read a justification for why, say, Beasts might purchase Advanced Eidetic Memory but Demons could not.

Allowing a player to spend dots on really good recall when their splat comes free with perfect recall seems like kind of a dick move.

Speaking of, my favorite tidbit from the Demon player's guide is the idea that because demons have perfect recall, they are literally unable to forgive and forget. They feel every heartbreak (and triumph) of their lives as keenly as if it just happened, because as far as their recollections are concerned it may as well have.

And my favorite tidbit from Beast is the idea that Demons are wholly apart from the setting's other monsters, just gross little reality glitches that have fuckall to do with the Dark Mother.